ADVERTISEMENT

Luani

kougkurt

Hall Of Fame
Nov 19, 2011
arrested for second degree felony assault at Pullman Dominoes at 1:30 this am His order was taking too long when he became irate and punched a student breaking his nose.

arrested for second degree felony assault at Pullman Dominoes at 1:30 this am His order was taking too long when he became irate and punched a student breaking his nose.
You. Have. Got. To. Be. Kidding…

links?

The Spokesman-Review
Wed., Aug. 24, 201670˚
chas_300x50.jpg

1. Sports
  2. Story
WEDNESDAY, AUG. 24, 2016, 10:01 A.M.
WSU safety Shalom Luani arrested for felony assault

By Jacob Thorpejacobt@spokesman.com(509) 710-8070

Washington State's Shalom Luani, left, intercepts a pass over River Cracraft during the spring game on April 23 at Joe Albi Stadium in Spokane. Luani was arrested Tuesday for second-degree assault. (Dan Pelle / DAN PELLE dpelle@spokesman.com)
PULLMAN – Washington State starting free safety Shalom Luani was arrested early Wednesday morning on the charge of breaking a man’s nose during a dispute outside Domino’s Pizza in Pullman.

Luani, a senior, was arrested and released for second degree assault, a felony charge.

According to Pullman Radio, the 22-year-old Luani became verbally abusive when his order took too long. Officers told Pullman Radio that alcohol was involved.

Luani was an honorable mention All-Pac-12 player in 2015, his first year with the Cougars.

This story will be updated as new information becomes available.

PUBLISHED: AUG. 24, 2016, 10:01 A.M.
Tags: college football, ncaa, Shalom Luani, Washington State Cougars, WSU football
Click here to comment on this story »

MOST RECENT SPORTS

Where does the money go?

sponsored You’ve probably heard of co-ops: food co-ops, childcare co-ops, housing co-ops, energy co-ops.

Follow the Spokesman wherever you are:

Subscribe
Help
Classifieds
More
Contact Us
Downtown Spokane
999 W Riverside Ave
Spokane, Wa 99201
Mailing Address
P.O. Box 2160
Spokane, WA 99210
Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(800) 338-8801
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029

2nd degree assault seems like overkill, unless there is more information. The only thing in the statute that would justify that charge is "Intentionally assaults another and thereby recklessly inflicts substantial bodily harm", which I suppose you could say is the broken nose, but if he hit him an inch to the left or right the guy has a black eye; it doesn't take much to break a nose, it what I'm saying.

In no way does that excuse him or his actions, and he needs to be pushished severely and harshly, but slapping a felony label on a young adult for fighting seems like overkill, imho. Its not like hes the guy who went Tiger Woods at the frat house fight with the Delts.

He misses the Eastern game, however I am sure it is being overblown. As I have stated for years now, happens to all the coaches. I will be honest though, normally the problems occur during the off season. Spring is notoriously bad.

I was half-way expecting another dumb incident before the season started.

2nd degree assault seems like overkill, unless there is more information. The only thing in the statute that would justify that charge is "Intentionally assaults another and thereby recklessly inflicts substantial bodily harm", which I suppose you could say is the broken nose, but if he hit him an inch to the left or right the guy has a black eye; it doesn't take much to break a nose, it what I'm saying.

In no way does that excuse him or his actions, and he needs to be pushished severely and harshly, but slapping a felony label on a young adult for fighting seems like overkill, imho. Its not like hes the guy who went Tiger Woods at the frat house fight with the Delts.

I would guess 4th degree assault in more urban areas.

Coming off the incident last month, I would not want to be in his shoes.

Rumor has it that the "victim" asked/agreed to "take it outside".

I don't know what is more stupid, the victim challenging a PAC-12 safety to a fist fight, or Luani getting in the fight in the first place....

Last edited:

I'm guessing it is reduced to 4th degree misdemeanor assault, but what is it with Cougar football players and pizza boys, from Millard to Luani? It's too bad Walden isn't around to sweep this one under the rug.

I don't know what I more stupid, the victim challenging a PAC-12 safety to a fist fight, or Luani getting in the fight in the first place....

Cooper Kupp just caught 10 more passes...

I would guess 4th degree assault in more urban areas.

Coming off the incident last month, I would not want to be in his shoes.

I wouldn't want to be in about 100 shoes, because Leach is going to punish everyone.

I don't know what I more stupid, the victim challenging a PAC-12 safety to a fist fight, or Luani getting in the fight in the first place....

Run your mouth, get hit in the nose. Happens all the time. Felony charges? Good grief.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
Times have changed. When I was growing up, the occasional fistfight and the resultant black eye, broken nose or split lip was to be expected and unworthy of judicial attention. This sort of behavior would have been filed under "boys will be boys", ignored and soon forgotten. I agree with the other comments that a felony charge is excessive. I am aware that I am an old geezer and times have passed me by but I doubt that I am that far out of step. I believe and hope that BC&G is correct and unless there is more to it that this ends up as a misdemeanor.

If I were Luani I would be more concerned about Salavea's reaction to this than that of the local magistrate. Big Joe keeps a close eye on his Polys. The prospect of a pissed off Joe dragging me by the earlobe toward the Leach Beach would frighten me more than a fine and verbal caution from some judge.

Agree with Yaki that the whole team is going to hear from the staff. A general chewing out and some rolling or running will be in order. Obviously not all of the squad got the message the first time.

Reactions: 79COUG
Times have changed. When I was growing up, the occasional fistfight and the resultant black eye, broken nose or split lip was to be expected and unworthy of judicial attention. This sort of behavior would have been filed under "boys will be boys", ignored and soon forgotten. I agree with the other comments that a felony charge is excessive. I am aware that I am an old geezer and times have passed me by but I doubt that I am that far out of step. I believe and hope that BC&G is correct and unless there is more to it that this ends up as a misdemeanor.

If I were Luani I would be more concerned about Salavea's reaction to this than that of the local magistrate. Big Joe keeps a close eye on his Polys. The prospect of a pissed off Joe dragging me by the earlobe toward the Leach Beach would frighten me more than a fine and verbal caution from some judge.

Agree with Yaki that the whole team is going to hear from the staff. A general chewing out and some rolling or running will be in order. Obviously not all of the squad got the message the first time.
So THIS is why Leach takes them to Lewiston.....
:eek:

When you were "growing up," did you see this in person???

Young men, alcohol, late nights and females present is a combustible mix.

Young men, alcohol, late nights and females present is a combustible mix.

Plus Domino's late night $8 Grab'n'Go special (large one topping). So you got a kid, drunk, with hot girls AND he is hungry? Lethal.

That line was always super long after midnight!

I don't know what is more stupid, the victim challenging a PAC-12 safety to a fist fight, or Luani getting in the fight in the first place....
Yeah, I could see a "shift manager" wanting to get a hostile customer out of the building so the other patrons aren't being affected. Easily see an employee of a restaurant asking to discuss this outside so the others aren't bothered.

Yeah, I could see a "shift manager" wanting to get a hostile customer out of the building so the other patrons aren't being affected. Easily see an employee of a restaurant asking to discuss this outside so the others aren't bothered.

Are you saying that is what happened? Were you in line and witnessed the event first hand?

"Please sir, so sorry to bother you but would you please not use foul language and kindly leave the establishment for me? Thank you so much and Go Cougs!"

*Punch*

Are you saying that is what happened? Were you in line and witnessed the event first hand?

"Please sir, so sorry to bother you but would you please not use foul language and kindly leave the establishment for me? Thank you so much and Go Cougs!"

*Punch*
No...No I wasn't. Were you? So when you heard "the Dominos employee" took it outside, you weren't there for that conversation either. No, I have a hard time believing it went down "Sir will you please leave, you are disturbing the other customers." *Punch*

My guess it was a couple of requests to leave. A "I am not leaving" or two. Let's take this outside. That is probably a little more accurate. But even if the Dominos employee "provoked" him, who has more to lose?

Last edited:
No...No I wasn't. Were you? So when you heard "the Dominos employee" took it outside, you weren't there for that conversation either.

Ah, so it was the dominoes employee now? Nooooooooooooooooooooooo one else was involved?

Seriously, why do you always have to argue? Everything you say is a direct disagreement with me or others. Get a life.

Yak-off---why would I need to think about something said in jest?

"Yak-off"? You and your retarded and banned little sis must have spent hours brainstorming to produce that one. Thanks for the chuckle.

This isn't that big of a deal. It's definitely stupid, but we've seen much much worse over the years.

Luani is incredibly a soft spoken sort of shy person. If I were to guess. He wanted his pizza. They told him it would take more time. He waited and then asked again. They were rude to him and threatened to throw him out. He punched them. Remember Luani is the guy who didn't want to even tell his teammates he was a National soccer star because he's that humble and shy in social situations. He doesn't just walk around a punch people. I am almost certain they probably mouthed off to him when he was asking what the hold up was, and well depending on what they said I'm pretty sure it was serious enough for him to hit them. Not excusing the behavior, but that's probably what happened.

Punishment. Eh he can miss the Eastern game wear some boxing gloves while delivering pizzas for dominoes around campus for the entire weekend instead. Do you want to play on the team and in the game, or run around being a punching pizza boy.

Reactions: YakiCoug
Ah, so it was the dominoes employee now? Nooooooooooooooooooooooo one else was involved?

Seriously, why do you always have to argue? Everything you say is a direct disagreement with me or others. Get a life.

Actually, one radio report suggested others, presumably non-employees, were involved, with one of them asking Luani to go outside.

Reactions: CPtheCoug
This isn't that big of a deal. It's definitely stupid, but we've seen much much worse over the years.

Luani is incredibly a soft spoken sort of shy person. If I were to guess. He wanted his pizza. They told him it would take more time. He waited and then asked again. They were rude to him and threatened to throw him out. He punched them. Remember Luani is the guy who didn't want to even tell his teammates he was a National soccer star because he's that humble and shy in social situations. He doesn't just walk around a punch people. I am almost certain they probably mouthed off to him when he was asking what the hold up was, and well depending on what they said I'm pretty sure it was serious enough for him to hit them. Not excusing the behavior, but that's probably what happened.

Punishment. Eh he can miss the Eastern game wear some boxing gloves while delivering pizzas for dominoes around campus for the entire weekend instead. Do you want to play on the team and in the game, or run around being a punching pizza boy.

I do have to ask...what qualifies as a big deal? What is the tipping point in your mind? When is a team rogue like the UW in the past and when is it just boys being boys, no big deal?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT