ADVERTISEMENT

Jackson Cravens DT

ElComanche

Hall Of Fame
Sep 28, 2007
Cravens was just offered by WSU.He is from Tiempview Utah. He is a 6 3 285 pd DT. Of course, he is already on everyone s radar. he has been offered by Michigan State ,Utah, Virginia, and a whole host of schools . One wonders if this is a desperation offer or if they have an in at this late date. He has great marks for a high school player. He has a BP of 405,Squat of 515,and a dead lift of 465. The cougs need big bodies but the late offer is puzzling.

Cravens was just offered by WSU.He is from Tiempview Utah. He is a 6 3 285 pd DT. Of course, he is already on everyone s radar. he has been offered by Michigan State ,Utah, Virginia, and a whole host of schools . One wonders if this is a desperation offer or if they have an in at this late date. He has great marks for a high school player. He has a BP of 405,Squat of 515,and a dead lift of 465. The cougs need big bodies but the late offer is puzzling.
He seems to have a connection with Phelps.

The staff does not make desperation offers. They also do not fear going up against anybody. Just this season they have received commitments from players that USC, UCLA, Stanford, Georgia, etc., have offered and recruited.

He seems to have a connection with Phelps.

Good looking prospect who would look even better in crimson and gray...
DAYhBzMUQAAeUr7.jpg

pfoot_cravens_091116~0.jpg

Reactions: froropmkr72
By "desperation" i am talking about offering a very highly rated prospect so late in the game. After Hercules left,there is a big hole to fill.As far as i know,they do not have a lot of defensive line prospects in the pipeline, Cravens would see a lot of early playing time if he commits to the cougs. However other schools like Utah,Washington and Georgia have all offered and it is late in the game.These big name schools have been recruiting him for a long time

Last edited:
By "desperation" i am talking about offering a very highly rated prospect so late in the game. After Hercules left,there is a big hole to fill.As far as i know,they do not have a lot of defensive line prospects in the pipeline, Cravens would see a lot of early playing time if he commits to the cougs. However other schools like Utah,Washington and Georgia have all offered and it is late in the game.These big name schools have been recruiting him for a long time

Even late is not desperation. Last year, the Cougars offered Jamire Calvin late. You offer when you offer. There are thousands of players to evaluate. There is not enough time to have them all evaluated early, nor is their time to recruit them all. One door closes, you open another door. One player turns them down, you offer the next player on the list.

I agree with philosophy,however this guy is rated much higher than Calvin was. The schools he is /was recruited by do not list WSU. Calvin was pursued long and hard and eventually signed with WSU after initially committing to Nebraska . The cougs may have been interested in Cravens but no offer until very late. So there is a big difference in the two recruitment's.

I'm not sure which player was rated higher. But, there was zero desperation in the offer. Coaches don't think like that.

Cammon Cooper, Rodrick Fisher, Max Borghi, 16 other signees and I all don't sense any desperation at all. And we feel bad that you are puzzled. :oops:

There is all kinds of gamesmanship that happens down the stretch of the recruiting cycle. For instance, when USC or someone is trying to big dog us, they ask a guy to visit and tell him that he will get an offer on the visit or if he de-commits from WSU. It's part of the numbers game with the 25 cap. USC wants to know the guy is onboard for certain. Who knows what happened with this guy. Maybe he wasn't interested before but is now.

Even late is not desperation. Last year, the Cougars offered Jamire Calvin late. You offer when you offer. There are thousands of players to evaluate. There is not enough time to have them all evaluated early, nor is their time to recruit them all. One door closes, you open another door. One player turns them down, you offer the next player on the list.

We offered Calvin in January of the preceding year. Offered January 2016. Signed February 2017. I think we were actually his second offer.

The Cougs may be behind the curve on these late offers but not out of it. The fact that this young man and other similar prospects did not sign during the early period demonstrates that they are still questioning their choice of school and perhaps we can show that we are their best fit academically and athletically. That they have had a chance to establish bonds with other recruiters and are still not convinced says something. A long shot, O.K., but we still have a shot.

Also, I'd like to add that, CML has been open about recruiting. He doesn't offer unless there is interest. So there HAS to be some level of interest, and communication, for there to be an offer.

So to place that in perspective on this specific situation. He hasn't committed, either verbally, or signing an LOI. Either WSU, or the kid, has instigated communication indicating interest in him going to WSU. Gotta say, I think we are in a good position here. May get him, may not. But this isn't some haphazard plea for attention by WSU or getting over our head. I'd say based on the situation, there is real interest in WSU.

However it came down,i hope he commits to the cougs. He is a very good player and sorely needed . The D line is place which needs good players and he would see early playing time

Also, I'd like to add that, CML has been open about recruiting. He doesn't offer unless there is interest. So there HAS to be some level of interest, and communication, for there to be an offer.

So to place that in perspective on this specific situation. He hasn't committed, either verbally, or signing an LOI. Either WSU, or the kid, has instigated communication indicating interest in him going to WSU. Gotta say, I think we are in a good position here. May get him, may not. But this isn't some haphazard plea for attention by WSU or getting over our head. I'd say based on the situation, there is real interest in WSU.

Well, just 3 days ago he scheduled 3 of his remaining 4 visits to UW, Oregon & Utah & mentioned possibly tripping to Zona or UGA with his remaining OV. So, ElC is definitely right. We have some catching up to do and will have to get an OV in there somewhere.

Well, just 3 days ago he scheduled 3 of his remaining 4 visits to UW, Oregon & Utah & mentioned possibly tripping to Zona or UGA with his remaining OV. So, ElC is definitely right. We have some catching up to do and will have to get an OV in there somewhere.
Well that isn't the news I was hoping for... :eek:

The Cougs may be behind the curve on these late offers but not out of it. The fact that this young man and other similar prospects did not sign during the early period demonstrates that they are still questioning their choice of school and perhaps we can show that we are their best fit academically and athletically. That they have had a chance to establish bonds with other recruiters and are still not convinced says something. A long shot, O.K., but we still have a shot.

I want a staff that hits the recruiting trail hard and fast right up till signing days. We don't need our coaches yucking it up with the coach at St. Johns-Endicott bragging about their seven Pac-10 offers when they were in high school.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT