ADVERTISEMENT

Ed Orgeron is my pick, who's on the short-list...?

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
As for other candidates:

Muschamp is going back to Auburn by all accounts.
My understanding is, Alliotti got bought out by Oregon and can't coach w/o effecting his severance.

I know Orgeron wants to be a HC, but reviving the Cougar defense might propel him into another role.

Orgeron has never been a DC. He's a DL coach. The last time he coached any other position was LBs at Nicholls State in 1994.

Originally posted by dgibbons:
Orgeron has never been a DC. He's a DL coach. The last time he coached any other position was LBs at Nicholls State in 1994.
Yeah, I was wondering if he had ever coordinated a defense before. Does anybody remember what Mele was coaching as a grad student before he became ST coach?

Originally posted by Coug1990:

Yeah, I was wondering if he had ever coordinated a defense before. Does anybody remember what Mele was coaching as a grad student before he became ST coach?
"Offensive quality control."

There is a difference between coordinating defense and knowing

defense. Ed O is a great recruiter because he recruited to SC. Didn't het get fired from Ole Miss?

Re: There is a difference between coordinating defense and knowing

Originally posted by CougEd:

defense. Ed O is a great recruiter because he recruited to SC. Didn't het get fired from Ole Miss?
He did. Still, he recruited well when he was there. But, I agree that being a great recruiter and good DL coach is different than being a good/great DC.

Somebody like David Gibbs from Houston would be an excellent hire. They should really look at Clancy Pendergast too. Both also coach the secondary too. Maybe hire Clancy to be the DC, then hire a corners and safeties coach.

Originally posted by Coug1990:

"Offensive quality control."
Thanks Dgibbons. He wasn't fired in the purge. He may have a job going forward. Don't know if stays at ST or moves to another position to coach. I guess we can start looking at Coachingsearch.com again.

Bo Pelini's name will get mentioned too. I suspect he'll hold out for a higher profile DC job, such as Florida.

Barry Odom, the defensive coordinator at Memphis is someone to take a look at for the job.

Not two coordinators. That made it very difficult for me to know who to yell at during Wulff's first three years.

If you wanna run the 34 just go to the source and hire one of their guys. The Pittsburgh Steelers. Have him coach up your assistant coaches so when he leaves you've got someone there who knows the scheme.

Originally posted by ttowncoug:

Maybe co-defensive coordinators? We have two positions open.
Two or three. Although ST are awful, I'm not sure about dedicating a coach to be only the special teams coordinator. Why not appoint Mastro? Mastro only has like 4 scholarship guys to coach. He's got to have some time on his hands.

And on the co-DCs, I don't care how who gets what title. The "pass defense coordinator" and "run defense coordinator" titles seem to get tossed around now. Maybe go with co- special teams coordinators.

The only thing I'm really hung up on is that we must have a DBs coach. I wouldn't mind a CBs coach and safeties coach.

Rex Ryan as the new DC
wink.r191677.gif

Didn't you rave about Breske and point to the numbers

at Wyoming? Why didn't it work?

Re: Didn't you rave about Breske and point to the numbers

I think the big question is why didn't it work consistently. When it worked it worked extremely well when it was bad it was extremely bad.

I think the problem with his defense here was that it's a very gamble intensive defense, and when you have a young secondary / slow speed in comparison to the opposition you can get burned... and I mean burned bad.

I remember a few times when we blitzed there was a 1 on 1 and it was over. I remember a corner blitz and I think stanford the guy was wide open. Rutgers Tracy Clark burned first play.

Guys too slow to the gap getting cutback lanes torched. At Wyoming the talent probably was as deficient as it was here since they were in the MWC, and at Montana they are one of the better FCS programs so better talent than the compeition...

Here we are at a major talent deficiency (the gap is closing, but when they got here it was significant, and with so many really young guys I mean now your problem is youth...so you are running a gambling defense with young guys...not good.)

I thought it would be much better considering how seasoned our front 7 was, and when they actually played well the defense looked totally different...actually good. But when they were off the secondary was murdered, and when they were off the gaps left huge holes.

Unfortunate that it didn't work.

I think the big question is why didn't it work consistently. When it worked it worked extremely well when it was bad it was extremely bad.

I think the problem with his defense here was that it's a very gamble intensive defense, and when you have a young secondary / slow speed in comparison to the opposition you can get burned... and I mean burned bad.

I remember a few times when we blitzed there was a 1 on 1 and it was over. I remember a corner blitz and I think stanford the guy was wide open. Rutgers Tracy Clark burned first play.

Guys too slow to the gap getting cutback lanes torched. At Wyoming the talent probably was as deficient as it was here since they were in the MWC, and at Montana they are one of the better FCS programs so better talent than the compeition...

Here we are at a major talent deficiency (the gap is closing, but when they got here it was significant, and with so many really young guys I mean now your problem is youth...so you are running a gambling defense with young guys...not good.)

I thought it would be much better considering how seasoned our front 7 was, and when they actually played well the defense looked totally different...actually good. But when they were off the secondary was murdered, and when they were off the gaps left huge holes.

Unfortunate that it didn't work.

I'm on the DJ Durkin bandwagon. Would be cool with David Gibbs as well. Assuming we strike out on the big names. Gonna have to pony up $ regardless.

No nose guard, no 34. No pass rushing linebacker, no 34. No big hitting safety, no 34.

He had 1 1/2 last year. They graduated. This year he had none of the 3 needed. WSU got smoked.

Originally posted by CougSinceBirth:
I'm on the DJ Durkin bandwagon. Would be cool with David Gibbs as well. Assuming we strike out on the big names. Gonna have to pony up $ regardless.
Durkin is the interim HC at Florida and is supposed to coach the bowl game. Might cause some timing problems.

We have two open spots and a possible 3rd if the grad assistant does not become a permanent staff member.

Most of the name guys that might possibly be had as DC are older and would probably not want to put in the intensive road hours that go with recruiting. It will be important to fill at least 2 out of the 3 open spots with guys who have both the talent and desire to spend successful road time recruiting. That is generally a younger person's role.

Some people have floated Ball's name for DC. I like that idea if he can be moved out of Tempe, where his role seems to have diminished. He seemed to me to be a pretty good coach and also good in the living room on recruiting visits.

There have been several major programs that have cut loose their staffs already this season, and there will be more. I could live with an older DC who knows what he is doing but doesn't want to live on the road during recruiting season...but ideally he would bring another, younger assistant with him who is a good coach and can also recruit. I actually think that this is a likely scenario if we don't promote from within or hire Ball.

Apparently a fair amount of tOSU fans want to fire their Co-DC Luke Fickell for Muschamp; I mean, I'd take him if they don't want him.

Looks like they were 29th in total D if I read the link correctly. Fickell made 600k this season from quick research.

NCAA Defensive Stats

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT