ADVERTISEMENT

Last 2 Leach press conferences

I've also found it amusing when people say message boards like this have no impact on recruiting. Let's say you're a dad of a legitimate Pac-12 recruit. I'm not talking about a helicopter parent or anything, just a normal dad who has some modicum of concern for where your kid is going to attend college. Your kid is deciding between a few programs. You really wouldn't at least, as part of checking things out, poke around on some free message boards to get a feel for the fan base, the views on the staff, whether they think the coaches are sticking around, financial issues, fan support, issues facing the program, etc.? I would. I'd even shell out the $10/month to get the real story on some programs on the premium side, at least for a couple months.

And if you give me the "he has to be his own man" speech, I bet most recruits in that position do the same thing. Perhaps they're not joining premium message boards, but they're definitely checking out social media, and I'd bet most of them at least poke around on these boards, too.

Even if you wouldn't, I'd bet most do, and even if just a few do, it matters.

Finally, also bear in mind that stuff that originates on message boards, or is asked about by reporters working for fan sites, often makes its way into the traditional press, too, where it's given more credibility (rightly or wrongly) and gets even more eyeballs. You notice how a lot of times something will be discussed on the boards and then be brought up in an article by Blanchette (or, back in the day, Withers), right?

425 it goes both ways. If USC loses to WSU, you don't think their boards are being lit up? Arizona losing to their non conference games? UCLA? If a parent and a recruit make choices without visiting the school or listening to the sales pitch by Leach and staff, several things come to mind. Either the parents aren't very smart in the process, or the coaching staff isn't doing a very good job. If Bolton, CougEd or SpongeBob change the landscape of Cougar football we don't have a foundation worth a crap.

Fixed your post. :p

And you bring up a good point, whether you mean to or not. I have often gone to other team's boards, and found that there is no "free" board, or the one there is has basically nothing on it. And/or I need to at least register to post, and often to even read. But opposing fans come here all the time - I assume because there is no requirement to "do anything" to be able to read and post? Basically an open door for the world to see.

While I for one have pretty much have given up on WW's premium board picking up any traffic, which is too bad, if the above is accurate it does mean that keeping this board somewhat intelligent and civil is probably a good thing, recruiting-wise. So call me the board nanny all you want - it is my unwavering support for my Cougs that drives me to try to convince others to grow up and post like adults. So there.

I'm with you on this, believe me. Civility on here is a couple notches above where it was a few years ago, when the former regime was more recent and the team was going through more difficult times, but it still is pretty poor. Hope we can keep things decent.

425 it goes both ways. If USC loses to WSU, you don't think their boards are being lit up? Arizona losing to their non conference games? UCLA? If a parent and a recruit make choices without visiting the school or listening to the sales pitch by Leach and staff, several things come to mind. Either the parents aren't very smart in the process, or the coaching staff isn't doing a very good job. If Bolton, CougEd or SpongeBob change the landscape of Cougar football we don't have a foundation worth a crap.
You don't think any of us make a difference or "change the landscape"? That's the excuse of those that don't vote. By yourself, meh. You are there but are you really? Yes. You are there... really. It's a group thing. I don't think anyone is saying we are going to bring the program down by talking negatively or talking smack. That doesn't mean you don't speak with control and recognize your influence and your ability to represent WSU (because you are a Coug and by definition ARE representing a segment of our community. Like it or not, doesn't matter).

Example: At my work place, I don't allow rumor mills or that stereotypical pot stirrer. You go out to smoke and talk badly about management, the project or whatever, you have 1 warning. One person can poison the well. One person starts talking sh!t, others start. Pot stirrers and such breed more of them. If you have a problem with me as a superior, come to me, lets talk. But rumor can completely undercut the vision and everything you're trying to grow. One person can and does make a difference.

Same with this stuff. No, no one is saying 1 "dissenter" is bringing down the WSU program. Hyperbole is not needed here and your statement suggests such. But to think this site isn't read by some and it doesn't influence others, is ridiculous. It just is. IN a very generic sense, everyone influences. If you're questioning how much?! Seeing how there are only 3 sites for this kind of thing, I'd say a decent amount of influence. Not that many places to go.

And it's a known factor. As I've pointed out, many programs have "plants" in them to help gauge the community and to steer conversations down a different path. Just THAT is an influence. Over the past several decades, I've heard players talk about these sites. Most of the time its, "We can't read that stuff. We stay internal. We stay true to ourselves" kind of thing. They read it, no doubt. When you KNOW how much the kids read it, enlighten us. Then, when you KNOW how much the reading influences them, let us all know. But all the signs are there. Also, the program at least keeps tabs on these sites. I've seen coaches of this program, this year, re-tweet stories from these sites. Make no mistake. These things are read.

It is working to a point. They are clearly beating all of the teams that they should beat in conference and out of conference. Where it is not working is when they get a match-up where they do not have the upper hand on the lines. Because of the way they play all through the season, when they get up against other teams where they can just not over power like Alabama, Penn State and Auburn they do not have the capability for another gear in their offense to get those teams off balance .

Alabama has the best strength coach in the nation. They are brutally powerful in both their offensive and defensive front players, backs and linebackers included.

There is no one in the PAC 12 ready to match up with them. They haven’t done the work in the weight room.

Reactions: PatBaum
Etown....can you produce the gleeful tweet out Terry? I know this probably is a fine line, but are you upset with the tweet of Terry not coming to WSU, or the tone in which it was delivered.

They had previously reported behind a paywall Victor Terry didn't sign on the early signing day because of his grades. No reason to tweet out his decommitment with a link to the story unless they were valuing clicks. This wasn't news, but it did take place after a few of the coaches left and it fit with the sky is falling narrative CFC pushed this offseason.

Ed, I think you may be missing the point and throwing out a couple of straw men.

First, I didn't say our opponents wouldn't have people on their boards having discussions that aren't ideal for recruiting. All fan bases gripe, especially when things aren't going well or after bad losses. That said, I think (i) the managers of some programs' fora are smarter about this than others (consider, e.g., Dawgman on Brand X -- loathe them or not, they do a good job of keeping dirty laundry and complaints from getting too much ink on the forums or otherwise) and (ii) you must distinguish between typical griping about bad losses, a coach with a bad record, etc., on the one hand, vs. other stuff that makes the school, program, or its fan base look bad for no reason. Don't want to make this a novel, so I won't get into examples, but I think we all know, or should know, what I'm referring to.

Second -- I've written this so many times that I feel like I should just keep a copy and paste it periodically -- but the issue isn't whether a recruit or parent would base a decision on a post by SpongeBob, a random tweet, or something similar, as you state. Of course that would be ridiculous. I get incredibly tired of that straw man being tossed out.

On the contrary, we're in a situation in which all Pac-12 programs have a good sales pitch. They all can tout good facilities, opportunities to play in the NFL, a good coaching staff, a purported "family" environment, opportunities to play early, at least decent (if not better) academics, a good location to spend 3-5 years, and so on. At best, WSU is equal to other schools on most of these metrics, and realistically, it lags other schools in some others. When you're 17 years old and a bunch of coaches are calling and texting you to sell you things that are the same, basically, it's hard to distinguish between the offerings. If you have five schools that all are Pac-12 quality and all are solid, what do you do? At some point, you look to reasons to cut schools from your list, either actively, as a choice, or due to your gut, feelings, subjective impressions, or whatever. In this latter respect, especially, all of this stuff that people say "doesn't matter" (negative news stories on the coach, social media, stuff on message boards, etc.) really does matter. So no, you're never going to hear Johnny Five Star say "I cut WSU from my list because of a post on WazzuWatch," but you'll see him quite often say something about cutting a school (or choosing another one) due to his gut or "feelings," and those are created by the impressions gathered from various inputs, including social media, peers, etc.

They had previously reported behind a paywall Victor Terry didn't sign on the early signing day because of his grades. No reason to tweet out his decommitment with a link to the story unless they were valuing clicks. This wasn't news, but it did take place after a few of the coaches left and it fit with the sky is falling narrative CFC pushed this offseason.
I guess where I have the problem is should they be tweeting out when Victor made the commitment? As people who put on the news, are you saying if it is not advantageous for the program the info should not be shared? Wouldn't the info come out why he didn't sign with us or anyone else?

I would hope Cougfan and their 20 years experience realize there is no falling sky. If I were to mention Black Wednesday circa March 1996 would you know what I am referring to? It was to be the downfall of the Cougar program. The day when fans discovered that not everyone was happy in the program. It was suppose to be the start of the end for Price.

Last edited:
You don't think any of us make a difference or "change the landscape"? That's the excuse of those that don't vote. By yourself, meh. You are there but are you really? Yes. You are there... really. It's a group thing. I don't think anyone is saying we are going to bring the program down by talking negatively or talking smack. That doesn't mean you don't speak with control and recognize your influence and your ability to represent WSU (because you are a Coug and by definition ARE representing a segment of our community. Like it or not, doesn't matter).

Example: At my work place, I don't allow rumor mills or that stereotypical pot stirrer. You go out to smoke and talk badly about management, the project or whatever, you have 1 warning. One person can poison the well. One person starts talking sh!t, others start. Pot stirrers and such breed more of them. If you have a problem with me as a superior, come to me, lets talk. But rumor can completely undercut the vision and everything you're trying to grow. One person can and does make a difference.

Same with this stuff. No, no one is saying 1 "dissenter" is bringing down the WSU program. Hyperbole is not needed here and your statement suggests such. But to think this site isn't read by some and it doesn't influence others, is ridiculous. It just is. IN a very generic sense, everyone influences. If you're questioning how much?! Seeing how there are only 3 sites for this kind of thing, I'd say a decent amount of influence. Not that many places to go.

And it's a known factor. As I've pointed out, many programs have "plants" in them to help gauge the community and to steer conversations down a different path. Just THAT is an influence. Over the past several decades, I've heard players talk about these sites. Most of the time its, "We can't read that stuff. We stay internal. We stay true to ourselves" kind of thing. They read it, no doubt. When you KNOW how much the kids read it, enlighten us. Then, when you KNOW how much the reading influences them, let us all know. But all the signs are there. Also, the program at least keeps tabs on these sites. I've seen coaches of this program, this year, re-tweet stories from these sites. Make no mistake. These things are read.

I will say it again, if Leach and others can't sell past a site that has no more than 50 posters, then we are in big trouble.

Leach is selling recruits despite the inherent disadvantages WSU has. Walden had to sell WSU despite having four coaches in four years, no real practice facility, teams that did not come to Pullman. Price had to recruit and sell at a time UW was significant, against teams whose facilities we three times what we had. Leach has to recruit against teams that have their own indoor practice facilities.

And there is the other side of the coin. Say I agree with your view that there are those who delete WSU because of a fan website of 50 people. How the hell will someone that shallow and small minded ever survive the expectations Leach puts forward?

I never said Leach wasn’t going to get it done. Go back and read those posts. I was upset that we lost, like most people. I still supported the team turning things around and believed we could make it. I even cited people like Cutcliffe/Snyder who lost to FCS teams as they rebuilt their programs.

You on the other hand were banned for threatening people.

And Paul Wulff was gone in 2012. GONE. FIRED. The support for him ends there at that second regarding WSU football. But you and your shitED brother didn’t do that now did you?

You are dog sh*t your brother is dog sh*t your family is dog sh*t and everyone knows it. You act like losers you talk like losers and you have undying love for losers.
Good god...who raised you?

You post crap like this that you would never in your life say to me in person...then cry like a little girl when I ask you to meet me in person.

As for supporting Paul Wulff, you and the cirlce jerk crew who have no social life mist have conjured that up during one of the your Friday night hat sessions.

You can scan through all of my posts and you will never find me saying I wish we had Wulff or that he didn't need to go.

I don't even have any idea what he is up to these days. I just with him the best and hope he finds happiness.

Maybe when you get older, you will see that football is just a game and there is more to life than Cougar football.

Until then, you are the Harvey Updyke of Cougar Football.

Last edited:
I will say it again, if Leach and others can't sell past a site that has no more than 50 posters, then we are in big trouble.

Leach is selling recruits despite the inherent disadvantages WSU has. Walden had to sell WSU despite having four coaches in four years, no real practice facility, teams that did not come to Pullman. Price had to recruit and sell at a time UW was significant, against teams whose facilities we three times what we had. Leach has to recruit against teams that have their own indoor practice facilities.

And there is the other side of the coin. Say I agree with your view that there are those who delete WSU because of a fan website of 50 people. How the hell will someone that shallow and small minded ever survive the expectations Leach puts forward?
Why is always an extreme choice for you? Do you really think I'm trying to say because you and I have a certain view, post them on this site, that we can swing the world any way we want? ? Or at least the WSU world? We can make a recruit change his mind from Alabama to WSU? NO E.D.!

I explained in depth, it isn't about getting a specific outcome. It's about vaguely steering an outcome to a generic path. It's called "influencers". It's literally a job. A paying job that if done well, is payed very well. I just hired a firm out of Spokane that is doing some logo work for us... and guess what they do, as well? "Influence". You're playing an "all or nothing" game. And that's not the game, at all.

And to think that this site, and others, don't influence... is silly. Even the coaches on WSU's program, this year, re-tweet articles from this and other sites, because they know the POSITIVE stuff influences recruits. Why wouldn't the negative? Are you calling our coaches stupid because they think the positive stuff influences recruits? Are we in "big trouble" because they link that stuff in hopes of influencing them in a positive light? Should we see if Alabama tries this, to influence? Are they wasting their time? You should go look at how fast stuff gets re-tweeted by not only the coaches but the players/recruits. You are talking about stuff you apparently have zero knowledge of.

So to take it to another area but same concept. You're in the airport, top-to-bottom wearing WSU gear. You're walking through Seatac, smacking the back of the head of every old lady you see. If they have Ewe gear, you buckle the back of their knees so they fall on the ground. First time, you're just an idiot. You do that once a month, same scenario until you're kicked out, handcuffed. Are you making WSU look bad? Do you think that doesn't influence those around you? It's not a lot of people that see you... Maybe 50 people even recognize what happened. You're just one person, right? WSU isn't like that, right? But are you making WSU look bad? Hell yeah. Same for these articles.

Reactions: Cougatron

You post crap like this that you would never in your life say to me in person...then cry like a little girl when I ask you to meet me in person.

As for supporting Paul Wulff, you and the cirlce jerk crew who have no social life mist have conjured that up during one of the your Friday night hat sessions.

You can scan through all of my posts and you will never find me saying I wish we had Wulff or that he didn't need to go.

I don't even have any idea what he is up to these days. I just with him the best and hope he finds happiness.

Maybe when you get older, you will see that football is just a game and there is more to life than Cougar football.

Until then, you are the Harvey Updyke of Cougar Football.

Hahahaha....

Actually you threatened people on here so YOU are the Harvey Updyke.

Well like a mentally challenged version. Updyke at least rooted for Alabama instead of against it.

Would you buy a house from a seller who told you everything remotely negative about the house? Or would you think to yourself it's got to be so much worse than they are telling me? Certainly the glowing sales pitches given by other homeowners would look better in comparison.

It's hard enough to win in Pullman without adding to the difficulty. Why any fan or fansite would try to make it harder is beyond me.

Why is always an extreme choice for you? Do you really think I'm trying to say because you and I have a certain view, post them on this site, that we can swing the world any way we want? ? Or at least the WSU world? We can make a recruit change his mind from Alabama to WSU? NO E.D.!

I explained in depth, it isn't about getting a specific outcome. It's about vaguely steering an outcome to a generic path. It's called "influencers". It's literally a job. A paying job that if done well, is payed very well. I just hired a firm out of Spokane that is doing some logo work for us... and guess what they do, as well? "Influence". You're playing an "all or nothing" game. And that's not the game, at all.

And to think that this site, and others, don't influence... is silly. Even the coaches on WSU's program, this year, re-tweet articles from this and other sites, because they know the POSITIVE stuff influences recruits. Why wouldn't the negative? Are you calling our coaches stupid because they think the positive stuff influences recruits? Are we in "big trouble" because they link that stuff in hopes of influencing them in a positive light? Should we see if Alabama tries this, to influence? Are they wasting their time? You should go look at how fast stuff gets re-tweeted by not only the coaches but the players/recruits. You are talking about stuff you apparently have zero knowledge of.

So to take it to another area but same concept. You're in the airport, top-to-bottom wearing WSU gear. You're walking through Seatac, smacking the back of the head of every old lady you see. If they have Ewe gear, you buckle the back of their knees so they fall on the ground. First time, you're just an idiot. You do that once a month, same scenario. Are you making WSU look bad? Do you think that doesn't influence those around you? It's not a lot of people that see you... Maybe 50 people even recognize what happened. You're just one person, right? WSU isn't like that, right? But are you making WSU look bad? Hell yeah. Same for these articles.

No...I am playing a nothing game. These fan sites are given access (or use to anyways) because they are news organizations. They have credentials. while they serve the public for the Cougs and can still cheer on the Cougs, they still in my opinion owe it to be honest. Should they run or not run the Gesser story cause it makes WSU look bad. They HAVE to run it. It will come out. Just as it did. It is a far worse look on a school paper, their fan site and especially administration if the Gesser stuff happened, they choose not to report it or sweep it under the carpet with a lame investigation. They are much better in handling it head on.

The example of hitting people head is understood. We get hit in the head all the time in the Puget Sound area how the school is sub par, the education is less than other schools and all we do is party.

I have close friends whose kids are now college bound. They always ask me about WSU. When the kid fell out of the dorm a close friend of mine almost pulled their freshman daughter out of school.

I tell them something concrete. I tell them the truth. WSU isn't for everyone. I tell them outside my kids WSU is the best thing that ever happened to me. I do tell them yes I did party. I also told them it is about choices.

And finally I tell them five of my friends and my roommate who attended WSU were retired by the age of 55. I tell them all the time WSU prepares kids in teh best of ways for the real world.

So yeah people are gonna see negative stuff all the time. And those influenced by what people read as negative, then so be it. They aren't Coug worthy.

OH! I was looking through my twitter timeline to look for examples of the above... which by the way isn't hard to find. Want links, I can do that, E.D.. Any who... Came across another example for you. When a recruit sees Brand X or this sites article on their commitment to WSU... Meaning these sites do a quick blip article on the recruit committing to WSU... and they "pin" that article to the top of their timeline. They wait for these sites to publish their commitment, so they can re-tweet it. And then it's at the top of their timeline until they take it down (in case you don't have a twitter account and don't know what I'm talking about, I'm explaining it in depth). They are permanently putting the article's from these sites, on their twitter timeline, for the world to see these articles from these sites... weird. But that would mean these sites carry weight... or something.

Would you buy a house from a seller who told you everything remotely negative about the house? Or would you think to yourself it's got to be so much worse than they are telling me? Certainly the glowing sales pitches given by other homeowners would look better in comparison.

It's hard enough to win in Pullman without adding to the difficulty. Why any fan or fansite would try to make it harder is beyond me.

Or, to take another example, you're on a used car lot and like a few different cars. The salesmen have told you all about how great they all are, and you like all of them. They all have positive attributes you like and you think they're all pretty good. Your old car gave up the ghost and it's time for you to buy one there at that time, or at least to eliminate a couple from consideration.

You check out their owner forums online. Two of them seem pretty mundane, with some posts asking about car meetup groups in certain areas, asking about used parts, or whatever. There are a couple people complaining about maintenance issues or a recall, but it doesn't look like anything too bad. The posters generally seem like people you would want to associate with, or perhaps even emulate, if you were to admit it to yourself.

Then you go to the forum for the final car make. It isn't quite as good as the others in some ways, and you know it will be a tougher ride, but you like a couple aspects of it and have a connection with the salesperson. It will require you to drive an hour and a half to get maintenance, rather than the others that are down the street.

This last maker has a bunch of people trashing the car, saying that the manufacturer probably is going to go under (even though the poster lacks the foundation to make that assertion), its owners looking like people you don't want to associate with (whether due to their apparent station in life, their behavior, etc.), scores of half-wits arguing about whether the car sucks, people threatening to meet others offline or giving them crap about things that can only be gathered from stalker-level info, and half the posts talking about aspects about how mediocre the car is and pining for the former CEO, with the other half saying the former CEO was the worst in history and ruined the brand forever. Three threads talk about how the brand had a bad survey and another one talks about their subjective view that owning the car company is doomed to fail, no matter what the current leadership does, because it's in a location that doesn't allow it to be competitive.

Is there one of these that you might be less likely to buy? I can think of one. I wouldn't say "I didn't buy X because its owners on a car owners forum were douchebags and the tone there seemed to indicate generally that the car manufacturer had a lot of problems," but that would be a major contributor.

Cause the fan sites have to be journalists as well. Some take it more seriously than others.

Would I buy a home from a negative seller? What can I get the price down to? And I would have my inspector check out the property.

But Cougfan isn't the seller. They maybe the nosey neighbor.

Not to interrupt, but I have lost track of what you guys are even talking about in this thread. And this is kind of dumb, but what does the term "straw man" mean and where does it come from? Is it actually from the Wizard of OZ?

Cause the fan sites have to be journalists as well. Some take it more seriously than others.

Would I buy a home from a negative seller? What can I get the price down to? And I would have my inspector check out the property.

But Cougfan isn't the seller. They maybe the nosey neighbor.

I think the point I was trying to make was clear. Though the nosey neighbor coming over and trashing the house certainly would lower the perceived value of the house.

Ironically, Cougfan didn't do much on the Gesser front aside from accusing Farkas of swiftboating him. Wasn't until an actual accuser stepped forward they got quiet. When he stepped down they cheered the move. Of course, I think this is the right course of action. Prior to a victim coming forward, why stir the pot? But Gesser was one of the good ole boys, so he was going to get the benefit of the doubt.

Running a front page article saying Brock Huard was reporting Grinch gone to an SEC school was complete BS. I called them out on this, they acted indignant claiming journalistic integrity demanded they cover it, and it turns out Grinch left for Ohio St (which isn't an SEC school).

Here is my rule of thumb for fansites. I don't care if you are wrong or early on good news. I don't care if you are late reporting bad news. If you get major details about bad news, or report bad news early and it doesn't come to pass (like Leach to Tennessee) I get pissed. I hold them, not their sources, wrong for this.

I think the point I was trying to make was clear. Though the nosey neighbor coming over and trashing the house certainly would lower the perceived value of the house.

Ironically, Cougfan didn't do much on the Gesser front aside from accusing Farkas of swiftboating him. Wasn't until an actual accuser stepped forward they got quiet. When he stepped down they cheered the move. Of course, I think this is the right course of action. Prior to a victim coming forward, why stir the pot? But Gesser was one of the good ole boys, so he was going to get the benefit of the doubt.

Running a front page article saying Brock Huard was reporting Grinch gone to an SEC school was complete BS. I called them out on this, they acted indignant claiming journalistic integrity demanded they cover it, and it turns out Grinch left for Ohio St (which isn't an SEC school).

Here is my rule of thumb for fansites. I don't care if you are wrong or early on good news. I don't care if you are late reporting bad news. If you get major details about bad news, or report bad news early and it doesn't come to pass (like Leach to Tennessee) I get pissed. I hold them, not their sources, wrong for this.

Well...being in the real estate biz the nosey neighbor has meant crap in the market. And if someone is truly serious about WSU they would investigate the nosey neighbor and see if they are lAgnus Kravitz or legit complaints. .

I guess I don't get the uproar of the story Cfan ran on Grinch. He did leave. The story was correct in that he was leaving, just incorrect to where.

Bruce Feldman was the person who broke the Tennessee story. Feldman I am sure had inside knowledge and he ran the tweet with Leach's approval.

And in the end we had what appears to be a very good recruiting class.

Unio then, you are the Harvey Updyke of Cougar Football.
Hahahaha....

Actually you threatened people on here so YOU are the Harvey Updyke.

Well like a mentally challenged version. Updyke at least rooted for Alabama instead of against it.

You are delusional.

YOU are the one who rooted against WSU (when Wulff) was the coach, not me.

And yes, I will continue to threaten you if you bring my family into this. No need to worry though because you are too much of a pussy to meet in person.

You are delusional.

YOU are the one who rooted against WSU (when Wulff) was the coach, not me.

And yes, I will continue to threaten you if you bring my family into this. No need to worry though because you are too much of a pussy to meet in person.

No I didn’t. There isn’t a post anywhere dissing Wulff publically. You see I at least wait till after he was fired to publically voice my displeasure with him. He was the worst coach in WSU football history and I at least had the common decency to not bash him publically until after his embarrassing tenure was over.

You are a joke like your family, and you are pathetic like your family, and much like your long line of genetic failures you are proving to keep the failure train rolling.

No I didn’t. There isn’t a post anywhere dissing Wulff publically. You see I at least wait till after he was fired to publically voice my displeasure with him. He was the worst coach in WSU football history and I at least had the common decency to not bash him publically until after his embarrassing tenure was over..
Why? (Please explain)
Wulff got two extra years (arguably three extra years) because folks were silent.
He got $3 million out of this

Why? (Please explain)
Wulff got two extra years (arguably three extra years) because folks were silent.

I personally don't like calling for a coach to be fired. I sent private emails to individuals voicing my displeasure, but I wouldn't bash Wulff publically because to me it was like kicking a crippled puppy when it was down. I made it very clear to Moos and others that I wasn't going to support WSU athletics until there was a serious change in a positive direction. Later I was informed that change was happening and I waited until after Wulff was fired. I did that out of respect for the program because I really love the school and the program.

I told them after the second year that we needed to go another direction so I was involved early saying this was a bad bad idea, but the problem was we didn't have the financing for a new coach, and because Paul was an alum, and because of Walden etc. etc. It was just a mess.

See the whole thing started with Wulff being hired in the first place. I did not want him, and when Doba was going to leave a few of us Cougs went to try and lobby to get James Franklin. At that time in 2007 Franklin was the OC at K-State and we knew he was going to be a HC somewhere soon. His wife is a Coug, he was a GA for us, and we could have gotten him easily. VERY easily. So we were putting together people to push for Franklin to interview and get the job, but before that could happen Walden and some real stupid Cougs started to call EVERYBODY about Wulff and lobby for Wulff and all this other crap.

We basically got Railroaded by the Walden led "Wulff hype train", and so we never got James an interview for the job.
Franklin was an ace recruiter, a great offensive mind, he had WSU ties, his wife was a Coug, we were in. We had him, and Wulff Wulff Wulff. "We won't have to pay him much and all this blah blah blah"

Truth is we wouldn't have had to pay Franklin much either. Franklin was paid I think 1.8 for his first year coaching at Vanderbilt in 2011. Probably could have got him for 1mill in 2008 for his first head coaching gig.

Wulff was paid 600k. And so there was no real way for us to stop the "Wulff train" with a dirt cheap salary and blowhard Walden.

If I and others had moved on Moos and the Admin to fire Wulff after the second year it would have been ugly. Especially with Walden his protector hanging around. That's the problem when you hire Alumni and have blowhard idiots put their tentacles all over the program. It's just a total and complete mess to remove things. There is no "clean break" after a disaster.

Colorado did the best I had ever seen with getting rid of Embree after two years. Similar situation with an alum. but still WSU internally was way too week to remove the parasites that was Wulff/Walden. It would have been messy and without the Pac-12 funding yet there was no way to do it early on. We were stuck so kept quiet.

Once Moos knew the Pac-12 money was sealed. This was around May of 2011 it was quietly discussed that we had the money to get rid of these problems and get a real coach. So Wulff got a 4th year in 2011 to "convince otherwise" but of course it was a failure (as always).

And Moos was already in Key West to bring the Pirate Mike Leach out of exhile and back to College Football. The deal was done, Wulff finished the season in typical no bowl game fashion and thus the "purging" of the Wulff/Waldenites began.

And despite Moos trying to do it in a classy way Wulff/Walden proved to be anything but classy. Walden went on every single radio show that would have him squawking about how we all were stupid and Wulff this and Wulff that. Wulff threw a tantrum and whined at his press conference about "losing our innocence"., (See how this was messy after 4 years... imagine 2) but finally Wulff was kicked out and Walden shortly after and finally WSU could move forward and start winning as opposed to being some sort of obnoxious loser washed out coach shelter.

The Cougar Football project was underway and all Leach had to do was deliver and rebuild one of the worst and furthest behind programs in all of the BCS. And he did it. It took him 2 years to a bowl 4 for a winning record and bowl win but he got it done, but still we had some of the most obnoxious deadweight doucheCougs trashing him and the program every step of the way because they opined for their lovable loser Wulff and Walden and "doing it the right way".

That way of course was being losers, and I am just glad it is all over and very much would like to put it behind us forever, but some of the dregs like to hang around and act pissy.

Why? (Please explain)

WSU did the right thing in giving Wulff four years. They did the right thing when they fired him. I keep hearing about our fans being silent about Wulff's tenure and other people saying that Coug fans were losers who were happy with losing and didn't care. I heard plenty of griping back then and the 15-20,000 empty seats per game in 2011 tells me that Coug fans were not sitting in their seats grinning like fools about how great it was to be losing. Wulff needed to be fired after the 2011 season and he was. Coug fans spoke with their wallets and plenty of fans let Moos know that it was time for Wulff to go.

Why? (Please explain)

Coach T was made a millionaire. He was paid life course changing, generational wealth creating money. In return he burned WSU to the ground.

He should be barred from coaching.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT