ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan is favored (4.5 now) to beat UW...

How many times have you seen Bama struggle at the line of scrimmage like that? The uw could have their hands full.

Reactions: Cougini5591
I was a huge Michigan doubter. And while I think this is Bama's worst team in ages, and that Milroe sucks, Michigan could not have generated more pressure on every snap if they knew the calls in advance. UW will have to make them pay for being aggressive early if they want any shot.

How many times have you seen Bama struggle at the line of scrimmage like that? The uw could have their hands full.
I also like Harbaugh as a coach. That guy has the "i don't give a **** attitude" and will run the score up on the Huskies if he can.

Agreed, Michigan got pressure and their run game is solid.

Georgia likely should have been in the CFP as well. Expanded format will be good.

Reactions: chipdouglas
I was a huge Michigan doubter. And while I think this is Bama's worst team in ages, and that Milroe sucks, Michigan could not have generated more pressure on every snap if they knew the calls in advance. UW will have to make them pay for being aggressive early if they want any shot.
UW will also need to get away with murder on the OLine. Unfortunately I don’t doubt they will. They won’t stop Michigan’s front seven without some WWF moves.

It was almost like...

they were stealing signs.

Semi-related, I assume the uw RB Johnson is out. Any official word on that?

Don't know his status but I do have a question about his injury. It seems to me that the rules should try not to reward or punish any team due to an injury. The Huskies were clearly harmed by his injury. They should have been able to run the clock down to somewhere around 20 seconds since Texas had no time outs left. Instead the clock stopped for Johnson's injury. If he could have limped off on his own the Huskies could have let the clock run. If he stood in the backfield they could have run the time off. Instead the clock was stopped to carry him off the field.

Don't know his status but I do have a question about his injury. It seems to me that the rules should try not to reward or punish any team due to an injury. The Huskies were clearly harmed by his injury. They should have been able to run the clock down to somewhere around 20 seconds since Texas had no time outs left. Instead the clock stopped for Johnson's injury. If he could have limped off on his own the Huskies could have let the clock run. If he stood in the backfield they could have run the time off. Instead the clock was stopped to carry him off the field.
The rules are set up in the opposite way, as I recall. The focus is on the team of the injured player to discourage fake injuries.

And it did seem like one of those times when the stars were aligning for an epic comeback.

Reactions: Coug90
The rules are set up in the opposite way, as I recall. The focus is on the team of the injured player to discourage fake injuries.

And it did seem like one of those times when the stars were aligning for an epic comeback.
Well I don't have any problem with discouraging fake injuries. But here the Huskies had nothing to gain by an injury and everything to lose by the clock being stopped. It was almost an epic comeback but without the clock getting stopped Texas would have had to go 70-80 yards in around 20 seconds. A very different situation than what occurred.

Ehh I think Coug-Vandal has it right. Stopping the clock encourages fake injuries, not discourages them.

Ehh I think Coug-Vandal has it right. Stopping the clock encourages fake injuries, not discourages them.
No it doesn’t they would have had to take a timeout or a 10 second runoff. Texas coach declined the runoff of course so it worked in their favor.

Question: Does the PAC12 get more $$$$$ for reaching the National Title Game than they would had they not made it?

If so, it appears that the PAC2 coffers just got bigger.

How much does a team get for making the College Football Playoff?​

Each conference receives $6 million from the College Football Playoff for each team selected for a semifinal game and $4 million for each team that plays in a non-playoff bowl under the College Football Playoff (Cotton, Fiesta and Peach Bowls in years they are not semifinal sites). There is no additional payout for the National Championship Game, only additional expenses covered.

In Summary, the conference got another 10 million, 6 for making the College Playoff and, 4 from Oregon making a New Year's 6 bowl.

Last I heard they (the mutts) said he'd be ready to go by the natty. Who knows if that's true or not, but can't let UM think they have an advantage going into the game is what I'm sure they're thinking.

Well I don't have any problem with discouraging fake injuries. But here the Huskies had nothing to gain by an injury and everything to lose by the clock being stopped. It was almost an epic comeback but without the clock getting stopped Texas would have had to go 70-80 yards in around 20 seconds. A very different situation than what occurred.
Unintended consequence. The rule focuses on preventing or penalizing Texas from faking an injury to stop the clock.

Maybe have a mandatory runoff of 10 seconds under those circumstances? The clock has to stop for an injured player, but you don't want either team running down the clock, or on the other side stopping the clock.

We have been talking past each other. I realize it was an "unintended consequence" of the rule. My question was about the rule. UW would have been able to run the clock down to about 25 seconds if Johnson could have limped off the field on his own. Texas greatly benefited from his injury. In my view the clock should have continued running until either UW had to take a delay of game penalty or a time out. Thus Johnson's injury would have had no effect which is what the rule structure should strive for.
Unintended consequence. The rule focuses on preventing or penalizing Texas from faking an injury to stop the clock.

Maybe have a mandatory runoff of 10 seconds under those circumstances? The clock has to stop for an injured player, but you don't want either team running down the clock, or on the other side stopping the clock.

We have been talking past each other. I realize it was an "unintended consequence" of the rule. My question was about the rule. UW would have been able to run the clock down to about 25 seconds if Johnson could have limped off the field on his own. Texas greatly benefited from his injury. In my view the clock should have continued running until either UW had to take a delay of game penalty or a time out. Thus Johnson's injury would have had no effect which is what the rule structure should strive for.
I agree with this. Not sure why they don’t just restart the clock once the player is out of the game. It does seem silly that Texas benefited from the UW player getting injured. No team should benefit
With a clock stoppage from a player getting hurt, while rules should be in place to discourage faking injuries. Hell, in that situation Texas could try to hurt someone to get the clock stopped, and you don’t want that. A corner or edge guy could go at a knee with a legal hit to try and stop the clock

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
I read today that he will play.
If your team made the national championship, would you sit out because your ankle was sore? I'd be telling the trainers to tape it up good and shoot it full of cortisone, and I'm playing until either I think someone else can do better or until the bone comes through the skin.

If your team made the national championship, would you sit out because your ankle was sore? I'd be telling the trainers to tape it up good and shoot it full of cortisone, and I'm playing until either I think someone else can do better or until the bone comes through the skin.
If I was one of today's kids, I guess it would matter if I was declaring for the draft or not...

NATTY'S DON'T COME WITH A BAG, BABY! THE NFL DO!

giphy.gif

I don’t have much good to ever say about UW but that kid is a warrior…he’s been playing on a bad wheel most of the year. I assume he will play if he can walk.

Thing is at that age, if it’s not something you are going to make worse, why not. 20 year olds heal up quick

I don’t have much good to ever say about UW but that kid is a warrior…he’s been playing on a bad wheel most of the year. I assume he will play if he can walk.

Thing is at that age, if it’s not something you are going to make worse, why not. 20 year olds heal up quick
And, even if it’s something that might become a nagging, long-term injury, most of us at 20 don’t recognize that.

Tell my ankle that. Hurt it pretty good playing Full Contact flag football in my early-mid 20's. almost 40 years later I am bone on bone and literally can't run. Can barely walk some days. My shoulder that I hurt pitching at 18? I think it was probably a rotator cuff. Now the girls at the dog park can throw farther than me. My bad knee sans ACL from softball? Well that was in my 40's so it doesn't apply. My torn bicep from golf was in my 50's so same thing. 4 sports, 4 wiped out limbs. I know, I've recounted this before.

Teens, 20's, 40's, and 50's. What happened in my 30's? Does my vasectomy count? That was in my 30's. :)

Tell my ankle that. Hurt it pretty good playing Full Contact flag football in my early-mid 20's. almost 40 years later I am bone on bone and literally can't run. Can barely walk some days. My shoulder that I hurt pitching at 18? I think it was probably a rotator cuff. Now the girls at the dog park can throw farther than me. My bad knee sans ACL from softball? Well that was in my 40's so it doesn't apply. My torn bicep from golf was in my 50's so same thing. 4 sports, 4 wiped out limbs. I know, I've recounted this before.

Teens, 20's, 40's, and 50's. What happened in my 30's? Does my vasectomy count? That was in my 30's. :)
Sprained a knee in football when I was a senior. Didn’t want to miss a game so I lied to the doctor about how it felt. Finished the season and then played basketball season on it even though I could feel it wasn’t right, and it hurt in the morning. Just got used to the soreness, expected it to hurt after IM or pickup games in college and later.
Now, it hurts when I stand too long or walk too much, and once in a while will feel wobbly for a few steps before it just lets go and I end up in a heap.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT