ADVERTISEMENT

It's July 1st, when is some clarity around this season going to happen?

Ok. So what is the acceptable number of deaths for WSU football? How many kids can get sick before WSU shuts it down? 5? 10? 20 sick?

This is about risk, exposure and $.

The odds of any WSU football player dying from COVID is zero percent. You’ve been shown the numbers.

The odds of any WSU football player dying from COVID is zero percent. You’ve been shown the numbers.
It’s not zero percent but it’s not very likely. That several players might end up being hospitalized with COVID during the season is actually fairly high though.

On a related note, it looks like USC is throwing in the towel on in person classes this semester. Per a previousNCAA edict that would mean their football team can’t play either.

“The University of Southern California, citing a spike in coronavirus cases in Los Angeles, is backtracking from an aggressive plan to reopen its campus for in-person teaching in the fall term. The private research university announced Wednesday that nearly all of its undergraduate courses would be taught remotely.

“Given the continuing safety restrictions and limited densities permissible on campus, our undergraduate students primarily or exclusively will be taking their courses online in the fall term, and on-campus housing and activities will be limited,” USC officials said in a statement.

“While not what we hoped, we are now recommending all undergraduates take their courses online, and reconsider living on or close to campus this semester. We are continuing with limited in-person, on-campus activity because we believe we can keep students, researchers, staff, and faculty safe with our low-density plan.”

I’m too lazy to look up the numbers but as a fan, you are probably more likely to die in a traffic accident going to or from the game than you are of getting Covid and dying.

It’s not zero percent but it’s not very likely. That several players might end up being hospitalized with COVID during the season is actually fairly high though.

On a related note, it looks like USC is throwing in the towel on in person classes this semester. Per a previousNCAA edict that would mean their football team can’t play either.

“The University of Southern California, citing a spike in coronavirus cases in Los Angeles, is backtracking from an aggressive plan to reopen its campus for in-person teaching in the fall term. The private research university announced Wednesday that nearly all of its undergraduate courses would be taught remotely.

“Given the continuing safety restrictions and limited densities permissible on campus, our undergraduate students primarily or exclusively will be taking their courses online in the fall term, and on-campus housing and activities will be limited,” USC officials said in a statement.

“While not what we hoped, we are now recommending all undergraduates take their courses online, and reconsider living on or close to campus this semester. We are continuing with limited in-person, on-campus activity because we believe we can keep students, researchers, staff, and faculty safe with our low-density plan.”
Ouch, this will certainly stifle the Loughlin girls rowing sc to a pac-12 and national championship.

Reactions: FnuLnu

Out of runway. Expect more decisions like this as we get closer to August.

Statistically it's zero.

"Is actually pretty high".

I call bs, and I'm tired if digging for numbers to prove people wrong, so why don't YOU show the numbers and do the math that shows several football players will end up in the hospital.

it took me less than 5 minutes to pull data from the CDC's site and 10-key it...the data is there and young people ain't dyin'.

[
"Is actually pretty high".

I call bs, and I'm tired if digging for numbers to prove people wrong, so why don't YOU show the numbers and do the math that shows several football players will end up in the hospital.
ok, you gotta do some math here. The latest data shows we have about 850 confirmed cases per every 100,000 of total population. The chart below from the CDC shows that as of June 20th we get about 30 hospitalizations in the 18 to 29 year age group for every 100,000 of population. So, of every 850 confirmed cases, about 30 of them are hospitalized 18 to 29 year olds. If that ratio holds true for a football team of say 100 players then you would expect somewhere between 2 and 5 to be hospitalized by the time the whole team gets infected.

WSU has lost two kids recently. What were the stats/odds of that?

It only takes 1. Long odds or not.

[

ok, you gotta do some math here. The latest data shows we have about 850 confirmed cases per every 100,000 of total population. The chart below from the CDC shows that as of June 20th we get about 30 hospitalizations in the 18 to 29 year age group for every 100,000 of population. So, of every 850 confirmed cases, about 30 of them are hospitalized 18 to 29 year olds. If that ratio holds true for a football team of say 100 players then you would expect somewhere between 2 and 5 to be hospitalized by the time the whole team gets infected.

Don’t even have to do math. DOH does it for you. One percent of deaths and 13 percent of hospitalizations is for people 39 and under.

https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/Coronavirus

Last edited:
Don’t even have to do math. DOH does it for you. One percent of hospitalizations is for people 39 and under.

https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/Coronavirus
Not sure where you are looking. I see 20 to 39 year olds at 12% of hospitalizations and 1% of deaths.

Summary Data Tables
Confirmed Cases, Hospitalizations and Deaths by County[/paste:font]
Number of Individuals Tested[/paste:font]
Confirmed Cases, Hospitalizations and Deaths by Age[/paste:font]
Cumulative Confirmed Cases, Hospitalizations and Deaths by Age
Age Group %of Cases %of Hospitalizations %of Deaths
0-19 9% 1%. 0%
20-39 36% 12% 1%

Not sure where you are looking. I see 20 to 39 year olds at 12% of hospitalizations and 1% of deaths.

Summary Data Tables
Confirmed Cases, Hospitalizations and Deaths by County[/paste:font]
Number of Individuals Tested[/paste:font]
Confirmed Cases, Hospitalizations and Deaths by Age[/paste:font]
Cumulative Confirmed Cases, Hospitalizations and Deaths by Age
Age Group %of Cases %of Hospitalizations %of Deaths
0-19 9% 1%. 0%
20-39 36% 12% 1%

I hit post reply too soon. Hint on the deaths- the one percent were not college age people.

[

That math doesn't pencil out.

Seattle is 3mil. That would be 30 (hosp per 100k) x 30(100000 x 30= 3mil)18-29 hospitalizations, or 900. King co has had 1800 hospitalizations total.

Math don't work.

That math doesn't pencil out.

Seattle is 3mil. That would be 30 (hosp per 100k) x 30(100000 x 30= 3mil)18-29 hospitalizations, or 900. King co has had 1800 hospitalizations total.

Math don't work.
The CDC numbers are nationwide so include the NY, NJ outbreaks. Washington hasn’t been hit as hard yet.

Reactions: NMBRCRNCHR
Saw a recent video with Michael Jordan talking about competing (may have been the trainer, I don't remember - sucks to get old). I can't recall the exact response verbatim but essentially the interviewer asked Jordan if there was a risk of never playing again due to potential aggrevation of an injury or compete in a championship game, what would he do? Obviously Jordan chose to compete despite the risk.

Competitors want to compete. This hand wringing over statistically improbable risk to healthy college athletes is absurd.

If they don't want to play, they don't have to. Pretty simple. Mathematically idiotic but simple solution.

Have them sign a waiver.

I don't think it would stop a grieving family from filing suit. If you're the one with the waiver, is it really something you wanna defend in court? Or do you stroke a check and settle?

Some things you don't want to leave up to a jury.

Reactions: random soul
Can we pick a data set and stick to it? You linked WA doh in another post.
I didn’t start that part of the thread. That was someone else. I was just responding to them.

I’m kind of done with this pointless argument though. All I know is that if I were an AD, there is no way I would be guaranteeing players and parents that no players would get seriously ill or need hospitalization. Pretty sure the folks that actually are ADs won’t do that either.

Reactions: SilverStateCoug
Have them sign a waiver.
Which will mean what? You don't think ...what's another term for ambulance chaser...attorney....that's it won't take on a case and it will be cheaper to settle. but when you are down close to 100 mil, not sure you go down that road. UW has a pretty high infection rate, and they just were released to the wild. If that outbreak hits Pullman in the fall, do they have enough beds and docs?

Most people don't want to test fate. 33k our stadium holds, are to guess how many people will actually attend a game. I would predict 10k

I don't think it would stop a grieving family from filing suit. If you're the one with the waiver, is it really something you wanna defend in court? Or do you stroke a check and settle?

Some things you don't want to leave up to a jury.

Some things never get to a jury.

The players have already signed a waiver.

Which will mean what? You don't think ...what's another term for ambulance chaser...attorney....that's it won't take on a case and it will be cheaper to settle. but when you are down close to 100 mil, not sure you go down that road. UW has a pretty high infection rate, and they just were released to the wild. If that outbreak hits Pullman in the fall, do they have enough beds and docs?

Most people don't want to test fate. 33k our stadium holds, are to guess how many people will actually attend a game. I would predict 10k

No one is taking about fans in the stands.

No one is taking about fans in the stands.
You think Alabama is playing without fans. LSU. They will put students in the stands even if they have to spread them out. But it will be the one kd who gets his lungs all screwed up and will sue a university. Will it be cheaper to settle? Those are what admin people are weighing...health of the player, the potential drawbacks....

Reactions: BiggsCoug
You think Alabama is playing without fans. LSU. They will put students in the stands even if they have to spread them out. But it will be the one kd who gets his lungs all screwed up and will sue a university. Will it be cheaper to settle? Those are what admin people are weighing...health of the player, the potential drawbacks....

No one besides you is talking about fans in stands. And Bama and LSU don’t have 33,000 seat stadiums.

Are you assuming that they wouldn't need hospital care/stays?

Overwhelming the medical community in Pullman with kids needing services, which they will regardless of how resilient they are, could lead to disaster for older people.
All that aside from assumptions about possible interactions with older family members while infectious but asymptomatic, thereby spreading the disease anew anyplace that might have stamped it out every time there's a school break. "It's just the flu" is fine until it's YOUR Grandma on the ventilator I guess

All that aside from assumptions about possible interactions with older family members while infectious but asymptomatic, thereby spreading the disease anew anyplace that might have stamped it out every time there's a school break. "It's just the flu" is fine until it's YOUR Grandma on the ventilator I guess

And that is the issue with this virus, imo. Not enough people have had someone close to them get it or die from it. So it isn't “real.” Until it lands on your doorstep there is no reason to wear a mask.

I just got vendor space at the Sturgis Bike Rally. I will be wearing a mask. If anyone says anything, which they will, I will kindly tell them I have two elderly parents I want to die of old age ~ not a bat virus.

And that is the issue with this virus, imo. Not enough people have had someone close to them get it or die from it. So it isn't “real.” Until it lands on your doorstep there is no reason to wear a mask.

I just got vendor space at the Sturgis Bike Rally. I will be wearing a mask. If anyone says anything, which they will, I will kindly tell them I have two elderly parents I want to die of old age ~ not a bat virus.

Doesn't that kind of prove the point? The virus is real and kicks the ass of the elderly and those with certain pre-existing conditions, but it ain't raining down from the sky killing at will.

Doesn't that kind of prove the point? The virus is real and kicks the ass of the elderly and those with certain pre-existing conditions, but it ain't raining down from the sky killing at will.
Gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet, amirite?

Are you assuming that they wouldn't need hospital care/stays?

Overwhelming the medical community in Pullman with kids needing services, which they will regardless of how resilient they are, could lead to disaster for older people.

there have been zero cases in Whitman County that have required hospitalization.

I’m too lazy to look up the numbers but as a fan, you are probably more likely to die in a traffic accident going to or from the game than you are of getting Covid and dying.

Actually most of the younger folks who have died with Covid did not die from Covid. You test post mortem and results get included.

there have been zero cases in Whitman County that have required hospitalization.
No longer true. As of yesterday, there was one. And case rates have gone from 1 per week in April to 1-2 per day recently. And this is with very few students in town.

Let’s hope it stays that way.

Do you think that would still be the case if there was a full session of spring and summer courses??? How about a packed house for every football game???

I can explain it to you. I cannot understand it for you.

Again, this is about risk, exposure to lawsuits and money. It has nothing to do with statistics. It has everything to do with how much WSU pays out settling lawsuits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT