ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle Williams entering the portal

Looks like Kyle Williams got his number and hit the bid.

Wonder how much he’s getting?

Thanks for the memories, Kyle!

Good luck in the future!

I hate this ability to transfer, but I get it.

It'd be nice if they could figure out a way better to stay at a school for 4 years, but again... I get it.

Contracts need to happen from the get go is the only solution I can see. Real College athletics is gone

Reactions: LeachPack
As I suspected. These guys are now getting calls as programs with NIL money have whiffed on the top guys on their list and are working their way down. Expect more of this to come, the idea that we were only losing a few guys was laughable.

not as much faith in Mateer as there is on these boards it would appear...
Does a grownup need to explain to you how the world works?

Show Me The Money GIF

I just read about how this happened. Williams was able to transfer because the NCAA dropped their one transfer before graduation without penalty rule. What a crock of shit. Zero rules for this nonsense.

I just read about how this happened. Williams was able to transfer because the NCAA dropped their one transfer before graduation without penalty rule. What a crock of shit. Zero rules for this nonsense.
They dropped the rule because a court ruled that it likely violates anti-trust laws. Which seems like utter horseshit to me, especially when players are now getting paid to play.

Reactions: Coug90
They dropped the rule because a court ruled that it likely violates anti-trust laws. Which seems like utter horseshit to me, especially when players are now getting paid to play.
Unfortunately, it does violate anti-trust laws, as other students can transfer as many times as they want.

Reactions: LeachPack
I hate this ability to transfer, but I get it.

It'd be nice if they could figure out a way better to stay at a school for 4 years, but again... I get it.

Contracts need to happen from the get go is the only solution I can see. Real College athletics is gone
This will be the only way to get these players to stay. Have them sign a 4 year contract laced with incentives for each year and include a massive buyout clause for any school looking to come poach.

This will be the only way to get these players to stay. Have them sign a 4 year contract laced with incentives for each year and include a massive buyout clause for any school looking to come poach.
Have to include some performance standards too, to make it reasonable.

It’ll end up turning players into employees, which has other ripple effects, but seems like the way things need to go.

Unfortunately, it does violate anti-trust laws, as other students can transfer as many times as they want.
Athletes can transfer as many times as they want as well. They just couldn't compete without sitting out a year on a second transfer. The irony in all of this is it is building a case for the courts to say these aren't really students they are employees.

Have to include some performance standards too, to make it reasonable.

It’ll end up turning players into employees, which has other ripple effects, but seems like the way things need to go.
I'd say more like a Tidal Effect. All it takes is one player to sue and the courts to agree they need to be treated as an employee. Then what? Well look to the other student athletes in other sports such as Rowing, Track, Tennis etc to bring a suit to demand their status to equal that of the football team. And just like that, college athletics no longer exists.

I'd say more like a Tidal Effect. All it takes is one player to sue and the courts to agree they need to be treated as an employee. Then what? Well look to the other student athletes in other sports such as Rowing, Track, Tennis etc to bring a suit to demand their status to equal that of the football team. And just like that, college athletics no longer exists.t
I agree, I have wondered about the other sports not getting the same treatment ever since pay for play was first proposed

I agree, I have wondered about the other sports not getting the same treatment ever since pay for play was first proposed
well, due to the USWNT winning their suit, you're going to see women's non-revenue sport "X" get paid $150k per season just like the football players. Or whatever the amount is.

Long story short - if there is a way to screw this up any further than it already is, the NCAA will figure it out, and the quickest way to that destination is to make players employees.

well, due to the USWNT winning their suit, you're going to see women's non-revenue sport "X" get paid $150k per season just like the football players. Or whatever the amount is.

Long story short - if there is a way to screw this up any further than it already is, the NCAA will figure it out, and the quickest way to that destination is to make players employees.
What is the ncaa supposed to do? They have been sued into irrelevance, anything they would do will be challenged in court. Blame greed

NIL is independent of the ncaa
this.

keep it that way. don't have schools pay athletes. non-revenue athletes are already a drain on school coffers, and in a paycheck and you've just made it worse. Unless there is an opt-out it would literally shut down smaller school athletics.

Yeah, it’s a mess. The only way for schools to clamp down on the free transfers is to put athletes on contract, and move them toward being employees. But if they do that, Title IX kicks in and they have to pay all athletes the same. They can’t internalize NIL for the same reason.

It might arrive at a place where the best thing for the schools is to externalize athletics entirely. I’m not sure exactly what that looks like, but somehow it would allow an outside entity to manage the team operations, lease the facilities, license the logos and mascots, and draw players from the student body. That entity could also manage NIL, but still fall outside of Title IX. It’d take some detailed lawyering to set up, but there’s enough money involved that someone will work for it.

Or, schools could just drop athletics and turn to robust intramurals and club sports.

Cougfan continues to be a joke.

Their all in backing of shirtless Brink, Wulff & attacks on Leach were proof

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT