ADVERTISEMENT

It's Time

OrangeGravy

Head Coach
Nov 13, 2017
Shut football down. Go all in on buying basketball players for both programs. It's the only chance wsu has to be relevant in the future. Football is a complete waste of resources for a school headed where we're headed

Shut football down. Go all in on buying basketball players for both programs. It's the only chance wsu has to be relevant in the future. Football is a complete waste of resources for a school headed where we're headed
Oh stop. I was around for the Wulff years, and some of the 3-8 Price years. We will be fine.

Oh stop. I was around for the Wulff years, and some of the 3-8 Price years. We will be fine.
Right. You keep dumping cash into that empty football pit. We're headed straight to the bottom 3rd of the MWC. You see that turnout tonight? It's not going up when the Fresno states come to town. Probably get more fans to a Vegas road game than a home game and I don't blame them. Nobody wants to go to Pullman in shitty weather to watch bad football. It's barely tolerable with good weather and good football

Right. You keep dumping cash into that empty football pit. We're headed straight to the bottom 3rd of the MWC. You see that turnout tonight? It's not going up when the Fresno states come to town. Probably get more fans to a Vegas road game than a home game and I don't blame them. Nobody wants to go to Pullman in shitty weather to watch bad football. It's barely tolerable with good weather and good football
Funny how the nega-Cougs show up when things get tough. And OrangeGravy? Are you an OSU Beaver?

Funny how the nega-Cougs show up when things get tough. And OrangeGravy? Are you an OSU Beaver?
Nope. Class of '97. It's past time people stop pretending like donating more is gonna change anything. The amount of money needed to alter our path is not achievable outside of a billionaire mega-donor. Bleeding alumni dry is a futile exercise that brings no return. It barely had a chance to help before NIL, but was worth it to keep a seat at the table. Turns out it didn’t matter. Now with NIL and the move to G5, it's dead. You don't have to be nega to see that writing on the wall. You can deny it all you want.

Nope. Class of '97. It's past time people stop pretending like donating more is gonna change anything. The amount of money needed to alter our path is not achievable outside of a billionaire mega-donor. Bleeding alumni dry is a futile exercise that brings no return. It barely had a chance to help before NIL, but was worth it to keep a seat at the table. Turns out it didn’t matter. Now with NIL and the move to G5, it's dead. You don't have to be nega to see that writing on the wall. You can deny it all you want.
Loyal is looking forward to a third ex-wife and thr Mountain West.

How much would WSU have to overpay the top basketball players to play in front of crowds of 2500 to get them to come to Pullman and play in the Mtn West?

How much would WSU have to overpay the top basketball players to play in front of crowds of 2500 to get them to come to Pullman and play in the Mtn West?
Do like Raveling used to do - fly them in after dark so they have no idea how far out in the middle of nowhere they are. Preferably from Nigeria or Croatia.

Do like Raveling used to do - fly them in after dark so they have no idea how far out in the middle of nowhere they are. Preferably from Nigeria or Croatia.
We’ve done OK with Australians too.

And, for recruits from those areas, Pullman isn’t necessarily that remote.

Reactions: wazzucougs96
I met Raveling once, at some dinner honoring him. Stood in line to shake his hand. He called ME sir. What a great guy. I loved those days - George would jump off the bench and fling his arms up and a sold out Beasley would go berserk.

"Pullman is not the end of the world, but you can see it from there". How the F we ever got him, along with Puidokas, Ehlo, The House, (POS) Don Collins, etc. Good times.

I remember the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament in Boise (?). Was it Bryan Pollard going up against Ralph Sampson? Sampson was on his tippie toes and his hands were on the backboard. Yeah, that shot wasn't going to make it.

You say that....but there are 60 teams playing FBS football that are not in the Power 5 and they all seem to make it work. There could be some tough times ahead but it is monumentally stupid to suggest that we should shut down the football program.

FWIW, I stood in line at the airport in Denver with a kid that is planning to play football at the Colorado School of Mines. If a school filled with engineers can field a competitive football team....I'm guessing that WSU can still roll out some dudes.

Reactions: longtimecoug
You say that....but there are 60 teams playing FBS football that are not in the Power 5 and they all seem to make it work. There could be some tough times ahead but it is monumentally stupid to suggest that we should shut down the football program.

FWIW, I stood in line at the airport in Denver with a kid that is planning to play football at the Colorado School of Mines. If a school filled with engineers can field a competitive football team....I'm guessing that WSU can still roll out some dudes.
They make it work to what end? The only reasonable scenario to have a team at that level is if it's profitable or at least pays for itself. Do you think that's possible in Pullman with a MWC schedule?

I agree

Football for the Colorado school of mines is an activity. They aren't trying to compete at the highest level. If WSU wanted to be competitive, the big Sky/FCS is the true level at which we belong. That is sustainable. Even trying to compete at the G5 level is not.

Football for the Colorado school of mines is an activity. They aren't trying to compete at the highest level. If WSU wanted to be competitive, the big Sky/FCS is the true level at which we belong. That is sustainable. Even trying to compete at the G5 level is not.
This is complete bullshit

They have literally been competitive in a P5 conference since Leach pulled us out of the Wulff years. Even this year with the collapse had been competitive for the most part with other P5 teams. So now because of one bad year it's time to drop to the FCS? If teams reacted like this after a bad season about 75% of teams would be in the FCS at this point. This year sucks royally but I think this is an overreaction.

They have literally been competitive in a P5 conference since Leach pulled us out of the Wulff years. Even this year with the collapse had been competitive for the most part with other P5 teams. So now because of one bad year it's time to drop to the FCS? If teams reacted like this after a bad season about 75% of teams would be in the FCS at this point. This year sucks royally but I think this is an overreaction.
1 bad year? That's what your going with?

1 bad year? That's what your going with?
I guess it depenfs on how dar you want to go back but im speaking more to recent history and forget the wulff years. Are 7-6 years or 6-7 years not competitive? Are they good? No but not sure how it can be categorized as non competitive. They were still at least as good as about half the league. If you were talking about being dominant and winning championships ok.

That's the rub, isn't it?

The only time WSU has been competitive is when it fell in a pile of shit and found a brick of gold.

There are countless examples of similar schools, with similar geographic and population "challenges" who manage to be competitive more often than not. We all know there are forces at many schools who would like nothing more for athletics, but specifially football, to be gone from the campus for good, and I"m certain that the conversation has been broached more than once due to recent events. Which is great, because now maybe they can throw more money at additional levels of bureaucracy and idiotic departments like DEI. The sooner we can turn WSU into UW - Pullman, the better I say.

I guess it depenfs on how dar you want to go back but im speaking more to recent history and forget the wulff years. Are 7-6 years or 6-7 years not competitive? Are they good? No but not sure how it can be categorized as non competitive. They were still at least as good as about half the league. If you were talking about being dominant and winning championships ok.
Are you choosing to forget the fact that the already inadequate athletic budget is about to be gutted?

There are systemic issues with WSU athletics that don't have anything to do with coaches and players and they all have to do with money and administration, much of which is going away.

Are you choosing to forget the fact that the already inadequate athletic budget is about to be gutted?

There are systemic issues with WSU athletics that don't have anything to do with coaches and players and they all have to do with money and administration, much of which is going away.
So drop down to FCS without even trying for G5?

WSU is a very solid University with a unique campus experience. Depending on how the University prioritizes the pending settlement money allocation from the P12, we have an opportunity to use some of those funds to help give us advantages within the new conference. We've already got above average facilities with a new IPF upcoming, and a new basketball arena being discussed.

I don't see us being able to step in and dominate the new league by any means, but with our academics, our campus setting, and hopefully a well-funded coaching staff, we should be in the mix for the top 1/3 of G5 recruits out West. I can confidently sell WSU's college experience and degree offerings over any MWC program.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
WSU is a very solid University with a unique campus experience. Depending on how the University prioritizes the pending settlement money allocation from the P12, we have an opportunity to use some of those funds to help give us advantages within the new conference. We've already got above average facilities with a new IPF upcoming, and a new basketball arena being discussed.

I don't see us being able to step in and dominate the new league by any means, but with our academics, our campus setting, and hopefully a well-funded coaching staff, we should be in the mix for the top 1/3 of G5 recruits out West. I can confidently sell WSU's college experience and degree offerings over any MWC program.
New basketball arena? Seriously?

Not only has that carrot been dangled in front of the donors for the past 20 years, you actually think the regents will approve money to build a state of the art arena for a G5 or lower, non-competitive MBB team?

Also, Colorado St, SDSU, and Hawaii are all ranked higher than WSU at #178 by USN&WR.

Last edited:
7-6/6-7 isn't competitive when that's typically a good year. It's not an average year. It's a good year historically.

7-6/6-7 isn't competitive when that's typically a good year. It's not an average year. It's a good year historically.
I guess Stanford arizona and az should have folded the last few years since they've been largely non competitive? Only 4 teams or so in each league?

How long are you gonna be able to pay that well funded coaching staff and what are you gonna do when you can't? It's not like we need to just weather the next 2 years and a flood of revenue is coming. We're staring down the barrel of sub $10 million a year tv revenue for the foreseeable future

How long are you gonna be able to pay that well funded coaching staff and what are you gonna do when you can't? It's not like we need to just weather the next 2 years and a flood of revenue is coming. We're staring down the barrel of sub $10 million a year tv revenue for the foreseeable future
Sub 10? Try sub 5.

I don't see the current TV climate getting better for the G5 schools. The networks now have all the teams consolidated and can fill the schedule witn conference games from the P4 - there literally won't be any time for G5 games on tv. The literally had to scrape up $4M per school from two different networks.

We can fund the head coach indefinitely at $3-4M/year. I also think a rebuilt P12 with streaming rights will earn us $15M/year. Still not great, but we can choose to make football a priority if we opt to.

If the goal is field a team, sure they make it work.

While they aren't a D1 program, they are the #1 ranked Div II team in the country. To blow it off as an "activity" shows that you have no concept about football across the divisions.

In terms of being competitive, the truth is that WSU has not actually been competitive at a national level more than a half dozen times in the last 50 years and frankly, 2002 is the only season in almost 100 years where we were truly competitive and relevant in the final week of the regular season...and we couldn't win that game to remain relevant.

As fun as 2018 was, we never had a shot at making the CFP...even if we had beaten the mutts. Best case scenario would be that might have finished #6 in the final CFP rankings and it would have probably been #7. Don't bullsh!t yourself, it's never been about us being competitive in the way that actual competitive programs look at things.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT