ADVERTISEMENT

How will recruiting go?

chugspig

Hall Of Fame
Nov 5, 2011
Since this staff is going to have to build relationships in a pretty unconventional manner. Most staffs will have already had the opportunity to build in person relationships, even if it’s only a quick chat during a visit of a 2020 recruit, local unofficials etc. I believe this group will be better at recruiting than Leach’s was but this first full year might require some patience again. They’ve already had a lot
stacked against them.

Since this staff is going to have to build relationships in a pretty unconventional manner. Most staffs will have already had the opportunity to build in person relationships, even if it’s only a quick chat during a visit of a 2020 recruit, local unofficials etc. I believe this group will be better at recruiting than Leach’s was but this first full year might require some patience again. They’ve already had a lot
stacked against them.
Too early to know if/how people’s behavior will change after this. It’s possible some parents and recruits will opt for a school closer to home even if it’s not in as prestigious a conference or division. That would make the next couple recruiting years very challenging for the Cougs, I think.

It will all be done by phone, facetime, msg, etc. There will be no in school, in home or game visits.

If kids do stay close to home, expect UCLA and SC to take 50 out of SoCal. Everyone else is traveling. That being said, assuming WSU has quality men coaching for them I actually expect them to do well. There aren't gonna be game day visits. There aren't gonna be campus tours.

Kids will choose schools based on the relationships they made with the coaching staff. The glitz and the glitter isn't going to have the same effect. The kids may know it's there, but they will not have had the opportunity to be on campus at Oregon...

The SEC has been showing up in California recently. I expect to see more mama bears telling their cubs there is no way in hell they're going that far from home.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
It will all be done by phone, facetime, msg, etc. There will be no in school, in home or game visits.

If kids do stay close to home, expect UCLA and SC to take 50 out of SoCal. Everyone else is traveling. That being said, assuming WSU has quality men coaching for them I actually expect them to do well. There aren't gonna be game day visits. There aren't gonna be campus tours.

Kids will choose schools based on the relationships they made with the coaching staff. The glitz and the glitter isn't going to have the same effect. The kids may know it's there, but they will not have had the opportunity to be on campus at Oregon...

The SEC has been showing up in California recently. I expect to see more mama bears telling their cubs there is no way in hell they're going that far from home.

I think this is right on. More stay closer to home emphasis, less glitz factor. UCLA and USC losing fewer kids to the Midwest and South schools. And I'll add one more thing. There is likely to be some degree of perceived "safety factor" in a rural setting. That has always been true, but I would not be surprised if it counts for more this year than it would in a normal year.

Would love to hear your reasoning on this statement.
Chugspig did not mention his reasons but I am not so sure that he is incorrect. Rolovich seems to be more personally involved in the recruiting process than CML ever was. As far as the rest of the staff is concerned, we will have to wait and see.

One concern that I do have is that we may be getting a bit over our skis in who we pursue. Reading the lists of other offers, I see a lot of blue blood schools. i.e. The Alabamas, LSUs, Notre Dames of the college football world. Reminds me of the early/mid 2000s when we went after top notch recruits only to come in second, third or worse. Nothing wrong with offering but I would hope that Rolo and staff are not counting on too many acceptances. Our failures during the time mentioned really left the cupboard bare.

Reactions: Cougzz and SDCoug
Would love to hear your reasoning on this statement.

I believe this staff actually connects with players. Heard and have seen a decent amount to confirm guys are building relationships with our assistants. I think parents will jive with them more too. I don’t know if that ends in better recruiting classes yet, but it seems like we are getting more positive responses across the board.

Also would add, Rolo did a good job at Hawaii finding quality offensive players that were leftovers. And the Wyoming staff did wonders on D. The type of guys people want to play for.

I believe this staff actually connects with players. Heard and have seen a decent amount to confirm guys are building relationships with our assistants. I think parents will jive with them more too. I don’t know if that ends in better recruiting classes yet, but it seems like we are getting more positive responses across the board.

Also would add, Rolo did a good job at Hawaii finding quality offensive players that were leftovers. And the Wyoming staff did wonders on D. The type of guys people want to play for.

Julian Simon, a top 100 recruit nationally and a local kid, didn't even put us in his top 8. We haven't exactly been getting buzz from a bunch from other kids. We have three kids from the Eastside Catholic train gang interested but the one who is most interested is the kid with zero P5 offers. We'll see who we end up with, but so far our recruiting activity has been offering everyone under the sun.

I think this staff has everything except Leach's national reputation going for it. And enough personal involvement from Rolo might even be enough to overcome that aspect. Recruiting, if done right, is hard work. I saw too few putting in that hard work for the past year or two. A few guys, yes. The whole staff? No f*ing way. Rolo's staff certainly gives the impression of being more engaged with recruiting. And if Rolo is staying on it behind the scenes, I suspect we will have better results than the past couple of years.

There were some damn good recruiters on Leach’s previous staffs. Manning, Wilson, big Joe, Mastro, Simmons....Last years staff was admittedly a step back but overall it will be a tall order to eclipse what Leach’s staff did over his tenure. As far as Leach being less active than Rolo the truth is Leach is a celebrity. Recruits wanted to meet him so he didn’t have to work that hard. Personally, I’d never heard of Rolo until the coaching search opened up. I like him but he’s got some ground to make up to catch up to Leach and staff.

I think this staff has everything except Leach's national reputation going for it. And enough personal involvement from Rolo might even be enough to overcome that aspect. Recruiting, if done right, is hard work. I saw too few putting in that hard work for the past year or two. A few guys, yes. The whole staff? No f*ing way. Rolo's staff certainly gives the impression of being more engaged with recruiting. And if Rolo is staying on it behind the scenes, I suspect we will have better results than the past couple of years.

Agreed on the work ethic part of things, the staff is certainly more motivated than they've been in the past couple of years. We've got to upgrade, or at least maintain, the level of talent in our program. Rolo & Co. haven't proved themselves yet in this area. The only area where he has seemed to generate more buzz is with scammers like Tracy Ford. Of course, he's excited about the prospect of pimping out non-P5 talent to a coach who is eager to build inroads in state. We start beating out solid P5 programs for WA kids, I'll be impressed.

I do think we have coaches on both sides of the ball who will be great at evaluating and bringing in underrecruited talent from all over the country. I think once we figure out the new schemes we'll be fine.

Reactions: mikalalas
Chugspig did not mention his reasons but I am not so sure that he is incorrect. Rolovich seems to be more personally involved in the recruiting process than CML ever was. As far as the rest of the staff is concerned, we will have to wait and see.

One concern that I do have is that we may be getting a bit over our skis in who we pursue. Reading the lists of other offers, I see a lot of blue blood schools. i.e. The Alabamas, LSUs, Notre Dames of the college football world. Reminds me of the early/mid 2000s when we went after top notch recruits only to come in second, third or worse. Nothing wrong with offering but I would hope that Rolo and staff are not counting on too many acceptances. Our failures during the time mentioned really left the cupboard bare.

Actually what you said about recruiting over WSU's ski's is only half true.

Price had beat out blue blood schools for some 4,5 star recruits(Yes I know the star ranking system wasnt around then, but Drew Bledsoe was a 5 star ranked caliber, top rated player.

Doba's staff did go after, beat out, get some 4 star recruits, that blue bloods wanted.

In fact his 2003/2004 class was rated about between about 19th to 29th to 39th to 49th in the country, and had 1,2,3, 4 stars and the rest were all 3 stars.

No 1,2 stars, No NR's, etc.

The problem with that class was not lack of recruiting, lack of beating out blue bloods, chasing too many blue blood level recruits etc.

The problem with that class, was that Estes, and almost all of the 4 star, etc, DIDNT PAN OUT, WASHED OUT.

If that class would have measured up to its higher ranking, had panned out, hadnt washed out etc, 2006,2007 would have been 8,9,10 win, bowl game, Holiday Bowl, Alamo Bowl, etc years.

The problem with that class is that altho blue bloods were after the 4 stars in that class, those 4 star recruits were RISKY, ACADEMIC RISK, ATTITUDE RISK, DRUG/POT RISK, ETC.

That and they probably were not EVALUATED well enough.

Just because a recruit is a 4,5 star, and recruited by everybody, doesnt mean that you dont need to EVALUATE them.

And they probably were not developed well, and were not kept out of trouble well.

Some of that is on those recruits, but some of that was on Doba and his staff.

But be that as it is, its revisionist history to say that Doba recruited over his Ski's and had a bad recruiting class because he supposedly lost recruiting battles to blue bloods, and got stuck with 1,2 star recruits.

That is false

That class was higher rated, and Doba did beat out some blue blood schools for some 4 star, higher rated recruits

Tjat said I get your point that cant just go after 5 star recruits.

But you can go after and get 4,5 star recruits at WSU if your a good recruiter, if you offer a LOT of 4,5 star recruits, and if you offer a lot of 3 star plan A,B,C,D, 3 star, etc, recruits. In case your not able to recruit, get 4,5 star recruits.

Rolo, amd Smith are AWESOME, RELENTLESS recruiters, they can get away with recruiting, going after, offering 4,5 star, blue blood recruits, because they put out so much TIME, OFFERS, etc, combined with SOLID BACK UP PLANS, that usually a 4,5 star, blue blood recruit eventually signs someday in the future, and they get solid 3.5 star recruits.

Its just a matter of time. Rolo, Smith for both football, basketball, will eventually get a 4,5 star recruit eventually, but that in the meantime will get some solid 3.5 star recruits.

Last edited:
Julian Simon, a top 100 recruit nationally and a local kid, didn't even put us in his top 8. We haven't exactly been getting buzz from a bunch from other kids. We have three kids from the Eastside Catholic train gang interested but the one who is most interested is the kid with zero P5 offers. We'll see who we end up with, but so far our recruiting activity has been offering everyone under the sun.

That is a concern. But that is not Rolo's fault.

You would think that the SUCCESS that Leach did at WSU would interest Julian more.

But Leach also finished with only 6 wins his last year. Had Leach gone 9-3, and gone to the Rosebowl last year, Julian might have bern interested.

Also Leach hasnt been recruiting WA well. Thats because usually there arent Julian top 100 players, etc, in WA. And if Leach had recruited a lot of WA kids like Wulf, he might have gotten Wulf like results.

The problem is its a catch 22. You have to recruit WA, in order to have a better chance at getting Julian's coach to say to Julian: "Hey Julian you really should goto WSU"

Problem is, if you recruit WA, to try to get Julian, you get 1 star, 2 star Big Sky players, instead of 3 star, 3.5 star pac 12 players

And not only do you have to consistently recruit WA, Spokane, etc, you have to consistently win 8,9,10,11, etc, games a season.

Now Price recruited 4.5 star DL Jeremy Williams from Spokane.

But then again Price recriited Spokane. Was a good recruiter, was a players coach, liked by recruits, players, parents, etc. And Price was at WSU for 13 years.

If Rolo is at WSU for 7 to 13 years, and if Rolo recruits Spokane WA, and if Rolo builds upon Leach and wins at least 7,8 games every year, and goes to a bowl game every year for the next 7 to 13 years, on top of the 4,5 bowl games in a row that Leach did, for 10 to 20 straight years of 7,8,9 wins, bowl game every year, then Rolo can get a Jeremy Williams, Julian eventually.

But now?

Forget it. Julian wont goto WSU.

But Rolo needs to still offer Julian even if to only be able to say:

"Ok fine, I'll recruit WA, Spokane, but when i do, you either PUT UP or SHUT UP,. You either commit, sign when I offer, or I will stop recruiting Spokane, WA, as I will not be offering 1 star, Whitworth College caliber Spokane HS, WA, players, recruits, if a 3,4,5 star PAC 12 Level, Spokane, WA HS recruit player refuses to commit, sign, play at, for WSU. I only recruit, offer PAC 12 level, Spokane, WA, recruits in Spokane, WA, in addition to other recruits from other areas, regions, states, etc. If your not a pac 12 level recruit, you dont get offered. If you are a Pac 12 level 3,4,5 star Pac 12 level recruit from Spokane, Pullman, etc, and you dont commit, sign, play at WSU, then I am not going to recruit, offer a 1,2 star Whitworth level recruit, just because from Spokane.i am not going to waste time recruiting 4,5 stars from Spokane IF the answer is NO. So if you want me to recruit Spokane, WA, etc, PUT UP OR SHUT UP, COMMIT, PLAY AT WSU IF YOUR A 3,4,5 STAR PAC 12 LEVEL RECRUIT THAT IS FROM SPOKANE, WA, ETC. THATS MY CHALLENGE, THE GAUNTLET HAS BEEN THROWN."

If Highschool coaches, media, people, Tracy Ford, etc, are going to demand that WSU recruit Spokane, WA, more, better then they had better Put Up, or Shut Up, have the recruits commit, sign, play at WSU.

Rolo, WSU is DONE being the AWW SHUCKS ITS LITTLE OLE WSU. They are supposed to recruit, sign, play, etc, all the 1,2 star whitworth level, B8 level HS players. Thats WSU's place. The 5 star's like Julian in Spokane, or Pullman, in WSU's backyard are supposed to play for the UW Huskies, or Alabama, or USC, etc, while the B8, 1 star Whitworth players are supposed to play at little ole WSU.

Well F that, and F them. If you want WSU, Rolo to recruit Spokane, Pullman, WA, etc, they had better darn well as a 3,4,5 star commit to, sign with, play at WSU, or its not worth WSU's time to recruit Spokane, Pullman, WA, etc, and that time is better spent recruiting 3,4,5 stars, etc, from CA, scouring everywhere.

Put the ball in their corner. Either they put up, or they shut up about WSU not recruiting Spokane, Pullman, WA, etc, enough.

Last edited:
Leach had many good assistants. Many were hired away. The last couple of years his staff was weaker in the recruiting area than it had been since year 1. The results showed. I have hope that Rolo year 1 will be pretty good. At least I see effort, which is a big improvement over last year.

Leach had many good assistants. Many were hired away. The last couple of years his staff was weaker in the recruiting area than it had been since year 1. The results showed. I have hope that Rolo year 1 will be pretty good. At least I see effort, which is a big improvement over last year.
Leach did have some outstanding recruiters that are now doing a great job for Oregon, Oklahoma, etc. The biggest disappointment on the last staff was Kendrick Shaver. He was supposed to be a very good recruiter who had recruited LA for Utah State. Unfortunately, he didn't do much at WSU.

Leach did have some outstanding recruiters that are now doing a great job for Oregon, Oklahoma, etc. The biggest disappointment on the last staff was Kendrick Shaver. He was supposed to be a very good recruiter who had recruited LA for Utah State. Unfortunately, he didn't do much at WSU.

Shaver was a disaster. Didn't recruit worth a lick and our safety play was poor. He's out of work for a reason.

Back to the people who are gushing about Rolo's improved recruiting, it's worth noting we are behind the pace of the past three years. Might be trailing the entire Leach tenure but I haven't checked.

Responding to several of you. It will be very interesting to see how this year's massive social disruption plays out from a recruiting perspective. There is every likelihood that there will be no football this fall; unless we have a vaccine by then it won't happen. Now, a vaccine is possible. I think September/October is a realistic vaccine date given the resources and number of countries working on it. But if we assume for a moment that we have no football this season, or even a severely abbreviated season, that means that most of the recruiting will have to be based on HS junior seasons. That is how the early recruiting normally happens, but about half way through the fall season the late bloomers are starting to show themselves, and kids who did not improve from a great junior season are also starting to lose their luster. That won't happen this year. Growth in height, weight, speed, vertical and lifting can be tracked, but not actual play on the field. I could see real restrictions on plane travel, as well, so just to visit a kid for a face to face visit may have to be mostly by automobile. For staff in Pullman that means multi-week road trips. It also further argues in favor of more kids staying local and more hidden gems than have been the case in the social media era.

Responding to several of you. It will be very interesting to see how this year's massive social disruption plays out from a recruiting perspective. There is every likelihood that there will be no football this fall; unless we have a vaccine by then it won't happen. Now, a vaccine is possible. I think September/October is a realistic vaccine date given the resources and number of countries working on it. But if we assume for a moment that we have no football this season, or even a severely abbreviated season, that means that most of the recruiting will have to be based on HS junior seasons. That is how the early recruiting normally happens, but about half way through the fall season the late bloomers are starting to show themselves, and kids who did not improve from a great junior season are also starting to lose their luster. That won't happen this year. Growth in height, weight, speed, vertical and lifting can be tracked, but not actual play on the field. I could see real restrictions on plane travel, as well, so just to visit a kid for a face to face visit may have to be mostly by automobile. For staff in Pullman that means multi-week road trips. It also further argues in favor of more kids staying local and more hidden gems than have been the case in the social media era.

Legit BCS kids have already shown enough before their senior year. Not to say there aren't a lot of guys out there could use a big senior year to boost their stock... I don't see many kids coming out of nowhere and now they're 3, 4, 5 star guys. BCS dna shows up early and dominates often. They've already been named All League or All State.

Also, don't be surprised to see a lot of showcase events too. Combines, 7 on 7, something, anything for kids to showcase themselves in all sports. There will be someone looking to make some big money off of this. You may see WSU's staff flying all over the West Coast attending events just to see kids in action. Granted, there likely won't be any hitting. Which sucks. But under the circumstances this is prob the best outcome for kids.

Could actually be a great thing for small school players. They wouldn't normally get their shot to line up against the big school kids. Now they'll be standing next to them, running with them, being tested and competing against them in 7 on 7's.

It really is an unfortunate way for kids to end their HS football careers. I think you will see a lot of guys wind up at JUCOS trying to create more opps for themselves. Anyone with means is gonna walk on and see what they can do.

Will the anti-vaxer loonies spurn the vaccine and maintain a human virus bank to keep the virus going in the background?

Will the anti-vaxer loonies spurn the vaccine and maintain a human virus bank to keep the virus going in the background?[/QUOTE
Anti-vaxxers are one possible problem but it doesn’t take a 100% vaccination rate to develop a pretty solid herd immunity. Most likely 85 or 90 percent would do. I think the bigger problem with respect to the football season is the logistics of getting 350 million doses made, distributed and administered. That will take several months, I imagine.

Will the anti-vaxer loonies spurn the vaccine and maintain a human virus bank to keep the virus going in the background?
I messed up that reply up somehow. I’ll try again.

Anti-vaxxers are one possible problem but it doesn’t take a 100% vaccination rate to develop a pretty solid herd immunity. Most likely 85 or 90 percent would do. I think the bigger problem with respect to the football season is the logistics of getting 350 million doses made, distributed and administered. That will take several months, I imagine.

"Eastside Catholic train gang" gets new meaning after the Seattle Times and King5 ongoing stories...

"Eastside Catholic train gang" gets new meaning after the Seattle Times and King5 ongoing stories...

Yes, I was referring to this specific rumor which has been floating around the internet for a while though. Didn't want to get too specific until more details became public. Fortunately the trio of Kennedy Catholic WR's weren't tied to this. But I would be disappointed if we take a single kid from Eastside for the time being.

stacked against them.

Already Rolo has 1, 4 star. And he will probably land McCarron another 4 star.

And if he lands Junior Alexander WR(WSU in top 6), that would be a 3rd 4 star.

There is a possibility that Rolo could easily have 4, 4 stars in a single, this years class.

Thats awesome recruiting, and might probably be the best recruiting at WSU in a LONG time.

That is certainly not struggling

Yes, I was referring to this specific rumor which has been floating around the internet for a while though. Didn't want to get too specific until more details became public. Fortunately the trio of Kennedy Catholic WR's weren't tied to this. But I would be disappointed if we take a single kid from Eastside for the time being.
Can't wait for the articles from Brand X & Brand Y on the "EC videographer" putting WSU in his "Top 6" now that his recruitment has reopened.

I wouldn't paint every kid with the same brush. However, I would do an extreme background check on every player that WSU does recruit from there.

Reactions: mikalalas
Can't wait for the articles from Brand X & Brand Y on the "EC videographer" putting WSU in his "Top 6" now that his recruitment has reopened.

Junior Alexander is from Kennedy Catholic, in Burien, and not from Eastside Catholic.

Junior Alexander that has WSU in his top 6, is NOT the EC(Eastside Catholic) Videographer(Whatever that is about(Assume its not good, and very bad)

Junior Alexander and Tinua something(Dont know the spelling) are 2, 4 star WR's from Kennedy Catholic, who have gone on unofficial visits to WSU, and both have WSU in their Top 6 list, and ok chance that WSU gets 1 of them, and small chance that WSU get both of them.

Junior Alexander is from Kennedy Catholic, in Burien, and not from Eastside Catholic.

Junior Alexander that has WSU in his top 6, is NOT the EC(Eastside Catholic) Videographer(Whatever that is about(Assume its not good, and very bad)

Junior Alexander and Tinua something(Dont know the spelling) are 2, 4 star WR's from Kennedy Catholic, who have gone on unofficial visits to WSU, and both have WSU in their Top 6 list, and ok chance that WSU gets 1 of them, and small chance that WSU get both of them.

Also both Alexander and Tinua LOVED their unofficial visits to WSU and with Rolo's Staff.

And WSU was the last, only college they got to visit, before the Corona hit.

So there is a semi ok, semi good chance that at least 1 of the 2 will commit to, sign with, play at WSU.

Junior Alexander that has WSU in his top 6,
is NOT the EC(Eastside Catholic) Videographer(Whatever that is about(Assume its not good, and very bad)
Yeah, it is not very good.

I’ve had a similar opinion about football this fall. But Kirk Schulz was on a webcast yesterday and basically said that they have to figure out a way to play. It represents too much money to most institutions to let it go. Teams and conferences are all working together to figure out how.
I think this will be all about testing too. The rapid tests need to be available, and every player and coach has to be tested weekly. Then they can play and practice. Not sure there’s a way to get fans in the stands (fever checks before entry?) but that gets players on the field.

antibody tests are rolling out now from private companies that are approved. They will be able to be testing fairly soon.

antibody tests are rolling out now from private companies that are approved. They will be able to be testing fairly soon.
I think antibody tests are the best hope for getting fans in the stands this fall. If the tests are widely available and more importantly accurate, they could come up with a system where people who test positive for the antibodies are issued a certificate. You would have to show a certificate to get in the door. Crowds would be small though - there likely won’t be a very high percentage of the population testing positive by fall.

Seat everyone 6 feet apart. Crank the prices. Have the peanut vendors throw them to you like the guy at the Kingdome. Mandatory 10 beer purchase.

I think antibody tests are the best hope for getting fans in the stands this fall. If the tests are widely available and more importantly accurate, they could come up with a system where people who test positive for the antibodies are issued a certificate. You would have to show a certificate to get in the door. Crowds would be small though - there likely won’t be a very high percentage of the population testing positive by fall.
Yeah, but some of the recent studies have shown that even those who recover don't maintain antibodies for long, and re-infection is therefore possible. So the antibody tests might have minimal utility.

Besides, the idea of having to present your papers at the gate raises some very cringe-worthy images. Really don't like the idea of setting foot on that particular slope.

McCarron had two analysts crystal ball him to Virginia. So much for that one.

Just because 2 Analyst, PUNDITS, Crystal Ball him to Virginia(AKA PREDICTING), does not mean that he is or is not going to Virginia.

That is what THEY think.

And they probably dont know what they are talking about.

And they probably dont know the details that I posted about how McCarron said and family friends coaches, players, etc, said that he is a WSU FAN that LOVED his visit.

McCarron might go to UW, Cal, BSU, etc, BUT NO WAY IS HE GOING TO VIRGINIA.

His parents went to WSU. His sister goes to WSU He and his family BLEED Crimson and Gray.

And again that is not FLUFF.

Those Analyst are HOMERS for Virginia.

Also in light of Corona, why would the kid go ALL THE LONG WAY ABOUT 1750 MILES accross the country, away from his family, given the above, to goto Virginia.

It would be TOTALLY COMPLETELY ILLOGICAL for McCarron to goto Virginia over especially WSU, and if not WSU, UW, Cal, BSU, etc.

I'll believe McCarron is going to Virginia if I see it, until if then, its not happening.

I'll eat my words if he goes to Virginia.

Those Analyst are HOMERS.

And if you believe them, I have a bridge to sell you.

Just because 2 Analyst, PUNDITS, Crystal Ball him to Virginia(AKA PREDICTING), does not mean that he is or is not going to Virginia.
Are you implying they don’t have a crystal ball that tells them where recruits will commit to—they’re just lousy predictions?

I'll take Brandon Huffman's opinion on recruiting over yours Mik. He's talked with hundreds of high school kids a year for over a decade. He's also neutral in this. His professional credibility takes a hit when he's wrong. It's different if a fan site making the predictions. If after a talking with a recruit, he gets the feeling he's headed out of state, you have to take that seriously. Might not pan out, but it's the likely scenario. How many recruits have you talked to over the years?

Why would it be illogical for McCarron to go to Virginia? Did you even look at his list? Boise St, Cal, Northwestern, VA, and VA Tech. That list tells me the kid is concerned about academics and is open to leaving the PNW. Seems entirely logical for a kid to head to a prestigious University on the east coast if that's what he wants to do.

I realize I've long been an advocate for not wasting our time an energy sucking up to in state recruits. We simply don't win many competitive recruiting battles in state. Coaches in the state actively steer kids away from WSU. They push UW first, most other P5 programs, then maybe WSU if Boise St isn't a better fit. Maybe we beat out Oregon St or Arizona for a local kid, but it's rare to end up with someone getting serious interest from a decent out of state program.

Maybe Rolo will be able to change this with time. Or maybe Rolo will tell coaches to stop trying to sell him on Big Sky talent and start steering D1 guys toward Pullman or he'll stop answering their calls. Either way, WA has 10 4 star prospects this year and we are the favorite for absolutely zero of them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT