ADVERTISEMENT

Jaylen Wells?

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Aug 24, 2022
Couple of recent links below on Jaylen Wells. Of course we all assume he's gone, but what is doesn't get drafted, or is low low second round?

The second link is a bit dated, but note that they project Isaac Jones at #58.

Another one that shows him as undrafted.....

Wells could come back to college if he’s not drafted. He attended the NBA combine and has to have kept his “college eligibility” intact whatever that means these days.

If he’s drafted his college eligibility is done.

Wells could come back to college if he’s not drafted. He attended the NBA combine and has to have kept his “college eligibility” intact whatever that means these days.

If he’s drafted his college eligibility is done.
Yes we are all aware that Wells went to the combine. Funny rules around all this. He can withdraw from the draft and retain his last year of college eligibility. And yes you are correct that even if he does not withdraw, if undrafted in June he can still come back. I don't know what a late second round draftee commands, salary-wise, but that will be a white knuckle day for Wells. What we could hope for is that he gets good advice (and no not from some leach agent). If it appears that we will be drafted very low or not at all, then maybe he pulls out next week and returns to rip up the WCC, maybe beat Gonzaga and position himself well for a better draft standing. We can always hope. No idea what undrafted free agent money looks like. I would assume that WSU has offered Wells a chunk of NIL money. Can't compete with other schools on this, but hey $30K plus scholarship would make for a comfortable year in Pullman.

Yes we are all aware that Wells went to the combine. Funny rules around all this. He can withdraw from the draft and retain his last year of college eligibility. And yes you are correct that even if he does not withdraw, if undrafted in June he can still come back. I don't know what a late second round draftee commands, salary-wise, but that will be a white knuckle day for Wells. What we could hope for is that he gets good advice (and no not from some leach agent). If it appears that we will be drafted very low or not at all, then maybe he pulls out next week and returns to rip up the WCC, maybe beat Gonzaga and position himself well for a better draft standing. We can always hope. No idea what undrafted free agent money looks like. I would assume that WSU has offered Wells a chunk of NIL money. Can't compete with other schools on this, but hey $30K plus scholarship would make for a comfortable year in Pullman.
I included Wells going to the combine because that's part of the criteria for undrafted players retaining their college eligibility. Seemed like you were asking a question given the question mark, but maybe not?

Second round money seems difficult to predict. Gueye received $7.6 million over 4 years. CJ Elleby signed a 2-year $2.4 million deal. No idea whether Wells can get that kind of pre-draft commitment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT