ADVERTISEMENT

McGuire...

CougEd

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
it is interesting he would choose to leave to take a lateral move. Leach is far from getting blown out and losing his job at wsu. Yet he chose to go home to a team that could get fired next offseason, unless he wants to be a head coach at a Lubbock High School in 2019. Interesting move.

it is interesting he would choose to leave to take a lateral move. Leach is far from getting blown out and losing his job at wsu. Yet he chose to go home to a team that could get fired next offseason, unless he wants to be a head coach at a Lubbock High School in 2019. Interesting move.

And oh what arses He and Tech are for the timing of the announcement. The afternoon of signing day ? Couldn't have waited til Friday or Monday ? Effing jerks.

It wasn't a lateral move; he was promoted to Co-OC, something that definitely wasn't ever going to happen at WSU. Probably got more money, too. Of course, he's also going back to where he (presumably) would prefer to live, close to where he grew up in Crane, TX, to his alma mater, and to work for a coach who he played with for 3 years. I heard elsewhere that his wife may have wanted to get back to Texas. I agree that there's a significant risk of Kingsbury getting canned, though, which does make this move more surprising to me than any of the others.

Reactions: CPtheCoug
It wasn't a lateral move; he was promoted to Co-OC, something that definitely wasn't ever going to happen at WSU. Probably got more money, too. Of course, he's also going back to where he (presumably) would prefer to live, close to where he grew up in Crane, TX, to his alma mater, and to work for a coach who he played with for 3 years. I heard elsewhere that his wife may have wanted to get back to Texas. I agree that there's a significant risk of Kingsbury getting canned, though, which does make this move more surprising to me than any of the others.

It's exactly this.

He's been the O-line coach for WSU for 6 years. That's a solid resume for quite some time and if he wants to move on / move forward in his career he would have to leave at some time.

6 years at 200k salary makes you worth over a million dollars. Okay so now you have financial stability, is coaching o-line at WSU your endgame? For a guy like Maguire probably not. He has to make a move at some point in time, and this gives him a slight pay raise and some extra title.

Look at all the Leach assistants now with coaching opportunities available across the country.

Lincoln Riley is at Oklahoma
Seth Litrell / Harell are at North Texas (and presumably could move up to another program)
Sonny Dykes is at SMU
Kendall Briles is OC at Houston
Josh Heupel is at UCF
Dana Holgerson is at West Virginia
Sonny Cumbie is at TCU.

etc. etc. as much as I love WSU he sort of is at the peak of what we can offer him. More 200k per year salary? That's just money, and at some point it goes beyond money.

For a guy like Mguire I see him looking at his options and saying I have done all I can do here at the moment, maybe there is more for me outside of WSU, and with how many guys are all connected to Leach in Texas / the south there are good job opportunities out there.

If his goal is to be a head coach, or an offensive coordinator he has to make a move at some point. He's coached RBs, he's coached O-line. If he can learn QB / receivers than he basically has all the ingredients to be an OC. That's what an OC is really is the management of all 4 positions, (QB/RB/WR/OL). Kingsbury is good with QBs so he can learn a year from him and what he has from Leach.

What if Harell / Litrell moves up somewhere he could hop right in and be an OL coach at a good program.

He could get an OC job at Baylor or Houston if Briles leaves or somewhere else.

The move has everything to do with opportunity.

We can offer a great opportunity at WSU, but after a while...well if you want to do other things...you gotta go elsewhere.

One difficulty with Leach being the HC, OC and QB coach is that there just isn't any way to move up the ladder besides leaving for a different school. You're kind of locked into to being a position coach, and that's as high as you will go.

One difficulty with Leach being the HC, OC and QB coach is that there just isn't any way to move up the ladder besides leaving for a different school. You're kind of locked into to being a position coach, and that's as high as you will go.
But why go to a school that the coach is on the hot seat and become a position coach? That part makes no sense.

Going from OL coach to co-OC at your alma mater isn't exactly a "lateral move". Come on Ed.

Reactions: GrayOnGray

Agreed. Same with what may be Leach's unwillingness to name (or, maybe, his lack of any real need for) BS positions like "run game coordinator," as these other programs are doing in order to be able to hang onto guys or to lure them with "promotions."

There certainly won't be a "passing game coordinator" at WSU under Leach, nor does it seem there be a "running game coordinator" if Mastro wasn't given that title.

Acknowledging the downsides, one benefit of Leach serving in all the roles he does is that he can use a presumably fixed assistant coaching budget on more needs since he wears the OC hat, in particular.

And oh what arses He and Tech are for the timing of the announcement. The afternoon of signing day ? Couldn't have waited til Friday or Monday ? Effing jerks.

I believe the announcement came after all LOIs were signed. So, could be they waited to announce it till after it would have any recruiting impact.

What do you think Kingsbury is?

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
It's exactly this.

He's been the O-line coach for WSU for 6 years. That's a solid resume for quite some time and if he wants to move on / move forward in his career he would have to leave at some time.

6 years at 200k salary makes you worth over a million dollars. Okay so now you have financial stability, is coaching o-line at WSU your endgame? For a guy like Maguire probably not. He has to make a move at some point in time, and this gives him a slight pay raise and some extra title.

Look at all the Leach assistants now with coaching opportunities available across the country.

Lincoln Riley is at Oklahoma
Seth Litrell / Harell are at North Texas (and presumably could move up to another program)
Sonny Dykes is at SMU
Kendall Briles is OC at Houston
Josh Heupel is at UCF
Dana Holgerson is at West Virginia
Sonny Cumbie is at TCU.

etc. etc. as much as I love WSU he sort of is at the peak of what we can offer him. More 200k per year salary? That's just money, and at some point it goes beyond money.

For a guy like Mguire I see him looking at his options and saying I have done all I can do here at the moment, maybe there is more for me outside of WSU, and with how many guys are all connected to Leach in Texas / the south there are good job opportunities out there.

If his goal is to be a head coach, or an offensive coordinator he has to make a move at some point. He's coached RBs, he's coached O-line. If he can learn QB / receivers than he basically has all the ingredients to be an OC. That's what an OC is really is the management of all 4 positions, (QB/RB/WR/OL). Kingsbury is good with QBs so he can learn a year from him and what he has from Leach.

What if Harell / Litrell moves up somewhere he could hop right in and be an OL coach at a good program.

He could get an OC job at Baylor or Houston if Briles leaves or somewhere else.

The move has everything to do with opportunity.

We can offer a great opportunity at WSU, but after a while...well if you want to do other things...you gotta go elsewhere.

I do not disagree with you, but he was the highest paid 2017 offensive assistant at $291,000+. Leach tried to take care of him.

He was paid far more than he was worth. He will have a hard time getting another job if the TT coach is canned. He found another buddy willing to hire him but he will run out of buddies and he will not be hired on his own abilities.

He was paid far more than he was worth. He will have a hard time getting another job if the TT coach is canned. He found another buddy willing to hire him but he will run out of buddies and he will not be hired on his own abilities.

Line coaches usually are paid more than running back coaches, unless the running back coach is being paid for something else like being a great recruiter. I do not know what kind of running back coach he is. As I did not follow TT at the time.

Going from OL coach to co-OC at your alma mater isn't exactly a "lateral move". Come on Ed.
Well if it is only for a year it is a lateral move. Who is he sharing the coordinating job with? Klingsbury?

Well if it is only for a year it is a lateral move. Who is he sharing the coordinating job with? Klingsbury?

Ed, this is ridiculous. First, duration of the new gig doesn't define whether the move is lateral or not. Second, take the 2 seconds to look up who the OC is on Google like anyone else would.

This is all coming after you erroneously called the move lateral in the first place, by the way. Have some responsibility for the crap you post, take the three seconds to be half-informed, and don't expect to post ignorant garbage or a bunch of easily-answered questions and not have people get annoyed with you.

I think you are being picked on. Klingsbury is the OC regardless of titles. He has been highly successful as a quarterback and offensive coordinator with this system. He is not going to turn it over. At best I see McGuire reminding him of the basics, if Klingsbury gravitated away from it. He may be the eyes in the box.

It's exactly this.

Well as posted elsewhere he was up to $291,000. Then again 7 years ago he was at East Carolina making $120,000. But no $200,000 for 6 years does not make you worth over a million dollars. Unless you pay no tax and have no living expenses.

Otherwise, good post. Although I thought you were going to retire those pictures at the bottom of your posts. ;)

Well as posted elsewhere he was up to $291,000. Then again 7 years ago he was at East Carolina making $120,000. But no $200,000 for 6 years does not make you worth over a million dollars. Unless you pay no tax and have no living expenses.

Otherwise, good post. Although I thought you were going to retire those pictures at the bottom of your posts. ;)

I think there was more to it than meets the eye. Leach and I believe Nichol have both coached offensive line. We will never know, but he my have been asked to switch positions. This may have made him decide to make that chance elsewhere. He played for Leach, as well as coached for him at two different schools. He would never have been fired. This does not mean Leach would not have moved him, if he thought it would best help the team. Yet again maybe his wife wanted to go back. "If momma ain't happy nobody's happy." In the old days coaches wives were supportive no matter what. I do not know how it is today. Certainly kids are different.

I think you are being picked on. Klingsbury is the OC regardless of titles. He has been highly successful as a quarterback and offensive coordinator with this system. He is not going to turn it over. At best I see McGuire reminding him of the basics, if Klingsbury gravitated away from it. He may be the eyes in the box.

I don't doubt that KK is the "real" OC--or, at least, would have a ton of say--but interestingly, he already hired another guy to be the OC (not just a co-OC), and now he gave McGuire that co-OC title, presumably relegating the other guy to co-OC, although he's still listed as OC on Texas Tech's site. Eric Morris served as the OC previously but he left this offseason. Sounds like a clusterf_k, honestly, and I think McGuire will probably do less actual coordination of Texas Tech's offense than Mastro coordinates the "run game" under the OC and head coach at Oregon. My view is that many of these titles are just BS, and it's a game Leach doesn't seem interested in playing.

http://lubbockonline.com/sports-red...-back-former-player-assistant-clay-mcguire-co
http://texastech.com/coaches.aspx?path=football

Last edited:
I think there was more to it than meets the eye. Leach and I believe Nichol have both coached offensive line. We will never know, but he my have been asked to switch positions. This may have made him decide to make that chance elsewhere. He played for Leach, as well as coached for him at two different schools. He would never have been fired. This does not mean Leach would not have moved him, if he thought it would best help the team. Yet again maybe his wife wanted to go back. "If momma ain't happy nobody's happy." In the old days coaches wives were supportive no matter what. I do not know how it is today. Certainly kids are different.

Well, he's coaching RBs at TTU, so the thought if switching positions couldn't have pissed him off TOO much.

Last edited:
I don't doubt that KK is the "real" OC--or, at least, would have a ton of say--but interestingly, he already hired another guy to be the OC (not just a co-OC), and now he gave McGuire that co-OC title, presumably relegating the other guy to co-OC, although he's still listed as OC on Texas Tech's site. Eric Morris served as the OC previously but he left this offseason. Sounds like a clusterf_k, honestly, and I think McGuire will probably do less actual coordination of Texas Tech's offense than Mastro coordinates the "run game" under the OC and head coach at Oregon. My view is that many of these titles are just BS, and it's a game Leach doesn't seem interested in playing.

http://lubbockonline.com/sports-red...-back-former-player-assistant-clay-mcguire-co
http://texastech.com/coaches.aspx?path=football

I doubt that Mastro will have that much input. The head coach will probably call the plays. All coaches generally have varying amounts of input. Sometimes more against some team than others. Coaching is getting like banking, they throw out meaningless titles rather than money. I do not understand how other coaches on staff don't resent this.

If you are smart with your money oh yes it can.

I'll give you a hint. Set up an S-Corp have your wages paid to the corp as opposed to you. Set a pass-through for distribution just for you while deducting EVERYTHING as a business expense (because you are in an essence a traveling contractor as a coach)

You will only be taxed on what you pass through. Have the rest invested in stuff like Barclay's CDs

For example if it was me I could be like. Okay I can live off of 75.9 k in Pullman. That's plenty That's what I set my distribution at and then I am only taxed 15% (which with deductions I can get rid of)

Of my 291k I now have 215.1 k that I hold in the S-Corp and invest in the barclays CDs that have a 2.4 interest rate if I want to be ultra conservative which have a 60 month maturation (5 years) just putting 200k in that every single year yields 225k on maturity after 5 years.

So do the math.

200k in 2012 matures to 225k in 2017
200k in 2013 matures to 225k in 2018
200k in 2014 matures to 225k in 2019
200k in 2015 matures to 225k in 2020
200k in 2016 matures to 225k in 2021
200k in 2017 matures to 225k in 2022.

And that's how you have 1.2 million dollars all not taxed maturing interest while you are paid 75.9k 15% income tax during the time.

Now already some of the CDs start to mature so those can be repurposed all over again. You can start to repurpose them as needed by let's say you take the 225 matured in 2017 and add it to the 225k in 2018

That's 450k in liquid that you can then repurpose in CD. It will mature in 2024 for a cool 507k

You do the same thing over and over again 19/20 combine and mature in 2026 for 507k

21/22 mature in 2028 for 507k

So basically in the next decade, you let it all mature in 2028.

You sit with 1.7 million in 2028. No risk. No taxes on it, while you are paying taxes of just 15% on your pass-through of 75.9k
(Keep in mind this is just WSU salary he is getting paid at Texas Tech which he could continually add to it)

McGuire is about 36 years old today. So at 46 years old he can have an S-Corp with 1.7 million (not adding anything else to it) matured in 2028.

If he wants to go hard he can take that 1.7 at 46 years old and double down for 2 more 5 year CD runs turning it into 1.9 mill at 2033 and by 2038 the S Corp is holding 2.16 million bucks.

All while he is being paid at the 15% taxable earnings on just 75.9k.

This is just a conservative way to invest and turn his salary into a big return. This is just what he was making at WSU over a 6 year span. 200k / year to 2.16 million in liquid. If he works as a coach making just 75k he can keep it all rolling on itself.

Now with that money at 56 he can invest in real estate, he can do a lot with it. Travel the world.

He still made 80k from the S-Corp for his personal income during the time frame. Paying a fraction of the income tax on what he was earning

And 75-80k is exactly in the sweet spot for happiness.

So in a 25 year span or so he can have 2.1 million with just what he's made at WSU if he's smart.

That's not "Wild investments, or stock market crazyness. It's just high yield CDs at a reputable bank)

The fact that you have all these NFL players / sports people etc. go broke is absolutely ridiculous. You don't need tons of cars or bling or all that junk. You need your money working for you making you more money, and then a way so you don't get taxed for it.

Reactions: PatBaum
I believe the announcement came after all LOIs were signed. So, could be they waited to announce it till after it would have any recruiting impact.

I understand that Fab, but good grief this makes McGuire look bad. Unless of course he let the OLine recruit know of this move before he signed yesterday. If that's the case then fine. If I were Mcguire I would have waited till Monday, then announce. At least that way McGuire could say the decision wasn't made till after signing day. It would have looked better for him and WSU. The way it came out, its obvious the decision was made before the signing.

I'll give you a hint. Set up an S-Corp have your wages paid to the corp as opposed to you. Set a pass-through for distribution just for you while deducting EVERYTHING as a business expense (because you are in an essence a traveling contractor as a coach)

You will only be taxed on what you pass through. Have the rest invested in stuff like Barclay's CDs

For example if it was me I could be like. Okay I can live off of 75.9 k in Pullman. That's plenty That's what I set my distribution at and then I am only taxed 15% (which with deductions I can get rid of)

Of my 291k I now have 215.1 k that I hold in the S-Corp and invest in the barclays CDs that have a 2.4 interest rate if I want to be ultra conservative which have a 60 month maturation (5 years) just putting 200k in that every single year yields 225k on maturity after 5 years.

So do the math.

And that's how you have 1.2 million dollars all not taxed maturing interest while you are paid 75.9k 15% income tax during the time.

Now already some of the CDs start to mature so those can be repurposed all over again. You can start to repurpose them as needed by let's say you take the 225 matured in 2017 and add it to the 225k in 2018

That's 450k in liquid that you can then repurpose in CD. It will mature in 2024 for a cool 507k

You do the same thing over and over again 19/20 combine and mature in 2026 for 507k

You sit with 1.7 million in 2028. No risk. No taxes on it, while you are paying taxes of just 15% on your pass-through of 75.9k
(Keep in mind this is just WSU salary he is getting paid at Texas Tech which he could continually add to it)

McGuire is about 36 years old today. So at 46 years old he can have an S-Corp with 1.7 million (not adding anything else to it) matured in 2028.

If he wants to go hard he can take that 1.7 at 46 years old and double down for 2 more 5 year CD runs turning it into 1.9 mill at 2033 and by 2038 the S Corp is holding 2.16 million bucks.

This is just a conservative way to invest and turn his salary into a big return. This is just what he was making at WSU over a 6 year span. 200k / year to 2.16 million in liquid. If he works as a coach making just 75k he can keep it all rolling on itself.

Now with that money at 56 he can invest in real estate, he can do a lot with it. Travel the world.

He still made 80k from the S-Corp for his personal income during the time frame. Paying a fraction of the income tax on what he was earning

So in a 25 year span or so he can have 2.1 million with just what he's made at WSU if he's smart.

That's not "Wild investments, or stock market crazyness. It's just high yield CDs at a reputable bank)

The fact that you have all these NFL players / sports people etc. go broke is absolutely ridiculous. You don't need tons of cars or bling or all that junk. You need your money working for you making you more money, and then a way so you don't get taxed for it.

I copied everything. Now, I will try to understand it. I was half kidding my wife about setting up a corp to take advantage of the new tax laws. Good information. I guess your a CPA.

I copied everything. Now, I will try to understand it. I was half kidding my wife about setting up a corp to take advantage of the new tax laws. Good information. I guess your a CPA.

Good luck getting WSU to start making out checks to Clay McGuire, LLC. Plus there are all kinds of other issues with benefits, pension accrual, etc. I'm not saying it's impossible--although it pretty much may be--but it's a lot more complicated than setting up an LLC on LegalZoom and flipping a switch. I wish it was easier, since I'm one of those high-salaried professionals who would want to take advantage of something like this, but in my case, there are all those issues and some others (e.g., malpractice insurance, etc.).

Good luck getting WSU to start making out checks to Clay McGuire, LLC. Plus there are all kinds of other issues with benefits, pension accrual, etc. I'm not saying it's impossible--although it pretty much may be--but it's a lot more complicated than setting up an LLC on LegalZoom and flipping a switch. I wish it was easier, since I'm one of those high-salaried professionals who would want to take advantage of something like this, but in my case, there are all those issues and some others (e.g., malpractice insurance, etc.).

A doctor. In order to get medical costs under control, I think we need to have tort reform. That should help get malpractice insurance under control.

You know these coaches don't have job security beyond a couple years anyway. Even if he's there for 1 year, he's got Co-OC on his resume and some diversified experience. He'll have no trouble getting another gig somewhere.

Feels like you're trying to make a story where there isn't one.

You know these coaches don't have job security beyond a couple years anyway. Even if he's there for 1 year, he's got Co-OC on his resume and some diversified experience. He'll have no trouble getting another gig somewhere.

Ed would never do such a thing....

Well the story is like Mike Leach said...it could be (and my belief...will be ) a short stay in Lubbock. He is the rb coach leaving for a sub .500 team the last four years where the coaches are going to get fired. They have their true OC in Kliff K, they have a co-coordinator in the guy they recently hired, and now McGuire. Why didn't he just ask for that same fake title from Leach? His responsibilities will be the same at Tech as they are at WSU, and he will be employed much longer and not looking for a job next winter.

Reactions: Tx64
Ed, this is ridiculous. First, duration of the new gig doesn't define whether the move is lateral or not. Second, take the 2 seconds to look up who the OC is on Google like anyone else would.

This is all coming after you erroneously called the move lateral in the first place, by the way. Have some responsibility for the crap you post, take the three seconds to be half-informed, and don't expect to post ignorant garbage or a bunch of easily-answered questions and not have people get annoyed with you.
Sorry 425....the question about who he was sharing the coordinator job was tongue in cheek. Like Leach, Kliff is the coordinator. Anything else is a mere title. And being unemployed in 9 months I am being generous when I use the term "lateral move". How many people leave a top 20 coach for a coach on the hot seat who may be unemployed in 9 months?

Reactions: Tx64
Sorry 425....the question about who he was sharing the coordinator job was tongue in cheek. Like Leach, Kliff is the coordinator. Anything else is a mere title. And being unemployed in 9 months I am being generous when I use the term "lateral move". How many people leave a top 20 coach for a coach on the hot seat who may be unemployed in 9 months?
So then what do you actually think it means?

Well the story is like Mike Leach said...it could be (and my belief...will be ) a short stay in Lubbock. He is the rb coach leaving for a sub .500 team the last four years where the coaches are going to get fired. They have their true OC in Kliff K, they have a co-coordinator in the guy they recently hired, and now McGuire. Why didn't he just ask for that same fake title from Leach? His responsibilities will be the same at Tech as they are at WSU, and he will be employed much longer and not looking for a job next winter.

How do you know that? Breske looked ok one year, and like garbage the next. You know all it takes is one bad season, maybe 2 for these guys to get fired. And, there's no guarantee, even if the Tech staff is fired, that he wouldn't stay on there.

He's an alum. Maybe Tech is his dream job and worth the risk.

72ab2f6a3c18d5d04eadbc8d74e0f096.jpg

Kingsbury made him an offer Leach simply couldn't match.

Reactions: Loyal Coug
How do you know that? Breske looked ok one year, and like garbage the next. You know all it takes is one bad season, maybe 2 for these guys to get fired. And, there's no guarantee, even if the Tech staff is fired, that he wouldn't stay on there.

He's an alum. Maybe Tech is his dream job and worth the risk.

I suppose....maybe he would stay on. maybe if he has a successful year as the third OC sharing the job with two other people and we know Kliff calls the plays he will land at Oklahoma.

Lets look at the odds. What are the chances he gets a better gig than WSU or Tech if he has one season as RB coach at Tech and the staff gets blown out. The likelihood is that there is a 70% chance he gets a gig that wouldn't be considered a step up. Every move Erickson made before leaving Miami was a step up. Never lateral, never having to take a step backwards.

What is the likelihood Kliff gets blown out next year? My guess is 70%. Their starting QB isn't exactly Luke Falk.

And Leach mentioned the vast uncertainty Clay is taking by taking that gig. That is coming from someone who is experienced at Tech.

You are an alum at WSU. Would you take a job if you had a really stable job to join Doba in 2007, or Wulff in 2010 if you had a job with a top 20 coach? He is walking into Bill Doba type of uncertainty with respect to job he is walking into.

So then what do you actually think it means?
Could mean a myriad of things. 1) He doesn't like Pullman 2) He doesn't like coaching oline 3) He had a falling out with the staff, Leach or admin 4) wanted a title 5) Wanted more responsibility 6) Maybe he doesn't have career aspirations and wants to move back to Lubbock

So do the math.

WSU won't pay wages to an S-corp. It would have to be set up as a corporate contract, and any contract over $10,000 has to be put to bid. So we'd have a coaching staff composed of the lowest bidders. Knowing what that gets us in services and facilities, I don't really want to see it in our coaches.

Tron, if I understand your long S corp example, you are having the S corp keep some retained earnings, which you are using to buy the CD's. In that case, the retained earnings are taxed and therefore you won't be buying as many CD's. S Corps pass everything through or it gets taxed as retained earnings. If I understood your example, it would not be my preferred choice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT