ADVERTISEMENT

Interior d-linemen...

YakiCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
Just as I previously posted, some of the d-line recruits Leach and staff have recruited are developing into gap pluggers. Hunter Mattox, a redshirt sophomore, is up to 286 pounds, which would be on track with Xavier Cooper's development under Leach. It's not clear if all the spring roster weights are updated, though.. Lyric Bartley and Nick Begg are still listed at 260, but Begg looks considerably heavier in a photo on the official website. At 6-5, he has the frame to go 290 or more. Ekuale is now at 297, and Tapa also is a bit heavier at 323, but appear trimmer, which is a good sign, especially for Tapa who will need to play much more (he definitely improved as the season progressed last year).
Beyond that, it's safe to assume the conditioning will only get better this summer (and here's hoping for a surprise transfer to come in!).

Last edited:
Reactions: bogusto
Well that's great news if that's true. Speed in the back 7 won't keep you from getting run over if the d-line isn't stout.

Just as I previously posted, some of the d-line recruits Leach and staff have recruited are developing into gap pluggers. Hunter Mattox, a redshirt sophomore, is up to 286 pounds, which would be on track with Xavier Cooper's development under Leach. It's not clear if all the spring roster weights are updated, though.. Lyric Bartley and Nick Begg are still listed at 260, but Begg looks considerably heavier in a photo on the official website. At 6-5, he has the frame to go 290 or more. Ekuale is now at 297, and Tapa also is a bit heavier at 323, but appear trimmer, which is a good sign, especially for Tapa who will need to play much more (he definitely improved as the season progressed last year).
Beyond that, it's safe to assume the conditioning will only get better this summer (and here's hoping for a surprise transfer to come in!).
Nice to hear there is hope on the interior. Enough beef there has been my biggest concern this offseason. Perhaps Phelps adding a touch more technique will make for sufficient progress to hold down the fort after losing Barber.

Stanford's version of a three man front made it work for several years without a starter who was even 290. My preference in a three man front is for the nose to be bigger than that, but guys in the 280's can be effective if they are hard to block. They give up a bit against the straight ahead run, but hold better potential as pass rushers. If you can make it work in a 3 man front with smaller guys, then it should be possible in a 4 man front as long as we don't end up too small at DT. Since we appear to be shifting to a four man front on all but third and long, and are almost always a four man front in the red zone, sub-290 pound guys have got to have pretty good technique; stay low; and stay active. But it can be done. I'd rather have a very good 285 pound DT than a 305 pound guy who is 50 pounds of spare tire.

I was hoping that Yaki's predictions would bear fruit, because at the end of the season, our DT's for next year looked to either be small (if athletic) or way too heavy to have four good steps for much of the game. I hope there is still some updating to do on the current roster weights. There is further updating needed by August.

Another thing to recognize is that you can't have smaller DT's and back them up with smaller LB's. Yes, the PAC is a speed conference. Yes, speed kills. Yes, you need speed. But small and speedy LB/safeties behind small DT's invites teams with a running game to come right at you. You can only play that "bend but don't break" game so long before you are trying so hard to stop the run that you leave yourself open to the pass.

If we have 4 solid DT's by August we will be OK, even if one is a bit slow but can push and another is on the lighter side but has good technique, can stay low when needed and is hard to block. At this point I think I can see 3 guys, so somebody will have to either emerge from the group or (as was hinted above) a transfer arrives. This is clearly our biggest concern on D.

Stanford's version of a three man front made it work for several years without a starter who was even 290. My preference in a three man front is for the nose to be bigger than that, but guys in the 280's can be effective if they are hard to block. They give up a bit against the straight ahead run, but hold better potential as pass rushers. If you can make it work in a 3 man front with smaller guys, then it should be possible in a 4 man front as long as we don't end up too small at DT. Since we appear to be shifting to a four man front on all but third and long, and are almost always a four man front in the red zone, sub-290 pound guys have got to have pretty good technique; stay low; and stay active. But it can be done. I'd rather have a very good 285 pound DT than a 305 pound guy who is 50 pounds of spare tire.

I was hoping that Yaki's predictions would bear fruit, because at the end of the season, our DT's for next year looked to either be small (if athletic) or way too heavy to have four good steps for much of the game. I hope there is still some updating to do on the current roster weights. There is further updating needed by August.

Another thing to recognize is that you can't have smaller DT's and back them up with smaller LB's. Yes, the PAC is a speed conference. Yes, speed kills. Yes, you need speed. But small and speedy LB/safeties behind small DT's invites teams with a running game to come right at you. You can only play that "bend but don't break" game so long before you are trying so hard to stop the run that you leave yourself open to the pass.

If we have 4 solid DT's by August we will be OK, even if one is a bit slow but can push and another is on the lighter side but has good technique, can stay low when needed and is hard to block. At this point I think I can see 3 guys, so somebody will have to either emerge from the group or (as was hinted above) a transfer arrives. This is clearly our biggest concern on D.

Someone (someones would be even better) needs to emerge behind Ekuale, Tapa and McBroom. Mattox now looks to have the size, but has not played a meaningful snap. Fernandez has gotten lighter, so it won't be him. Let's see what happens with Bartley.

Someone (someones would be even better) needs to emerge behind Ekuale, Tapa and McBroom. Mattox now looks to have the size, but has not played a meaningful snap. Fernandez has gotten lighter, so it won't be him. Let's see what happens with Bartley.

Begg was a 3-star recruit and rated among the top 90 d-ends nationally coming out of high school. He originally signed with ASU. He's got a good frame. With late spring and summer lifting still ahead, he definitely could move inside.

According to Grinch, the speed defense doesn't need size up front. I'm not worried. :eek:

Of course you're being facetious, but Grinch's point is that you don't need 350 pounders in the middle to play successful defense in the Pac-12. Conference offenses have changed a bit since 1997.

I know, and I've felt that way for years. How many smash mouth running teams to we face each season? With that said, our natural rival will run trap plays for multiple TDs if we're not competent up front. We also have an improved SC program and Stanford to contend with. Those will be long games if we can't hold our own in the trenches.

Of course you're being facetious, but Grinch's point is that you don't need 350 pounders in the middle to play successful defense in the Pac-12. Conference offenses have changed a bit since 1997.
a direct contradiction to the iron laws

a direct contradiction to the iron laws

Shhhhhhh! You'll wake up the sleeping midget brothers...
09c44c20c9e77cba377db024705a7589.jpg

Reactions: earldacoug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT