ADVERTISEMENT

Flynn just tweeted that he's transferring

Whoever is the last player in Beasley from either program please turn out the lights.

This is sad for WSU - Malaki is really good.

I don’t blame him for leaving - those kids put in a ton of work and to know you will never see post season play must be hard.

Sadly, Flynn will be better off away from Ernie and Ernie’s program.

Good luck Malaki and thanks for playing basketball the right way - you were a pleasure to watch.

This is the ultimate denunciation of the Kent regime. His legitimacy for leading this program is no longer in question.

It will be interesting to see what Kent says. People are expecting this to be the death knell for Kent s program I do not think that it is a cut and dry affair. The only way he leaves is if he retires.The money owned to him is what will keep Kent from leaving unless he wants to retire. And for anyone to be on cloud nine,the only ones are the Kent Haters who want the worst for his program.Curtis Allen has removed his twitter page and one does not have to wonder why.. Stay tuned for further developments

Let's be clear - I'm NOT a Kent hater. He was served up a generous set of golden handcuffs by the previous athletic director.

That's a Moos problem, not an Ernie problem. Talk about making an offer you can't refuse. Big Bill did just that. Ernie is an idiot if he walks away from free money. Nobody would do that. For $1.4 million per year every single person on this message board would sit on the bench and take L's over and over again. And then knowing you've got 3 more years of $1.4 Million?!? Ka-friggin'-ching.

Ernie is simply the fortunate recipient of Moos' middle fingers to the university. I don't hate Ernie for that.

Reactions: Cougzz
Gary Andersen's the only guy I ever heard just walked away AND gave up the money. We are so curb stomped. Honestly though who would take over this cluster **** if Kent left anyway?

I guess if it is all about Malachi, then it is fine for him to go.

I actually deal with kids his age who have some concept of personal honor, and if given the opportunity that he was given, would think twice about thinking only of himself.

But maybe there simply are not any athletes these days who have those scruples. They are treated as being special from the time that they distinguish themselves from their peers. Which is of course no service to them, since when they don't make it in the pro's they lack many of the other things that could help them be successful in life. Maybe we are all complicit in establishing their self centered view of things. If none of the rules apply to you, why not just look out for yourself?

I am just very disappointed, as you can probably tell.

And Franks will not get drafted by the NBA (this year; at least high enough to make a team), so will have a choice of either staying at WSU, trying to wash cars while he plays with a developmental team, or go play semi-pro in lower Slobovia some place. Robo improved a lot this year. With one more year in the PAC he might have been a legit NBA draft pick. He may yet realize that, though that is unlikely if he is listening to a sleazy agent and has no adults to advise him.

This is sad for WSU - Malaki is really good.

I don’t blame him for leaving - those kids put in a ton of work and to know you will never see post season play must be hard.

Sadly, Flynn will be better off away from Ernie and Ernie’s program.

Good luck Malaki and thanks for playing basketball the right way - you were a pleasure to watch.

“Sadly, Flynn will be better off away from Ernie and Ernie’s program.”
You really mean WSU will be better off away from Ernie and Ernie’s program. The rest of the PAC-12 must be laughing at WSU. This is the kind of crap that will get WSU replaced in the conference.

“Sadly, Flynn will be better off away from Ernie and Ernie’s program.”
You really mean WSU will be better off away from Ernie and Ernie’s program. The rest of the PAC-12 must be laughing at WSU. This is the kind of crap that will get WSU replaced in the conference.

Blow things out of proportion much?

That said, do I get it right that both these Washington kids were Curtis Allen recruits? A post above indicates that. This is really intriguing. Did EK lose the team and Allen was all that was holding it (or this part of it) together?

While I hold no hope that EK would do the honorable Gary Anderson/Sherri Murrell thing and walk away, I keep holding out hope that he will agree to some sort of lesser amount to "retire". There are lots of coaches that have walked away from coaching and left money on the table because it was time to go - and many of them were successful at the time - not the joke of the profession. At least that's what Bob Stoops told me. Hell so did Dick Bennett, twice.

Just waiting for the rumor mills to fire up over a couple more transfer possibilities. This is going to be a National Enquirer kind of an off-season. Colorado and CAL, not to mention Pepperdine and Gonzaga, must be in stitches.

Interesting. Some or rather one poster is blasting Flynn ,basically calling him a spoiled kid on the other board.. i do not know the particulars but if Flynn is following Allen ,then it is on Allen.If he transfers to another school in hopes of being on a winning team,then it may be more understandable.Who knows .perhasp there may be other recruits who will fill the bill. It is hard to put a positive spin on this but one just has to wait and see how everything unfolds.

Ernie Kent s twitter just thanks Flynn and wishes him and his family well . So there you go,i fully expect Kent to continue as the basketball coach. He is in charge and will only go if he decides to retire. Maybe like avabob,he is getting too old for this? I sometimes wonder why i keep following basketball but i love the game and i graduated from WSU,so they are the team i follow.

If all these kids are truly leaving, is it possible Kent is also gone and the AD is actively looking for a replacement? The players may know something we don’t.

If I remember right, WSU was Malachi Flynn’s only big-time offer coming out of Bellarmine Prep.

He was headed to the Pacific Tigers and the WCAC before CEK gave him an opportunity to play in a high-major conference.

Really was thinking 2018-19 could be a turnaround season, but if Franks and Flynn both leave ...

Well, Hopefully Coach Kent has a few tricks up his sleeve.

Last edited:
This is the kind of crap that will get WSU replaced in the conference.

Huh?

For a couple sub-par seasons in men’s basketball?

What about the bowl games, good crowds and enthusiasm in football?

Where does this speculation even come from?

There must be a lot of turmoil in the program that was kept under wraps. Curtis Allen, Franks, Flynn....what's next? It's hard to just blame the assistant coach who left and the players, without wondering if the head coach is most responsible for what's going on.

The program really does seem to be totally blowing up. I didn't like the EK hire from the start, but it's sad to see what's going on now.

Glad Cougar

Followed the Cougs in hoops religiously for 50 years. This is worse than the end of the Graham era. At least we had Moore and Kelati to build around with Bennett coming in.

I didnt want to believe this could get to Graham levels but we are upon it and potentially even worse.

CPG had a 9-63 conference record in his 4 seasons at WSU.

CEK is 18-54 in Pac-12 play since taking over the basketball program in 2014.

Surprised to see, though, that Ernie also had losing conference records in his 2 previous head coaching stints at UO and St. Mary’s in the WCAC.

Think Dick Bennett wants to come back out of retirement? Maybe he has a grandson that he wants to set up as a HC?

Followed the Cougs in hoops religiously for 50 years. This is worse than the end of the Graham era. At least we had Moore and Kelati to build around with Bennett coming in.
Actually was looking back at the roster Dick's first year and doing the comparison. This was with Flynn of course. We will see transfers like never before.

Sadly, our team wasn't that far away from being decent this year. It was nowhere near where it should have been if Kent was the right man for the job, but with all of our youth, it looked like next year might have the potential for a NIT invitation if nothing else. Kent is still probably going to get next season at this point, because I don't think WSU can afford to fire him, but I can't imagine him salvaging the situation at this point. As frustrating as the team has been, the comparisons to Graham are kind of laughable. Single digit win totals were all too common on that man's watch.

Let's be clear - I'm NOT a Kent hater. He was served up a generous set of golden handcuffs by the previous athletic director.

That's a Moos problem, not an Ernie problem. Talk about making an offer you can't refuse. Big Bill did just that. Ernie is an idiot if he walks away from free money. Nobody would do that. For $1.4 million per year every single person on this message board would sit on the bench and take L's over and over again. And then knowing you've got 3 more years of $1.4 Million?!? Ka-friggin'-ching.

Ernie is simply the fortunate recipient of Moos' middle fingers to the university. I don't hate Ernie for that.

Well we are going to find out just how good the new AD is. He knew he was taking over a difficult situation created by "bag of hammers" Bill, and it just got worse, far worse. Any idiot AD can let the clock run out on Ernie's contract. The question is can he come up with a way to get us out of this mess, without us actually suffering the realistic 0-54 we are facing. If only Ernie was young, had a family to support and had his career ahead of him. He might see this a huge wake up call, like Price did, twice. Instead, two years from social security, he's making $118,000 a month for the 35 months -- what incentive does he have?

No one in their right mind would compare any coach to the disaster that was Paul Graham, but I understand what Ferris and Avabob are talking about when they sense where the program is right now....two key players are seemingly leaving the program and recruiting has never been up to Pac-12 standards under Kent. That leaves the future of the program on shaky ground, and at least at the end of Graham's awful tenure, Marcus Moore and Kelati were on board. If Franks and Flynn are gone, I don't see a Moore or Kelati unless Ellerby makes a big impact, which he could.

I'm not sure this team was close to being decent. Until Kent can prove he can lead the team to something better than 10th or 11th place, (he tied with 2 other teams for 8th place his first year, the high water mark of his tenure so far), I'm skeptical the program will ever see the NIT or better.

Glad Cougar

Well people better get used to seeing Kent at the helm. He does not indicate any signs of wanting to fold his tent. WSU cannot afford a buy out and Kent will be around for at least one more year. One hopes that he wins a few of his current recruiting battles. The loss of Flynn and Franks is a big blow to his rebuilding efforts This effort seems to be in flux to say the least..So far,we have not heard anything from Kent s two assistants, Bennie Seltzer and Ed Haskins. Those two guys are the keys to his recruiting efforts. Their ability to attract and sell the program to prospective recruits and their families is key.

No one in their right mind would compare any coach to the disaster that was Paul Graham, but I understand what Ferris and Avabob are talking about when they sense where the program is right now....two key players are seemingly leaving the program and recruiting has never been up to Pac-12 standards under Kent. That leaves the future of the program on shaky ground, and at least at the end of Graham's awful tenure, Marcus Moore and Kelati were on board. If Franks and Flynn are gone, I don't see a Moore or Kelati unless Ellerby makes a big impact, which he could.

I'm not sure this team was close to being decent. Until Kent can prove he can lead the team to something better than 10th or 11th place, (he tied with 2 other teams for 8th place his first year, the high water mark of his tenure so far), I'm skeptical the program will ever see the NIT or better.

Glad Cougar

The team definitely knew how to lose games and go on cold shooting streaks but they were playing pretty good basketball to start the season. K-State went to the Elite 8 and we gave them everything that they could handle and arguably should have won that game. That win over St. Mary's still looks good and SDSU was solid (although unremarkable). Unfortunately, it was a young, mentally fragile group and the loss to UC Davis seemed to put them into a funk that they struggled to get out from and the KSU loss furthered that. This team, playing at its peak, was capable of finishing 17-13 instead of 12-18 on the regular season. That's not good, but it might have been good enough to keep the team intact. As it is, it feels like the rats are fleeing a sinking ship and that is not a good thing.

Yes i think that the players should have looked at themselves first. However,i do see them as "rats fleeing a sinking ship".I am not privy to what went on behind the scenes. The two departing players got a chance to prove they belonged in D1 basketball and they did. Now one is leaving to another school and i wish him well. Franks ,it seems to me is making a big mistake in thinking that he is NBA ready. I hope they prosper with their choice but it leaves one wondering if they have both made the right choice

Something is going on down there that has not come to light. This season wasn't just a case of a team getting unconsciously hot for 6 games then coming back to reality. They didn't even look like the same team for the next 18 games. There were long stretches of many conference games where it looked like Franks was mailing it in. Flynn was tremendously up and down, although he gave lights out effort even when making bad decisions. There was some bad chemistry, and this looks like it is on Ernie

Well we are going to find out just how good the new AD is. He knew he was taking over a difficult situation created by "bag of hammers" Bill, and it just got worse, far worse. Any idiot AD can let the clock run out on Ernie's contract. The question is can he come up with a way to get us out of this mess, without us actually suffering the realistic 0-54 we are facing. If only Ernie was young, had a family to support and had his career ahead of him. He might see this a huge wake up call, like Price did, twice. Instead, two years from social security, he's making $118,000 a month for the 35 months -- what incentive does he have?

The money was being invested into the football program. Ernie, or whoever was going to be hired, was slated to be a caretaker for the program until the expected revenue from the Pac-12 network, etc. arrived.

Investing in the football program was the right move. Now, why Ernie has a roll over contract, and why his contract was rolled over as many times as it has been are obviously subject to scrutiny.

Something is going on down there that has not come to light. This season wasn't just a case of a team getting unconsciously hot for 6 games then coming back to reality. They didn't even look like the same team for the next 18 games. There were long stretches of many conference games where it looked like Franks was mailing it in. Flynn was tremendously up and down, although he gave lights out effort even when making bad decisions. There was some bad chemistry, and this looks like it is on Ernie
Actually Flynn was benched mid-way through Pac 12 for LACK of effort.
It is hard to notice in a "Defense Last" system.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT