ADVERTISEMENT

It's Time

They all have the ability to scale up their programs. We don't.
I tend to agree there isn't a place for WSU in the ne P5/4 landscape. I don't think movement is over as far as that goes either. Looking forward I think it will look more like 40 teams in call it tier 1 and everyone else in a tier 2. I don't want to give up just cause things aren't going our way right now. I'd say stay alive as long as you can to see how it continues to pan out. Wsu may very well end up in FCS but I'd like to go down at least trying.

We can fund the head coach indefinitely at $3-4M/year. I also think a rebuilt P12 with streaming rights will earn us $15M/year. Still not great, but we can choose to make football a priority if we opt to.
How would we fund a coach at that level indefinitely?

Reactions: HCoug
While they aren't a D1 program, they are the #1 ranked Div II team in the country. To blow it off as an "activity" shows that you have no concept about football across the divisions.

In terms of being competitive, the truth is that WSU has not actually been competitive at a national level more than a half dozen times in the last 50 years and frankly, 2002 is the only season in almost 100 years where we were truly competitive and relevant in the final week of the regular season...and we couldn't win that game to remain relevant.

As fun as 2018 was, we never had a shot at making the CFP...even if we had beaten the mutts. Best case scenario would be that might have finished #6 in the final CFP rankings and it would have probably been #7. Don't bullsh!t yourself, it's never been about us being competitive in the way that actual competitive programs look at things.
Top 10 is nationally relevant.

While they aren't a D1 program, they are the #1 ranked Div II team in the country. To blow it off as an "activity" shows that you have no concept about football across the divisions.

In terms of being competitive, the truth is that WSU has not actually been competitive at a national level more than a half dozen times in the last 50 years and frankly, 2002 is the only season in almost 100 years where we were truly competitive and relevant in the final week of the regular season...and we couldn't win that game to remain relevant.

As fun as 2018 was, we never had a shot at making the CFP...even if we had beaten the mutts. Best case scenario would be that might have finished #6 in the final CFP rankings and it would have probably been #7. Don't bullsh!t yourself, it's never been about us being competitive in the way that actual competitive programs look at things.

Did you forget about 97?

I tend to agree there isn't a place for WSU in the ne P5/4 landscape. I don't think movement is over as far as that goes either. Looking forward I think it will look more like 40 teams in call it tier 1 and everyone else in a tier 2. I don't want to give up just cause things aren't going our way right now. I'd say stay alive as long as you can to see how it continues to pan out. Wsu may very well end up in FCS but I'd like to go down at least trying.
That's just it. When that happens, there won't be any money left for tier 2. Revenue for CFB isn't growing, it's consolidating. Tier 2 is gonna be what FCS is now. There won't be a middle tier G anything. What exactly does everyone think is happening here?

That's just it. When that happens, there won't be any money left for tier 2. Revenue for CFB isn't growing, it's consolidating. Tier 2 is gonna be what FCS is now. There won't be a middle tier G anything. What exactly does everyone think is happening here?
Its not just "happening", its being carried out.

Reactions: ATACFD
If the goal is field a team, sure they make it work.

Isn't that all we do in any given year? When was the last time that WSU was ranked in the Top 5 after the regular season was done? Hell, let's double down. How often has WSU been ranked in the Top 12 of the AP Poll at the end of the regular season where we would have made the college football playoff? Let me list our best seasons for you to enjoy.

1951: #18 (finished #14)
1997: #8 (finished #10)
2001: #13 (finished #10)
2002: #7 (finished #10)
2003: #15 (finished #10)
2017: #21 (finished unranked)
2018: #12 (finished #10)

So, our team would have made a 12 team playoff twice in over 70 years. So yeah, most years all we've done is field a team.

So instead of trying for whatever tier 2 is just not have sports then? It mau end up there but I still think it's worth trying to be around to see what happens rather than give up.

It is an activity. Its nothing more than an extension of high school sports (like all college athletics used to be). It doesn't matter what they're ranked. There is no money in it, thus an activity. WSU has no business trying to compete in sports that are revenue driven. None and never have. We're just a remnant of what college athletics originated as.

So instead of trying for whatever tier 2 is just not have sports then? It mau end up there but I still think it's worth trying to be around to see what happens rather than give up.
What are you trying for in tier 2 exactly? What do you hope get out of it? Return on investment isn't coming from tier 2. What accomplishment are you hoping for in tier 2 that isn't available in FCS?

Isn't that all we do in any given year? When was the last time that WSU was ranked in the Top 5 after the regular season was done? Hell, let's double down. How often has WSU been ranked in the Top 12 of the AP Poll at the end of the regular season where we would have made the college football playoff? Let me list our best seasons for you to enjoy.

So, our team would have made a 12 team playoff twice in over 70 years. So yeah, most years all we've done is field a team.
It's true top 10 finishes have been few and far between for WSU but I feel like this can be said for a lot of other teams too. Really there are usually only about what 12-15 of the same teams each year that have a real shot at a title. Sometimes the improbability is what makes it fun not every team can be dominant. The years where the cougs have pulled put big wins or had great seasons are still some great times and memories despite them never really having a shot at a title. It would just suck to have that go away altogether.

Exactly right. So what's the point of throwing good money at that scenario when you can get the same results without spending? There is no attainable amount of money, short of a billionaire donor opening the floodgates, that will turn a football team in Pullman into anything better than what you just posted in this era of CFB

It's true top 10 finishes have been few and far between for WSU but I feel like this can be said for a lot of other teams too. Really there are usually only about what 12-15 of the same teams each year that have a real shot at a title. Sometimes the improbability is what makes it fun not every team can be dominant. The years where the cougs have pulled put big wins or had great seasons are still some great times and memories despite them never really having a shot at a title. It would just suck to have that go away altogether.
It's going away whether you like it or not. When they finally consolidate, there won't be non-conference games against the G? and FCS programs. They'll have total control of the playoff and everyone outside the top 40 or whatever, ain't in it

Exactly right. So what's the point of throwing good money at that scenario when you can get the same results without spending? There is no attainable amount of money, short of a billionaire donor opening the floodgates, that will turn a football team in Pullman into anything better than what you just posted in this era of CFB
Football teams are the face of every university that plays that sport. The benefits of playing at the highest level of that sport bring benefits to the university outside of sports that make it more appealing and attractive to students.

Gonzaga is a good example for a school without football. Almost everything about GU has pointed up since that school began fielding competitive teams at the highest level.

Its not just about finacial gain to the thlethic dept. That's all I have to say about that.

There are 260 Division I football programs (FBS and FCS). Only ten or so programs have a realistic chance of winning a championship on a regular basis. By your logic, almost all of the rest should just call it a day.

I think it remains to he seen what money etc. looks like down the road since we are in unprecedented territory since it's never happened before. If all the tier 2 or whatever schools ban together I think they could put something together worth more than fcs, alumni still want to watch their team and a lot of folks will tune out of the tier 1 league if their team isn't in it.

Football teams are the face of every university that plays that sport. The benefits of playing at the highest level of that sport bring benefits to the university outside of sports that make it more appealing and attractive to students.

Gonzaga is a good example for a school without football. Almost everything about GU has pointed up since that school began fielding competitive teams at the highest level.

Its not just about finacial gain to the thlethic dept. That's all I have to say about that.
I don't disagree and we will no longer be playing at that highest level. And no, the G6 ain't it

I don't disagree and we will no longer be playing at that highest level. And no, the G6 ain't it
Well isn't that the point and why you're getting so much pushback?

The argument is that the ROI currently is worth it at the P4 G5 level. Dropping to fcs would hurt more. Taihtsat

There are 260 Division I football programs (FBS and FCS). Only ten or so programs have a realistic chance of winning a championship on a regular basis. By your logic, almost all of the rest should just call it a day.
All of them outside of the big tent probably should when they get relegated. There won't be any benefit to having a football team if you're not IN. no tangible or intangible

Well isn't that the point and why you're getting so much pushback?

The argument is that the ROI currently is worth it at the P4 G5 level. Dropping to fcs would hurt more. Taihtsat
At P5 yes, G5 NO. The G5 isn't gonna have a seat at the table soon

All of them outside of the big tent probably should when they get relegated. There won't be any benefit to having a football team if you're not IN. no tangible or intangible

That is still a terrible take. Hundreds of thousands of fans watch football games every week in stadiums that apparently have no tangible reason to exist.

I think it remains to he seen what money etc. looks like down the road since we are in unprecedented territory since it's never happened before. If all the tier 2 or whatever schools ban together I think they could put something together worth more than fcs, alumni still want to watch their team and a lot of folks will tune out of the tier 1 league if their team isn't in it.
Alumni still want to watch ivy league games. Banning together won't create more tv revenue. That number is essentially fixed. The traditional conference setup was as even a distribution between p5/g5 as possible. This whole realignment exercise is to consolidate the "desirable" schools away from the unwanted. Currently that pie is split about 80/20 p5/g5. When it's all said and done, it'll be 95/5 at best

That is still a terrible take. Hundreds of thousands of fans watch football games every week in stadiums that apparently have no tangible reason to exist.
You can still have it if you want, but it has to be the non-reveue model, fcs, for most otherwise you're just pissing away money

WSU was competitive that year in the sense that it was a Porter Gustin missed penalty and a freak slush / ice / snow storm from likely being undefeated going into the conference title game. It would have been against Utah on a neutral site and WSU probably would have been favored, having already beaten Utah that year. I'm about as realistic as they come around here, but there's no way to say that team, despite its flaws and not really being a top-4 team, couldn't have made the playoff. It likely would have been pasted in the playoff, so we agree in terms of how "competitive" WSU really was, but it's not like WSU getting in that year was a big stretch. For whatever it's worth.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
WSU was competitive that year in the sense that it was a Porter Gustin missed penalty and a freak slush / ice / snow storm from likely being undefeated going into the conference title game. It would have been against Utah on a neutral site and WSU probably would have been favored, having already beaten Utah that year. I'm about as realistic as they come around here, but there's no way to say that team, despite its flaws and not really being a top-4 team, couldn't have made the playoff. It likely would have been pasted in the playoff, so we agree in terms of how "competitive" WSU really was, but it's not like WSU getting in that year was a big stretch. For whatever it's worth.

I get what you're saying but the reality is that even though we did get into the Top 10 of the playoff discussion that year, when it came down to it....we weren't a contender at the finish. Our best season in the last 20 years is still a "woulda, coulda, shoulda" year. For Coug fans, it's more realistic to just get whatever enjoyment you can without getting caught up in the noise of the CFP. Changing to the MWC doesn't really impact us as much as people would like to think it will. (It's going to still suck though).

That said, this turd of a season is not meeting that expectation of providing entertainment worth watching...but that's a different conversation.

Reactions: 425cougfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT