ADVERTISEMENT

New AD will be announced Wednesday

Stef Loh tweeting out that it's Pat Chun, previously the AD at FAU. Seems to have a pretty solid resume:

"Prior to Florida Atlantic, Chun spent 15 years at The Ohio State University working at his alma mater. During his tenure, he was promoted six times in the Department of Athletics, ultimately elevating to Executive Associate Athletics Director for External Relations. In his last role at Ohio State, Chun provided leadership and oversight for all facets of the external relations division from 2009-12. In the four years of overseeing the external relations division, Chun oversaw record fundraising years of $42 million in 2012, $41 million in 2011, and $39 million in 2010. Chun also was a lead member of the athletics department senior team that authored the then-largest multimedia rights deal in intercollegiate athletics history: a 10-year, $128 million partnership with IMG College in 2009. Chun also served as the daily administrative liaison with the football program."

Stef Loh tweeting out that it's Pat Chun, previously the AD at FAU. Seems to have a pretty solid resume:

"Prior to Florida Atlantic, Chun spent 15 years at The Ohio State University working at his alma mater. During his tenure, he was promoted six times in the Department of Athletics, ultimately elevating to Executive Associate Athletics Director for External Relations. In his last role at Ohio State, Chun provided leadership and oversight for all facets of the external relations division from 2009-12. In the four years of overseeing the external relations division, Chun oversaw record fundraising years of $42 million in 2012, $41 million in 2011, and $39 million in 2010. Chun also was a lead member of the athletics department senior team that authored the then-largest multimedia rights deal in intercollegiate athletics history: a 10-year, $128 million partnership with IMG College in 2009. Chun also served as the daily administrative liaison with the football program."

A wow hire?

A wow hire?
While coming from FAU might not seem to be a "wow" factor at face value, looking at his ability to fundraise... wow. Don't know anything about him other than what SilverState posted but just from that, I'm cautiously wow'ed.

Was at tOSU for 15 years and is his ala mater. I can surmise he understands big time football.

He definitely seems to have solid experience fundraising. From his FAU bio:

Chun has earned a reputation as an outstanding fundraiser with record successes at two institutions. At FAU, December 2, 2015, the university announced the largest single gift in its history, $16 million from the Schmidt Family Foundation, which would be directed to the design and construction of a new athletics facility to be named the Schmidt Family Complex for Academic and Athletic Excellence. Construction will begin in the Fall of 2017. The project also includes a $5 million commitment from Christine E. Lynn for the Christine E. Lynn Sports Medicine Center and another $5 million commitment from Bobby and Barbara Campbell for the Bobby and Barbara Campbell Academic Success Center. Fall of 2016 saw the opening of the FAU Tennis Complex. The $800,000 project was funded primarily through private philanthropy.

Per Brand Z, he also entered into a corporate sponsorship agreement that is supposed to bring in $25M over 10 years.

Reactions: Cougzz
He definitely seems to have solid experience fundraising. From his FAU bio:

Chun has earned a reputation as an outstanding fundraiser with record successes at two institutions. At FAU, December 2, 2015, the university announced the largest single gift in its history, $16 million from the Schmidt Family Foundation, which would be directed to the design and construction of a new athletics facility to be named the Schmidt Family Complex for Academic and Athletic Excellence. Construction will begin in the Fall of 2017. The project also includes a $5 million commitment from Christine E. Lynn for the Christine E. Lynn Sports Medicine Center and another $5 million commitment from Bobby and Barbara Campbell for the Bobby and Barbara Campbell Academic Success Center. Fall of 2016 saw the opening of the FAU Tennis Complex. The $800,000 project was funded primarily through private philanthropy.

Per Brand Z, he also entered into a corporate sponsorship agreement that is supposed to bring in $25M over 10 years.

And he, according to the database below, makes $235,000 at FAU. So lots of room for a big raise without breaking the bank. Half of Moos's $457,000 salary per the database, but then I though Moos was higher than that. Thought he made $800,000 this past year. Bonus/retention pay perhaps?

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/all/director

I think I read he was promoted 11 times within the Ohio State athletic department. Regarded to be a prolific fundraiser.

I like his resume.

Reactions: froropmkr72
Say what you will, but this is not a wow hire. “Wow” is Moos or Leach- at a minimum proven at the Power 5 level. Mr. Chun is not.

I’m not saying this is a bad hire. I’d call it “meets expectations”. Well short of “wow.”

Say what you will, but this is not a wow hire. “Wow” is Moos or Leach- at a minimum proven at the Power 5 level. Mr. Chun is not.

I’m not saying this is a bad hire. I’d call it “meets expectations”. Well short of “wow.”

Hard to make a “wow” AD hire. WSU isn’t a wow athletic department, so attracting proven, wow candidates is impossible. From what I’ve read, Chun is a Grinch or Tony Bennett within the up and coming AD candidate pool.

As always, time will tell.

FAU, huh?

If Mike Leach ever leaves Pullman (hopefully, many years away) could the guy who hired Lane Kiffin at Florida Atlantic bring him back to the Pac-12?

That would sure be a "WOW" hire for WSU.

Reactions: Cougzz

Well...now we have our replacement for Leach lined up.
Good times.

FAU, huh?

If Mike Leach ever leaves Pullman (hopefully, many years away) could the guy who hired Lane Kiffin at Florida Atlantic bring him back to the Pac-12?

That would sure be a "WOW" hire for WSU.
Ask any SC fan how they feel about Lame Kitten. That said. Excited that Chun has been hired.

Stephanie Loh has reported that the press conference to introduce Patrick Chun has been rescheduled for a date to be determined. This is likely due to the unfortunate passing of TH.

Pullman is not Florida and one wonders how a person from a far state will be able to form ties in Washington and other western states. He is being given a chance to prove himself and i hope he is a huge success.

Pullman is not Florida and one wonders how a person from a far state will be able to form ties in Washington and other western states. He is being given a chance to prove himself and i hope he is a huge success.
Florida is not Ohio and he seemed to do just fine there.

Hard to make a “wow” AD hire. WSU isn’t a wow athletic department, so attracting proven, wow candidates is impossible. From what I’ve read, Chun is a Grinch or Tony Bennett within the up and coming AD candidate pool.

As always, time will tell.

I'm not disagreeing with you about that. But Schulz was setting a higher expectation for this hire.

I like this hire. I think he's got a great background for what we need, and based on what he's done at Ohio State and FAU I think comes with a good toolkit of resources in hand to be successful here. I cringed a little last month when Schulz used the term "wow hire" as he sort of set himself up for criticism -- everybody has a different idea of "wow" and I'm not sure what that really constitutes in an AD. Like any new AD hire, we'll have to wait and see how his personality fits with our current coaches. I take it as a positive that Chun was respected and liked by Kiffin. I think Leach and Kiffin are similar in that both can be considered particularly challenging for an AD if communications lines and expectations are not managed well (that might be the only similarity between the two) and Chun seemed to manage FAU's Kiffin experience well. Looking forward to what he brings to the table.

Pullman is different in many ways than either Florida and Ohio.

How many major universities are there with strong similarities to Wazzu that you can pluck an AD out of and almost guarantee success? I don't think there are many, so it's likely that El C's question/comment would be applicable to most anybody we hired.

I'm not disagreeing with you about that. But Schulz was setting a higher expectation for this hire.

Yea, I know, but what was Schulz going to say? “We’ll do our best to replace to Moos with someone who will hopefully be decent.”

I have no idea if this guy will work out, but I’m more excited about him than I would’ve been with some old retread who’s bounced around a bunch.

Crossing my fingers.

Reactions: Tx64 and Cougzz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT