ADVERTISEMENT

Leach takes McBath and Phelps

chugspig

Hall Of Fame
Nov 5, 2011
With him as well. Phelps is a good hire for him, he’ll recruit well down there. Cannot believe he kept McBath with him....

Glad for Phelps. Being out of a job, no fun.

Have always felt McBath undermined Claeys but that's just the feels.

Also looking like Leach is trying to hire Navy’s DC. Funny how he always targets the guys who whoop his ass.

Him and McBath go way back. Played for him, was his GA and now coach. Leach likes people he’s familiar with. Phelps is a good hire. He’s a good coach. I’m glad he got a spot. So Leach pretty much took his entire staff minus Shavers and Roc. I’ll assume Nichols will head there too. Feel bad for Roc, just moved his family from Florida to be out of a job. But that’s the way it goes.

Also looking like Leach is trying to hire Navy’s DC. Funny how he always targets the guys who whoop his ass.
Nearly identical defenses with exact same results. If they said Leach were after Rudzinski at Air Force...I'd be the same hire and a cooler name.

All good. Won't miss McBath much at all. Phelps is a good guy and by all accounts a solid technical coach, but I don't think he's irreplaceable at the least, especially when accounting for recruiting or lack thereof.

Reactions: froropmkr72
All good. Won't miss McBath much at all. Phelps is a good guy and by all accounts a solid technical coach, but I don't think he's irreplaceable at the least, especially when accounting for recruiting or lack thereof.
Yeah, he hasn't exactly been a goldmine of recruiting

I would have liked to see what McBath could have done with a few more years here. He was a Texan recruiting the Bay area, not a natural fit. By all reports the players loved him. Wouldn't be shocked to see him pull in some really nice recruits down south.

Phelps was fine. Below average recruiter above average technician. Was great to have on staff when Mastro, Manning, and Wilson could carry the recruiting burden. He'll do well in the SEC.

I would have liked to see what McBath could have done with a few more years here. He was a Texan recruiting the Bay area, not a natural fit. By all reports the players loved him. Wouldn't be shocked to see him pull in some really nice recruits down south.

Phelps was fine. Below average recruiter above average technician. Was great to have on staff when Mastro, Manning, and Wilson could carry the recruiting burden. He'll do well in the SEC.
I agree with this. I am not sure I would say not a natural fit, McBath just needed time to make connections. Manning was much better his last year than he was his first.

I agree 100% regarding Phelps.

I’m confused on the level of love that Wilson gets on here?

Our LBs have been pretty much awful during his era at WSU with zero depth. We are playing walk-ons at the Pac12 level or the backups are walk-ons. Sorry, the LB hasn’t been strong at all during the Leach era when Wilson was coaching & recruiting.

MSU should be worried taking these D coaches with them. Under performed at ever level.

I’m confused on the level of love that Wilson gets on here?

Our LBs have been pretty much awful during his era at WSU with zero depth. We are playing walk-ons at the Pac12 level or the backups are walk-ons. Sorry, the LB hasn’t been strong at all during the Leach era when Wilson was coaching & recruiting.

Good recruiter. He pulled in a top 5 recruit nationally this year at Oregon.

I don’t remember all of the guys he got, but Travion Brown was the last big name.

He always pulled a few kids from the inland empire. Players always spoke highly of him. It's not an accident that region completely dried up for us this year.

Let's not be subtle about it: Phil Knights money gets recruits more than recruiters do.
It opens doors to top recruits. But, Wilson recruited seven of their commits. Which means a few coaches likely brought 0 or 1. So yes, he is a good recruiter. He has similar numbers while he was at WSU.

He always pulled a few kids from the inland empire. Players always spoke highly of him. It's not an accident that region completely dried up for us this year.

Who ????

The LB Play has been awful

Wilson wasn’t any good

reality.... myth busted

Who ????

The LB Play has been awful

Wilson wasn’t any good

reality.... myth busted
Not really. Wilson was good. The talent level took a step back this year, but the last few years the linebackers were fine.

Just because you keep repeating this does not make it any more true.

That is not a SEC quality staff. That has always been Leach's problem. He hires his buddies. He makes lazy hires. Instead of going out and finding guys who have SE recruiting connections and can go recruit and relate well to hs prospects he just brings the boring known coaches.

Reactions: froropmkr72
That is not a SEC quality staff. That has always been Leach's problem. He hires his buddies. He makes lazy hires. Instead of going out and finding guys who have SE recruiting connections and can go recruit and relate well to hs prospects he just brings the boring known coaches.
All coaches bring in coaches that they have connections. Most will bring part of their staff, just like Rolovich is doing.

Leach brought in many coaches he had no connection with before hiring them. Just off the top of my head Salave'a, Grinch, Wilson, Belatoni, Sage, Breske, Manning, Shephard, Claeys, Phelps, Choate and Mele. There are probably a few that I am missing.

You can debate how effective each coach has been, but I don't think he is lazy at all.

Last edited:
All coaches bring in coaches that they have connections. Most will bring part of their staff, just like Rolovich is doing.

Leach brought in many coaches he had no connection with before hiring them. Just off the top of my head Salave'a, Grinch, Wilson, Belatoni, Sage, Breske, Manning, Shephard, Claeys, Phelps, Choate and Mele. There are probably a few that I am missing.

You can debate how effective each coach has been, but I don't think he is lazy at all.

And overall, pretty good for lazy hiring.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT