ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts.

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
Not that anyone cares, but I’ll offer my state of the program thoughts. I’m a little more objective than some of you, but I do think there is shared blame to go around.

First off, I agreed with the things Leach said postgame yesterday. We have a leadership problem. Minshew was the most obvious loss in this regard, but we’re devoid of leadership on defense and the offensive line.

It’s a tough situation for Leach. Gordon is the most talented QB on our roster, but he lacks emotional maturity. The offensive line operates erratically because there isn’t an anchor, a personality capable of uniting the group. The defense is especially concerning in this regard. They play like an intramural flag football team. I haven’t seen one guy on defense who exudes passion out there. It’s apparent to me that Claeys walkout had a lot of depth behind it. There were/are serious coaching staff issues on that side of the ball, something that has to be completely overhauled in the offseason if Leach returns.

As far as the rest of the season analysis goes, honestly, it’s just been one of those years. We should have beaten UCLA, and certainly could have beaten ASU, Cal, and even Oregon. It just hasn’t been a congruent team.

The offense commits costly turnovers and penalties. The offensive line can’t open up any running lanes in short yardage situations. The defense can’t tackle, and REPEATEDLY gets beat for explosive plays on 3rd and long. That’s where the low football IQ defensively really stands out.

Biggs has pointed out the offensive scheme deficiencies, and I don’t disagree with a lot of his points. The problem is, I’m not sure that our offensive line can handle new wrinkles, and while I agree that the offense was largely to blame for the UCLA and Cal losses, but those games would have been won with better ball security and decision making at QB.

Sorry for the rambling post, but I guess what I’m saying is that I think the clear and obvious need for next season is a complete defensive overhaul. We need another young, energetic defensive coordinator with a focus on tackling and common sense, fundamental defensive principles.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
I find it interesting that two of the players that I’ve been most disappointed in are the two we sent to media day. You’d expect those guys to be your two of your leaders. They clearly are not.

Reactions: random soul
I find it interesting that two of the players that I’ve been most disappointed in are the two we sent to media day. You’d expect those guys to be your two of your leaders. They clearly are not.

Nope, you’re right. That’s why I agreed with Leach’s comments yesterday. We have no leaders on this team.

I assume you’re talking about Woods and Ryan, of which both have been very disappointing on the field. However, from that standpoint, makes you wonder if they have a difficult time being leaders when their play doesn’t back up their words?

Part of what makes a down year in bb or fb in college is loss of key leaders and bad chemistry

This team lost pelluer dillard minshew and weve got no identity no leadership all very true

this doesnt show up in the statlines but will kill a team

Not that anyone cares, but I’ll offer my state of the program thoughts. I’m a little more objective than some of you, but I do think there is shared blame to go around.

First off, I agreed with the things Leach said postgame yesterday. We have a leadership problem. Minshew was the most obvious loss in this regard, but we’re devoid of leadership on defense and the offensive line.

It’s a tough situation for Leach. Gordon is the most talented QB on our roster, but he lacks emotional maturity. The offensive line operates erratically because there isn’t an anchor, a personality capable of uniting the group. The defense is especially concerning in this regard. They play like an intramural flag football team. I haven’t seen one guy on defense who exudes passion out there. It’s apparent to me that Claeys walkout had a lot of depth behind it. There were/are serious coaching staff issues on that side of the ball, something that has to be completely overhauled in the offseason if Leach returns.

As far as the rest of the season analysis goes, honestly, it’s just been one of those years. We should have beaten UCLA, and certainly could have beaten ASU, Cal, and even Oregon. It just hasn’t been a congruent team.

The offense commits costly turnovers and penalties. The offensive line can’t open up any running lanes in short yardage situations. The defense can’t tackle, and REPEATEDLY gets beat for explosive plays on 3rd and long. That’s where the low football IQ defensively really stands out.

Biggs has pointed out the offensive scheme deficiencies, and I don’t disagree with a lot of his points. The problem is, I’m not sure that our offensive line can handle new wrinkles, and while I agree that the offense was largely to blame for the UCLA and Cal losses, but those games would have been won with better ball security and decision making at QB.

Sorry for the rambling post, but I guess what I’m saying is that I think the clear and obvious need for next season is a complete defensive overhaul. We need another young, energetic defensive coordinator with a focus on tackling and common sense, fundamental defensive principles.

With the amount of pass pro reps the OL has, a draw, lead draw, qb draw are all in the tool belt right now. They CHOOSE not to run them.

Throwing the ball left isn't on the OL.

Throwing the ball deep isn't on the OL.

A qb tucking and running isn't on the OL.

There are things that can be done to help the offense/scheme without changing the OL at all. The staff CHOOSES not to do it.

At what point is it time to pull out the stops? How many games do you have to lose before the HC catches fire and plays to win regardless of scheme? How many practices can you watch MB before you decide to give him more carries???

This is a coaching issue.

I haven’t seen MB have success on known running downs. He gets hit as soon as he gets the ball on every short yardage run. We’re also continually getting behind the chains because of false starts and holds.

I don’t disagree with a lot of what you’re saying, but this has been the worst offensive line we’ve had in several years.

I haven’t seen MB have success on known running downs. He gets hit as soon as he gets the ball on every short yardage run. We’re also continually getting behind the chains because of false starts and holds.

I don’t disagree with a lot of what you’re saying, but this has been the worst offensive line we’ve had in several years.

They do a decent job of pass protection. There are things you can do to help them with their blocks. A draw play helps. A qb that can take off and run loosens the defense. Im not saying you run them 30 times per game. But you run them until the DL knows they can't pin their ears back and rush the passer every time. Make the DL play for pass, run, qb run. Maybe you'll see things loosen up a bit for the OL.

Also, sometimes you have to run the play and make them defend it. If you throw the ball and it's incomplete, the defense still had to have a guy there. They still have to defend it. Even if the defense stops MB for no gain. They still had to defend it. They still have to have a guy there. Call it an incomplete run. And let's be honest. Is 8 carries really enough to get a back going? I don't think it is.

Right now, the 3 things that could loosen the defense, WSU removes themselves. They don't make the defense physically stop the run game, MB running the ball, AG running the ball. By not even trying, why would the defense commit assets to the LOS? Just push more bodies into the secondary and defend what you know they're gonna do.

With the amount of pass pro reps the OL has, a draw, lead draw, qb draw are all in the tool belt right now. They CHOOSE not to run them.

Throwing the ball left isn't on the OL.

Throwing the ball deep isn't on the OL.

A qb tucking and running isn't on the OL.

There are things that can be done to help the offense/scheme without changing the OL at all. The staff CHOOSES not to do it.

At what point is it time to pull out the stops? How many games do you have to lose before the HC catches fire and plays to win regardless of scheme? How many practices can you watch MB before you decide to give him more carries???

This is a coaching issue.

You seem to only watch about 25 percent of the game then incessantly bitch and moan about it.

Reactions: cougarhawk1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT