ADVERTISEMENT

National Media reads WW.....

Reactions: GrayOnGray
On the subject of expanding the playoff, I was talking with a co-worker and his suggestion was a 16 team playoff that actually made sense. His proposal was take the top two from each Power 5 conference, the top two Group of 5 teams and four at large teams. ND qualifies as an at large team if they are in the Top 16. Eliminate the conference championship games because they no longer have any value with regards to the playoff since you are taking the top two teams in ranking from each conference anyway. That eliminates one extra game for likely participants. Highest ranked team from each Power 5 conference hosts a home game. This year, it would be:

#1 Alabama vs #21 Fresno State
#2 Clemson vs #15 Texas
#3 ND vs #20 Syracuse
#4 OU vs #13 Washington State
#5 Georgia vs #12 Penn State
#6 Ohio State vs #11 LSU
#7 Michigan vs #10 Florida
#8 UW vs #9 UCF (sorry UCF, you get into the dance but you have to go on the road to do so)

Blue is conference champ, green is Group of 5 rep and red is at large. You could make the argument that no conference gets more than 3 teams, which would push LSU out and let West Virginia in but I bet that wouldn't fly. Overall, the match-ups worked out although I shuffled Texas and Syracuse to avoid a regular season rematch. You'd move the Army Navy game up a week to where the championship week game was at and have the first round of the playoffs at the higher seeded team's home field early in December (December 8th & 9th). Second round would be two weeks later (leaving a week for finals?) (December 21st and 22nd). Third round games to be on New Years Day as Bowl Games like they are now and Championship a week later.

Reactions: kayak15
10 game regular season.
No conference championship games.
Find a way to insure 12 games for everyone.
64 team playoff.

Reactions: CPtheCoug
Cannot think of a good reason to not expand the playoffs. Flat's suggestion is intriguing.

What about mine?

I think 8 is nice and tidy. And could restore the traditional Rose Bowl. Pac-12 and Big 10/14 play in the Rose Bowl, winner is in the final 4. Why get rid of the conference championships just to create an extra layer of playoffs to replace them?

Reactions: metprof
On the subject of expanding the playoff, I was talking with a co-worker and his suggestion was a 16 team playoff that actually made sense. His proposal was take the top two from each Power 5 conference, the top two Group of 5 teams and four at large teams. ND qualifies as an at large team if they are in the Top 16. Eliminate the conference championship games because they no longer have any value with regards to the playoff since you are taking the top two teams in ranking from each conference anyway. That eliminates one extra game for likely participants. Highest ranked team from each Power 5 conference hosts a home game. This year, it would be:

#2 Clemson vs #15 Texas
#3 ND vs #20 Syracuse
#6 Ohio State vs #11 LSU
#8 UW vs #9 UCF (sorry UCF, you get into the dance but you have to go on the road to do so)

Blue is conference champ, green is Group of 5 rep and red is at large. You could make the argument that no conference gets more than 3 teams, which would push LSU out and let West Virginia in but I bet that wouldn't fly. Overall, the match-ups worked out although I shuffled Texas and Syracuse to avoid a regular season rematch. You'd move the Army Navy game up a week to where the championship week game was at and have the first round of the playoffs at the higher seeded team's home field early in December (December 8th & 9th). Second round would be two weeks later (leaving a week for finals?) (December 21st and 22nd). Third round games to be on New Years Day as Bowl Games like they are now and Championship a week later.
I see this as the future. The conference playoffs will be the snag but something will 'give'. Nice outline, Flat.

But I will go on record to say, #14 will eventually spout off on how they were a victim of circumstance and they deserve to be in, more so than #20 Syracuse. Hence in about 10 years it will evolve into 32 or some other 'tweener' idea.

What about mine?

I think 8 is nice and tidy. And could restore the traditional Rose Bowl. Pac-12 and Big 10/14 play in the Rose Bowl, winner is in the final 4. Why get rid of the conference championships just to create an extra layer of playoffs to replace them?

Conference championship games are far less compelling than adding another round to the playoffs. Half the time they are rematches of earlier match ups in the season and they only matter because you need to determine a conference champion for a playoff/NY6. No one would miss these games if they went away.

Reactions: Alpine Cougar
Conference championship games are far less compelling than adding another round to the playoffs. Half the time they are rematches of earlier match ups in the season and they only matter because you need to determine a conference champion for a playoff/NY6. No one would miss these games if they went away.
Bullshit. I demand a three peat of UW vs Utah in front of 15,000 people in Northern California.

#2 Clemson vs #15 Texas
#3 ND vs #20 Syracuse
#6 Ohio State vs #11 LSU

This is the best scenario for me. 16 just like every other level of college football. I think the thing I hate most about what football is now compared to before all this crap started is that winning your conference means absolutely nothing anymore. Sure we still have the Rose Bowl unless you're unlucky enough to be the conference champ the year the Rose Bowl is in the playoff rotation. I don't even know why we still have conferences if they're gonna make it all about the top 4.

This is especially true in the Big 12/10, where they play everyone in their 9 game conference schedule, thus guaranteeing a rematch in the title game. That is dumb. In the 14 team leagues, particularly SEC and ACC who only play 8, rematches are less likely.....

See link below regarding going to an 8 team playoff. Sounds exactly like outlined by one poster here. (Me of course). 5 Conference champs and 3 wildcards including the best Group of 5 team.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Here's Loyal, the inventor of the 8-team playoff ...
b0znlk4cyaagm8v1.pnglarge

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT