ADVERTISEMENT

In the next 4 years

I’ve saw a lot white liberal women parroting a bigot, anti-semite Louis Farrakhan this summer because of his approach to racial social justice. We have Cuomo and De Blasio targeting the Jewish community.

Is antisemitism cool?

I'm not sure why you think, I would think antisemitism is cool? Unfortunately Jewish folks, kind of get hammered all around. I condemn any hate speech including that coming from the left. If I saw some prominent GOP'ers saying something like that, perhaps I'd be willing to consider some of their candidates again.

My greater point, Yes some folks on the left can do and say some repulsive crap, however the GOP actively courts the Bigots and Q idiots. When all the chips are on the table and some policy ideas on the left I agree with and some policy ideas on the right I agree with, I look around the room and see who is supporting who, and when I see the Bigots and Q idiots embraced and courted by one party that's my tie breaker, move away from them.

This year was my 1st time voting for a Democrat for president;

2000-Baby Bush
2004-Sat this one Out
2008-McCain
2012-Liberatarian
2016-Liberatarian
2020-Biden

this was also my 1st election voting a straight ticket for one party, why because of a lot of factors, but in the end, keeping it simple look around the room and see who is backing who; take a step back and say to myself do I want to be aligned with those people, and for me its a hard no. The left ain't perfect, not by a long shot, but they ain't the party of the bigots and the Q idiots. Maybe you see it differently and that's fine, but that is how it stands out for me.

I’ve saw a lot white liberal women parroting a bigot, anti-semite Louis Farrakhan this summer because of his approach to racial social justice. We have Cuomo and De Blasio targeting the Jewish community.

Is antisemitism cool?
Not all black people are left wing as you clumsily assume. Case in point -- Farrakhan is a right wing religious fanatic, thus ultra conservative. He is everything that liberals despise. He and his religion hates white people, they are the devil. In his world women are subservient. He wants the Koran to be the law of a segregated black home land, much like white militia groups and the late Richard Butler, on Aryan Nations fame, but in reverse. They are further right than fascists, on the spectrum, because they demand that Imams/religious leader control the state.

I'm not sure why you think, I would think antisemitism is cool? Unfortunately Jewish folks, kind of get hammered all around. I condemn any hate speech including that coming from the left. If I saw some prominent GOP'ers saying something like that, perhaps I'd be willing to consider some of their candidates again.

My greater point, Yes some folks on the left can do and say some repulsive crap, however the GOP actively courts the Bigots and Q idiots. When all the chips are on the table and some policy ideas on the left I agree with and some policy ideas on the right I agree with, I look around the room and see who is supporting who, and when I see the Bigots and Q idiots embraced and courted by one party that's my tie breaker, move away from them.

2000-Baby Bush
2004-Sat this one Out
2008-McCain
2012-Liberatarian
2016-Liberatarian
2020-Biden

this was also my 1st election voting a straight ticket for one party, why because of a lot of factors, but in the end, keeping it simple look around the room and see who is backing who; take a step back and say to myself do I want to be aligned with those people, and for me its a hard no. The left ain't perfect, not by a long shot, but they ain't the party of the bigots and the Q idiots. Maybe you see it differently and that's fine, but that is how it stands out for me.

I agree with you on everything you've said before and now. Growing up and still feel conservative in a lot ways, but the Alex Jones and QAnon of the worlds makes it really hard for me to identify with that party because they're bat sh*t crazy and I have nothing in common with them.

2000-Baby Bush
2004-Sat this one Out
2008-McCain
2012-Liberatarian
2016-Liberatarian
2020-Biden

I really have a hard time that so many people believe Q Anon, including now people in the US House of Representatives. That is an embarrassment.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Not all black people are left wing as you clumsily assume. Case in point -- Farrakhan is a right wing religious fanatic, thus ultra conservative. He is everything that liberals despise. He and his religion hates white people, they are the devil. In his world women are subservient. He wants the Koran to be the law of a segregated black home land, much like white militia groups and the late Richard Butler, on Aryan Nations fame, but in reverse. They are further right than fascists, on the spectrum, because they demand that Imams/religious leader control the state.

I don't think I assumed all black were left wing, I don't think I was implying that, nor was I trying to. Louis Farrakhan spoke at the black caucus in 2005 and there's a photo of him with our former President, but I never said he was liberal or anything, I was looking at him for his anti-sematic beliefs and that we had White Hollywood Women sharing his speaking's and saying how inspiring he is, while completely ignoring what he truly stood for. It just seemed hypocritical to me.

(Hi there, SD.) The interesting aspect of the election in Georgia concerns the two senate races. If the GOP wins both and my math is correct then they will have the numbers in the senate to forestall any extreme legislation coming out of the White House. Remember that Sanders and Warren have apparently been promised cabinet positions in a Biden administration.

Complicating all this is the Georgia voting law that requires a winner to lead in the vote and have over 50% of the ballots cast. As I am typing this no one has reached the 50% threshold. Georgia will have to jettison the minor parties and rerun the elections with Republicans versus Democrats. We may not know the true political dominance in D.C. for several months. Will the Republicans in the senate be in a position to apply the brakes on a Biden administration or will he and his advisors be free to do whatever they want, as Obama did in his first two years?

I am assuming that Biden wins the presidency. The outcome in the senate is more important to me than the number of electoral votes he achieves.

The gop will automatically win 1 Senate seat in Georgia. The one for sure run-off is between two republicans. Ossof is behind but Perdue s now below 50% so that would require a run-off as well as you pointed out. Plus in Alaska the independent/dems there is tweeting confidence about a win with 44% of the vote still outstanding. They don't release the rest of the totals until the 10th. He's currently training by 31 points so not sure what he knows but the polling before showed it very close, so who knows.

However, I think there is zero chance Sanders or Warren get plucked from the Senate. Massachusetts has a rep governor who can appoint a replacement. I just don't see dems messing with the margins being so tight. Taihtsat

Reactions: 425cougfan
I agree with you on everything you've said before and now. Growing up and still feel conservative in a lot ways, but the Alex Jones and QAnon of the worlds makes it really hard for me to identify with that party because they're bat sh*t crazy and I have nothing in common with them.

Exactly, I'm for states rights, I wouldn't say I'm fiscally conservative by a strict definition, but I think being fiscally responsible is how I like to put it. And you are right Jones and Q's don't deal in any form of reality, i do think they truly believe their crap, but its so devoid of any factual evidence outside of drawing conclusions by making mental leaps, its insane. And then you add Donald Trump to the fire, he is the Jim Jones of this current era, and I have no doubt when he tells his followers to drink the kool-aid, they will. Its sad.

I really have a hard time that so many people believe Q Anon, including now people in the US House of Representatives. That is an embarrassment.
you are 100% correct, i think we now have two in the house. Are they looking at their peers waiting for them to shed their skin and expose their lizard selves and eat a child?

I'll give you a vision of the future, with which perhaps none of you will agree. It will take 5 minutes to read, so skip it if you are ADD.

The current state of election lying and hate/tribal mongering has turned many a stomach, including my own. There are a lot of people from both parties who are not only tired of that, but also tired of the extreme portions of each party controlling their party's agenda. It is looking like Israeli politics. I think there is a desire for a positive change. Here is one example of how I think that will take place within my lifetime (I am early 60's). And while it may not start in California, California will be a prime driver in the change.

The Republican party in CA has been winning stupid awards for 30 years on the immigration issue. Other issues, as well, but immigration is their poster child for dumb. CA's economy desperately needs a guest worker program for several key industries...just to name a few: grape, fruit, nut and veggie picking; meat processing; ranching; dairy; service industries of many types; and portions of residential construction. Every one of those industries is controlled by the more conservative block of the state. So the state party's insistence on demonizing illegal immigrants has hurt the Republicans here not only with those who could be expected to sympathize with the immigrants themselves; it has also hurt the Republicans with a good chunk of the business owners. I could go into more detail, but I think I've made that point. Just based on those I know, I'd hazard a guess that maybe 2/3 of the independents here are folks that have left the Republican party due at least in part to these positions.

As several of you have noted above, there is no such thing as a monolithic voting block. The evangelicals are probably the closest to that, since their leadership all follow the same business model...but even with the evangelicals there are those who don't drink the same koolaid as the rest. The key blocks for change for the Republicans in CA will be the hispanics and the asians. The asians are already majority conservative by most counts. The hispanics have a huge conservative component...the failure of the Republicans to appeal to conservative Catholics and conservative hispanic Protestants (probably the fastest growing individual segment in CA, though it started small and is still no where near as big as the Catholic church) has been a leadership failure of epic proportions. What has changed is that there are now some hispanics and asians reaching leadership positions within the party, and the party's abject failure to win elections is finally having some effect. I expect someone in CA politics to start a bipartisan movement for immigration reform that will include a legitimate guest worker program...in some ways similar to what we had up through the 60's...and it will be truly bipartisan. The business owner group I cited above, as well as others, will support this from the Republican side. The Catholic and evangelical Protestant hispanic churches will support it. In all likelihood there will be either a hispanic or asian Republican leading that charge. Of course the liberal wing of the Democrats will have to support it; they really won't have a choice after the last 30 years of criticizing the Republicans here for being stupid about immigration. And the political center of both parties will see it as a path forward. I could go on, but I've made my point about what I expect to see over the next 5-10 years.

Once you remove the immigration obstacle, the biggest remaining social hot issue is probably the LGBTQ etc. issue. I can only report what I see, but from where I am sitting, the conservative position on this issue has softened considerably. Now that it is not as socially prohibitive to identify as being a part of that group (which, again, is not a political monolith), a lot of conservative families have learned that a family member is part of this group. That has had the expected result. We actually have some conservative LGBTQ politicians in SoCal, and I expect that to continue. That is important from an electoral standpoint for many reasons, but a few to consider are the elimination of yet another emotional club for the Democrats to use on the Republicans and the splintering of what was heretofore a reliably Democratic voting group.

To sum up: I see Republicans in CA making immigration a positive, pro-business and pro-human rights issue. And I see a general tendency to simply leave the LGBTQ issue alone...essentially live and let live, surprisingly in line with the current Pope's thoughts. That old saw about California leading the nation...regardless of whether CA is truly first...is going to happen. And with those issues out of the way, the traditional Republican issues...fiscal responsibility, a fair tax system, reasonably free trade, etc., will again become relevant items for people as they make their voting decisions. I foresee CA leading a path away from social issue politics, mostly because the center will have agreed to let go on a lot of the social issues, and the total failure of the Republican party here will cause even the zealots to look for a way to again be relevant.

I'm sure many if not most of you will disagree. But I have legitimate hope...really, more than just hope...that CA will head in that direction. Sooner rather than later.

I don't think I assumed all black were left wing, I don't think I was implying that, nor was I trying to. Louis Farrakhan spoke at the black caucus in 2005 and there's a photo of him with our former President, but I never said he was liberal or anything, I was looking at him for his anti-sematic beliefs and that we had White Hollywood Women sharing his speaking's and saying how inspiring he is, while completely ignoring what he truly stood for. It just seemed hypocritical to me.
Don't fall for the trap that has been laid out - anything that the left doesn't like or that isn't convenient for their political agenda is labeled as "far right fascist". Farrakhan and NOI aren't politically expedient right now, so they are on time out, but the time will come when the Al Sharpton/ Farrakahn/ et al parade will be used as a political tool again.

The problem is Trump probably more destructive and disruptive put of the White House

Agree 100%. He will not (nor will the cult of trumpism) go away, probably for several presidential election cycles - If ever.

You will have those next in line (Rubio, cotton, haley) courting his followers, and if he isn't being crushed under pending investigations from the SDNY and the Manhattan DA, plus the 4 million in debt due with the next 3 yrs, trump can run again. The only hope then would be that the crazy fraction of that party would fracture it during the fight for the nomination and render it essentially powerless like what happened to the federalist party in 1800-04.

He will be in campaign mode once he's ousted from the WH. He'll be holding rallies all over the place so his folks can come worship him and he may go all in on a media outlet to compete with Fox.

I see Biden as a place holder simply to prevent more damage being done over the next 4 yrs. Taihtsat

Don't fall for the trap that has been laid out - anything that the left doesn't like or that isn't convenient for their political agenda is labeled as "far right fascist". Farrakhan and NOI aren't politically expedient right now, so they are on time out, but the time will come when the Al Sharpton/ Farrakahn/ et al parade will be used as a political tool again.
Didn't you just say this?:

"Can we shut this sh!t down, please? If I wanted this political bullshit I'd go back to facebook. Idgaf what you think or believe about Trump or Biden, so stfu and gimme a "go cougs".

As a matter of fact, it'd be great if this thread just got deleted. "

I mean this cuts both ways, the GOP hasn't said a word with the exception of maybe Paul Rand and Ben Sasse as Trump has exploded the the deficit, but I bet day one of a Biden presidency (assuming it continues down that path) the GOP will be bemoaning how we need to get spending under control, hell Ted Cruz already said that will happen in a recent AXIOS interview.

I'll give you a vision of the future, with which perhaps none of you will agree. It will take 5 minutes to read, so skip it if you are ADD.

The current state of election lying and hate/tribal mongering has turned many a stomach, including my own. There are a lot of people from both parties who are not only tired of that, but also tired of the extreme portions of each party controlling their party's agenda. It is looking like Israeli politics. I think there is a desire for a positive change. Here is one example of how I think that will take place within my lifetime (I am early 60's). And while it may not start in California, California will be a prime driver in the change.

The Republican party in CA has been winning stupid awards for 30 years on the immigration issue. Other issues, as well, but immigration is their poster child for dumb. CA's economy desperately needs a guest worker program for several key industries...just to name a few: grape, fruit, nut and veggie picking; meat processing; ranching; dairy; service industries of many types; and portions of residential construction. Every one of those industries is controlled by the more conservative block of the state. So the state party's insistence on demonizing illegal immigrants has hurt the Republicans here not only with those who could be expected to sympathize with the immigrants themselves; it has also hurt the Republicans with a good chunk of the business owners. I could go into more detail, but I think I've made that point. Just based on those I know, I'd hazard a guess that maybe 2/3 of the independents here are folks that have left the Republican party due at least in part to these positions.

As several of you have noted above, there is no such thing as a monolithic voting block. The evangelicals are probably the closest to that, since their leadership all follow the same business model...but even with the evangelicals there are those who don't drink the same koolaid as the rest. The key blocks for change for the Republicans in CA will be the hispanics and the asians. The asians are already majority conservative by most counts. The hispanics have a huge conservative component...the failure of the Republicans to appeal to conservative Catholics and conservative hispanic Protestants (probably the fastest growing individual segment in CA, though it started small and is still no where near as big as the Catholic church) has been a leadership failure of epic proportions. What has changed is that there are now some hispanics and asians reaching leadership positions within the party, and the party's abject failure to win elections is finally having some effect. I expect someone in CA politics to start a bipartisan movement for immigration reform that will include a legitimate guest worker program...in some ways similar to what we had up through the 60's...and it will be truly bipartisan. The business owner group I cited above, as well as others, will support this from the Republican side. The Catholic and evangelical Protestant hispanic churches will support it. In all likelihood there will be either a hispanic or asian Republican leading that charge. Of course the liberal wing of the Democrats will have to support it; they really won't have a choice after the last 30 years of criticizing the Republicans here for being stupid about immigration. And the political center of both parties will see it as a path forward. I could go on, but I've made my point about what I expect to see over the next 5-10 years.

Once you remove the immigration obstacle, the biggest remaining social hot issue is probably the LGBTQ etc. issue. I can only report what I see, but from where I am sitting, the conservative position on this issue has softened considerably. Now that it is not as socially prohibitive to identify as being a part of that group (which, again, is not a political monolith), a lot of conservative families have learned that a family member is part of this group. That has had the expected result. We actually have some conservative LGBTQ politicians in SoCal, and I expect that to continue. That is important from an electoral standpoint for many reasons, but a few to consider are the elimination of yet another emotional club for the Democrats to use on the Republicans and the splintering of what was heretofore a reliably Democratic voting group.

To sum up: I see Republicans in CA making immigration a positive, pro-business and pro-human rights issue. And I see a general tendency to simply leave the LGBTQ issue alone...essentially live and let live, surprisingly in line with the current Pope's thoughts. That old saw about California leading the nation...regardless of whether CA is truly first...is going to happen. And with those issues out of the way, the traditional Republican issues...fiscal responsibility, a fair tax system, reasonably free trade, etc., will again become relevant items for people as they make their voting decisions. I foresee CA leading a path away from social issue politics, mostly because the center will have agreed to let go on a lot of the social issues, and the total failure of the Republican party here will cause even the zealots to look for a way to again be relevant.

I'm sure many if not most of you will disagree. But I have legitimate hope...really, more than just hope...that CA will head in that direction. Sooner rather than later.

I think there is merit to what you are saying, I might differ and say if that sort of happens it may take a 3rd party, a "Middle Party" to break off from both sides and build a compromised platform.

Are you open to the possibility that a reasonable case can be made that exactly the same principles/tactics can be applied to the right as far as labels put on positions they don't agree with? You know, "straw-manning". Taihtsat

Didn't you just say this?:

"Can we shut this sh!t down, please? If I wanted this political bullshit I'd go back to facebook. Idgaf what you think or believe about Trump or Biden, so stfu and gimme a "go cougs".

As a matter of fact, it'd be great if this thread just got deleted. "
That thread. This is a tangental conversation.

Sorry for the hypocrisy.

I mean this cuts both ways, the GOP hasn't said a word with the exception of maybe Paul Rand and Ben Sasse as Trump has exploded the the deficit, but I bet day one of a Biden presidency (assuming it continues down that path) the GOP will be bemoaning how we need to get spending under control, hell Ted Cruz already said that will happen in a recent AXIOS interview.
Americans don't care about spending anymore - we live and a credit card society. I firmly believe that they honestly believe that either a) the magic money fairy comes along and pays for entitlements/ subsidies or B) they are somehow going to get Bezos/Zuckerberg/Gates/Musk to give up 25% of their personal and corporate profits.

That thread. This is a tangental conversation.

Sorry for the hypocrisy.
Ok...I'm in general agreement that politics on a sports board is a general no-no, but acknowledging that without any Cougar football to discuss per se, presidential elections are likely to make an appearance (along with other political topics). Just thought it strange you would get irritated about it in one thread and then jump in on another, but its been a weird few days so what the hell.

You've got some reading comprehension issues there. CougEd is blushing.

If you project your adherence to identity politics to others, who is making assumptions?

Reactions: 79COUG
Americans don't care about spending anymore - we live and a credit card society. I firmly believe that they honestly believe that either a) the magic money fairy comes along and pays for entitlements/ subsidies or B) they are somehow going to get Bezos/Zuckerberg/Gates/Musk to give up 25% of their personal and corporate profits.

It's the new economy. Quantitative easing, too big to fail, tax the "rich" who will then just move things offshore. Maybe we'll get negative interest rates soon?

You mean politicians will play politics. Gasp! I'm shocked, shocked I say!

To be fair, a global pandemic and economic collapse is a good reason to use the credit card. Neither side is truly explaining how it will be paid off.

Reactions: NMBRCRNCHR

AOC, Ilhan and old man Bernie make it difficult too.

Agree 100%. He will not (nor will the cult of trumpism) go away, probably for several presidential election cycles - If ever.

You will have those next in line (Rubio, cotton, haley) courting his followers, and if he isn't being crushed under pending investigations from the SDNY and the Manhattan DA, plus the 4 million in debt due with the next 3 yrs, trump can run again. The only hope then would be that the crazy fraction of that party would fracture it during the fight for the nomination and render it essentially powerless like what happened to the federalist party in 1800-04.

He will be in campaign mode once he's ousted from the WH. He'll be holding rallies all over the place so his folks can come worship him and he may go all in on a media outlet to compete with Fox.

I see Biden as a place holder simply to prevent more damage being done over the next 4 yrs. Taihtsat

What platform will Trump have to stand on? He'll be 78 in 2024 and not viable as a candidate at that age. Twitter has an interesting business decision ahead of it on whether it will keep blocking his account.

I would put the O/U on any Biden term as a placeholder at 1.5 years. He's two weeks away from turning 78.

I think there is merit to what you are saying, I might differ and say if that sort of happens it may take a 3rd party, a "Middle Party" to break off from both sides and build a compromised platform.

I've been thinking that for 10+ years. I can't come up with a spiffy name though. Something with "Nationalist" is the best I can come up with.

What platform will Trump have to stand on? He'll be 78 in 2024 and not viable as a candidate at that age. Twitter has an interesting business decision ahead of it on whether it will keep blocking his account.

I would put the O/U on any Biden term as a placeholder at 1.5 years. He's two weeks away from turning 78.

What platform is he running on now? Make/keep america great? Whatever that means. He being 78 wouldn't be a disqualifier demonstrated by Biden's current status. Taihtsat

I've been thinking that for 10+ years. I can't come up with a spiffy name though. Something with "Nationalist" is the best I can come up with.
Vented enough? Feeling better Dgi. I hope so! We are here for you, the angry man of this board, to vent your life frustrations on. If not, keep at it. Cougs don't abandon fellow Cougs when in need.

Go ahead, we are ready for some more scathing rebukes...,

Vented enough? Feeling better Dgi. I hope so! We are here for you, the angry man of this board, to vent your life frustrations on. If not, keep at it. Cougs don't abandon fellow Cougs when in need.

Go ahead, we are ready for some more scathing rebukes...,

Scathing? I'm not angry about anything. More projecting?

While QAnon is obviously a LARP, the Dennis Hastert, Jeffrey Epstein, Harvey Weinstein, and Theodore McCarrick stuff should let you know that folks in powerful positions are surprisingly comfortable turning a blind eye to appalling sexual abuse.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT