ADVERTISEMENT

Heart of Dallas Bowl

Is the last bowl win for uw.

As Ping has said many times, the Apple Cup wins are the only quality wins Petersen has been able to pull off.
Chris Petersen is 1-4 in bowl games at the uw. Mike Leach is 2-3 at WSU.

You know what they say about Petersen. If you give him time to prepare, he is going to win.

Petersen has accomplished all he can at uw.

I’m not really joking.
Petersen is a really good coach. But, the overwhelming sentiment from the media is that he is a top five coach in the country. He isn't.

They’ll be wishing they had Browning, Gaskin, and Gaines next year. I see a drop to 7-8 wins next year. Eason may be good, but I haven’t seen Petersen develop a QB yet, not one.

Reactions: Coug90
Bryan Harsin was Kellen’s QB coach and recruited him to Boise. Chris didn’t develop him. Besides, much different in Power 5. Browning took steps back and every 4 Star kid to go through UW has flamed out so far.
Plus, he was fairly well developed when he stepped on campus. He set national high school passing records and he was a coaches son.

You are right about the uw QB's. So many highly rated QB's, all of them have been underwhelming, even Browning despite setting the record for wins.

Reading through some of the Twitter vitriol directed at Browning tonight, I'm amazed that any high school QB wants to commit 4+ years of their life to that fan base.

Reactions: CrimsonDisciple
Reading through some of the Twitter vitriol directed at Browning tonight, I'm amazed that any high school QB wants to commit 4+ years of their life to that fan base.
Twitter is filled with despicable people. One in particular.

Twitter is filled with despicable people. One in particular.

Something fun for you to think about- Jake Fromm is basically Jake Browning before Browning had the shoulder surgery. Fromm beat out Eason. Eason transferred to uw and is the presumptive starting QB.

Last edited:
The current rumors are Petersen to the Pros? If the money is right these guys will go . The sentimentality goes out the window when big bucks are flashed. Who can blame them?

Washington better protect that Heart of Dallas trophy, that game will probably not even be played in the future. Dallas tried to kill the game last year, and highly doubtful after this year's cancellation debacle that it survives another year.

Because of that ,the Husky football program now have a novelty item and can point out the trophy to recruits and with a tear in their eye and recall how they valiantly held off that mighty Southern Miss team to secure a win in front a maybe 15K people.

In all seriousness the Pac 12 is in desperate need of a new standard bearer for the conference, Washington in that role is not a good look.

Reactions: chipdouglas
Is the last bowl win for uw.

As Ping has said many times, the Apple Cup wins are the only quality wins Petersen has been able to pull off.

I'm sure Petey isn't missing his Boise State salary, but he's got to miss the days when he was the giant killer in bowll games. Now, he's just this inert purple blob of underachievement.

It's odd, they just really seem to struggle out of conference. Petersen is 30-15 in conference (22-5 over the last 4 years). But his results against non con, P5 schools...

tOSU: L
Auburn: L
PSU: L
Rutgers: W
Bama: L
Ok St: L
Illinois: W

It would disingenuous for me to not recognize they did beat BYU this year and what ended up being a pretty good Fresno St team last year. They also lost to Boise in '15. While none are P5 teams, they generally are the quality of an average P5 team.

There's certainly no shame in losing games to Bama, PSU & tOSU. It's just kind of interesting, with as good as they've been, he hasn't really been able to win the "big game" at UW. I mean, what's his BEST out of conference win thus far? 10 win Fresno St?

It's odd, they just really seem to struggle out of conference. Petersen is 30-15 in conference (22-5 over the last 4 years). But his results against non con, P5 schools...

It would disingenuous for me to not recognize they did beat BYU this year and what ended up being a pretty good Fresno St team last year. They also lost to Boise in '15. While none are P5 teams, they generally are the quality of an average P5 team.

There's certainly no shame in losing games to Bama, PSU & tOSU. It's just kind of interesting, with as good as they've been, he hasn't really been able to win the "big game" at UW. I mean, what's his BEST out of conference win thus far? 10 win Fresno St?

I would say where they struggle and there is now a very clear pattern, is they are not capable for 3 seasons now to win games where (1) they do not have the clear across the board talent advantage ( Alabama, USC, Penn State, Auburn and Ohio State) or (2) when a less talented team can get them into a situation where they have to come from behind and gut out a win in the 4th Q (ASU, Stanford, Oregon and Cal.).

Basically they are the classic definition of front runners . (A competitor who performs best when in the lead or has a talent advantage.)

Last edited:
Petersen is a really good coach. But, the overwhelming sentiment from the media is that he is a top five coach in the country. He isn't.

Just out of curiosity who would be in your top five or ten ?

Last edited:
You sticking up for chompers?
Did I offer an opinion ? I asked a simple question because off the top of my head from an analytical standpoint I would say Peterson is a top 15 coach . Then I tried to think of the top five and to be honest there are not a lot of elite coaches . Saban, Sweeney Urban(retired) then who? Kirby? Brian Kelly? Riley?

Last edited:

Not win, they aren’t competitive. All those teams soundly kicked their ass. UW is clearly in the next tier down from the elite...which is not a surprise they always have been for the most part. As soon as USC gets a coach and if Super Mario has any ability to coach the blue chips he is landing, UW is finished.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
Did I offer an opinion ? I asked a simple question because off the top of my head from an analytical standpoint I would say Peterson is a top 15 coach . Then I tried to think of the top five and to be honest there are not a lot of elite coaches . Saban, Sweeney Urban(retired) then who? Kirby? Brian Kelly? Riley?

Petersen has to win the big game at UW to be in the top 15. He fails miserably every bowl season, let’s the whole PAC-12 down. We counted on UW and WSU to represent the PAC-12 as top 15 teams. UW embarrassed us and needed trash time to make the score look respectable...... sure is great in the Apple Cup. That’s their big game every year.

Petersen has to win the big game at UW to be in the top 15. He fails miserably every bowl season, let’s the whole PAC-12 down. We counted on UW and WSU to represent the PAC-12 as top 15 teams. UW embarrassed us and needed trash time to make the score look respectable...... sure is great in the Apple Cup. That’s their big game every year.

The reason I ask the question is not because I have an opinion about Peterson (and yes at Boise State I thought he was a top 5 coach) but rather the lack of quality coaches in the country.

If that is your criteria for top 15 where would you place Leach? I would place Leach in the top 10 despite not being able to win a big game to get to a big game. I have a hard time not having Leach in the top 5 or 6.

The reason I ask the question is not because I have an opinion about Peterson (and yes at Boise State I thought he was a top 5 coach) but rather the lack of quality coaches in the country.

If that is your criteria for top 15 where would you place Leach? I would place Leach in the top 10 despite not being able to win a big game to get to a big game. I have a hard time not having Leach in the top 5 or 6.

Leach is in the top 10 purely because of his ability to create a championship caliber team from a virtually unknown athletes. His ability to find talent nationwide and develop that talent, is remarkable. He also is 2-2 in the big games (Iowa State/Miami) over the last 4 years.

Leach is in the top 10 purely because of his ability to create a championship caliber team from a virtually unknown athletes. His ability to find talent nationwide and develop that talent, is remarkable. He also is 2-2 in the big games (Iowa State/Miami) over the last 4 years.

Some like myself would say Chris Peterson has won big games as well. I consider beating WSU for the right to go to the Championship a big game. I am not saying Peterson is or is not a top 10 coach, I would need names of others who would be above him. So it might not even be that he is a top 10 coach, but might be there simply based on default.

But I do consider the Apple Cup a big win.

I'm starting to think Harsin had a bigger impact on his success than even Peterson realized. As others have pointed out, Browning hasn't really improved much in 4 years, and nobody behind him has been able to dislodge him. With a program that has as much talent as UW does, that can hold down your results in a way that breeds discontent. Look at Miami.

Leach, Swinney, Saban, Riley (yeah he's young but I feel he's proved it, Meyer, the up and comer from Iowa St (watch Michigan try to drown him in $ if they give up on Harbaugh after next year), Cutcliffe at Duke, Smart, Mullins, maybe Frost. That might be my current top 10. Partly guys with sustained high level success, partly guys who consistently make the most of what they have. Harbaugh, Peterson, Ferentz, Shaw, these are guys that win but have trouble getting over the top. Others with new starts who might move back up would be Kelly, Fisher at A&M (he certainly has the talent level), Mack Brown at UNC, and if he can make them respectable Les Miles at KU.

Some like myself would say Chris Peterson has won big games as well. I consider beating WSU for the right to go to the Championship a big game. I am not saying Peterson is or is not a top 10 coach, I would need names of others who would be above him. So it might not even be that he is a top 10 coach, but might be there simply based on default.

But I do consider the Apple Cup a big win.

We’re not talking about PAC-12 games. We beat USC twice in the Last 4 years.... both were huge conference wins. UW still loses to Oregon, ASU..... those were big conference games....Chris hasn’t won any of his bowl games (not counting defunct Heart of Dallas). Nice try though.

Leach, Swinney, Saban, Riley (yeah he's young but I feel he's proved it, Meyer, the up and comer from Iowa St (watch Michigan try to drown him in $ if they give up on Harbaugh after next year), Cutcliffe at Duke, Smart, Mullins, maybe Frost. That might be my current top 10. Partly guys with sustained high level success, partly guys who consistently make the most of what they have. Harbaugh, Peterson, Ferentz, Shaw, these are guys that win but have trouble getting over the top. Others with new starts who might move back up would be Kelly, Fisher at A&M (he certainly has the talent level), Mack Brown at UNC, and if he can make them respectable Les Miles at KU.

I don't have a problem with your first five. Matt Campbell is a terrific coach. But hasn't Georgia lost three big games inwhich they had big leads? Not sure a two year run is worthy, but the pool is small.

Frost, what has he done? Nebraska really struggled this year.

We’re not talking about PAC-12 games. We beat USC twice in the Last 4 years.... both were huge conference wins. UW still loses to Oregon, ASU..... those were big conference games....Chris hasn’t won any of his bowl games (not counting defunct Heart of Dallas). Nice try though.

Dickenson Baird goes to as many if not more mutt than WSU games, so his allegiance is clear. Hence, Dickenson or Little Dick Baird.

In all seriousness the Pac 12 is in desperate need of a new standard bearer for the conference, Washington in that role is not a good look.
If only we'd start playing each other for the league title.

My only problem is the inconsistently in your logic. I do believe he was a top 10 coach at Boise. Nice try what?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT