ADVERTISEMENT

How will recruiting go?

I'll take Brandon Huffman's opinion on recruiting over yours Mik. He's talked with hundreds of high school kids a year for over a decade. He's also neutral in this. His professional credibility takes a hit when he's wrong. It's different if a fan site making the predictions. If after a talking with a recruit, he gets the feeling he's headed out of state, you have to take that seriously. Might not pan out, but it's the likely scenario. How many recruits have you talked to over the years?

Why would it be illogical for McCarron to go to Virginia? Did you even look at his list? Boise St, Cal, Northwestern, VA, and VA Tech. That list tells me the kid is concerned about academics and is open to leaving the PNW. Seems entirely logical for a kid to head to a prestigious University on the east coast if that's what he wants to do.

I realize I've long been an advocate for not wasting our time an energy sucking up to in state recruits. We simply don't win many competitive recruiting battles in state. Coaches in the state actively steer kids away from WSU. They push UW first, most other P5 programs, then maybe WSU if Boise St isn't a better fit. Maybe we beat out Oregon St or Arizona for a local kid, but it's rare to end up with someone getting serious interest from a decent out of state program.

Maybe Rolo will be able to change this with time. Or maybe Rolo will tell coaches to stop trying to sell him on Big Sky talent and start steering D1 guys toward Pullman or he'll stop answering their calls. Either way, WA has 10 4 star prospects this year and we are the favorite for absolutely zero of them.

AS MR SPOCK WOULD SAY, LOGIC DOES NOT AGREE with you or your so called expert. Maybe he is a expert. Maybe he is usually right in his predictions. Maybe he does talk to lots of recruits.

But since, if he talks to lots of kids, and if he has talked to McCarron, then how is it that he either doesnt know that McCarrons parents went to WSU, and how is it that he doesnt know that the kid's sister goes to WSU? How is it he doesnt know that MCarron and his family are big Fans of WSU, bleed crimson and gray, love, follow the program, coaches, players, etc?

Or if he does know these things that would seem to make WSU the unofficial favorite,etc, then why is it that he ignores the logic based on those logical facts, that WSU either is the unofficial favorite, or likely to be the unofficial favorite, and instead contradicts that and says that the kid is going to Virginia instead, away from his family, his WSU that he is a FAN of, during Corona?

That just doesnt make logical sense.

So unless your expert actually talked to McCarron, and McCarron or a family member, or a close friend, coach, etc, said that Virginia is the Kid's favorite, which I doubt happened, then the kid is probably not gping to Virginia.

Your being ILLOGICAL and ignoring Logic, facts, etc, and choosing to go by a so called expert instead.

I even googled up McCarron.

I didnt find ANYTHING that would even hint at that McCarron might go to Virginia.

One would think that there would be SOMETHING out there backing your expert up.

What I did find was a article saying that if Michigan were to offer him, that McCarron would go there, because the kid is just as big of a Michigan fan as he is a WSU fan, because he and his mother snuck onto Michigan field when he was 10 years old. Since then the kid has said he has always wanted to play at Michigan, even tho he is a Fan of WSU as well.

I didnt find any hints abput Virginia.

So why is your expert saying Virginia?

Here is probably why.

He probably talked to McCarron. McCarron probably gave him the hints, clues about WSU, that I have read in ARTICLES.

Your expert probably either ignored those, or had those go over his head.

Then probably with no clue in his head of where yhe kid will go, he probably thought the following.

1. The schools in the Kids top 6 are UW, Cal, Virginia, BSU, WSU,etc.

2. The kid will probably goto the the best College on that list.

3. The best Colleges on that list(According to your expert(and all the other media, experts, etc) is 1. Virginia(East Coast vs West Coast Bias thing), 2. UW 3. Cal, 4. BSU 5. WSU(Now that is not accurate, but it is popular perception)

4. Your expert probably just took what he thought was the best College(Virginia), and said that the kid was probably going to go to the best college Virginia.

If USC or Texas, or Oklahoma, or Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Ohio State, Notre Dame, etc had been in the kid's top 6, your expert wpuld have named those colleges as tje college the kid was going to go to.

And not just your expert. All the experts do that.

As long as they the experts dont know where the kid is likely to go, they will NEVER say a kid is going to WSU over a UW, Virginia, etc.

Only way a expert will predict a 4 star kid going to WSU over a UW, Virginia, Cal, etc, is if the Kid somehow hints, says, suggest, etc, that he the kid may goto WSU.

And even then some experts just ignore that and say he will go to any big name College over WSU.

That is what is probably LOGICALLY going on.

If you think otherwise, your illogical and I have a bridge to sell you.

I'll take Brandon Huffman's opinion on recruiting over yours Mik. He's talked with hundreds of high school kids a year for over a decade. He's also neutral in this. His professional credibility takes a hit when he's wrong. It's different if a fan site making the predictions. If after a talking with a recruit, he gets the feeling he's headed out of state, you have to take that seriously. Might not pan out, but it's the likely scenario. How many recruits have you talked to over the years?

Why would it be illogical for McCarron to go to Virginia? Did you even look at his list? Boise St, Cal, Northwestern, VA, and VA Tech. That list tells me the kid is concerned about academics and is open to leaving the PNW. Seems entirely logical for a kid to head to a prestigious University on the east coast if that's what he wants to do.

I realize I've long been an advocate for not wasting our time an energy sucking up to in state recruits. We simply don't win many competitive recruiting battles in state. Coaches in the state actively steer kids away from WSU. They push UW first, most other P5 programs, then maybe WSU if Boise St isn't a better fit. Maybe we beat out Oregon St or Arizona for a local kid, but it's rare to end up with someone getting serious interest from a decent out of state program.

Maybe Rolo will be able to change this with time. Or maybe Rolo will tell coaches to stop trying to sell him on Big Sky talent and start steering D1 guys toward Pullman or he'll stop answering their calls. Either way, WA has 10 4 star prospects this year and we are the favorite for absolutely zero of them.

I partially disagree, especially about the part that WSU is not the favorite for any of the 10, 4 stars, and that none of the 10, 4 stars in WA, would goto WSU.

I think, according to the articles that I have read, that have said that McCarron is a BIG FAN of WSU, and that his Parents went to WSU, and that his sister went to WSU, that that makes WSU the UNOFFICIAL FAVORITE of McCarron, and that McCarron will probably gpto WSU, as Michigan has not offered the kid, and probably will not offer the kid

I realize that McCarron is not one of the 10, but he is #11,#12, and he is a 4 star.

But even if go by just tbe top 10.

Articles that I have read say that Junior Alexander, and Tinua, or Tinae(or however you spell his name), are teammates, 2, 4 star WR's at Kennedy Catholic, are both in top 10, havent named a favorite, both named WSU in their top 6, both have gone on a unofficial visit together to WSU, where that was their last, only visit to any college, and where they probably wont visit another college because of Corona. They both LOVED WSU, LOVED THE COACHES, PLAYERS, ETC.

But you say that is JUST FLUFF. Well maybe it is, maybe it isnt, WE DONT KNOW.

But because WE DONT KNOW if its fluff or not, just gping ti assume its not.

And because of that its at least semi likely, semi probable, ok, etc, that WSU is the semi favorite, and ok, semi good chance that they are, would goto WSU, and better chance then the chances of the other colleges on their list, that they havent visited, that they havent said that they LOVE, like they said they LOVED WSU. Also those other colleges on their top 6 list probably wont get a visit. So Corona is probably working in WSU's favor.

But of course you naysay that.

You say its all fluff, and ignore it, just like the EXPERTS.

You do what the experts do, and predict that they will not choose WSU, because why would they choose WSU over UW, etc.

WSU will probably get least 1 out of McCarron, Alexander, Tinua, and that is probably at least McCarron, and might probably also get at least 1 out of either Alexander or Tinua, and might get lucky and get all 3 of them.

WSU will probably get at least 1 of the top 10, 4 stars in state, whether thats at worst or at best.

That's still concerning tho.

If I am Rolo, and I dont get at least 1 of the Top 10 4 stars in state, that they can SHUT UP with their talk, demands that WSU recruit WA more, and that WSU did what they demanded, recruited WA more, and that they(WA, coaches, players, collectively, not individually, BLEW IT, and that they can now SHUT UP their demands that WSU recruit WA more, because WHY should WSU recruit WA more, since the answer is going to be no. I would tell them that after that BS of them BLOWING it, that if they want WSU to recruit WA again, they can PROVE it by having their Div 1, Pac 12, 3, 3.5 stars, etc, RECRUIT WSU, instead of WSU wasting its time recruiting them, and getting told no. WSU did what was demanded. WSU recruited WA, and the coaches, players, etc, THEY FAILED TO PROVE IT THAT THEY SUPPOSEDLY WANTED WSU TO RECRUIT WA MORE BY SAYING NO COLLECTIVELY, NOT INDIVIDUALLY.

That's what I would tell them, and also say in public on the media, if I was Rolo, if they, none of the top 10, 4 stars said yes, and instead all said no. I would publically SHAME THEM ALL COLLECTIVELY, AND CALL THEM OUT COLLECTIVELY, AND TELL THEM PUBLICALLY TO STOP DEMANDING TO RECRUIT WA, AND THEN SAYING NO WHEN DO RECRUIT WA. I WOULD CALL THEM HYPOCRITES THAT DEMAND THAT WSU RECRUIT WA MORE BUT THEN WONT SAY YES WHEN DO RECRUIT WA.

But I would only say that if none of the top 10 recruits in WA say yes to WSU.

Ball is in their corner now. Time for them to PUT UP OR SHUT UP, TIME TO SEE IF THEY ARE HYPOCRITES OR NOT THAT WOULD DEMAND RECRUITING, AND THEN SAY NO TO THE DEMANDED RECRUITING.

But I think at least 1 of the top 10 will say yes to WSU.

AS MR SPOCK WOULD SAY, LOGIC DOES NOT AGREE with you or your so called expert. Maybe he is a expert. Maybe he is usually right in his predictions. Maybe he does talk to lots of recruits.

But since, if he talks to lots of kids, and if he has talked to McCarron, then how is it that he either doesnt know that McCarrons parents went to WSU, and how is it that he doesnt know that the kid's sister goes to WSU? How is it he doesnt know that MCarron and his family are big Fans of WSU, bleed crimson and gray, love, follow the program, coaches, players, etc?

Or if he does know these things that would seem to make WSU the unofficial favorite,etc, then why is it that he ignores the logic based on those logical facts, that WSU either is the unofficial favorite, or likely to be the unofficial favorite, and instead contradicts that and says that the kid is going to Virginia instead, away from his family, his WSU that he is a FAN of, during Corona?

That just doesnt make logical sense.

So unless your expert actually talked to McCarron, and McCarron or a family member, or a close friend, coach, etc, said that Virginia is the Kid's favorite, which I doubt happened, then the kid is probably not gping to Virginia.

Your being ILLOGICAL and ignoring Logic, facts, etc, and choosing to go by a so called expert instead.

I even googled up McCarron.

I didnt find ANYTHING that would even hint at that McCarron might go to Virginia.

One would think that there would be SOMETHING out there backing your expert up.

What I did find was a article saying that if Michigan were to offer him, that McCarron would go there, because the kid is just as big of a Michigan fan as he is a WSU fan, because he and his mother snuck onto Michigan field when he was 10 years old. Since then the kid has said he has always wanted to play at Michigan, even tho he is a Fan of WSU as well.

I didnt find any hints abput Virginia.

So why is your expert saying Virginia?

Here is probably why.

He probably talked to McCarron. McCarron probably gave him the hints, clues about WSU, that I have read in ARTICLES.

Your expert probably either ignored those, or had those go over his head.

Then probably with no clue in his head of where yhe kid will go, he probably thought the following.

1. The schools in the Kids top 6 are UW, Cal, Virginia, BSU, WSU,etc.

2. The kid will probably goto the the best College on that list.

3. The best Colleges on that list(According to your expert(and all the other media, experts, etc) is 1. Virginia(East Coast vs West Coast Bias thing), 2. UW 3. Cal, 4. BSU 5. WSU(Now that is not accurate, but it is popular perception)

4. Your expert probably just took what he thought was the best College(Virginia), and said that the kid was probably going to go to the best college Virginia.

If USC or Texas, or Oklahoma, or Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Ohio State, Notre Dame, etc had been in the kid's top 6, your expert wpuld have named those colleges as tje college the kid was going to go to.

And not just your expert. All the experts do that.

As long as they the experts dont know where the kid is likely to go, they will NEVER say a kid is going to WSU over a UW, Virginia, etc.

Only way a expert will predict a 4 star kid going to WSU over a UW, Virginia, Cal, etc, is if the Kid somehow hints, says, suggest, etc, that he the kid may goto WSU.

And even then some experts just ignore that and say he will go to any big name College over WSU.

That is what is probably LOGICALLY going on.

If you think otherwise, your illogical and I have a bridge to sell you.

Maybe your Alex Jones lizard people conspiracy theory is what's going on here.

Or maybe, just hear me out on this, reporters who have covered West coast recruiting for over 20 years talked to this kid to write a story and he indicated he's a strong lean to Virginia.

How about a friendly bet? If McCarron verbals to Virginia you end all your posts for a year with "I'm an idiot and no one should take my opinions seriously". If he verbals here, I'll do the same. Care to take me up on this offer?

I partially disagree, especially about the part that WSU is not the favorite for any of the 10, 4 stars, and that none of the 10, 4 stars in WA, would goto WSU.

I think, according to the articles that I have read, that have said that McCarron is a BIG FAN of WSU, and that his Parents went to WSU, and that his sister went to WSU, that that makes WSU the UNOFFICIAL FAVORITE of McCarron, and that McCarron will probably gpto WSU, as Michigan has not offered the kid, and probably will not offer the kid

I realize that McCarron is not one of the 10, but he is #11,#12, and he is a 4 star.

But even if go by just tbe top 10.

Articles that I have read say that Junior Alexander, and Tinua, or Tinae(or however you spell his name), are teammates, 2, 4 star WR's at Kennedy Catholic, are both in top 10, havent named a favorite, both named WSU in their top 6, both have gone on a unofficial visit together to WSU, where that was their last, only visit to any college, and where they probably wont visit another college because of Corona. They both LOVED WSU, LOVED THE COACHES, PLAYERS, ETC.

But you say that is JUST FLUFF. Well maybe it is, maybe it isnt, WE DONT KNOW.

But because WE DONT KNOW if its fluff or not, just gping ti assume its not.

And because of that its at least semi likely, semi probable, ok, etc, that WSU is the semi favorite, and ok, semi good chance that they are, would goto WSU, and better chance then the chances of the other colleges on their list, that they havent visited, that they havent said that they LOVE, like they said they LOVED WSU. Also those other colleges on their top 6 list probably wont get a visit. So Corona is probably working in WSU's favor.

But of course you naysay that.

You say its all fluff, and ignore it, just like the EXPERTS.

You do what the experts do, and predict that they will not choose WSU, because why would they choose WSU over UW, etc.

WSU will probably get least 1 out of McCarron, Alexander, Tinua, and that is probably at least McCarron, and might probably also get at least 1 out of either Alexander or Tinua, and might get lucky and get all 3 of them.

WSU will probably get at least 1 of the top 10, 4 stars in state, whether thats at worst or at best.

That's still concerning tho.

If I am Rolo, and I dont get at least 1 of the Top 10 4 stars in state, that they can SHUT UP with their talk, demands that WSU recruit WA more, and that WSU did what they demanded, recruited WA more, and that they(WA, coaches, players, collectively, not individually, BLEW IT, and that they can now SHUT UP their demands that WSU recruit WA more, because WHY should WSU recruit WA more, since the answer is going to be no. I would tell them that after that BS of them BLOWING it, that if they want WSU to recruit WA again, they can PROVE it by having their Div 1, Pac 12, 3, 3.5 stars, etc, RECRUIT WSU, instead of WSU wasting its time recruiting them, and getting told no. WSU did what was demanded. WSU recruited WA, and the coaches, players, etc, THEY FAILED TO PROVE IT THAT THEY SUPPOSEDLY WANTED WSU TO RECRUIT WA MORE BY SAYING NO COLLECTIVELY, NOT INDIVIDUALLY.

That's what I would tell them, and also say in public on the media, if I was Rolo, if they, none of the top 10, 4 stars said yes, and instead all said no. I would publically SHAME THEM ALL COLLECTIVELY, AND CALL THEM OUT COLLECTIVELY, AND TELL THEM PUBLICALLY TO STOP DEMANDING TO RECRUIT WA, AND THEN SAYING NO WHEN DO RECRUIT WA. I WOULD CALL THEM HYPOCRITES THAT DEMAND THAT WSU RECRUIT WA MORE BUT THEN WONT SAY YES WHEN DO RECRUIT WA.

But I would only say that if none of the top 10 recruits in WA say yes to WSU.

Ball is in their corner now. Time for them to PUT UP OR SHUT UP, TIME TO SEE IF THEY ARE HYPOCRITES OR NOT THAT WOULD DEMAND RECRUITING, AND THEN SAY NO TO THE DEMANDED RECRUITING.

But I think at least 1 of the top 10 will say yes to WSU.

I like your point about coronavirus helping us recruit locally. We might leverage that into some success. Perhaps kids want to get a little further away from home after lock down but not be too far away. We can hope.

I've been reading fluff pieces for over 20 years about how some local kid loves Pullman on a visit and it really opened his eyes. And I've seen us lose almost every one of those kids for the past 20 years. After a while a pattern starts to emerge. Those two guys from Kennedy Catholic liked us, so we have our foot in the door, but we probably need to offer their buddy who isn't nearly as highly touted to get those signatures.

We've had much better success focusing our efforts out of state, where kids haven't been brainwashed into thinking WSU is a backwater outpost of last resort. I think UW learned it's lesson in the early 90's when they let us make inroads on the west side. They put a stop to that as quickly as possible once Neuheisel arrived. We haven't had much success in state since.

Reactions: Coug1990
Maybe your Alex Jones lizard people conspiracy theory is what's going on here.

Or maybe, just hear me out on this, reporters who have covered West coast recruiting for over 20 years talked to this kid to write a story and he indicated he's a strong lean to Virginia.

How about a friendly bet? If McCarron verbals to Virginia you end all your posts for a year with "I'm an idiot and no one should take my opinions seriously". If he verbals here, I'll do the same. Care to take me up on this offer?

Its not a conspiracy theory its FACTS, LOGIC

FACT, LOGIC 1.

McCarron and his family are BIG WSU fans, that bleed crimson and gray, that follows WSU program, coaches, players extremelybcarefully.

Fact, Logic 2. McCarron LOVES WSU, coaches, players, fans, etc.

Fact Logic 3. McCarron his visited WSU LOTS of times, more then any other College.

Fact Logic 4. McCarron's Parents went to WSU(At least according to the article I read.

Fact Logic 5. McCarron's sister is a freshman at WSU.

Maybe your expert or other experts did talk to him, and maybe he did say that he is a strong lean, etc, and that that is why they are predicting Virginia.

But we dont know if that is the case or not.

Going by the above facts, Logic, its LOGICAL that WSU is the UNOFFICIAL FAVORITE.

that is LOGICAL, not a conspiracy.

But a question here. Dont you think that if that was true that he had said that he was a strong lean to Virginia, or something like that, or some other hint, etc, that it would get out, and that there would be articles, and things that would show up on google searches that would back that up?

Why is there nothing about that type of thing showing up in google searches?

And why isnt your expert saying: McCarron is gona go to Virginia, because he told me that he is leaning strongly to Virginia?

And if he did say something like that, why isnt it showing up in google searches.

As to your friendly bet, I turn it down but counter with:

If I am wrong, then I will state here that you are right, and I am wrong, and I will not only eat my words, but I will write my words down, take a picture of them then either post the picture here, or in another thread, then I will literally try to literally eat my words.

Or I can do your bet for a shorter time, say 1 month.

Biggest problem I have with your bet is that its too long to type that at every post, and to have to remember to do it every time.

Also just because either your wrong or I am wrong, fmdoesnt make either one of us idiots. Illogical maybe yes, idiots no.

And the last problem with your bet, is that altho I think there is about a 97% chance I am right, there is about a 3% chance that I am wrong.

People get stuck by lightning bolts, when that is less of a chance then the chance that I am wrong.

If you agree to mt counter, thats fine

But if not, its no to your bet.

That doesnt change that I stand by my logic, and the facts that I read about in a article about McCarron by a Rival's like thing like ESPN, 247, Coug Center, SBNation, Brand X, Brand Y, etc.

I like your point about coronavirus helping us recruit locally. We might leverage that into some success. Perhaps kids want to get a little further away from home after lock down but not be too far away. We can hope.

I've been reading fluff pieces for over 20 years about how some local kid loves Pullman on a visit and it really opened his eyes. And I've seen us lose almost every one of those kids for the past 20 years. After a while a pattern starts to emerge. Those two guys from Kennedy Catholic liked us, so we have our foot in the door, but we probably need to offer their buddy who isn't nearly as highly touted to get those signatures.

We've had much better success focusing our efforts out of state, where kids haven't been brainwashed into thinking WSU is a backwater outpost of last resort. I think UW learned it's lesson in the early 90's when they let us make inroads on the west side. They put a stop to that as quickly as possible once Neuheisel arrived. We haven't had much success in state since.

I get what your saying about the fluff pieces about xyz recruiting loving WSU, then going elsewhere.

Its not just Alexander, Tinua, and McCarron that are saying that. If it was just them, maybe they are blowing smoke to be nice, classy, make WSU feel good, etc.

But its not just the kids, its their parents, family, friends, players, coaches, etc. Seriously doubt that parents, family, friends, coaches, etc, all combined together are blowing smoke.

The other factor is that Rolo has SPENT a HELL of a LOT of time recruiting Kenndy Catholic(Not the players)(just trying to establish relationships with the school, its coaches, players, etc, as a whole).

That whole Kennedy Catholic HS, coaches, players, as a whole collectively, not individually ABSOLUTELY LOVES ROLO, WSU.

They are in WSU's, Rolo's corner.

When you combine that with the rest of what I said, and how WSU is in their top 6, then there is a ok, semi good chance that they will choose WSU.

Not saying that they wont go somewhere else. They may. Its possible, but there is a greater chance then normal that they goto WSU.

Also WSU should offer their teammate, but it should also be done on condition that if they dont say yes to WSU, the offer to their teammate is off the table.

I think its perfectly ok to throw away 1 scholly to a non Div 1, 1,2,1.5 atar, NR, Whitworth, Big Sky, Mountain West, etc, player in order to get 2, 4 star players.

I agree with you that WSU is probably better served not recruiting WA, because of what you said.

That is 1 concern that I do have about Rolo, when he said that he wpuld make recruiting WA a priority. I wondered if he would settle for 1 star, 2 star, 1.5 star, NR, whitworth college, big sky talent, like Wulf did.

But Rolo has so far shown that he wont do what wulf did recruiting wise.

And since the media, coaches, etc, have demanded that WSU recruit WA more then I think that Rolo needs to for 1,2 years recruit WA more, put the ball into their court, give them the chance to PROVE that they want WSU to recruit WA more by getting a couple, few, some, etc, of their WA 4 stars to say yea to WSU, and that if they dont, Rolo needs to call them out, shame them, get them to either stop demanding that WSU recruit WA more, or to get their kids to say yes to WSU.

Its PUT UP OR SHUT UP time for those that demand that WSU recruit WA more.

If they wont say yes to Rolo, Leach, then they wont say yes, even if Saban were to be WSU's coach.

And if thats the case, then its not worth WSU's time recruiting WA.

But I do still think WSU will get at least 1 of the Top 10 WA, 4 star recruits.

But that's still pretty bad.

If WSU cant get at least 2 out of the top 10 WA 4 star recruits, that's bad, as WSU should at least get that.

But I think WSU gets at least 1 WA 4 star recruit.

I’m too lazy to look. But is it true we don’t have any 2021 verbals?

True.

Not really surprising with a new staff and global pandemic. I’d guess the first guy will be from Hawaii or Samoa.

I’m too lazy to look. But is it true we don’t have any 2021 verbals?

That's pretty lazy. But yes, we have 0 verbals listed.

Of course, it isn't like everyone else has 15 verbals and we have 0. There are plenty of schools in the conference that have 1 or 2 kids verbaled. I think UofA was the only other school with 0 though.

Not having a spring ball hurts. Recruits can't stop by to meet and greet and see in person the schemes they will play in. If the fall season gets pushed back or canceled altogether, ouch. Rolo needs more than highlights from UofH to show recruits. He has to have product on the field to show what he and his staff can do.

If that doesn't happen it will be right back to recruiting at a FCS level.

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that this is the year that we beat recruiting expectations in-state. The combination of the virus uncertainty, the travel restrictions, an exciting & energetic new staff and either a severely limited or no season for HS seniors is going to keep a lot of kids closer to home. At least that is what the side of my crystal ball that I've been polishing says...

Reactions: mikalalas
I personally don't care if he recruits Mars. As long as we get the right kids for the program.

If there are Erik Coleman's and Marcus Trufant's out there, then get them...but I don't think putting a priority on the state of recruiting Washington just for the sake of it is wise.

There isnt enough BCS talent to field a roster. Honestly, most of the programs dont do a good job. The kids you get that are tweeners take years to develop. Which is fine if you have time to wait and a roster that allows the wait. Otherwise youre putting kids onto a BCS field that arent ready. Which isnt gonna work.

WSU needs to be a SoCal team.

There isnt enough BCS talent to field a roster. Honestly, most of the programs dont do a good job. The kids you get that are tweeners take years to develop. Which is fine if you have time to wait and a roster that allows the wait. Otherwise youre putting kids onto a BCS field that arent ready. Which isnt gonna work.

Under normal circumstances, I agree. But right now we need to hedge our bets a bit. In the aftermath of COVID, there’s likely to be a couple of years of kids and parents who don’t want their kid that far from home. USC and UCLA will get the ones they want. Fresno State, SDSU, and some others will benefit too. I think we’re likely to suffer somewhat in our out of region recruiting because of it. So we need to spend some effort to chase the best in the NW.

And as a backup plan, the coaching staff has to have a really good “we’ll take care of your kid” pitch put together. Find a way to show that nervous parent that sending them to WSU is the next best thing to not letting them leave the nest. Shouldn’t be hard to build that pitch, since in many ways it’s likely to be true.

Reactions: mikalalas
That's pretty lazy. But yes, we have 0 verbals listed.

Of course, it isn't like everyone else has 15 verbals and we have 0. There are plenty of schools in the conference that have 1 or 2 kids verbaled. I think UofA was the only other school with 0 though.

Not having a spring ball hurts. Recruits can't stop by to meet and greet and see in person the schemes they will play in. If the fall season gets pushed back or canceled altogether, ouch. Rolo needs more than highlights from UofH to show recruits. He has to have product on the field to show what he and his staff can do.

If that doesn't happen it will be right back to recruiting at a FCS level.

So thats why WSU has 1, 4 star already signed in the early signing period for this 2020-2021 recruiting class.

And that's why McCarron, Alexander, Tinua, are all interested in WSU and might probably even commit to, sign with play a5 WSU, as part of WSU's 2020-2021 recruiting class

The only reason why WSU doesnt have any verbals, is because of the 4 star that signed during the early signing period, if not for that, he would be a verbal commit now.

But I guess those players are FCS, instead of the 4 stars that they are.

Also Rolo and his staff at Hawai, Wyoming, were pretty good at finding diamonds in the rough, late bloomers, under the radar talent that they developed.

They can probably do that at WSU too.

But do keep up your doom and gloom, WSU's world is ending, sky is falling, because they have no verbals, and will only get FCS talent.

Keep it up NEGACOUGS.

Shows tha5 despite Leach's success at WSU, that he still hasnt changed the culture of let alone fans, let alone non fans, and hasnt changed the POOR OLE LITTLE OLE WSU mentality, culture.

But I am not part of that culture mentality. I have BIG BOY expectations of Rolo, WSU.

Under normal circumstances, I agree. But right now we need to hedge our bets a bit. In the aftermath of COVID, there’s likely to be a couple of years of kids and parents who don’t want their kid that far from home. USC and UCLA will get the ones they want. Fresno State, SDSU, and some others will benefit too. I think we’re likely to suffer somewhat in our out of region recruiting because of it. So we need to spend some effort to chase the best in the NW.

And as a backup plan, the coaching staff has to have a really good “we’ll take care of your kid” pitch put together. Find a way to show that nervous parent that sending them to WSU is the next best thing to not letting them leave the nest. Shouldn’t be hard to build that pitch, since in many ways it’s likely to be true.

You may see West Coast kids sticking closer to home for sure. The less kids that go off to the SEC... the more likely WSU catches some kids that are overlooked.

If it's me, Im not ignoring the NW kids. I am also not taking flyers on kids either. The NW is not the talent base of the West Coast. If anything, I make clear to the NW HS coaches of the talent level or potential I expect and that I am not wavering from it.

It'll be interesting to see what shakes out this year if HS games are canceled. I think you'll see a ton of combine film. Coaches will essentially be recruiting off of junior year game film and video of kids running and jumping. If kids are able to congregate I think you'll see tons of live events. 7 on 7, 1 on 1 pass rush... You'll see hundreds of kids show up to combines to get in front of coaches.

If Rolo can't sell the safety of Pullman they hired the wrong guy.

I don't argue that we need a big SoCal recruiting presence, with some NorCal thrown in. But these are unusual times, and it seems likely to me that this year, and perhaps next year, more kids will stay closer to home all across the USA than they have for the past 15-20 years. And yes, WA doesn't have nearly as many football factory HS as CA. So, yes, there will be some development time needed. We can afford that on both lines, and both lines together add up to more than 1/3 of a recruiting class. We can also afford it at any position where the kid appears to have the athleticism but is not as fully developed. All of which we can avail ourselves of in WA. This is a big year in WA. There might be 25 legit FBS kids in-state this year. I suspect that this is the year that we get 8-10 of those.

I agree we gotta get back to making California a priority. Price was a master at that.

I always wondered why why couldn't get the speed that Price had on his defenses under Leach...especially in the front 7.

With the exception of Hercules, we just didn't have the team speed that Price had on his better teams.

And as an edit to my post, I remember my jaw dropping when I saw Jason Hill on special teams. I would like to get back to that type of speed.

Price was consistent in terms of picking up some WA linemen and SoCal speed. He and Erickson were both big on getting speed, long before that was the mantra.

I agree we gotta get back to making California a priority. Price was a master at that.

I always wondered why why couldn't get the speed that Price had on his defenses under Leach...especially in the front 7.

With the exception of Hercules, we just didn't have the team speed that Price had on his better teams.

And as an edit to my post, I remember my jaw dropping when I saw Jason Hill on special teams. I would like to get back to that type of speed.

Without having all the signing lists in front of me, I'm guessing Leach and Price pulled in similar numbers of kids from California. If memory serves, Price would pull 10-15 from Cali. 5 from the PNW (WA, OR, ID and MT), 5 from JC and fill the rest up from places like Hawaii, Nevada, Arizona and Utah.

Leach pulled in more like 10 from CA, 5 JC's, and the rest from all corners of the earth.

I think Price would struggle to field the team speed he had in the 90's due to the rise of combines. Lots of the guesswork was taken out a kids measurables. It puts hundreds of kids on the same surface, running against the same clock. There would have been more competition for a kid like D.D. Acholonu who had elite speed from the moment he set foot on campus.

Without having all the signing lists in front of me, I'm guessing Leach and Price pulled in similar numbers of kids from California. If memory serves, Price would pull 10-15 from Cali. 5 from the PNW (WA, OR, ID and MT), 5 from JC and fill the rest up from places like Hawaii, Nevada, Arizona and Utah.

Leach pulled in more like 10 from CA, 5 JC's, and the rest from all corners of the earth.

I think Price would struggle to field the team speed he had in the 90's due to the rise of combines. Lots of the guesswork was taken out a kids measurables. It puts hundreds of kids on the same surface, running against the same clock. There would have been more competition for a kid like D.D. Acholonu who had elite speed from the moment he set foot on campus.

What set Price apart is he knew where he could play DD. If DD played today Leach would not have signed him, nor would others even if he went to every combine on the west coast. They would have seen a guy with straight ahead speed, probably didnt excel at cone drills, and coaches would have said we can't play him at OLB unless maybe a 3/4 to rush the passer, but if he was caught in pass drops they would have shied away from him.

Price was a master of moving kids around, knowing where they projected. DD was a freak straight ahead. Do you think would have jumped at Torey Hunter, Pointer, or even Mobley? Do you think other coaches saw Childs as a OLB?

I don't know if Rolo is more Leach or more Price in the projection part, I just haven't seen anything to make a judgement. And maybe Leach didn't need to project as much because he was a more high profile coach compared to Price.

What set Price apart is he knew where he could play DD. If DD played today Leach would not have signed him, nor would others even if he went to every combine on the west coast. They would have seen a guy with straight ahead speed, probably didnt excel at cone drills, and coaches would have said we can't play him at OLB unless maybe a 3/4 to rush the passer, but if he was caught in pass drops they would have shied away from him.

Price was a master of moving kids around, knowing where they projected. DD was a freak straight ahead. Do you think would have jumped at Torey Hunter, Pointer, or even Mobley? Do you think other coaches saw Childs as a OLB?

I don't know if Rolo is more Leach or more Price in the projection part, I just haven't seen anything to make a judgement. And maybe Leach didn't need to project as much because he was a more high profile coach compared to Price.

So, Leach has no idea where to play guys that were too small, too slow, or lacking some kind of measurable other coaches wanted?

Or maybe Leach’s career whole career is based on doing that.

I’m gonna need a bigger data plan to accommodate Mike’s posts.

Haa!! Now that's funny!

Maybe Comcast has a Cougzone special so maybe give them a call...but then again there is this:
how-to-win-the-war-on-drugs-1-legalize-drugs-32453779.png

MP and DE had vertical passing games. Where has the deep ball been the past 15 years at WSU??? Nowhere to be found.

The Doba 43 defense... Find the two largest humans you can to play DT. Find the two fastest DL you can to play DE. Let your LBs run. That was his front 7.

I am a believer in getting kids with length and adding weight. And when I say length, I mean 6'5" and taller. 6'4" only if it's a wide body. 6'3" and shorter just doesn't have the levers to take on taller kids on the LOS. 300lbs. just doesn't carry as well at that height. Not to say that kids haven't been able to make it work. You're betting on long odds though.

MP would talk about how they would call HS coaches and ask two questions. Who is your best player? Who is your toughest kid? If it wasn't the same kid they moved on.

Identifying BCS kids isn't hard. They are bigger than all the other kids. They have stats that blow you away. They run faster than everyone else. They have all league, all state, all star after their name. The hard part is identifying work ethic, toughness, "want to".... Bill Parcels said he would ask kids at the combine what are the 3 most important things to you. If football wasn't one of them, next.

Reactions: spongeworthy12
Regarding your bet, I give you the option of either writing your words onto paper and uploading a video of you eating them (not recommended but admittedly hilarious) or posting for a month the "I'm an idiot and nothing I write should be taken seriously at the end of all your posts. I'll do the same if McCarron goes to WSU. If he goes to Virginia, you lose. Want to call it a draw if he goes elsewhere?

Deal?

Its not a conspiracy theory its FACTS, LOGIC

FACT, LOGIC 1.

McCarron and his family are BIG WSU fans, that bleed crimson and gray, that follows WSU program, coaches, players extremelybcarefully.

Fact, Logic 2. McCarron LOVES WSU, coaches, players, fans, etc.

Fact Logic 3. McCarron his visited WSU LOTS of times, more then any other College.

Fact Logic 4. McCarron's Parents went to WSU(At least according to the article I read.

Fact Logic 5. McCarron's sister is a freshman at WSU.

Maybe your expert or other experts did talk to him, and maybe he did say that he is a strong lean, etc, and that that is why they are predicting Virginia.

But we dont know if that is the case or not.

Going by the above facts, Logic, its LOGICAL that WSU is the UNOFFICIAL FAVORITE.

that is LOGICAL, not a conspiracy.

But a question here. Dont you think that if that was true that he had said that he was a strong lean to Virginia, or something like that, or some other hint, etc, that it would get out, and that there would be articles, and things that would show up on google searches that would back that up?

Why is there nothing about that type of thing showing up in google searches?

And why isnt your expert saying: McCarron is gona go to Virginia, because he told me that he is leaning strongly to Virginia?

And if he did say something like that, why isnt it showing up in google searches.

As to your friendly bet, I turn it down but counter with:

If I am wrong, then I will state here that you are right, and I am wrong, and I will not only eat my words, but I will write my words down, take a picture of them then either post the picture here, or in another thread, then I will literally try to literally eat my words.

Or I can do your bet for a shorter time, say 1 month.

Biggest problem I have with your bet is that its too long to type that at every post, and to have to remember to do it every time.

Also just because either your wrong or I am wrong, fmdoesnt make either one of us idiots. Illogical maybe yes, idiots no.

And the last problem with your bet, is that altho I think there is about a 97% chance I am right, there is about a 3% chance that I am wrong.

People get stuck by lightning bolts, when that is less of a chance then the chance that I am wrong.

If you agree to mt counter, thats fine

But if not, its no to your bet.

That doesnt change that I stand by my logic, and the facts that I read about in a article about McCarron by a Rival's like thing like ESPN, 247, Coug Center, SBNation, Brand X, Brand Y, etc.

This is just bizarre, Ed. The only thing Leach is known more for than getting players with undervalued skillsets and attributes, projecting ways in which they can contribute as P5 players, is running the Air Raid.

Regarding your bet, I give you the option of either writing your words onto paper and uploading a video of you eating them (not recommended but admittedly hilarious) or posting for a month the "I'm an idiot and nothing I write should be taken seriously at the end of all your posts. I'll do the same if McCarron goes to WSU. If he goes to Virginia, you lose. Want to call it a draw if he goes elsewhere?

Deal?

Personally, Mik, I'd put the relative likelihoods at UVA 75%, WSU 10%, somewhere else 15%. Use caution in taking the bet.

Personally, Mik, I'd put the relative likelihoods at UVA 75%, WSU 10%, somewhere else 15%. Use caution in taking the bet.

Good advice. And the more time that passes without something really definitive, the lower the UVA percentage. Might just be flavor of the week.

This is just bizarre, Ed. The only thing Leach is known more for than getting players with undervalued skillsets and attributes, projecting ways in which they can contribute as P5 players, is running the Air Raid.

Maybe offensively...but certainly not defensively.

Maybe offensively...but certainly not defensively.

Context. Far more athletes want to play defense now. Gone are the days of landing Marcus Trufant because you told him he could play RB when you had him penciled in to play CB all along. Either he learns from the 7 v 7 circuit he's a really good DB and gets recruited to play there or he really wants to be a running back and hits the portal when you switch him.

Context. Far more athletes want to play defense now. Gone are the days of landing Marcus Trufant because you told him he could play RB when you had him penciled in to play CB all along. Either he learns from the 7 v 7 circuit he's a really good DB and gets recruited to play there or he really wants to be a running back and hits the portal when you switch him.

Which then makes what Price did defensively even more remarkable.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif

Why is what I write bizarre ? When has he taken a qb and moved to wr? A qb (merriwether) to rb, Nian Taylor, Chris Jackson, Trufant, Hunter, Mkristo Bruce and a bunch of other players who played different positions in high school.

You are correct he has been able to see how cracraft fits into his offense . Brett Bartilone as well.

Only time I have seen him move a player was Sale from online to Dline and T Caldwell from RB to ss. ( a week before the season opener .

So maybe he thinks the guys he is able to get on defense are better than the hunters, burns , trufants of the world . Maybe he has that much cache . Not the case I was making about Price .

Which then makes what Price did defensively even more remarkable.

Price was ahead of his time, for sure. The formula was to snag a bunch of talent, play them early and often, lose a bunch while they gain experience, get good when the team is veteran and pray no one gets hurt because there is almost zero depth.

Remember how we held our collective breath when Ira Davis punched out Jason David in 2002? Fortunately Paymah and Derting picked up the slack but that almost cost us the conference. Even so, missing David probably cost us the Apple Cup. It worked.

I'm not sure Price's boom and bust cycles are a formula for success anymore. Heck, folks were eager to get rid of Leach for a 6-7 season following 4 straight winning seasons. Price went 3-8, 3-9, and 4-7 following 97 and no one wanted him gone.

Good advice. And the more time that passes without something really definitive, the lower the UVA percentage. Might just be flavor of the week.

Yeah, agreed. With a 4-star talent like this who is willing to go out of state and seems focused on academics, there are any number of suitors who could show up, like one of the Big 10 schools (e.g., Wisconsin, maybe even Michigan) and, of course, various schools in the Pac-12 who may whiff on some other guys and show up this fall/winter. On the UVA point, not everyone realizes how strong its academic reputation is. It's up there just a slight notch below places like Berkeley and Michigan, above the UWs of the world.

Price was ahead of his time, for sure. The formula was to snag a bunch of talent, play them early and often, lose a bunch while they gain experience, get good when the team is veteran and pray no one gets hurt because there is almost zero depth.

Remember how we held our collective breath when Ira Davis punched out Jason David in 2002? Fortunately Paymah and Derting picked up the slack but that almost cost us the conference. Even so, missing David probably cost us the Apple Cup. It worked.

I'm not sure Price's boom and bust cycles are a formula for success anymore. Heck, folks were eager to get rid of Leach for a 6-7 season following 4 straight winning seasons. Price went 3-8, 3-9, and 4-7 following 97 and no one wanted him gone.

I certainly don't miss Price's "recessions" but its not really a fair comparison.

Price didn't have the name that Leach came in with...and certainly didn't have the facilities and the Pac 12 revenue sharing.

Heck, he probably had to paint his own office.

I think what Price was able to accomplish was amazing.

I certainly don't miss Price's "recessions" but its not really a fair comparison.

Price didn't have the name that Leach came in with...and certainly didn't have the facilities and the Pac 12 revenue sharing.

Heck, he probably had to paint his own office.

I think what Price was able to accomplish was amazing.

Price did have UW on probation for a good part of his tenure and USC was garbage for most of his tenure as well. Different eras. Our facilities compared to the rest of the conference weren't that bad until Oregon started an arms race. Recruiting also wasn't a 365 day a year affair the way it is now so a coach had time to do things like paint his office.

We can go round and round about what coaches had to work with. Leach demanded more resources from the school to compete. Price kept his head down because he knew he wasn't a man with a ton of options. Ultimately Price had higher highs and lower lows. On balance, I think Leach was the better coach though I'll love Price forever for 1992, 1994, 1997, 2001 and 2002. Those seasons meant more because of all we suffered through to get to that point.

Price did have UW on probation for a good part of his tenure and USC was garbage for most of his tenure as well. Different eras. Our facilities compared to the rest of the conference weren't that bad until Oregon started an arms race. Recruiting also wasn't a 365 day a year affair the way it is now so a coach had time to do things like paint his office.

We can go round and round about what coaches had to work with. Leach demanded more resources from the school to compete. Price kept his head down because he knew he wasn't a man with a ton of options. Ultimately Price had higher highs and lower lows. On balance, I think Leach was the better coach though I'll love Price forever for 1992, 1994, 1997, 2001 and 2002. Those seasons meant more because of all we suffered through to get to that point.

I think a lot of it is many of us favor whoever was coaching when we were in school or shortly there after(unless it was Wulff)

I was in school during the Price years and my last semester was fall of '97 so I got a cheap Rose Bowl ticket..and snuck into the Apple Cup that year at UW.

Got kicked out of the 94 Apple Cup for smuggling booze though. But that's neither here nor there. :D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT