ADVERTISEMENT

It's July 1st, when is some clarity around this season going to happen?

Who will be the first to shut it down???

In my industry, as soon as the Minnesota State Fair cancelled, other fairs cancelled. There were a few that made a decision earlier. But MN is the big one.

All these teams are dancing around the issue. So KU shuts it down for 2 weeks. How many times are they gonna do that before they call it off?

Just cancel the season and reschedule for the spring. None of these programs can keep their teams safe and having them at workouts only increases their risk.

Let’s hope it stays that way.

Do you think that would still be the case if there was a full session of spring and summer courses??? How about a packed house for every football game???

Turning over a new leaf? Biggs the public health expert?

I can explain it to you. I cannot understand it for you.

Again, this is about risk, exposure to lawsuits and money. It has nothing to do with statistics. It has everything to do with how much WSU pays out settling lawsuits.

You neither understand it nor capable of explaining it.

I can explain it to you. I cannot understand it for you.

Again, this is about risk, exposure to lawsuits and money. It has nothing to do with statistics. It has everything to do with how much WSU pays out settling lawsuits.

Risk assessment has EVERYTHING to do with statistics, removing it from that calc, whether it be the math or ones logic, would be fool-hardy at best.

We obviously see this corona bug in different light, which I am ok with. I am having trouble the non-stop, the sky is falling news is all.

Go Cougs!

Reactions: Observer11
Risk assessment has EVERYTHING to do with statistics, removing it from that calc, whether it be the math or ones logic, would be fool-hardy at best.

We obviously see this corona bug in different light, which I am ok with. I am having trouble the non-stop, the sky is falling news is all.

Go Cougs!

The only stat sheet that matters is WSU’s bank statement. Either they can pay out the lawsuits or they cant. Virus stats have nothing to do with it.

No longer true. As of yesterday, there was one. And case rates have gone from 1 per week in April to 1-2 per day recently. And this is with very few students in town.[/QUOTE

So one requiring care, or hospitalization? Case rates are positive tests mostly resulting from contact tracing, not necessarily “sick” or symptomatic. Numbers have to go up as testing is available now and contacts are being automatically tested, but deaths and severity has been Declining. Once we can prevent the cold or Flu I will be more inclined to believe we can handle something like this effectively. I know a lot of people still waiting for vaccines to be developed for much longer known issues.

How are they not? It’s a pandemic. People are sick all over the nation. And the school has football practice. If kids or fans get sick, regardless of waiver, there will be lawsuits.

Do you wanna take it to a jury? Let 12 people decide your fate? Or do you write a check?

How are they not? It’s a pandemic. People are sick all over the nation. And the school has football practice. If kids or fans get sick, regardless of waiver, there will be lawsuits.

Do you wanna take it to a jury? Let 12 people decide your fate? Or do you write a check?

Lawyer Biggs has never heard of assumption of risk.

Lawyer Biggs has never heard of assumption of risk.

True statement. There are some things it makes no sense to entertain in the courts. When you know there is a pandemic how can you legitimately state the school has more responsibilities for your protection than you have to protect yourself. You have an option to not participate. There does not seem to be inherent liability to me...but that would be a common man sort of argument and in looking at the forum I am no longer sure what that definition would be..

True statement. There are some things it makes no sense to entertain in the courts. When you know there is a pandemic how can you legitimately state the school has more responsibilities for your protection than you have to protect yourself. You have an option to not participate. There does not seem to be inherent liability to me...but that would be a common man sort of argument and in looking at the forum I am no longer sure what that definition would be..

No different than football players assuming the risk of concussions, broken bones and torn ligaments.

Are you saying there would not be an attorney willing to sue the university if a player gets covid despite assumption of risk.

I can find an attorney willing to sue you for being an idiot. That’s not a test for anything. It is a symptom of extraordinary small thinking.

Actually most of the younger folks who have died with Covid did not die from Covid. You test post mortem and results get included.

Sure thing. And to be even more precise, not one of them has died from covid. And with that here’s a fun fact for you: not one person ever has died of cancer or HIV either.

You see schools shutting down in person classes for fear of spread. Why have football?

The plaintiff may not have to prove 100%. They may only have to prove 51%. They win.

If you are closing classrooms for fear of spread while holding football practice and games to make money, how would you defend that in court?

When 12 jurors see a sobbing family in the courtroom while listening to how your schools was gonna make millions of dollars playing football.... when 12 jurors see a HC making millions of dollars answer questions.... then see grieving family members.... how is that gonna play out??? The school got football and they got a dead kid.

Have you ever been in a scenario where it was optional participation but not really?

You see schools shutting down in person classes for fear of spread. Why have football?

The plaintiff may not have to prove 100%. They may only have to prove 51%. They win.

If you are closing classrooms for fear of spread while holding football practice and games to make money, how would you defend that in court?

When 12 jurors see a sobbing family in the courtroom while listening to how your schools was gonna make millions of dollars playing football.... when 12 jurors see a HC making millions of dollars answer questions.... then see grieving family members.... how is that gonna play out??? The school got football and they got a dead kid.

Have you ever been in a scenario where it was optional participation but not really?

Public health expert, lawyer and now jury consultant. You’ve been busy.

While you’re at it, please tell us what happens to the Athletic Department with no football?

I can find an attorney willing to sue you for being an idiot. That’s not a test for anything. It is a symptom of extraordinary small thinking.
Should Rivals consider carrying a warning label on Ed's posts?

The suit would get laughed out of court and would never see a jury.

Fact is, the kids will want to play if given a choice.

The suit would get laughed out of court and would never see a jury.

Fact is, the kids will want to play if given a choice.

Sadly, I guess we will find out. KU just shut down their workouts. If they thought it would be laugjed out of court, why???

Sadly, I guess we will find out. KU just shut down their workouts. If they thought it would be laugjed out of court, why???
A case like this against WSU would never reach a jury. The university rarely litigates - they settle. And they would certainly do so in this scenario, because the public perception in this case would be overwhelmingly negative.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
A case like this against WSU would never reach a jury. The university rarely litigates - they settle. And they would certainly do so in this scenario, because the public perception in this case would be overwhelmingly negative.

WSU litigated the student conduct matters. Notably lost.

Just curious? Does anyone know if colleges in general and WSU in particular carry liability insurance that would cover this type of thing? If so, I expect the insurance carrier will have a loud voice when it comes to what needs to happen for fall semester and football season. WSU is probably large enough and closely enough linked to the state government to be self insured - but I don’t know that for sure.

Just curious? Does anyone know if colleges in general and WSU in particular carry liability insurance that would cover this type of thing? If so, I expect the insurance carrier will have a loud voice when it comes to what needs to happen for fall semester and football season. WSU is probably large enough and closely enough linked to the state government to be self insured - but I don’t know that for sure.
WSU is self-insured for most matters. They do have commercial coverage for some things - selected buildings, events, etc. For general liability, they’re backed by the state.

Herd immunity only works if the team you're playing has herd immunity too. If you have it and the team you’re playing doesn't.... you just gave it to an entire football program, staff and then those kids roll thru the student body.

If you are a parent of a player, what is the price you are willing to settle out of court for when your son dies of covid???

If you are a university, how much $ are you willing to pay out for dead kids???

Alabama has lots of $ and no shortage of talent so maybe they are willing to pay. Other schools not so much.

If games are played be ready for kids to get sick and some will die.... for $.

this is news to me. So, people who get it in early July (Clemson) can infect someone in September? Why are people allowed out again after two weeks right now (my daughter has it now, and is released after 14 days in the house.).

It doesn't help that the medical field is basically flailing with this thing because it's not a run-of-the-mill respiratory illness. Not only is it knocking some people on their butt for months, but it comes at different systems with different symptoms. I ran across a Medium post that had an interesting hypothesis, and then when you get to the end, you get this:

Update: The New England Journal of Medicine paper investigating the effect of statins and ACE inhibitors on Covid-19 mortality rates has been retracted because of concerns over the quality of the data.

Here's the actual article, if you're curious:

https://elemental.medium.com/corona...isease-which-explains-everything-2c4032481ab2

Reactions: froropmkr72
this is news to me. So, people who get it in early July (Clemson) can infect someone in September? Why are people allowed out again after two weeks right now (my daughter has it now, and is released after 14 days in the house.).

You could see it roll thru teams across the nation the same way it has been rolling across the nation already.

Your call on whether you consider Biggs a leading authority on this topic.

You could see it roll thru teams across the nation the same way it has been rolling across the nation already.
The way things are going you could see peak infection rates in September. Not sure how likely that is, but 50k a day and still increasing is bad news. Then winter comes and folks start sharing the same air more often indoors...

The way things are going you could see peak infection rates in September. Not sure how likely that is, but 50k a day and still increasing is bad news. Then winter comes and folks start sharing the same air more often indoors...
And you add in thousands of seasonal flu cases that look similar, at least initially. Could be a real cluster fck by late fall.

Reactions: Cougzz
Start stockpiling food, guns, gold and ammo. The worst is yet to come. Buy a cabin off grid. Ride it out.

How in the world are they liable?

What are the costs to prove they aren’t liable ?
Second what if they didn’t set up proper CDC guides and something happens to a kid .

What if a kid has an underlying condition that because of covid it takes him out .

Trust me, if these weren’t real concerns they would be like you and say “what liability, lets get going by Labor Day”

What are her symptoms?

ADVERTISEMENT