ADVERTISEMENT

Is 2014 going into 2015 vastly different than 2011 going into 2012

CougEd

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
Just in terms of hope, youth, QB play etc, was it all that different? The one area that I would say is different is I would take Cooper over Laurenzi, and probably Destiny over Rankin, plus there is more depth that has played along that defensive line.

I suppose we could debate Pippins White and Brown are vastly superior to Simmons, Horton and Washington, or that Lemora and Taylor T are better than Toomer and Buchanon. Not sure I would take that argument.

I like what I see with Falk. I think he could be a very effective QB here. But I also see growing pains, as we saw last Saturday. So for 2015 will we be able to score enough points to make up for our defensive miscues, or will our DB's somehow getting better, or will the schedule be more favorable to get us to 6-6 and a bowl game.

Buccannon has more talent than all 4 of the DBs we have now. I think as a unit we may be better than the one he played on in a year or two. But I would take toomer and buccannon in a heart beat. Pippins looks promising.
Edit: tailuli reminds me in terms of effectiveness, of chima
This post was edited on 11/24 11:54 AM by chugspig

Originally posted by chugspig:
Buccannon has more talent than all 4 of the DBs we have now. I think as a unit we may be better than the one he played on in a year or two. But I would take toomer and buccannon in a heart beat. Pippins looks promising. Edit: tailuli reminds me in terms of effectiveness, of chima

This post was edited on 11/24 11:54 AM by chugspig
Sorry, but Toomer just was not good.

http://seattle.sbnation.com/2011/10/29/2523563/deanthony-thomas-jukes-animated-oregon-vs-wsu

Between Brown, White and Pippins, I think we have a legitimate reason to hope for improvement. Safety, I'm not so sure about. I assume Hameed has been out with injury- shoulder I believe.

To the "cult of personality" people there is. Because like you when Wulff was the coach, they can't get their minds around the concept of being objective.

The only thing we have improved on is the offense. To get to 6 wins, we have to hope that we have the talent on D to slow down offenses enough that we can win 6 shoot outs or play bad offenses like Utah. Or maybe Kiffin will show up at USC again and Cal will implode again.

We are in trouble yet again in 2015, if you look at it objectively.

Originally posted by Cougsocal:

To the "cult of personality" people there is. Because like you when Wulff was the coach, they can't get their minds around the concept of being objective.

The only thing we have improved on is the offense. To get to 6 wins, we have to hope that we have the talent on D to slow down offenses enough that we can win 6 shoot outs or play bad offenses like Utah. Or maybe Kiffin will show up at USC again and Cal will implode again.

What is the "objective" outlook for 2015? And please explain why.

To me it is more like 2000 going into 2001. Lots of youth, lots of potential and lots of mistakes. The 2000-2001 teams went from four wins to the Sun Bowl.

Well, I'm not in any camp, but I'm not sure what to make of the future either. I believe Mike Leach will be successful here, but as for next season, I'm still uncertain.

I "think" we'll be better out of the gate in 2015. Portland State, at Rutgers, and Wyoming give us a good opportunity to start the season 2-1, and hopefully 3-0. Not sure why, but I think we'll beat Rutgers and be 3-0 heading into conference play.

For me, the conference record is what it's all about. Yes, I agree that having a winnable non conference schedule is important, but being above or near .500 in league play is how I measure success. Our home games against Oregon State, Stanford, ASU, and Colorado appear to good matchups for us next season. I think we can win 3 of those. It's the road games with Cal, Oregon, Arizona, UCLA, and UW that are concerning. Can we steal 2 of them?

It's early, but I think we'll go 7-5 (4-5) next year.

There's certainly potential at corner. Could have three very good ones. I'd like to see brown make that leap to an all conference type performer...he certainly has the talent and swagger just needs to be more consistent.

We need a JC safety, a Shaq-like freshman (not likely) or Farrar/Larue/Dotson to step in? Safety play has looked bleak this year. Hameed may develop he just shouldn't be starting yet.

Originally posted by dgibbons:

Pretty simple, we have had a bad football program for more than a decade. We have had a decade of bad recruiting. including the last three classes, according to all recruiting experts. We play bad defense, without evidence of significant improvement. Our special teams are bad, and with bad recruiting, we can't expect the depth necessary for a turnaround. While our offense has improved significantly, this year demonstrates that 550 yard of offense a game isn't good enough to overcome bad defense and special teams, 8 times out of 10 against D1. With a novice QB in 2015, increased offense production is unlikely. Mike Leach hasn't proven he can rebuild a program or produce a 3-8 to 8-4 turnaround. In sum, more of the same crap should be expected.

Are there any objective measures that say 7 wins should be expected any time soon? Am I missing something?

This post was edited on 11/25 8:38 AM by Cougsocal

but... we're so young!

like... ASU with 5 seniors in their two deep roster; UCLA with 4; Cal with 6; Oregon with 8; USC with 7;

Pretty simple, we have had a bad football program for more than a decade. We have had a decade of bad recruiting. including the last three classes, according to all recruiting experts. We play bad defense, without evidence of significant improvement. Our special teams are bad, and with bad recruiting, we can't expect the depth necessary for a turnaround. While our offense has improved significantly, this year demonstrates that 550 yard of offense a game isn't good enough to overcome bad defense and special teams, 8 times out of 10 against D1. With a novice QB in 2015, increased offense production is unlikely. Mike Leach hasn't proven he can rebuild a program or produce a 3-8 to 8-4 turnaround. In sum, more of the same crap should be expected.

Are there any objective measures that say 7 wins should be expected any time soon? Am I missing something?

Well, you're the one saying that the "objective" outlook is bad. Leach has shown he can double a win total from the previous year. This year has certainly been disappointing, but I'm not seeing any "objective" reason to flush next season down the toilet.

Other recruiting services have more favorable rankings than your 12-10-12 rant. The expected starter at QB looks pretty capable, and I don't see any reason to believe the offense will fall off a cliff despite any historical iron laws determining that sophomore QBs are not allowed to win.

Well, you're the one saying that the "objective" outlook is bad. Leach has shown he can double a win total from the previous year. This year has certainly been disappointing, but I'm not seeing any "objective" reason to flush next season down the toilet.

Other recruiting services have more favorable rankings than your 12-10-12 rant. The expected starter at QB looks pretty capable, and I don't see any reason to believe the offense will fall off a cliff despite any historical iron laws determining that sophomore QBs are not allowed to win.
Hey, Polly, as in, Anna, do you have something other than wishful thinking to offer? Miracles do happen, but if you were forced to put your 401k on the line, you'd put it on under 6 wins, just like any other sane person.

...and cut it in half the very next year.

... and *suddenly* Rivals rankings suck relative to their peers? is this an admission talent existed on this roster all along but has been mishandled? Chased away?

Hey, Polly, as in, Anna, do you have something other than wishful thinking to offer? Miracles do happen, but if you were forced to put your 401k on the line, you'd put it on under 6 wins, just like any other sane person.
I'll just point out, again, that the objective facts do show Leach has doubled the win total from a previous season. Sorry that doesn't fit your narrative.

I quit betting on WSU games my freshman year of college, because I'm a sane person.

Originally posted by chinookpirate:

...and cut it in half the very next year.

... and *suddenly* Rivals rankings suck relative to their peers? is this an admission talent existed on this roster all along but has been mishandled? Chased away?
Do you have a point, or just a rant? I didn't say Rivals ranking suck, I said other services have more favorable rankings.

Only an ardent Wulffian, or a poser like yourself, would actually say that there was talent on this roster that was chased away.

Given how frequently you're proven wrong with "well, I just looked at the database, can't blame me" reasoning, I don't think Rivals needs you defending them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT