ADVERTISEMENT

Game at Houston

walzuu

Team Captain
Nov 23, 2016
Is anyone planing on traveling to Houston for next years game? Moving the game to Friday makes it harder for me to swing, but I am glad it will be played indoors. I’m still on the fence.

Is anyone planing on traveling to Houston for next years game? Moving the game to Friday makes it harder for me to swing, but I am glad it will be played indoors. I’m still on the fence.

I'd prefer spending my road trip dollars on a warm weather site late in the season. Was thinking Cal in early November but the Bay Area can be a little dicey that time of year from what I understand.

I'd prefer spending my road trip dollars on a warm weather site late in the season. Was thinking Cal in early November but the Bay Area can be a little dicey that time of year from what I understand.
I was completing ASU, but it might be too early in the season to appreciate it.

I'll be there, but it's an easy trip for me. I suspect our showing may be a bit less than it would have absent the Alamo Bowl appearance in the same (general) area to close out last season. Thankfully, the game will be indoors and climate controlled.

We are thinking of going to the game in Houston. We are planning on going to the home opener in Pullman though, so a 20 hour round trip drive a little over a week later isn't super exciting. If we were to take my son & daughter, they'd miss two days of school......which you can imagine that the school districts frown upon. We'll give it a more serious look as the time approaches.

I’m considering a trip to Vegas on one of the byes.

I was completing ASU, but it might be too early in the season to appreciate it.
Tempe is usually a great trip for Coug games. Have done it many times, but not since moving to Montana. That was back in the days when 10+ games a year was the norm for me.

My wife and I are going to Houston. We lived in Houston for two years in the mid-80s and still have friends there. Gives us a chance to check out some of our old haunts, although I bet most are gone now. Already booked an AirBnB near NRG Field.

If you go, consider flying into Hobby Airport -- much like Love in Dallas or Midway in Chicago, can save some commute time. I think SW flies into Hobby.

I am very happy the game with UH is indoor in a climate-controlled arena. I do not miss the heat and humidity there.

Reactions: walzuu
Can't think of anything much more miserable than Houston in late August/early September.

Pass.

Get Memphis, Vanderbilt or Tulane on the schedule. Still sweaty messes that time of year but the cities are fun. Hell, Kentucky -though Lexington is only good for about 8 hours of interesting activities besides drinking bourbon.

My wife and I are going to Houston. We lived in Houston for two years in the mid-80s and still have friends there. Gives us a chance to check out some of our old haunts, although I bet most are gone now. Already booked an AirBnB near NRG Field.

If you go, consider flying into Hobby Airport -- much like Love in Dallas or Midway in Chicago, can save some commute time. I think SW flies into Hobby.

I am very happy the game with UH is indoor in a climate-controlled arena. I do not miss the heat and humidity there.

TZ, I spent much of the 80's in OK/TX...not Houston, but I was there many times on business. The most striking Houston changes to me are the rebuilding of Downtown into somewhere you might actually want to go, and what a difference stop lights make as opposed to the 4 way stop signs that were everywhere back then. What do you perceive as the major differences?

SD, I like Tempe from about mid-October on. Before that you are taking your chances unless you like heat. And CouginNCW, Cal should be very nice in early November. The peninsula can be downright frigid with the wrong weather, but unless you get a big rainstorm (not common in early Nov, but not impossible) the east side of the bay should be nice. And there is no view anywhere in college football to match the view from the top of the south end of Cal's stadium. You hear a lot about the Husky stadium view, but for me nothing compares to the Golden Gate/Alcatraz/San Francisco view as you near sunset. A much better view than football team most years!! ;)

SD, I like Tempe from about mid-October on. Before that you are taking your chances unless you like heat. And CouginNCW, Cal should be very nice in early November. The peninsula can be downright frigid with the wrong weather, but unless you get a big rainstorm (not common in early Nov, but not impossible) the east side of the bay should be nice. And there is no view anywhere in college football to match the view from the top of the south end of Cal's stadium. You hear a lot about the Husky stadium view, but for me nothing compares to the Golden Gate/Alcatraz/San Francisco view as you near sunset. A much better view than football team most years!! ;)

My wife was real big on the idea of retiring in the Phoenix area in another 12 years or so. We went to Seattle last month and she started to think that she could handle rainy cool weather in Seattle better than she could handle 105° in October in Phoenix.

Of course, affording a house in Washington is a different conversation these days.

TZ, I spent much of the 80's in OK/TX...not Houston, but I was there many times on business. The most striking Houston changes to me are the rebuilding of Downtown into somewhere you might actually want to go, and what a difference stop lights make as opposed to the 4 way stop signs that were everywhere back then. What do you perceive as the major differences?
I really haven't spent much time in Houston since about 1986 (moved to Austin and then Portland), so it's going to be really interesting just to check out where we used to live and work. When I have been back to Houston infrequently, it just seems so much bigger than it was when we lived there, but so does Austin.

I really haven't spent much time in Houston since about 1986 (moved to Austin and then Portland), so it's going to be really interesting just to check out where we used to live and work. When I have been back to Houston infrequently, it just seems so much bigger than it was when we lived there, but so does Austin.

I've been to Houston, but not for many, many more years than you.

Let's just put it this way - the last time I was there, we visited the Manned Space Center the day one of the crews of an Apollo mission to the moon were getting out of quarantine, after their safe return. It was quite an event to see, along with what was, back then, a really cool tour.

We also went to a baseball game in the Astrodome. INDOOR STADIUM!!! OMG!! (LOL LOL) One of the "Wonders of the World" (supposedly) at the time. Cincinnati Reds, of "Big Red Machine" fame (with Griffey Sr, Johnny Bench, Dave Concepcion, George Foster, Joe Morgan, Pete Rose, Tony Perez, Cesar Geronimo and managed by the "Main Spark" - Sparky Anderson) played the Astros. The Reds beat the Astros on a Joe Morgan HR in the 12th. We stayed until they chased us out when they were turning the lights off. It was an amazing place at the time.

I was just a HS kid at the time. My sister still lives in the Dallas area and I've been to San Antonio (COUGS! And my daughter's soccer team played some games there, too) and Dallas/Ft Worth a number of times. But never back to Houston and the Gulf Coast (Galveston/ Padre Island, etc, etc).

So, yeah.....Damn the humidity! Full speed ahead. I'm going back for the game this season with some buddies I usually travel with to away games.....if it's humanly possible for me to do so.

I spent what are likely the 2 most miserable days of my career in Houston in the late 1990s. Neither the humidity or the temperature got below about 95. Traffic sucked. IAH sucked - and I got to spend 4 hours there when I got bumped from my flight. And then the salt in the wound was my flight circling Seattle for 2 hours waiting to land.

I did enjoy my lunch at Monument Inn though. The one and only time I've eaten gator. Not enough to go back for another summer day in Houston though. If I ever visit again, it'll be in more favorable weather - somewhere that isn't in summer, hurricane season, tornado season, or monsoon season.

My wife was real big on the idea of retiring in the Phoenix area in another 12 years or so. We went to Seattle last month and she started to think that she could handle rainy cool weather in Seattle better than she could handle 105° in October in Phoenix.

Of course, affording a house in Washington is a different conversation these days.
Flat, you and everyone else will think I'm crazy but my wife & I relocated to the Midwest when we retired after spending virtually our entire lives in Oregon. We're going through a brutal winter here in the Dakotas and we certainly miss friends, family, and beautiful scenery of the PNW. But our one and only grandchild is 10 minutes away and that more than enough makes our decision to move a good one. (Also enjoy the friendly people back here, zero traffic problems....except for snow drifts...and the significantly lower cost of living.)

It does make it more difficult to attend WSU football games. We try to make it to Pullman once a year.

Glad Cougar

I do plan to get back to Texas to watch the Cougs. Been to San Antonio twice and Dallas once for the same reason. Looking forward to checking out the Houston area. Will be with 2-3 of my travelling buddies, one has already responded to this post.

I hope I can meet up with Biggs down there, haven't seen him in a long time. Tried to get in touch with him at the Alamo Dome, but apparently the phone # I had for him is no longer valid. Too bad. BTW, what are you doing in Texas, Biggs? And do you know what TrueCoug2 is up to these days? Just curious.

Stretch

Flat, we plan to transition to Arizona within 6 years, and personally can't wait. There are cooler areas in the desert than Phoenix....(Cave Creek, Surprise and Scottsdale). The cooler climate would be Flagstaff, (but we like Cave Creek, better).

There are suburbs in Seattle that are deals. For school district, by far Lakemont, (Issaquah) is a smart investment. If you don't need the school district, Newcastle and Renton remains affordable.

The biggest demand for retirement communities in Western Washington is Bellingham and Lacey. Remember to consider.....one level rambler with no stairs.

Last edited:
I do plan to get back to Texas to watch the Cougs. Been to San Antonio twice and Dallas once for the same reason. Looking forward to checking out the Houston area. Will be with 2-3 of my travelling buddies, one has already responded to this post.

I hope I can meet up with Biggs down there, haven't seen him in a long time. Tried to get in touch with him at the Alamo Dome, but apparently the phone # I had for him is no longer valid. Too bad. BTW, what are you doing in Texas, Biggs? And do you know what TrueCoug2 is up to these days? Just curious.

Stretch

New number bro. It has been a long time.

I enjoy the sunshine, lower cost of living and the Gulf Coast down here.

TC2 is a big timer in the upper midwest.

Stretch

Stretch stay with the wrong number... whoever answers that number has to know more about football than Biggs.

Flat, we plan to transition to Arizona within 6 years, and personally can't wait. There are cooler areas in the desert than Phoenix....(Cave Creek, Surprise and Scottsdale). The cooler climate would be Flagstaff, (but we like Cave Creek, better).

There are suburbs in Seattle that are deals. For school district, by far Lakemont, (Issaquah) is a smart investment. If you don't need the school district, Newcastle and Renton remains affordable.

The biggest demand for retirement communities in Western Washington is Bellingham and Lacey. Remember to consider.....one level rambler with no stairs.

Thanks for the info. Kids won't be an issue by the time we make our move (could be as much as 12 years out). My son is halfway through college and daughter will be heading there in about two years. We've been to the Phoenix area throughout the different seasons and even though I don't buy into the "dry heat" thing too much, I've never found it to be so hot that it was intolerable. I really considered trying to buy a house in the Phoenix area during the housing downturn (we bought one in Vegas) but I didn't end up feeling like it was a good idea at the time. The good news is that the house in Vegas has more then doubled in value since we bought it in 2013, so we'll do all right when we sell it. That, combined with our current home in Wichita means that we'll have a good chunk of money to use regardless of where we choose to live.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Thanks for the info. Kids won't be an issue by the time we make our move (could be as much as 12 years out). My son is halfway through college and daughter will be heading there in about two years. We've been to the Phoenix area throughout the different seasons and even though I don't buy into the "dry heat" thing too much, I've never found it to be so hot that it was intolerable. I really considered trying to buy a house in the Phoenix area during the housing downturn (we bought one in Vegas) but I didn't end up feeling like it was a good idea at the time. The good news is that the house in Vegas has more then doubled in value since we bought it in 2013, so we'll do all right when we sell it. That, combined with our current home in Wichita means that we'll have a good chunk of money to use regardless of where we choose to live.
You'll be in good shape. "The Scotch and Sirloin"! Brings back memories when I used to occasionaly travel to Wichita on business. I hear they're still in business!

You'll be in good shape. "The Scotch and Sirloin"! Brings back memories when I used to occasionaly travel to Wichita on business. I hear they're still in business!

The Scotch and Sirloin was recently renovated. A group that I'm affiliated with is holding an event there in early May so I'm interested in seeing how it looks.

The Scotch and Sirloin was recently renovated. A group that I'm affiliated with is holding an event there in early May so I'm interested in seeing how it looks.
Just saw their newly renovated building on their website. No more dark Scotch and Sirloin. It's now a "special occasion" restaurant.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT