ADVERTISEMENT

Leach is #1!!!

Heard an interview with Cooper before the draft. Odd, he didn't mention Paul Wulff's name once. Talked a lot about Levy recruiting him, and talked even more about Big Joe. Not one single mention of the recruiting guru Wulff though.
And is there a point? Cooper wasn't coached by Wulff or staff. He was recruited by the staff. They were smart enough to offer him when no one else did. Turned out he was a 3rd round draft pick. Sure seems like a good read on what type of future talent he had. He sure seemed like he had a little more upside than Matt Eichlebarger.

Could be a lot of things. It does seem odd to me that HArbaugh let him bring him coffee, then when a former staff member needed an OC he contacted Wulff. Maybe he just didn't have the guts to fire him and pawned him off on someone.

Given that the "former staff member" turfed Wulff at the first chance after watching him fail miserably, this is the most cogent explanation.

Coffee- OK
Coaching- not OK

Given that the "former staff member" turfed Wulff at the first chance after watching him fail miserably, this is the most cogent explanation.

Coffee- OK
Coaching- not OK
You missed one aspect....why would he recommend to a former assistant?

You missed one aspect....why would he recommend to a former assistant?
The part I bolded, in your above statement.

Why would that "recommendation" (I don't think there actually was one) hold any water, anyways, since he didn't tap him for ANY job on his new staff?

Why would that "recommendation" (I don't think there actually was one) hold any water, anyways, since he didn't tap him for ANY job on his new staff?
Yet he hasn't had a tough time in the past getting rid of someone. Why, because he may have longer standing relationships with other since he can only have nine on his staff.

Yet he hasn't had a tough time in the past getting rid of someone. Why, because he may have longer standing relationships with other since he can only have nine on his staff.
So, is that reasoning valid for every single FBS coach? Because they also passed.

EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

So, is that reasoning valid for every single FBS coach? Because they also passed.

EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.
They passed on a lot of coaches. Much depends when you get fired, and who you know. Does that mean Russell and Volero suck? They didn't get picked up either.

I know several coaches who didn't get picked up right away. former DC for the cougs who had a great record of NFL talent at dline got fired and he missed the next season. He coached Millard, Williams, Hodges, Erik Howard. He had a great resume at Dline.

You don't think there was a recommendation? Then you are naïve. You think they post these jobs on monster.com? Most of these jobs are about connection. You think Graham Harrell got selected because he hired a head hunter to find him a job? Without even looking I would bet there is a relationship that Dennis Simmons has with someone on the Sooner staff. That is how college coaching works.

You don't think there was a recommendation? Then you are naïve. You think they post these jobs on monster.com? Most of these jobs are about connection. You think Graham Harrell got selected because he hired a head hunter to find him a job? Without even looking I would bet there is a relationship that Dennis Simmons has with someone on the Sooner staff. That is how college coaching works.

EVERY.

SINGLE.

ONE.

It's really the only response I need, until you stop carrying his water.

Nine per staff, 124 D-1 teams. That's 1116 positions that a guy who was the head coach of a PXII program three years ago didn't even get considered for. A guy who, theoretically, as a California native who recruited very heavily there, would have a built in, very valuable skill set to offer, nationwide. Instead- and these are my last words on this subject. (Don't worry, we'll have plenty of time to talk about you running the coach we have now.)

1116 Openings

EVERY.

SINGLE.

ONE.

Not even considered.

Reactions: froropmkr72
EVERY.

SINGLE.

ONE.

Nine per staff, 124 D-1 teams. That's 1116 positions that a guy who was the head coach of a PXII program three years ago didn't even get considered for. A guy who, theoretically, as a California native who recruited very heavily there, would have a built in, very valuable skill set to offer, nationwide. Instead- and these are my last words on this subject. (Don't worry, we'll have plenty of time to talk about you running the coach we have now.)

1116 Openings

EVERY.

SINGLE.

ONE.

Not even considered.

In defense of Wulff here (man, I hate typing that), there are 1116 coaching POSITIONS every year, but not 1116 job OPENINGS.

Also, he's not really a candidate for any defensive positions, probably not for any QB or WR positions either. HC, OC & OL coach are the only positions he has on his resume.

So, it's not like he was actually passed up for 1116 jobs.

EVERY.

SINGLE.

ONE.

1116 Openings

EVERY.

SINGLE.

ONE.

Not even considered.
So you are saying Mike Walker who coached Leon Bender sucked. Mike Levenseller? How about Russell and Volero?

That is not a real barometer. Didn't Leach sit out for two years? There was nothing preventing him from being hired. YEs, there was the lawsuit and maybe that causes a little irritation, but there would have been nothing preventing schools from hiring him. I think Walker was a very good coach. I think Russell is a decent coach. I don't know enough about Volero to even comment. If he never coaches again he became stale and you are correct. But what happens if Chip Kelly offers him a gig. Does that validate your point one way or another?

What if ASU hired him, does that validate my position? In two years if he is the line coach of XYZ university, does that validate what I have been saying?

So you are saying Mike Walker who coached Leon Bender sucked. Mike Levenseller? How about Russell and Volero?

That is not a real barometer. Didn't Leach sit out for two years? There was nothing preventing him from being hired. YEs, there was the lawsuit and maybe that causes a little irritation, but there would have been nothing preventing schools from hiring him. I think Walker was a very good coach. I think Russell is a decent coach. I don't know enough about Volero to even comment. If he never coaches again he became stale and you are correct. But what happens if Chip Kelly offers him a gig. Does that validate your point one way or another?

What if ASU hired him, does that validate my position? In two years if he is the line coach of XYZ university, does that validate what I have been saying?

Walker and Levenseller are/were placebound, more or less. Their wives work/worked in Pullman.

And is there a point? Cooper wasn't coached by Wulff or staff. He was recruited by the staff. They were smart enough to offer him when no one else did. Turned out he was a 3rd round draft pick. Sure seems like a good read on what type of future talent he had. He sure seemed like he had a little more upside than Matt Eichlebarger.

He apparently got a late offer from Wisconsin. But the reason he was not recruited is because of his grade situation. Wulff proved time after time that grades were not a risk he was worried about.

Reactions: YakiCoug
He apparently got a late offer from Wisconsin. But the reason he was not recruited is because of his grade situation. Wulff proved time after time that grades were not a risk he was worried about.

More often than not, Wulff's grade risks didn't pan out. Cooper was the exception, but any dolt can offer a kid in that situation. It doesn't make him the genius that Ed so wishes him to be. But we can let him dream, I suppose.

EVERY.

SINGLE.

ONE.

More often than not, Wulff's grade risks didn't pan out. Cooper was the exception, but any dolt can offer a kid in that situation. It doesn't make him the genius that Ed so wishes him to be. But we can let him dream, I suppose.
I am glad that Cooper was a grade risk, or else it would be likely that he never would have been a Cougar. He is a good kid that had a learning disability. There were elite football programs looking at him until they saw his grades.

Wulff had to take chances to get some good players. Good for Wulff that they stayed in contact with Cooper and helped him get his grades straightened out. Yes, most of the time the player with a red flag didn't turn out, the Florida LB for instance. But, it is a credit to Cooper that he was not a footnote.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT