ADVERTISEMENT

Im going to have to mute these espn announcers

cougarhawk1

Team Captain
Aug 31, 2019
unlistenable, any reason why we get these 5th string losers to call the game ? I know its the late game and loses east coast viewers but good gawd they are bad.

Reactions: GrayOnGray
ESPN has the worst CFB announcers around. It's been that way for quite a few years now.
The cord cutting trend had them hemorrhaging money. They cut a ton of talent in the last 5 years in response. I hope they whither and die. College football would much better off if they ceased to exist. It's the only major sport they can control due to no legit playoff.

Reactions: KingTrump
Yeah, I don't want to be accused of misogyny, but I hate these Beth Mowins games. Her voice is grating. If a guy sounded like that, I'd say it was annoying as well.
She has a degree from Syracuse - and Syracuse grads get broadcast gigs for each other.

Jessica Mendoza does color on the Sunday Night baseball broadcast and her voice isn't bad.

Mike Curto the Tacoma Rainiers play by play guy is fantastic - but unfortunately he has a too nasal voice for the casual listener to handle and he went to Cal (and not Syracuse). So no MLB gig.

they are fine to me. Infinitely better than Chad Brown and everybody on the p12 network sans Yogi Roth.

Reactions: HHusky
Yeah, I don't want to be accused of misogyny, but I hate these Beth Mowins games. Her voice is grating. If a guy sounded like that, I'd say it was annoying as well.

If given the chance to drag my balls through 10 miles of broken glass or listen to Beth Mowins call another game I would go with the torn up testicles.

Last edited:
there are facebook pages dedicated to getting her fired as well as online petitions, many by sec fans. Common complaints I read were shes trying to sound like a man or a truckdriver-I cant argue with that.

I'm sure she does a bang-up job with women's softball.
She should stick to that.

My daughter, and even wife impersonated Ms. Mowins after every-time she said "Y-A-R-D-S"!
My bad for starting it, saying Ms. Mowins is notorious, (almost famous) for saying "Y-A-R-D-S". I think Softy on KJR frequently impersonates, as well.
What's interesting is her Wikipedia page notes that she one of the most successful female play by play announcers in the history of women broadcasters.

Maybe the executives at ESPN keep her on the payroll to fulfill a political checkbox regarding employer equality to avoid discrimination charges?

My daughter, and even wife impersonated Ms. Mowins after every-time she said "Y-A-R-D-S"!
My bad for starting it, saying Ms. Mowins is notorious, (almost famous) for saying "Y-A-R-D-S". I think Softy on KJR frequently impersonates, as well.
What's interesting is her Wikipedia page notes that she one of the most successful female play by play announcers in the history of women broadcasters.

Maybe the executives at ESPN keep her on the payroll to fulfill a political checkbox regarding employer equality to avoid discrimination charges?

She called Travell Harris 3 different first names throughout the course of the game. She is/was/always will be AWFUL!

Reactions: KingTrump
While I do not care for this team, I have to give them an ounce of sympathy. How do you call a tire fire game like that? What in the heck would you say? Like the players who panicked and tried to do too much, Mowins in particular seemed to feel the need to repeat things endlessly in an effort to fill every second of air space. Her head coach needs to sit her down and see if she can learn from this...though that would assume that she has a head coach who knows anything, or even pays any attention to what she is doing.

I don’t get the hate. She’s much better than what the Pac12 Network typically serves up.

Reactions: Cougzz
I don’t get the hate. She’s much better than what the Pac12 Network typically serves up.

You probably have nerve deafness or some other condition that fortuitously saves your eardrums from bleeding after all of the repetitive screeching. To be fair, too, the screeching was less tolerable when it pertained to the monumental nature of the UCLA comeback. It both got louder and was more annoying and painful for other reasons.

You probably have nerve deafness or some other condition that fortuitously saves your eardrums from bleeding after all of the repetitive screeching. To be fair, too, the screeching was less tolerable when it pertained to the monumental nature of the UCLA comeback. It both got louder and was more annoying and painful for other reasons.
My youngest daughter is the athlete, game companion and sports fan that my son is not. I’m simply not annoyed by a female voice at a sporting event.

My youngest daughter is the athlete, game companion and sports fan that my son is not. I’m simply not annoyed by a female voice at a sporting event.

Nor am I when it isn't painful to listen to. She is brutal.

It isn't that most are simply annoyed by "a female voice at a sporting event'. It's that screech owl voice. For example, I like Jessamyn McIntyre's voice on the cougar radio broadcasts.

Maybe I have lived too long, but it is not the kind of voice I want to listen when watching a football game. I had to listen to her a couple of times last year when watching BIG TEN games. It was awful. If you say she is better than most Pac12 announcers, than I feel sorry for Pac12 listeners. Therefore as a gesture of good will, I insist that you contact ESPN and have her permanently assigned to west coast games.

Reactions: ATACFD

I prefaced my original comment by hoping I wouldn't be accused of misogyny. I don't have a problem with Jessamyn McIntyre on the radio side, Jessica Mendoza on baseball broadcasts, or any other female announcers on men's sports (which, admittedly, are rare). Mowins' voice is just awful to listen to, even if we leave aside the repetition, the inappropriate yelling and odd enunciation of various sounds, and her frequent misstatements, the latter of which is a hallmark of any broadcaster, male or female, handling a WSU game.

We get it -- you want to make out anyone who doesn't like this announcer into some kind of woman-hater. That's not it, though. There are plenty of male announcers who are annoying and rightly get roasted on here. In Mowins' case, it seems likely that no matter how bad the feedback is, she is kept around due to PC dimwits and the specter of liability or, at minimum, a few days of getting roasted on Twitter before the warriors move on to the next outrage.

I prefaced my original comment by hoping I wouldn't be accused of misogyny. I don't have a problem with Jessamyn McIntyre on the radio side, Jessica Mendoza on baseball broadcasts, or any other female announcers on men's sports (which, admittedly, are rare). Mowins' voice is just awful to listen to, even if we leave aside the repetition, the inappropriate yelling and odd enunciation of various sounds, and her frequent misstatements, the latter of which is a hallmark of any broadcaster, male or female, handling a WSU game.

We get it -- you want to make out anyone who doesn't like this announcer into some kind of woman-hater. That's not it, though. There are plenty of male announcers who are annoying and rightly get roasted on here. In Mowins' case, it seems likely that no matter how bad the feedback is, she is kept around due to PC dimwits and the specter of liability or, at minimum, a few days of getting roasted on Twitter before the warriors move on to the next outrage.
As I said in my edit, I just don’t see men getting judged for their voices. And many have objectively lousy voices.

There are just a lot of men who cannot hear a strong voice from a woman without hearing their third grade teacher or some stern nun they encountered.

As I said in my edit, I just don’t see men getting judged for their voices. And many have objectively lousy voices.

There are just a lot of men who cannot hear a strong voice from a woman without hearing their third grade teacher or some stern nun they encountered.

I get it, but her voice really is shrill and grating. It's not about mommy yelling at me, the nun hitting my fingers with a ruler, or whatever other purported traumas someone wants to pull into this, seemingly taken from a few Twitter comments by some knuckle-draggers who likely went that direction in an attempt at citing something they believed people could relate to for (attempted) comedic effect

Her voice just sucks, at the level of hurting my ears unless I turned it way down. Again, I have no issues with many other female voices, so it's not about gender. Some male announcers have been pilloried for having annoying voices. I can't recall any that have been literally painful to listen to like hers, but to take a few examples, not everyone is into Gus Johnson yelling about everything (although some like it), half the world hates Bill Walton and half thinks he's awesome (in part owing to his annoying voice and in part owing to his weird approach), and to take a WSU-focused example, Bud Nameck sucked when doing play by play a few years ago--largely due to his voice--and got canned. A couple other that come to mind are Hawk Harrelson or Dave Sims in baseball.

Weird thing for me to go to the mat on, but it pisses me off when people are immune to criticism because to do so is to cross some kind of PC line, especially when that crosses into pseudopsychology.

So........These two lawyers walk into a bar..........

I think male broadcasters are pretty uniformly critiqued for substance above all, regardless of their voices. Hell, Dori Monson has a career as a broadcaster. Does anyone have a worse voice than he does?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2017/09/18/sports/nfl-beth-mowins-julie-dicaro.amp.html

It’s not unique to broadcasting. I’ve known many female lawyers whose voices seem to aggravate (mostly) their male opponents. I gotta say, a male lawyer never gets that criticism. And we are an aggravating bunch, without uniformly pleasing voices.
Dear Mr White Knight—

You’re missing the point entirely. It’s not about the fact that she’s a token political hire.

It’s about the fact that she’s bad at what she does. She confused Borghi with Gordon, called Travell “Travann”, says things like “WHAT UP MAHOMES,” pronounces Arvada “Are-VAY-duh”... she’s just bad.

Magoo couldn’t do worse on Percs and a bottle of Jack in his Alzheimer years

......It’s not unique to broadcasting. I’ve known many female lawyers whose voices seem to aggravate (mostly) their male opponents. I gotta say, a male lawyer never gets that criticism. And we are an aggravating bunch, without uniformly pleasing voices.

......There are just a lot of men who cannot hear a strong voice from a woman without hearing their third grade teacher or some stern nun they encountered.

Well it's clear you have an agenda to make this an issue of sexism and nothing anyone says here will dissuade you from that. I and several others have brought up several women we like as announcers. But that is conveniently ignored.
Could the simple explanation be that we don't like lawn mower Mowins because she just isn't very good?

I come from a family of strong, smart, vocal women. I don't have a problem with that. My sister is a full professor in physics. Talk about a male dominated field!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 425cougfan
I get it, but her voice really is shrill and grating. It's not about mommy yelling at me, the nun hitting my fingers with a ruler, or whatever other purported traumas someone wants to pull into this, seemingly taken from a few Twitter comments by some knuckle-draggers who likely went that direction in an attempt at citing something they believed people could relate to for (attempted) comedic effect

Her voice just sucks, at the level of hurting my ears unless I turned it way down. Again, I have no issues with many other female voices, so it's not about gender. Some male announcers have been pilloried for having annoying voices. I can't recall any that have been literally painful to listen to like hers, but to take a few examples, not everyone is into Gus Johnson yelling about everything (although some like it), half the world hates Bill Walton and half thinks he's awesome (in part owing to his annoying voice and in part owing to his weird approach), and to take a WSU-focused example, Bud Nameck sucked when doing play by play a few years ago--largely due to his voice--and got canned. A couple other that come to mind are Hawk Harrelson or Dave Sims in baseball.

Weird thing for me to go to the mat on, but it pisses me off when people are immune to criticism because to do so is to cross some kind of PC line, especially when that crosses into pseudopsychology.
Hh is an attorney. Of course he's going to spin it into something it isn't. It's what his profession does. Oh well...

I am paralyzingly annoyed by it. Not because it’s a woman’s voice, but because in 99% of my personal experiences, women don’t “care” about sports to the level of men. When women are invited to a viewing party, the environment changes. I’m white knuckling the outcome and on the edge of my seat, and she’s smiling and laughing and reminding me that “it’s just a game.”

That’s actually a compliment to women socially, but knowing they don’t care about the outcome to the level I do makes it a deal breaker.

Last edited:
I like Kris Budden's pleasant voice - she doesn't do play by play but I bet she could
MND_KrisBudden_0818_Hero.jpg

Last edited:
yes a pleasant female voice would be fine, a woman trying her hardest to sound like a dude, not so much

that's what husky is all about liberal pc gender bullcrap-i don't want to hear it-she sucks

Last edited:
Reactions: mister noon
Dear Mr White Knight—

You’re missing the point entirely. It’s not about the fact that she’s a token political hire.

It’s about the fact that she’s bad at what she does. She confused Borghi with Gordon, called Travell “Travann”, says things like “WHAT UP MAHOMES,” pronounces Arvada “Are-VAY-duh”... she’s just bad.

Magoo couldn’t do worse on Percs and a bottle of Jack in his Alzheimer years
^^^^^this.

She's a discount Mary Carillo/ Doris Burke. Except not talented.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT