ADVERTISEMENT

SEC to allow alcohol in stadiums

Ok, hang on a minute here - this article sounds like there was previously no alcohol in the luxury box/suite areas in SEC stadiums. Anyone know if that is true, or if I am just misreading it?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

And to further clarify - at WSU you can drink in the suites themselves, not just in the outer "bar" area, correct? What about in the loge seats?

You definitely can drink in the suites. I've only been in the suites, not the loge boxes, but the loge boxes have access to the bar area. Unless they're making those in those seats dispose of their drinks before going out to their seats, I'm pretty sure drinking in them is fine. It's one of the key benefits of those seats, in addition to the ability to come inside from the weather.

I still have my two ‘membership cards’ to the “War Eagle Supper Club” in Auburn during the Cougs last two visits to The Plains. Funny how there’s always a work-around down in the Bible-Belt.

Reactions: Suudy and 79COUG
Ok, hang on a minute here - this article sounds like there was previously no alcohol in the luxury box/suite areas in SEC stadiums. Anyone know if that is true, or if I am just misreading it?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

And to further clarify - at WSU you can drink in the suites themselves, not just in the outer "bar" area, correct? What about in the loge seats?

Can we assume you are now moving to Alabama? Thirty-seven and 15 couldn't get you to Coug home games, but SEC booze probably will.

Can we assume you are now moving to Alabama? Thirty-seven and 15 couldn't get you to Coug home games, but SEC booze probably will.

Oh look - stalker sighting! How nice.

Oh and he brought so much to the table with that post. Scott Hood must be proud.

There might have been a fully dry SEC stadium in recent decades...but I doubt it.

The concern in having a fully wet college stadium...and it is a legit concern...is the nature of and amount of security that will be required. The NFL games are wet and have a small army of sheriffs/PD. College games have managed to avoid that, but make the stadium fully wet and it is probably inevitable (and necessary).

Oh look - stalker sighting! How nice.

Oh and he brought so much to the table with that post. Scott Hood must be proud.

It would appear that Scott has his own wittle stalker...
berkeley_peeper_0314_2046029.JPG

There might have been a fully dry SEC stadium in recent decades...but I doubt it.

The concern in having a fully wet college stadium...and it is a legit concern...is the nature of and amount of security that will be required. The NFL games are wet and have a small army of sheriffs/PD. College games have managed to avoid that, but make the stadium fully wet and it is probably inevitable (and necessary).

I think that it is best for WSU to skip the idea of the wet stadium. You can drink at Cougville and the fieldhouse before the game, 5 minutes from your seat. You can drink at Cougville at halftime. You can drink in the luxury boxes. Putting it in the seats with half the students underage and all the families with kids? Overkill and asking for trouble?

Now let's say you added the endzone second deck and included some enclosed bar area (maybe right there above where the current seats end, stretching across the whole endzone) where you can see the game. That might work. Or my fantastic idea of buiding a glassed in, multilevel addition between the luxury boxes and FOB. Could tie it in to the luxury boxes for service purposes but segregate it. Any 21 year old with a ticket gets in.

I think that it is best for WSU to skip the idea of the wet stadium. You can drink at Cougville and the fieldhouse before the game, 5 minutes from your seat. You can drink at Cougville at halftime. You can drink in the luxury boxes. Putting it in the seats with half the students underage and all the families with kids? Overkill and asking for trouble?

Now let's say you added the endzone second deck and included some enclosed bar area (maybe right there above where the current seats end, stretching across the whole endzone) where you can see the game. That might work. Or my fantastic idea of buiding a glassed in, multilevel addition between the luxury boxes and FOB. Could tie it in to the luxury boxes for service purposes but segregate it. Any 21 year old with a ticket gets in.

Wow. Taking credit for what others conceived of years ago.
Stadium__6.jpg

This is a state issue, guys. Each state has it's own laws. That's why Oregon State has a beer garden and we don't. Different state.

We need to get with the times people.

Cougar Gold Gameday Green W E E D sold exclusively at the stadiums on Gameday.

20 bucks a gram.

Specials on Cougar Cannabis Kolaches and Gameday Gummies.

Think of the munchie concession sales in the second half.

Host the spring game on 4/20 every year. We would make a ton of cash. Probably 2-3 times what we are making now in concessions

20 bucks a gram.

Host the spring game on 4/20 every year. We would make a ton of cash. Probably 2-3 times what we are making now in concessions

Not that I don't like the concepts presented here, especially the "Cougar Gold" play - Acapulco Gold anyone? - but until the Feds quit watching reefer madness and get MJ off of the hard narcotic list, institutions accepting federal funds can do -0- with cannabis. Except research it, I guess.

This^^^

Martin stadium will not be fully "wet." Period. That was the take home message a couple years ago when WSU flirted with the idea.

There's a chance a beer garden could appear, but WSU is highly risk-averse, and there are serious concerns about how and where a beer garden could be adequately controlled.

I don’t like the idea of alcohol in the stadium, but it’s difficult (really meaning impossible) to say no to the money.

I don’t like the idea of alcohol in the stadium, but it’s difficult (really meaning impossible) to say no to the money.

As we think through this, I'm not sure there really is all that much money involved anyway. RV lot proximity, Cougville, etc. Half the students leave to go drink at the bar/frat/home anyway, many of them underage. Cougville would probably close if beer was in the stadium. So net gain not much there. People are going to smuggle bottles in anyway. $2 airline bottle vs stand in line for $7 beer?

As we think through this, I'm not sure there really is all that much money involved anyway. RV lot proximity, Cougville, etc. Half the students leave to go drink at the bar/frat/home anyway, many of them underage. Cougville would probably close if beer was in the stadium. So net gain not much there. People are going to smuggle bottles in anyway. $2 airline bottle vs stand in line for $7 beer?

Estimate was $1million annually.

20 bucks a gram.

We actually agree on something. Cannabis is legal in the state of Washington. WSU is an ag school. Should be a no-brainer.

Which is not that much.

And is likely just as inflated as all the other BS revenue estimates that have been floated for just about everything.

$1 million/ 6 games is $170K/game. $10 profit/game for - say - 17K drinking fans who haven't filled their snoot elsewhere? Yeah - really pencils out. And even if it does, it ain't that much. One kid gets bowled over by a drunk on the stairs, $50 million lawsuit against WSU, well you get the idea...……..

Which is not that much.

And is likely just as inflated as all the other BS revenue estimates that have been floated for just about everything.

$1 million/ 6 games is $170K/game. $10 profit/game for - say - 17K drinking fans who haven't filled their snoot elsewhere? Yeah - really pencils out. And even if it does, it ain't that much. One kid gets bowled over by a drunk on the stairs, $50 million lawsuit against WSU, well you get the idea...……..

So, you’re not going to complain about the deficit?

Yeah, I acknowledge there is room to question the estimates, and there is some risk, but while $1m isn't that much, $1m for the next 10 (or 20) years is, especially if you account for the interest that could be earned on that or that isn't paid on it if it goes to service debt.

We actually agree on something. Cannabis is legal in the state of Washington. WSU is an ag school. Should be a no-brainer.
It is a no-brainer, but not in the way you think.

It’s true that WSU is an ag school. But it’s an ag school that receives federal funds - a lot of them. It’s also a Research-1 institution that pursues a lot of federal research grant dollars (and gets a lot of them). Selling cannabis on campus - or even allowing its use - would threaten eligibility for all of that funding.

So yeah, it’s a no brainer - there’s not a chance in hell we should do it.

WSU athletics estimates are always overestimates. Remember how much we were supposed to get out of the TV deal?

$1 million was probably based on 7 games. That means $140,000 per game (rounding down).

My recollection is that beers in the fieldhouse are $6. If that price goes inside the stadium, that means selling 23,000 beers every game. If they’re $10, it’s 14,000 per game.

In a stadium that only holds 32K, I find it hard to believe that either of those thresholds is achievable over the season. Too many people aren’t 21, don’t drink beer, don’t drink the beer available, won’t pay $10 for beer, won’t pay $10 for the beer available, have free beer at their apartment/RV, can get a pitcher at the Coug for the same price, are driving home after the game, or for any of a number of other reasons don’t want beer at the game.

Plus, sales will fall off for bad weather games, late season games when it’s cold, and probably even the 7PM kickoffs.

It is a no-brainer, but not in the way you think.

It’s true that WSU is an ag school. But it’s an ag school that receives federal funds - a lot of them. It’s also a Research-1 institution that pursues a lot of federal research grant dollars (and gets a lot of them). Selling cannabis on campus - or even allowing its use - would threaten eligibility for all of that funding.

So yeah, it’s a no brainer - there’s not a chance in hell we should do it.

I’m willing to bet $100 Tron dollars this will be a moot point within 3 years.

Reactions: Cougatron
I’m willing to bet $100 Tron dollars this will be a moot point within 3 years.
I agree with the other 95. No chance in hell. Even if the feds get their hands out of this. But booze has been legal since prohibition ended in 1933. We still can't figure out how to get booze into our stadium? And you think the state board will be excited and ready to do ANYTHING out of the ordinary with MJ? Nope. Even if they said yes, the bond and the insurance would in.cred.i.ble. Cost would be prohibitive. Pipe dream... literally. And until laws or restrictions change, we will never have booze in the open, main area of the stadium, either.

And I'll put this out there as a "rabbit trail" comment... If the feds get their hands out of MJ (which I project is many years from now), they'll put their hands back in, to get "their fair share". Taxes folks. Bet your first born on it. MJ is going to get more expensive.

Disagree - you'll be able to walk into any establishment currently serving cocktails and purchase a THC infused drink under serving guidelines established by the state.

Big beverage like InBev and Constellation aren't pouring billions into acquisitions in the cannabis space just for fun. They see the market potential and have lobbying efforts in place to make this the norm. It may be 3 years (which I think is likely), it could be 4 or 5 but it will happen relatively soon.

It only follows that the same guidelines and social norms will make purchase of cannabis infused products available at sporting venues. I don't think it will be the smoke but more likely in drink or edible form.

And, of course there will be taxes. There already are in the state-licensed establishments.

WSU athletics estimates are always overestimates. Remember how much we were supposed to get out of the TV deal?

$1 million was probably based on 7 games. That means $140,000 per game (rounding down).

My recollection is that beers in the fieldhouse are $6. If that price goes inside the stadium, that means selling 23,000 beers every game. If they’re $10, it’s 14,000 per game.

In a stadium that only holds 32K, I find it hard to believe that either of those thresholds is achievable over the season. Too many people aren’t 21, don’t drink beer, don’t drink the beer available, won’t pay $10 for beer, won’t pay $10 for the beer available, have free beer at their apartment/RV, can get a pitcher at the Coug for the same price, are driving home after the game, or for any of a number of other reasons don’t want beer at the game.

Plus, sales will fall off for bad weather games, late season games when it’s cold, and probably even the 7PM kickoffs.

How many beers does the average hard drinkin' Coug fan consume in a game if it's available?

Just to pick the middle ground, let's say beers are $8 each inside the stadium. That's 17,500 beers per game. If the average drinker puts down 2-3 beers in a game, that means you need somewhere between 5,800 and 8,000 beer drinkers in the stadium. Based on my experience watching concerts at my hometown's downtown arena, I've seen plenty of beer drinkers double fisting beers at least twice at an event, so I wouldn't be surprised if the "average" doesn't skew higher. Roughly half of Americans routinely drink alcohol and roughly half of those prefer beer. If 25% of the people of legal drinking age purchase alcohol at a game do so, that's probably around 5,000 beer drinkers. That works out to 3.5 beers per person. Over the course of a game that lasts 3 1/2 hours, most folks can handle that (even if they shouldn't?).

So, I would agree that the estimate is maybe a little optimistic, but at the same time, it wouldn't be that surprising if we blew right by it. I still remember being at the UNLV game and hearing the stadium staff bitching that we had drank them out of beer on our side of the stadium.

How many beers does the average hard drinkin' Coug fan consume in a game if it's available?

Just to pick the middle ground, let's say beers are $8 each inside the stadium. That's 17,500 beers per game. If the average drinker puts down 2-3 beers in a game, that means you need somewhere between 5,800 and 8,000 beer drinkers in the stadium. Based on my experience watching concerts at my hometown's downtown arena, I've seen plenty of beer drinkers double fisting beers at least twice at an event, so I wouldn't be surprised if the "average" doesn't skew higher. Roughly half of Americans routinely drink alcohol and roughly half of those prefer beer. If 25% of the people of legal drinking age purchase alcohol at a game do so, that's probably around 5,000 beer drinkers. That works out to 3.5 beers per person. Over the course of a game that lasts 3 1/2 hours, most folks can handle that (even if they shouldn't?).

So, I would agree that the estimate is maybe a little optimistic, but at the same time, it wouldn't be that surprising if we blew right by it. I still remember being at the UNLV game and hearing the stadium staff bitching that we had drank them out of beer on our side of the stadium.

It’s not very hard to get to $1,000,000 annually. 27,778 beers at $6, six times gets you there.

Disagree - you'll be able to walk into any establishment currently serving cocktails and purchase a THC infused drink under serving guidelines established by the state.

Big beverage like InBev and Constellation aren't pouring billions into acquisitions in the cannabis space just for fun. They see the market potential and have lobbying efforts in place to make this the norm. It may be 3 years (which I think is likely), it could be 4 or 5 but it will happen relatively soon.

It only follows that the same guidelines and social norms will make purchase of cannabis infused products available at sporting venues. I don't think it will be the smoke but more likely in drink or edible form.

And, of course there will be taxes. There already are in the state-licensed establishments.
Several things:
1. I think you're mixing concepts. At the Seahawks game? Meh. OK. They can afford it. Timberwolves? Maybe. NASCAR, possible! Private entities. This is literally a "state sanctioned and owned event". Publicly owned. Even legalized federally, they will not have MJ at events, the same way alcohol isn't. Again, not in the open spaced area.

2. I've dealt with the State Board, in regards to alcohol, craft distillery specifically. I just don't see it. Maybe you have experiences with the board that would lead you to a different conclusion but I just don't see it. The state is a bitch. It has nothing to do about anything else other than them getting their fair share and liability. Period.

3. I have a friend that is a legal, certified grower. He has nothing good to say about the state and the difficulties in his process.
Now put a state school in that scenario and all the legal ramifications of the concept. Then combine that with the financial numbers from above, just from booze. Wouldn't financially be worth it for WSU.

4. I've also heard rumblings that if you even want to try (examples above like NASCAR or NFL or whatever. Looking ahead like you are doing) that the venue will have to choose their poison. MJ or alcohol. But not both. The potential of some idiot doing both heavily at a sporting event is deemed as strong likelihood. And it opens things up to a completely different risk category. Nothing solid but lots of decision makers making these kinds of comments.

We will agree to disagree but WSU will never have MJ at a school sanctioned event in my eyes. Ever.

If I do, will you intelligently contribute to the topic, or alternatively not participate in it?

Just to pick the middle ground, let's say beers are $8 each inside the stadium. That's 17,500 beers per game. If the average drinker puts down 2-3 beers in a game, that means you need somewhere between 5,800 and 8,000 beer drinkers in the stadium.

Ah - a thread full of numbers and analyses - a dream for any accountant. :)

But you guys are doing your calculations based on gross sales - not net profit. If the $1 million estimate/projection is a total sales figure, then it is really misleading. Cost of beer and related taxes, cost of cups, cost of delivery and set up and refrigeration, cost of the person pouring the beer, cost of additional security to handle the inevitable increase in drunken behavior. Cost of lost sales at fieldhouse and Cougville. Cost of lost sales of pop to put smuggled liquor in.

Net revenue gets pretty small pretty fast.

If I do, will you intelligently contribute to the topic, or alternatively not participate in it?

But you guys are doing your calculations based on gross sales - not net profit. If the $1 million estimate/projection is a total sales figure, then it is really misleading. Cost of beer and related taxes, cost of cups, cost of delivery and set up and refrigeration, cost of the person pouring the beer, cost of additional security to handle the inevitable increase in drunken behavior. Cost of lost sales at fieldhouse and Cougville. Cost of lost sales of pop to put smuggled liquor in.

Good points and I got sucked into thinking $1 million in sales and not profit.

Do you think beers are going to sell for less than $10 each? Six dollars of profit each will do it.

Plus we haven’t talked about basketball. Figure 500 more per game for 15 home games.

Do you think beers are going to sell for less than $10 each? Six dollars of profit each will do it.

Plus we haven’t talked about basketball. Figure 500 more per game for 15 home games.

My estimate was that 25% of fans will drink. You're saying that everyone in the stands has to drink these days? :p

My estimate was that 25% of fans will drink. You're saying that everyone in the stands has to drink these days? :p

C'mon now - Coach Smith will get at least 2,000 warm bodies into Beasley next year. And logistically, Beasley would be quite easy to turn wet. Just cordon off an entire baseline area top to bottom. Block off both ends of that part of the inner and outer concourses, throw up a few taps and viola!

I have Chargers season tickets at StubHub (or what ever its current name is...), which seats less than Martin Stadium. I've been told that depending upon which team we are playing (the Raiders get more), there are in the neighborhood of 70-100 off duty Sheriffs and local PD working overtime for each game. Having many times seen 15-20 at a time show up to break up a fight in the stands (believe it or not, it is more often women than men, and almost always drunks), I believe the numbers. I'm guessing that current Coug games don't get anywhere near that number of overtime officers. Paying for that will put a dent in the beer revenue, as will the undoubted increase in G&L insurance for the games. There is still revenue to be had, but as was pointed out more than once in this thread, previous athletic department revenue figures have pretty much killed their credibility.

I have Chargers season tickets at StubHub (or what ever its current name is...), which seats less than Martin Stadium. I've been told that depending upon which team we are playing (the Raiders get more), there are in the neighborhood of 70-100 off duty Sheriffs and local PD working overtime for each game. Having many times seen 15-20 at a time show up to break up a fight in the stands (believe it or not, it is more often women than men, and almost always drunks), I believe the numbers. I'm guessing that current Coug games don't get anywhere near that number of overtime officers. Paying for that will put a dent in the beer revenue, as will the undoubted increase in G&L insurance for the games. There is still revenue to be had, but as was pointed out more than once in this thread, previous athletic department revenue figures have pretty much killed their credibility.
The two will spiral upward too - the more alcohol sold, the more cops and security we’ll need on hand.

The number of cops are also connected to who we’re playing. Apple cups are a prime example. It’s pretty much all hands on deck for WSU PD, Pullman and Whitman county kick in, and state patrol sends as many as they can scrounge from the nearby regions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT