ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread. Hawaii vs. WSU...

Although I disagree with Biggs on defining "good"... it's not like he's wanting us to be worse.

His wanting/striving for us to be awesome is totally fair.

I just refuse to be extensively grouchy when we are 6 & 1... beat fuw on the bitch side of the state... smash Texas Tech... and have 1 loss to a Heisman

It is not unreasonable to expect to see well coached and smartly called football. Even Mike Leach has a youtube video chastising his team for not meeting goals in a victory.

The CotRW can fck off.

Reactions: ATACFD
Although I disagree with Biggs on defining "good"... it's not like he's wanting us to be worse.

His wanting/striving for us to be awesome is totally fair.

I just refuse to be extensively grouchy when we are 6 & 1... beat fuw on the bitch side of the state... smash Texas Tech... and have 1 loss to a Heisman
He literally is rooting for us to lose so he can proclaim he’s “right” and that he should be promoted from JV high school to WSU head coach. He’s a F’ing loser crybaby that’s mad because he’s failed in his own career endeavors. He can F himself. Anyone that wants to give him any credibility can F themselves as well.

Reactions: LeachPack
It is not unreasonable to expect to see well coached and smartly called football. Even Mike Leach has a youtube video chastising his team for not meeting goals in a victory.

The CotRW can fck off.
Mike Leach lost to Portland State and Eastern, went 1-7 in apple cups, and handed a bowl game to CSU that we could have been in victory formation you dumb shit. I love Leach, greatest coach in WSU history, RIP pirate, but to bring him up to make your point about coaching perfection is as stupid as wanting to double the size of a stadium we can’t fill already.

He literally is rooting for us to lose so he can proclaim he’s “right” and that he should be promoted from JV high school to WSU head coach. He’s a F’ing loser crybaby that’s mad because he’s failed in his own career endeavors. He can F himself. Anyone that wants to give him any credibility can F themselves as well.
Bring some lube to that pity party.

I see our Cougs are at "27" 26 in the AP poll. Funny, we are the 2nd highest ranked team of the old Pac-12. In fact the only other votegetter is ASU. With 1 vote. But yes we suck and would be near the bottom of the old Pac-12.

Edit - 28 in the Coaches poll. 26 in the AP poll.

Last edited:

The CotRW can fck off.
Ummm did that video include his losses to Portland State, Eastern , Boise and a miracle comeback against Rutgers?

Again your complaint is Ward as DC should be fired for giving up 700 yards and yet you didnt call for a DC whose team gave up 446 yards in one game .

So objectivity has been either tarnished by disagreement with a personality or you don't like a scheme .

The CotRW can fck off.
Mike Leach's video was not about meeting goals in a victory. It was about the players effort in a game. Try again.

Reactions: UberCougars
So…huge improvement from last year, well above program average 6-7 p12 wins being in the upper echelon of Coug teams historically…top 10% while breaking in a new QB and dealing with the unfathomable challenge of your conference imploding? Yeah sign me up, this coaching staff is doing a helluva job getting everything out of this roster and continuing to build under extraordinarily difficult circumstances. Is there room for improvement, sure. But anyone who can’t come to this very basic conclusion on this season so far has zero football sense….zero.
If we believe in enough excuses, we can even make Wulff’s teams better than the complete shitshow that they were. Nevermind that a high water mark of 4-8 is always bad….look at all the things they had to overcome to win 4 games!!

People here have bitched for decades about G5 teams not deserving a ranking for being undefeated or 1-loss teams against a cast of nobodies. But now that we are that team…nevermind.

If we believe in enough excuses, we can even make Wulff’s teams better than the complete shitshow that they were. Nevermind that a high water mark of 4-8 is always bad….look at all the things they had to overcome to win 4 games!!

People here have bitched for decades about G5 teams not deserving a ranking for being undefeated or 1-loss teams against a cast of nobodies. But now that we are that team…nevermind.

The mascot should not be Cougars. It should be the Washington State University Excuses.

• Haha
This is apples to oranges. The level of talent is not comparable. They are playing much tougher teams. We struggle against the teams we have. And they struggle against the teams they have. to ignore the talent of the competition is wishful thinking.

The combined records of the first five FBS teams that we played is currently 23-7 outside of their games against us. You guys keep talking about "talent of the competition" and pretending that we have played a shit schedule. Yeah....the rest of our schedule kind of sucks when it comes to talent and it's why we don't have a realistic shot at the CFP even if we go 11-1....but that doesn't mean that we've played crappy teams so far. Hawaii is the worst team that we've faced since Portland State and we could have beaten them 49-10 if we had wanted to and we still beat them by 32 points.

I don't get this obsessive need with shitting on this team and actively rooting against our team's success. It's pretty shitty really.

UNLV is having a pretty good season, based on record. But look at their schedule and tell me which of those wins still look impressive. They beat Houston and Kansas…but both of them are 2-5. Now, their best win looks like their blowout of Fresno - a 4-3 team. Their only opponent with better than a middling record has been Syracuse (5-1), and UNLV lost that game. They get Boise state next, so let’s take another look in a week.

As for us…I don’t think we’re Wulffian, but I don’t really see that we’re improving, and we’re very Price-ish in the way we tend to play to the level of our competition, especially on D.

Our schedule is soft, but even in the Pac, we’d probably be #2 in the old north division. Cal and Stanford are bad, Oregon state isn’t very good, and we already beat UW. Not sure who we’d play in the south, but USC & UCLA aren’t scary. Utah is down. Arizona, ASU, and Colorado aren’t bad.

We’re not going to get a playoff berth, and if we did, we’d get pounded. To be fair, there will rarely be a 12-seed who doesn’t get pounded.

We may very well go 11-1, and it’ll be touted as our greatest season ever. And, it will be our greatest season ever…completed by a team that may not even be in the top 10 of our greatest teams ever.

Yes we are .. and without NIL or a conference . And we dont have a conference like Arizona for example does because of the lack of support both financially and attendance as they cant fill 33k.

The combined records of the first five FBS teams that we played is currently 23-7 outside of their games against us. You guys keep talking about "talent of the competition" and pretending that we have played a shit schedule. Yeah....the rest of our schedule kind of sucks when it comes to talent and it's why we don't have a realistic shot at the CFP even if we go 11-1....but that doesn't mean that we've played crappy teams so far. Hawaii is the worst team that we've faced since Portland State and we could have beaten them 49-10 if we had wanted to and we still beat them by 32 points.

I don't get this obsessive need with shitting on this team and actively rooting against our team's success. It's pretty shitty really.
Strength of schedule gets skewed by winning and losing. The 2008 huskies had an extraordinarily difficult SOS.

Last edited:
Can't remember their ranking, (I think it was # 1 or # 2), but they were on the cover of Sports Illustrated just days before we hammered them 55-16 at Autzen.

According to an article buried in the official Oregon news archives, the Ducks were #10 in the AP poll and #15 in the Coaches Poll when we beat them in 2003. We were #21 in both the AP Poll and Coaches Poll.

Reactions: UberCougars
I acknowledge the success. We are winning against teams that are supposed to beat. I think our offense is good enough to compete in the old league. I just don’t think our defense is even close. If we do get into the CFB playoffs, we don’t stand a chance. Not because of Mateer, or our O line, or our receivers or even our playcalling. We don’t stand a chance because our defense will get boat race by any competent team.

Maybe I’m old-school, and miss the Palouse Posse days. But I just don’t think our defense gives us any chance to be competitive in a league other than what we are in now.
Suudy....go back and really analyze the Palouse Posse.....I mean since you are evaluating defenses against an all time defense for one season at WSU...and with that keen and critical eye. That defense at least on three occasions did not face a starting QB. Also, look what happened when they played a balanced USC team.

Yeah, they have two players in the NFL that could be on this team in Hicks and Smith Wade. You think the two corners have played horrible? How about the DT's?

The answer to all of these is our D. It’s not just pass protection. It’s tackling, vision, position, pursuit, awareness. They are deficient in all.

Rising had 1 bad game. These happen all the time. Even us left behinds were good for one upset.

UCLA has more talent and more depth. Our D would have been gassed by 2nd quarter. Even if our O tried to keep up, it would be a war of attrition we’d lose.

Same with USC. The only way we pull that off is a coaching brain fart, which is what Riley seems to be good at. You can’t be serious thinking we can keep up with the roster we have.

And our run D was clearly exposed against BSJC. A good back would have a field day. We would make Skatebo look like a Heisman candidate.
Ummm...if our FG kicker didn't miss I think five or six critical FG's down the stretch last year we would have had 8 wins, and if all of a sudden we don't turn the ball over twice in UCLA territory in the first half, we win that game.

And not sure you have seen UCLA play. It isn't like Rutgers or Minnesota have a ton on Boise State. If Boise played UCLA, who do you think would win?

Go watch the Boise game again. I watched us lined up correctly, the defender squares up Jeanty at the line of scrimmage in the hole, and he was just amazing and broke tackles. He is the best back I have seen in a long time.

Reactions: LeachPack
This is apples to oranges. The level of talent is not comparable. They are playing much tougher teams. We struggle against the teams we have. And they struggle against the teams they have. to ignore the talent of the competition is wishful thinking.
Suudy you crack me up. You talk about the 94 team. You think in era of early departures, NIL that group has five starters that would have played for WSU in 94? And they had zero depth and the freakiest of athletes in Mark Fields.

Utah before 2012 had a roster probably similar to ours. Get use to it until the conference reconstitutes. We will have a good roster that could compete in the old Pac 12 for a third place finish.

Utah before 2012 had a roster probably similar to ours. Get use to it until the conference reconstitutes. We will have a good roster that could compete in the old Pac 12 for a third place finish.
Agree completely. I've been saying, actually I've been observing for over two decades that the top 1/3 of the Mountain West Conference was on par or better than the bottom 2/3 of the P12.

In most years, Boise State, Fresno State, and San Diego State could line up against all but the top 2 or 3 programs in our old league.

Reactions: Coug90
Suudy you crack me up. You talk about the 94 team. You think in era of early departures, NIL that group has five starters that would have played for WSU in 94? And they had zero depth and the freakiest of athletes in Mark Fields.

Utah OC, Andy Ludwig, has resigned today. He had been at Utah for 10 seasons. Utah is making changes because they have been struggling this season. Yeah, I do think we would beat them this season once Cam Rising went down with injury.

Reactions: Cougini5591
Utah OC, Andy Ludwig, has resigned today. He had been at Utah for 10 seasons. Utah is making changes because they have been struggling this season. Yeah, I do think we would beat them this season once Cam Rising went down with injury.
Just learned today from John Canzano with Furness on KJR that Utah does not have an exit fee with its Big 12 contract. That's right. No exit fee with the Big 12. Rumor also has it that ASU is not happy in the Big 12.

Would be nice if Utah came back.

Just learned today from John Canzano with Furness on KJR that Utah does not have an exit fee with its Big 12 contract. That's right. No exit fee with the Big 12. Rumor also has it that ASU is not happy in the Big 12.

Would be nice if Utah came back.
What about media rights? Their grant of rights may be worth more than the exit fee.

Ummm...if our FG kicker didn't miss I think five or six critical FG's down the stretch last year we would have had 8 wins, and if all of a sudden we don't turn the ball over twice in UCLA territory in the first half, we win that game.

And not sure you have seen UCLA play. It isn't like Rutgers or Minnesota have a ton on Boise State. If Boise played UCLA, who do you think would win?

Go watch the Boise game again. I watched us lined up correctly, the defender squares up Jeanty at the line of scrimmage in the hole, and he was just amazing and broke tackles. He is the best back I have seen in a long time.
BSU will be a top 10 team in the country by year end and almost beat the #1 team in the country. I still don’t think they are 21 points better than us and no I don’t think we would make any noise if we snuck into the playoffs and played a top seed, but this season is as good as expected at minimum. If you take your crimson colored glasses off this is a damn good season and has been pretty fun so far.

Reactions: Coug-Vandal
BSU will be a top 10 team in the country by year end and almost beat the #1 team in the country. I still don’t think they are 21 points better than us and no I don’t think we would make any noise if we snuck into the playoffs and played a top seed, but this season is as good as expected at minimum. If you take your crimson colored glasses off this is a damn good season and has been pretty fun so far.
One player.

Without Ashton Jeanty, where would they be today?

One player.

They’d still be good. Having a generational talent at that position changes everything with their offense. Having that safety net at RB makes it so much easier to game plan everyone.

One player.

I understand what you're getting at, but the same thing could be said about WSU's 1997 team. Where would that team had been without Leaf?

Ultimately, who cares. Leaf was there, just like Jeanty is there.

One player.

In 2021, Michigan State went 11-2. That season, they had a transfer RB Kenneth Walker, who turned out to be the best running back in the country. The year before without Walker, they were 2-5. The year after without Walker, they were 5-7.

I understand what you're getting at, but the same thing could be said about WSU's 1997 team. Where would that team had been without Leaf?

Ultimately, who cares. Leaf was there, just like Jeanty is there.
Speaking about Leaf, as we all know, he had tons of issues, especially overcoming the addiction, etc. And today, or these past what, 8 years, he's been a great color on TV. So he's completely redeemed himself.

What about Gesser? Do you think Jason will ever come back to campus and eventually redeem himself with the athletic department?
Or maybe, since there's been so many personnel changes, it's a different environment.

I always wonder, if Gesser will every come back, be accepted, and start over again with Washington State.

Leaf did it. Do you think Jason ever will?

Man, CW production is terrible.

Time to sit Mateer. Keep him healthy, give Eckhaus and Potter some time.
Is there a back story as to why we played Potter instead of Eckhaus. Eckhaus has hardly been in a game and it is his last year of eligibility.
On the other hand Potter had never been in a game.

Is there a back story as to why we played Potter instead of Eckhaus. Eckhaus has hardly been in a game and it is his last year of eligibility.
Not sure was wondering the same thing but potter looked sharp. Maybe he just jumped him

Speaking about Leaf, as we all know, he had tons of issues, especially overcoming the addiction, etc. And today, or these past what, 8 years, he's been a great color on TV. So he's completely redeemed himself.

What about Gesser? Do you think Jason will ever come back to campus and eventually redeem himself with the athletic department?
Or maybe, since there's been so many personnel changes, it's a different environment.

I always wonder, if Gesser will every come back, be accepted, and start over again with Washington State.

Gesser....it is not too often I witness people who all they had to do in life was smile, say Go Cougs, shake a couple of hands and he was going to make 100k for 20 plus years. He wasn't fixing a budget, building facilities. He was using his name to keep alumno engaged and feel important. If he had a drug or alcohol problem he would still be on campus.

What Leaf did was to himself, although no doubt impacted other peoples lives. What Gesser did was to someone, a female to be more exact. Should what he did be held against him forever? No. Will he ever be an ambassador for WSU, whether it is on a podcast or even an after game call in? I am not seeing it.

My guess it has multiple reasons. If Mateer jumps, Eckhaus will preserve a year of eligibility. If Mateer gets hurt this year I could see Eckhaus playing the last four games and still preserve that eligibility. And I could see Eckhaus stating he was going to jump into teh portal and if our coaches are smart would say no not yet, you will be the last to be offered anyway, so see what plays out.

What I will say for just throwing the ball, Potter has a great release and the ball gets to where it needs to go in a hurry. The question will be how does he adjust to being a QB and against a pass rush

No.

Arguably Leaf just hurt himself.

Gesser (allegedly) transgressed against others, specifically women.

That being said, I do still follow him on Instagram and he's posting more content of stuff he's involved in.

I really doubt it on Gesser which is a shame. I really liked the guy. As a player and as a person.

He screwed up. Bad stamp to have.

Forgive and move on. Can't really justify letting him back in with that kind of mark though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT