ADVERTISEMENT

Fullington sighting

COUGinNCW

Hall Of Fame
Oct 5, 2010
Running off the field after crazy Vikings playoff win. What a game by the way.

PS - the spread was 5 and they made them come out for the extra point.

And the Vikings took a knee rather than kick it. I'm sure some gamblers are furious.

Nonetheless, an incredible miracle win for the Vikings. Poorly played by the Saints' defensive back, but a great final 3 minutes that included 4 lead changes.

Glad Cougar

And the Vikings took a knee rather than kick it. I'm sure some gamblers are furious.

Nonetheless, an incredible miracle win for the Vikings. Poorly played by the Saints' defensive back, but a great final 3 minutes that included 4 lead changes.

Glad Cougar

Poorly played is an understatement. Geezus. All he had to do was make a textbook tackle, in bounds, and game over. Instead he goes for the big hit, shoulders out and arms in. I learned better in freshman HS football.

Running off the field after crazy Vikings playoff win. What a game by the way.

PS - the spread was 5 and they made them come out for the extra point.

Also wanted to say Congrats to Fullington - 4 years bouncing around the league on practice squads before finally getting a shot on an active roster for the Saint's last regular season game and the 2 playoff games. Way to persevere JF.

Also wanted to say Congrats to Fullington - 4 years bouncing around the league on practice squads before finally getting a shot on an active roster for the Saint's last regular season game and the 2 playoff games. Way to persevere JF.

It doesn't validate the poor recruiting that led to 9 and 40, but it says something about one player's perseverance. I'm happy he rose from that dung heap and continues to rise.

Reactions: earldacoug
It doesn't validate the poor recruiting that led to 9 and 40, but it says something about one player's perseverance. I'm happy he rose from that dung heap and continues to rise.
Fullington has now played for two (former) WSU coaches who are associated with two of the most bizarre & unorthodox Victory Formations of all time - Mike Zimmer & Paul Wulff.

(Wulff was on the receiving end from USC & Pete Carroll of the "Wulff Formation" at the end of the first half during the 2008 Possum Bowl which is before Fullington's time but he likely heard of about it)

I disagree. This confirms the keen eye for talent that he had. He is the greatest talent evaluator that the school has ever had. Plus, we had the added bonus that he did it the right way.

Reactions: YakiCoug
I disagree. This confirms the keen eye for talent that he had. He is the greatest talent evaluator that the school has ever had. Plus, we had the added bonus that he did it the right way.

And we had Jim Walden to tell us all about it.

Reactions: Coug1990
Fullington has now played for two (former) WSU coaches who are associated with two of the most bizarre & unorthodox Victory Formations of all time - Mike Zimmer & Paul Wulff.

(Wulff was on the receiving end from USC & Pete Carroll of the "Wulff Formation" at the end of the first half during the 2008 Possum Bowl which is before Fullington's time but he likely heard of about it)

No. Fullington is on the Saints roster.

Poorly played is an understatement. Geezus. All he had to do was make a textbook tackle, in bounds, and game over. Instead he goes for the big hit, shoulders out and arms in. I learned better in freshman HS football.
Its crap like that tackle that makes you seriously wonder about fixing. I mean, come the fck on, really? Who does that?

Its crap like that tackle that makes you seriously wonder about fixing. I mean, come the fck on, really? Who does that?

Who does that? Just about every player in the game today at some point in a game. It's rare to see a game where a tackle isn't missed because some fool went for the big hit instead of a form tackle.

either way they were in reasonable field goal range had he stepped out or was pushed out - with that angle would have been tough to keep Diggs in bounds I think

crazy incredible play all around

Trying to get a few more clicks on the free board? No one ever said he was the greatest evaluator the school has ever had. He did a nice job of spotting talent where no one else did. In my time Price was the best.

But let's just take a look at things since you brought up evaluation. In four years at a position where I would even say was a hard position for Wulff to get numbers, he had one player on the offensive line he recruited that got drafted by Atlanta in Jake Rodgers. He was the only one who spotted talent in Joe Dahl and offered him a D1 scholie, who went on to get drafted. Fullington wasn't drafted but is on a roster. Have any of Leach's oline recruits in the first four years been drafted or been on a roster? I would guess this year two may get drafted this year.

I think on the defensive line Wulff had one drafted in I believe the 3rd round. I believe Leach in fours years has one player in Destiny on an NFL roster.

QB? Tuel. And my guess is Luke will be drafted late this spring. DB Wulff had one drafted in the first round. I don't recall any of Leach's recruits from the first four years being drafted that played in the defensive backfield.

WR Mayle 4th round, Wilson 7th.

Interesting look at talent.

Trying to get a few more clicks on the free board? No one ever said he was the greatest evaluator the school has ever had. He did a nice job of spotting talent where no one else did. In my time Price was the best.

But let's just take a look at things since you brought up evaluation. In four years at a position where I would even say was a hard position for Wulff to get numbers, he had one player on the offensive line he recruited that got drafted by Atlanta in Jake Rodgers. He was the only one who spotted talent in Joe Dahl and offered him a D1 scholie, who went on to get drafted. Fullington wasn't drafted but is on a roster. Have any of Leach's oline recruits in the first four years been drafted or been on a roster? I would guess this year two may get drafted this year.

I think on the defensive line Wulff had one drafted in I believe the 3rd round. I believe Leach in fours years has one player in Destiny on an NFL roster.

QB? Tuel. And my guess is Luke will be drafted late this spring. DB Wulff had one drafted in the first round. I don't recall any of Leach's recruits from the first four years being drafted that played in the defensive backfield.

Doesn't that show the parity between NCAA and NFL? I mean, still look at the difference in the wins/losses column and CML is getting what? 5 or 6 players in the NFL and Wulff got a couple? We have a 9 win season, Wulff... didn't. I think what you are pointing out has nothing to do with anything but shows the massive leap between being successful in the NCAA and the NFL. Just my .02 worth.

We’re just reaching the point where Leach’s first real recruits (2013 class) are graduating. So, no surprise. Also, as has been discussed ad naseum on this board, you will give Wulff all the credit for guys that he recruited, but none to Leach for developing that same guy. So, I guess we should be giving Wulff all the credit for three bowl games in a row since Salmonson was still on the roster in 2017.

We’ve also had the pac-12 all time leading receiver and QB during Leach’s tenure.

Doesn't that show the parity between NCAA and NFL? I mean, still look at the difference in the wins/losses column and CML is getting what? 5 or 6 players in the NFL and Wulff got a couple? We have a 9 win season, Wulff... didn't. I think what you are pointing out has nothing to do with anything but shows the massive leap between being successful in the NCAA and the NFL. Just my .02 worth.
We’re just reaching the point where Leach’s first real recruits (2013 class) are graduating. So, no surprise. Also, as has been discussed ad naseum on this board, you will give Wulff all the credit for guys that he recruited, but none to Leach for developing that same guy. So, I guess we should be giving Wulff all the credit for three bowl games in a row since Salmonson was still on the roster in 2017.

We’ve also had the pac-12 all time leading receiver and QB during Leach’s tenure.
Umm...I thought I was responding to 1990's remark about eye for talent. Of course I give Leach credit for developing players that have talent.

Not sure I understand the question or even comment. There are several aspects in college coaching vs coaching in the pros. In college a school is directly responsible to identify and acquire the talent. Some players it takes one minute of tape and his film jumps off at you. Identifying A- players isn't easy. The players with good coaching that will turn out to be really good players. There was one school for example that looked at Trufant and said "you are a corner". To me, that is great talent evaluation. (Bill Doba looked at a kid from Rainier Beach and he thought was the next Trufant. Not even close.) Then it took very good coaching and to get Trufant drafted in the first round. What I have learned in college is you not only have to evaluate the talent, but them you have to sell it. In the NFL in terms of the draft you simply identify the talent.

In college, especially at WSU it is a tough gig to not only identify talent but to sell it and sign it. In my industry the sales people drive the industry. They are the engine. You can have great managers (coaches), but if you don't have the engine the car literally does not run. But if the engine runs fine and the tranny (managers suck) the car still runs, just not efficiently.

So yeah I always put a premium on talent acquisition. Mike Leach by his name gets kids from day one to look at WSU. Lack of a better term, street cred. I knew the day he was hired the first position that he would be able to make inroads on was the offensive line, a position where Doba, Price, Erickson and Wulff all struggled with quantity and quality.

So yeah, I have always believed the hardest part of the job is getting talented players and why I put such a premium on that. As Leach has said more than once coaching is coaching, level does not matter. It didn't matter to him Clay McGuire never coached the oline before..

Umm...I thought I was responding to 1990's remark about eye for talent. Of course I give Leach credit for developing players that have talent.

You’ve brought up that safety from Eastern and Rodgers as examples of Wulff’s magic eye for talent. The safety played exactly zero snaps for Wulff at Eastern. Rodgers did actually play for Wulff for part of one season.

Ed's just doing what he's done since 2008 - defend Paul Wulff. It's interesting that he points out Joe Dahl, but it's a well established fact that Wulff offered Dahl only as an afterthought in 2011, and long after Montana's Robin Pflugrad had already identified Dahl's talent, and also at a time Wulff should have had many more offers out there for o-line prospects. When Leach arrived, there were six o-linemen on scholarship but only three should have been (Leach's description). So, in offering up Dahl as evidence of Wulff's recruiting prowess, Erictile actually exposes one of the major holes Leach encountered upon his arrival.
And it isn't lost on astute observers here that Ed still obsesses over Wulff and Walden. Twenty-six wins in three years? Not at all.

Last edited:
You’ve brought up that safety from Eastern and Rodgers as examples of Wulff’s magic eye for talent. The safety played exactly zero snaps for Wulff at Eastern. Rodgers did actually play for Wulff for part of one season.

And Rodgers was recruited as a tight end, not as an offensive lineman. And in case anyone has forgotten, Wulff signed six high school o-line prospects in four years. That's how you get to 6 and 40.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT