ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Puckett interview with Coach Riley

Coug1990

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 22, 2002
Now that Puckett has left KJR and started his own YouTube channel and podcasts, here is a nice interview he did with Coach Riley. I am very excited.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
1990, thanks for the news. I had no idea, (we are in the midst of transitioning and moving out of Washington :cool: ).

Jason Puckett and Jim Moore always added additinal COUG content on KJR, to compliment Ian Furness. Now it's just Furness. But for the most part, radio, (as a whole) is dead while YouTube and social media is just the opposite.

When I see this, it continues to remind me that back in the 80's when I decided not to work in radio full-time, (because of the insecurity in the broadcast industry....and there was no internet then...and it was still highly transient, brutal and low pay, unless you had a contract, mornings or afternoon drive).....I am happy I made that decision, all those years ago.

At the time, though...it was so difficult and painful to make that decision to not work in radio full-time, because radio was and always in my blood since grade school, and KJR had by far most influence, (Top-40). Even worked at KJR in 1984. Frankly the passion for radio as a child and teenager, ultimately led me to Washington State, Edward R Murrow, Val Limburg, KUGR on-air and Board of Directors, KRPL in Moscow and an internship at KIRO.

That said, here's the back story of Puckett and Moore.

Jim Moore Laid Off at KJR By iHeartMedia; Partner Jason Puckett Walks​

BSM StaffMarch 26, 2024

“I’m a firm believer in loyalty and the treatment of others. From my perspective I couldn’t in good conscience continue to do the show despite my love to do so.”
iHeart Media and KJR radio logos with a photo of Jim Moore and Jason Puckett

iHeartMedia is doing yet another round of layoffs and this time, one layoff decision has led to another employee just packing his things and leaving. Jim Moore, who co-hosted the midday show since 2021 on KJR in Seattle, was notified at the end of last week his position had been eliminated as part of a nationwide cutback of iHeart employees.

Turns out, Moore’s partner on the show, Jason ‘Puck’ Puckett had been in contract negotiations to stay with the station. However, when Puckett got the news he would no longer be working with Moore, he decided to end those negotiations even after saying he had received the offer he had been looking for.
Both hosts took to social media to explain the situation with Moore saying “…the timing was such that [Puckett] thought if he returned with a new contract, it would look like he got paid at my expense since I had lost my job. I don’t think that was the case, but Puck didn’t like how that appeared and wanted none of it. If I wasn’t coming back, he wasn’t coming back – even though the station honored his contract request. So, he turned down a great salary and a great job to take a gamble on himself and support me at the same time. It’s one of the nicest things anyone’s ever done for me. I told him several times to sign the contract…but he wouldn’t do it and stuck to his guns…I greatly appreciate his friendship and support, and it’s cool to see in what is usually a me, me, me world.”

Moore went on to thank several of the people he worked with and for at KJR as well as his listeners and readers. Moore spent 25 years as a sportswriter before 15 years as a sports talk show host.
Puckett, who had been with the KJR since 2002, posted on his X account to explain his side of things. “First off I want to apologize for being off the air for the last three weeks,” he said. “These last few weeks have been the most exhausting and agonizing time of my life.
“I had been in contract negotiations with iHeart – KJR since the start of January and in the last few weeks we mutually agreed that I would be off the air until we reached a deal. So, no, I was not on vacation or sick. Why I chose to remain silent was not deceive you – the listeners- I just didn’t want to take my personal business to the airwaves and social media.

“Both sides worked hard to get a deal done and the process was long and time consuming. Late last week I received the offer that I had been looking for and was excited and grateful to get back to work on Monday. However, a day after receiving the offer I learned that my partner Jim Moore was terminated as part of nationwide layoffs within the company. The timing of the move left me angry, sad, confused and conflicted. Since last Thursday I have grappled with what direction to go in. Many, many sleepless nights has led to my decision to part ways with the station and not seek a new contract.”
Puckett continued and said, “I’m a firm believer in loyalty and the treatment of others. From my perspective I couldn’t in good conscience continue to do the show despite my love to do so.”

No official word yet on what the future holds for the duo, however, Puckett’s post ended with him saying, “The process has energized and motivated me to great lengths. Stay tuned because very soon I’ll deliver the same nonsense in a different form.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Coug1990 and Coug90
1990, thanks for the news. I had no idea, (we are in the midst of transitioning and moving out of Washington :cool: ).

Jason Puckett and Jim Moore always added additinal COUG content on KJR, to compliment Ian Furness. Now it's just Furness. But for the most part, radio, (as a whole) is dead while YouTube and social media is just the opposite.

When I see this, it continues to remind me that back in the 80's when I decided not to work in radio full-time, (because of the insecurity in the broadcast industry....and there was no internet then...and it was still highly transient, brutal and low pay, unless you had a contract, mornings or afternoon drive).....I am happy I made that decision, all those years ago.

At the time, though...it was so difficult and painful to make that decision to not work in radio full-time, because radio was and always in my blood since grade school, and KJR had by far most influence, (Top-40). Even worked at KJR in 1984. Frankly the passion for radio as a child and teenager, ultimately led me to Washington State, Edward R Murrow, Val Limburg, KUGR on-air and Board of Directors, KRPL in Moscow and an internship at KIRO.

BSM StaffMarch 26, 2024

“I’m a firm believer in loyalty and the treatment of others. From my perspective I couldn’t in good conscience continue to do the show despite my love to do so.”

iHeartMedia is doing yet another round of layoffs and this time, one layoff decision has led to another employee just packing his things and leaving. Jim Moore, who co-hosted the midday show since 2021 on KJR in Seattle, was notified at the end of last week his position had been eliminated as part of a nationwide cutback of iHeart employees.

Turns out, Moore’s partner on the show, Jason ‘Puck’ Puckett had been in contract negotiations to stay with the station. However, when Puckett got the news he would no longer be working with Moore, he decided to end those negotiations even after saying he had received the offer he had been looking for.
Both hosts took to social media to explain the situation with Moore saying “…the timing was such that [Puckett] thought if he returned with a new contract, it would look like he got paid at my expense since I had lost my job. I don’t think that was the case, but Puck didn’t like how that appeared and wanted none of it. If I wasn’t coming back, he wasn’t coming back – even though the station honored his contract request. So, he turned down a great salary and a great job to take a gamble on himself and support me at the same time. It’s one of the nicest things anyone’s ever done for me. I told him several times to sign the contract…but he wouldn’t do it and stuck to his guns…I greatly appreciate his friendship and support, and it’s cool to see in what is usually a me, me, me world.”

Moore went on to thank several of the people he worked with and for at KJR as well as his listeners and readers. Moore spent 25 years as a sportswriter before 15 years as a sports talk show host.
Puckett, who had been with the KJR since 2002, posted on his X account to explain his side of things. “First off I want to apologize for being off the air for the last three weeks,” he said. “These last few weeks have been the most exhausting and agonizing time of my life.
“I had been in contract negotiations with iHeart – KJR since the start of January and in the last few weeks we mutually agreed that I would be off the air until we reached a deal. So, no, I was not on vacation or sick. Why I chose to remain silent was not deceive you – the listeners- I just didn’t want to take my personal business to the airwaves and social media.

“Both sides worked hard to get a deal done and the process was long and time consuming. Late last week I received the offer that I had been looking for and was excited and grateful to get back to work on Monday. However, a day after receiving the offer I learned that my partner Jim Moore was terminated as part of nationwide layoffs within the company. The timing of the move left me angry, sad, confused and conflicted. Since last Thursday I have grappled with what direction to go in. Many, many sleepless nights has led to my decision to part ways with the station and not seek a new contract.”
Puckett continued and said, “I’m a firm believer in loyalty and the treatment of others. From my perspective I couldn’t in good conscience continue to do the show despite my love to do so.”

No official word yet on what the future holds for the duo, however, Puckett’s post ended with him saying, “The process has energized and motivated me to great lengths. Stay tuned because very soon I’ll deliver the same nonsense in a different form.”
What are you changing your handle to
MI?

What are you changing your handle to
MI?
Either...

ArizonaCOUG
AZCoug
azCOUG
ScottsdaleCOUG
or
TroonNorthCOUG

BTW, I think I have to "pay" RIVALS Premium support to do it....because I can't figure out how to change my Handle with all the Google searches and research I've done. They make it so painful and not intuitive.

Any feedback, suggestions or insight for both my handle and how to change it????

Last edited:

BSM StaffMarch 26, 2024

When my wife was in vet school, I decided...mostly for a hobby...to get a master's in communications. It was essentially free, as they offered me a TA position teaching two sections of public speaking in lieu of tuition. Since I was already in Pullman for another four years, why not? Plus, I could explore my inner Humbert Humbert.

Anyway, once I began to get comfortable enough to ask my profs about the nature of working in the media, it became readily apparent how much of a sh!t show career it is. Horrible compensation, an unbelievably transient industry and terribly difficult competition. Ended up finishing the degree in one year and then went to work for Ed Schweitzer as another nameless drone. Thank God my wife had no problem finishing her vet degree and buying our own clinic.

Reactions: Coug90 and M-I-Coug
Either...

ArizonaCOUG
AZCoug
azCOUG
ScottsdaleCOUG
or
TroonNorthCOUG

BTW, I think I have to "pay" RIVALS Premium support to do it....because I can't figure out how to change my Handle with all the Google searches and research I've done. They make it so painful and not intuitive.

Any feedback, suggestions or insight for both my handle and how to change it????
I don't know if you can change it. Might have to create a new account (can't use your existing e-mail address though). Or shit just leave it as is.

Totally can relate, and what you say is 100% true. I've seen people in the business drag their wife and family coast to coast, all across America, after they lose their job. Great talent, but the insecurity is brutal.

Now that Puckett has left KJR and started his own YouTube channel and podcasts, here is a nice interview he did with Coach Riley. I am very excited.

Thanks '90!

Riley is obviously young but he's been around coaching his entire life. Thought it was interesting when asked about other offers. Other programs sold "location, weather, or we are smarter than everyone" and WSU sold community and being a "Coug". FWIW, seems like a good fit.

Reactions: Coug1990
Either...

ArizonaCOUG
AZCoug
azCOUG
ScottsdaleCOUG
or
TroonNorthCOUG

Do not change it, stay with your M-I roots. That way shows loyalty to them and you won't need to keep reminding folks who you were in your previous life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT