ADVERTISEMENT

Leach a candidate for....

Finger, was Chinook the only person you read that thought they should bench Falk after the first game?
Nope, but he is the one going on these wild mood swings of "f**k everybody"/Falk sucks, to happy-happy-joy-joy/"get on the cougar bus and have a blast!!!!!!!!!!!!"/Falk is the greatest QB in the world, and suggesting that he's the only person in the world that appreciates the job the team and Leach is doing one week while blasting them the week prior. I find it a bit neurotic, to say the least.

just thought I'd start preparing everyone for the inevitable "Leach is a candidate for the _________ job" rumors.

Get ready, here it comes.
Never say never, but at the very least he can use these other schools as leverage for a pay raise. That is the way the business works.

Only you (and probably your two friends on this board) think you are winning this argument. The rest just think you are being silly.
Chinook has two friends on the board? Does that make you and whoever friends because you share a point of view?

I have two friends who comes on this board every once in awhile.

Nope, but he is the one going on these wild mood swings of "f**k everybody"/Falk sucks, to happy-happy-joy-joy/"get on the cougar bus and have a blast!!!!!!!!!!!!"/Falk is the greatest QB in the world, and suggesting that he's the only person in the world that appreciates the job the team and Leach is doing one week while blasting them the week prior. I find it a bit neurotic, to say the least.
You care he has mild mood swings? Do you truly doubt he is enjoying himself being 6-3 and that he follows and supports the Cougs?

Never say never, but at the very least he can use these other schools as leverage for a pay raise. That is the way the business works.
I would imagine Moos tears up this deal and pays him over 4, giving him what Sark was making or close to it.

Ed, what's this one school you believe Leach would leave for? If I had to guess, I'd say it's Oklahoma (not that I buy that he'd leave for there, necessarily).

Ed, what's this one school you believe Leach would leave for? If I had to guess, I'd say it's Oklahoma (not that I buy that he'd leave for there, necessarily).
425...A couple of things. I should retract the "one" school post as it wasn't intended for people to guess, but rather be assured he loves it in Pullman. Let me be clear I don't believe he has ever told anyone of a "dream job", but rather I think it would be safe to say he has a respect for a university but no further than that.

Oklahoma? Kevin Durant's leaving so what else is there in that town :) If I were to guess I would have guessed as Scott did- BYU, Miami (close to home) and maybe like Texas A and M. (totally forgot he coached for a year at OU...was he there when we played them in the Rose Bowl?)

So let me retract original comment and say what I know for sure, he loves Pullman and it would shock me to see him leave within the next five years.

It vexes me...I'm terribly vexed.
Well, I have been vexed, but it would have happened at the Coug or campus Cavern (now Vahalla) and it was never by someone who looked like Chinook. :)

Last edited:
What I mean is what we offer with Moos the freedom to run the program exactly his way without any bureaucracy. That's pretty rare, and I'm sure Leach knows that. It would have to be a pretty tremendous setup to trump what we are offering him. Good salary. Good Administration. etc. that's hard to beat.

That, and guaranteed rollover contracts don't grow on trees.

Yea, a program like OU, Texas or Miami could come along at some point, but are they willing to give him that kind of guarantee? I kind of doubt it.

Leach's contract and the situation in Pullman make it a unique scenario and one where I would think he is relatively tough to pry away.

That, and guaranteed rollover contracts don't grow on trees.

Yea, a program like OU, Texas or Miami could come along at some point, but are they willing to give him that kind of guarantee? I kind of doubt it.

Leach's contract and the situation in Pullman make it a unique scenario and one where I would think he is relatively tough to pry away.

I would think there is a two key elements to it. How long Moos is around. The second is who becomes Moos' boss. I think more than anything way down the road could impact things. But my guess is Moos is proactive and gives him more money without Leach asking for it and gives Leach zero reason to sniff around or even field a call from an unknown caller.

What's interesting is that the two names I've seen bandied about as going outside the Pac for jobs are RichRod (closer to home, good options available) and... Sonny Dykes. Refers to the culture issues at Cal- evidently, still not a permanent AD in place, suggests that he'd consider going sub P5 for the right job, back toward Texas.
Graham and Rodriguez I was aware of as possibly bolting to greener pastures. Hadn't heard of Dykes being unsatisfied with Cal or them with him. What have you heard? North Texas and SMU are open if my memory is correct so there may be something there if he is not a good fit at Berkeley.

Graham and Rodriguez I was aware of as possibly bolting to greener pastures. Hadn't heard of Dykes being unsatisfied with Cal or them with him. What have you heard? North Texas and SMU are open if my memory is correct so there may be something there if he is not a good fit at Berkeley.

Here's the latest on the rumors.

Sonny Dykes wants out
Source

It was an ESPN "Coaching Dominoes" article from a week ago, essentially said the tenuous situation with the AD was an issue, program sources not expecting him back next year. We'll see if there's call for a guy who built a seven win Cal team- usually has been in the past.

Tron & Wulffui: Thanks for the info. Sounds like he is on his way out.

This offseason is going to be highly entertaining with all the coaching changes. I count about a dozen current and probable openings at this time and more will undoubtedly be added at year's end.. And, of course, those HCs moving on will leave another opening and on and on. It's going to be a real scrambling mess with rumors galore, accusations, whining, exhilaration and surprises aplenty. Frankly, I am looking forward to it. Should be fun- at least for those of us not involved and for some who are involved.

And, no, I don't expect Leach to be one of those involved. At least not directly. The Cougs finish out the schedule on a winning note and I suspect a bit of leverage used by him concerning future salary. That is what happened at TT and eventually cost him his job there. Moos will be more reasonable and understanding. I think that if this comes to fruition that we can expect Leach to be equally reasonable and not overly greedy. Just offer him the going rate and he would be satisfied. TT was forced to pay him an equivalent wage to his peers, was pissed and threw a tantrum. Pullman ain't Lubbock and Moos ain't whoever Tech's AD was back then.

But all of this is in the future and hypothetical. All I can accurately predict is that it will be interesting.

"May you live in interesting times."- Chinese curse

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT