ADVERTISEMENT

Need your input

Wazzu Nation

Recruit
Jun 20, 2018
Washington
www.wazzunation.com
Wazzu Nation the radio show starts up in just over a week. Tuesdays at 5pm Pacific on TuneIn live stream. We are also on the web at: wazzunation.com with full listening links there.

We have, what I think is a great line up of exclusive WSU content, mostly sports. An interview with the ticket manager, a summation of the Spring Game, new recruits, returning players, new coaches, new coaching assignments, a weekly Mike Leach quote and the HUSKY HOUR! It will be a fun fast moving show.

What other topics would you like us to cover for you?

Wazzu Nation the radio show starts up in just over a week. Tuesdays at 5pm Pacific on TuneIn live stream. We are also on the web at: wazzunation.com with full listening links there.

We have, what I think is a great line up of exclusive WSU content, mostly sports. An interview with the ticket manager, a summation of the Spring Game, new recruits, returning players, new coaches, new coaching assignments, a weekly Mike Leach quote and the HUSKY HOUR! It will be a fun fast moving show.

Bill Moos- legend or legend in his own mind.

I think you should have a segment on a superfan where listeners send in pictures of there tailgating / gameday setup / favorite fan. The winner for the week gets interviewed on the show and gets their name on the Wazzu Nation plaque of Honor or something. Something for the fans for being great fans.

I also think players like Gabe Marks would be fun to have on occasion. Just past players to see what they are up to what their thoughts on the cougs are.

I think spending time talking about a position group. who the players are what the depth chart is looking like who might be having a big year.

This week in Coug history talking about a specific event or success that happened in the past.

Ladies Night segment talking about women fans and women's coug sports.

Guess that coug segment, take a past Coug in history and give some information about them, and see if people can guess who it is.

Pick a CougsFirst business and have them on the show as a guest for fun.

1. Engage the fans and make it about talking sports with them not just to them.
2. Cover past and present success
3. Make women feel a part of the show
4. Make Local coug businesses feel like they are a part of the show (good for advertising revenue)
5. Use social media for all your questions and answers to the audience online so it draws attention to your show via social media.
6. Make it interactive where fans send you pictures, answers, comments and questions.
7. Bring in great guests who are interesting. Past players. Coaches, Athletic department people.
8. Hold some silly contest every year before the season. THe Coug Super grilll competition or something where the craziest setup wins or super fan or something.

How about a weekly spotlight on a specific position coach-
We’ve had so much turnover recently, that might be interesting to hear how the new pieces are fitting together. Interviews would be amazing, obviously.
Could also highlight their current group of players on the same episode.

“The crystal ball”
Pick something- wins, starters, stats, whatever, make a prediction, and talk us through your rationale.
People could call in, vote on next week’s topic, etc.

During the season: joke of the week, at our upcoming opponent’s expense of course.

Reactions: Wazzu Nation
Thank you so much! These are GREAT ideas. Yes, we do plan on breaking down the team by position. We have an excellent interview for show #2 on the WSU creamery where you'll find out why Cougar cheese is in cans. Several edited recording of Mike Leach's goofy comments. Coaching additions and new assignments. And a fair amount of humor thrown in.

I REALLY like the listener participation. Unfortunately, with a stream it's difficult to do call ins, as the delay reaching the listener can be up to two minutes before you hear the comments. There's already the wave the flag movement, so I was thinking of Cougar Bed and Baths. How listeners are decorating their bedrooms and bathrooms.

The station is having issues with the live stream now. So, if we can't get out live on TUNEIN, then we'll have the shows recorded and posted on demand on our website. So, check http://www.wazzunation.com for the latest updates.

Thank you so much! These are GREAT ideas. Yes, we do plan on breaking down the team by position. We have an excellent interview for show #2 on the WSU creamery where you'll find out why Cougar cheese is in cans. Several edited recording of Mike Leach's goofy comments. Coaching additions and new assignments. And a fair amount of humor thrown in.

I REALLY like the listener participation. Unfortunately, with a stream it's difficult to do call ins, as the delay reaching the listener can be up to two minutes before you hear the comments. There's already the wave the flag movement, so I was thinking of Cougar Bed and Baths. How listeners are decorating their bedrooms and bathrooms.

The station is having issues with the live stream now. So, if we can't get out live on TUNEIN, then we'll have the shows recorded and posted on demand on our website. So, check http://www.wazzunation.com for the latest updates.

Don’t worry about call ins. It’s 2018. Do it all on social media and ask a question like.

What receiver do you think will breakout in 2018? Tweet at wazzunation and send in your thoughts.

Then talk for a few minutes about all receivers do your segment and then at the end go back and read some of your favorites.

Radio shows are all about planning.

Also if possible since you said you are streaming you can live stream with software called “Open broadcaster” (OBS) on YouTube / Periscope / Twitch.TV

Basically all you need is webcams the software and a laptop and you can live stream the show on multiple platforms besides tune in.

The real key to broadcasting in the internet age is to syndicate your stuff everywhere from a central broadcast.

Show is done it goes out to....

Tune in >
YouTube >
Periscope >
Twitch >

that way you are getting viewers from all over finding and listening and returning.

Integrate Facebook Page / Twitter / Instagram community development and you will get build a strong audience that is interactive.

Honestly I think the best shows (ideally) work in the following format.

2 hosts + (guest if applicable) to talk
1 tech to monitor feeds / stream
1 tech to monitor social media live and interact
1 tech montering audio quality / equipment / supporting the show

Basically a small 5 person operation can have a massive pressence.

All you need is 5 passionate Cougs and a regular time to hang out and do a show.

Drink local craft beer and have fun.

I think the show will be great keep going and keep building it up.

Husky Hour?????

I am at a national conference and spent some time yesterday with Cornhusker fans. We compared notes on Bill Moos. Of course they were happy about the Scott Frost hire, but that was virtually a fait accompli that just needed Bill to execute as his first action. One of those "get off to a good start" gifts. Nebraska has money, so the real issue is going to be evaluating and hiring the right coaches going forward...as well as cutting coaches who don't perform. I cautioned the huskers that Bill's track record was not great in that area. However, as an interview idea, you might check with some appropriate husker on maybe a quarterly basis to follow how happy (or not) they are with his work.

Minor sport coach interviews would also be good.

Alright Wazzu Nation. You're delving into my world, a bit. No I don't do podcasts but it's "media". So... My .02 worth.

.01- I won't get into what elements you should have. Get creative. I like throwing that stuff out and being surprised by what someone else's imagination comes up with. Guess that's why I'm a Producer/Director... But be imaginative. I know what I see/hear in my own mind. I want to see/hear what YOU have to come up with.

My other .01- I've seen 3 or 4 podcasts, specifically for Wazzu over the past 5 years or so. Eventually they die out. What it takes to make one enjoyable to listen to, takes a lot of time. The planning, the homework, logistics, equipment and ultimately the time.

So... Keep at it. It's going to be a grind, even a little 'ol podcast. At least one that people will want to continually come back to. So just keep going, if this is your passion. Find a way to give it legs and keep the quality up. Why do something half assed.

It's going to suck at times. Just keep going.
giphy.gif

I guess I'm going to give you an extra .01 worth. Keep it tight. Make your point and move on. Nothing worse that hearing a couple "buddies" talk, make their point and then keep dragging it on for another 5 minutes. CONDENSE your topics. The reason and logic, as much as you want us to feel like we are just sitting around the fire, listening to my own buddies talk about the thing we all love, Wazzu, the microphone is between us. Like texts, emails and anything else (camera's) in media, we aren't there so the context of your laughing or "um'ing" or "totally'ing" with odd silences is odd. We just hear wasted time. Do your homework. Listen to other radio shows. Probably successful radio, like Cowherd maybe. Not a fan of Patrick but he's there. Mike and Mike aren't bad (but their different because there are 2 people). They keep moving. If they don't use a commercial to pivot, it's an art and it's quick. Say your peace (piece), and be done. No need to say it twice.

My biggest advice is to avoid controversial subjects to start with. No Wulff or Walden interviews or discussions.

I'd suggest trying to get Mike Price on to talk about the 1997 Rose Bowl season.

I'd be shocked if Leaf would turn down an interview opportunity.

It might be a good idea to have a five minute segment talking about each bowl season that WSU has had.

Get a defensive player from the Palouse Posse on for an interview.

If you want to live on the dangerous side, have a show where you talk about when you do and don't root for other teams in the conference, including UW.

My biggest advice is to avoid controversial subjects to start with. No Wulff or Walden interviews or discussions.

I'd suggest trying to get Mike Price on to talk about the 1997 Rose Bowl season.

I'd be shocked if Leaf would turn down an interview opportunity.

It might be a good idea to have a five minute segment talking about each bowl season that WSU has had.

Get a defensive player from the Palouse Posse on for an interview.

If you want to live on the dangerous side, have a show where you talk about when you do and don't root for other teams in the conference, including UW.
That's exactly what you want...controversial issues. Heck the biggest viewed and participated threads on this board six years post Wulff are still the threads with his name in it.

That's exactly what you want...controversial issues. Heck the biggest viewed and participated threads on this board six years post Wulff are still the threads with his name in it.

I'm not saying that you avoid it completely. I think you wait a few episodes (or until the 2nd season) to get into that. Threads on message boards allow people to badger each other endlessly. On a call-in show.....you get cut off and then you hold a grudge. Think of the people here that say that they'll never go to Brand X again after they got banned or put on a "review" setting.

I'm not saying that you avoid it completely. I think you wait a few episodes (or until the 2nd season) to get into that. Threads on message boards allow people to badger each other endlessly. On a call-in show.....you get cut off and then you hold a grudge. Think of the people here that say that they'll never go to Brand X again after they got banned or put on a "review" setting.
Think Jerry Springer-Ed

Alright Wazzu Nation. You're delving into my world, a bit. No I don't do podcasts but it's "media". So... My .02 worth.

I guess I'm going to give you an extra .01 worth. Keep it tight. Make your point and move on.
Nothing worse that hearing a couple "buddies" post, make their point and then keep dragging it on for another 500 posts and 20 threads on WazzuWatch.

CONDENSE your topics. The reason and logic, as much as you want us to feel like we are just sitting around the fire, listening to my own buddies talk about the thing we all love, Wazzu, the microphone is between us. Like texts, emails and anything else (camera's) in media, we aren't there so the context of your laughing or "um'ing" or "totally'ing" with odd silences is odd. We just hear wasted time. Do your homework. Listen to other radio shows. Probably successful radio, like Cowherd maybe. Not a fan of Patrick but he's there. Mike and Mike aren't bad (but their different because there are 2 people). They keep moving. If they don't use a commercial to pivot, it's an art and it's quick. Say your peace (piece), and be done. No need to say it twice.

Fixed your comment. :p

Quarterback controversies are always good to get the dander up. "Up next, 'What Might've Been' with Kjell Nessen, Aaron Garcia, and Arkelon Hall's dad! And later, Marcellus Pippens, great corner in WSU history or greatest corner in WSU history?" :p

Perhaps a "what ever happened to them?" segment.

Pick a random star from yesteryear. Could probably do that at least monthly and never run out of candidates. Might be someone that is somewhat well known or might be someone who completely disappeared from the radar.

I’d like for you to have a weekly segment of CougEd & YakiCoug debate The Paul Wulff era.
Heck....you could put Yaki and I in what Laura Ingraham called the detention center summer camp and we could be have a one-on-one debate about Paul Wulff. And the first person to walk out of what Steve Doocy called "walls" wins the debate. In WWF it would be called a cage match, in todays world they are walls inside of a summer camp, or a Wall Match with chain link. .

Heck....you could put Yaki and I in what Laura Ingraham called the detention center summer camp and we could be have a one-on-one debate about Paul Wulff. And the first person to walk out of what Steve Doocy called "walls" wins the debate. In WWF it would be called a cage match, in todays world they are walls inside of a summer camp, or a Wall Match with chain link. .
Biggs can be the appeal authority, and in keeping with your theme Ed, you'll almost always be wrong and therefore get the folding chair treatment. Oh the humanity!

Biggs can be the appeal authority, and in keeping with your theme Ed, you'll almost always be wrong and therefore get the folding chair treatment. Oh the humanity!
There was a famous line from MASH the show where Trapper said to Frank , you are always wrong that is what is right about you. And why waste a perfectly good folding chair . And Biggs... he is into my wallet for so much brew that he can be the biased arbiter that I need.

I can tell you guys that we are going to try our best. I finished up with my pre-production last night of all the segment intros. IF the station gear is fixed up, we will record the show and have it as an archive on the website. We have an intro for Cougs in the NFL and one called "Wazzu Nation, back in time." So that will cover interviews with past players.

I've produced and directed TV shows for years, so this is gonna be a labor of love now! This is what you do when you're retired!

Darrell
'73 Communications

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT