ADVERTISEMENT

New allegation against Jason Gesser (This is the ONLY thread to discuss)

ScottHood

Nov 8, 2007
WSU put out the following statement a short time ago:

"President Kirk Schulz and Director of Athletics Pat Chun have issued the following statement following a new complaint made against WSU employee Jason Gesser. The statement also includes a comment from Kimberly Anderson, Executive Director of the Office for Equal Opportunity:

Earlier today, the Washington State University Office for Equal Opportunity (OEO) received an accusation of sexual misconduct against Jason Gesser, an employee of the WSU Athletics Department. This is the first time that an individual who was directly involved in an alleged incident of sexual misconduct has filed a formal complaint with OEO against Mr. Gesser.

‘This is new information and a different set of events than previously reported,” said Kimberly Anderson, Executive Director of the Office for Equal Opportunity. ‘In accordance with standard WSU practice and in consultation with relevant University officials, Mr. Gesser was placed on home assignment pending a full investigation of the allegations.’

Washington State University carefully examines all allegations of sexual misconduct, sexual harassment, and discrimination and provides both parties with the full opportunity to present information. If individuals have any information regarding allegations of misconduct by WSU employees, they should call the Office for Equal Opportunity at 509-335-8288 or send email to oeo@wsu.edu.”

Well, I hope that this proves to be nothing, but when I said the other day that we needed things to play out, part of the comment was based on the fact that once someone knows that they might get taken seriously, they may speak up when they haven't before.

Well, I hope that this proves to be nothing, but when I said the other day that we needed things to play out, part of the comment was based on the fact that once someone knows that they might get taken seriously, they may speak up when they haven't before.

It's so awesome that you get the opportunity to claim you were right about something on the internet.

Okay so all of a sudden “new information” has been reported.

Innocent until proven guilty I personally am of the wait and reserve judgement until all facts are in camp. Because that is how it is supposed to be.

So now there is a “different set of events” than what has been reported and a “formal complaint”. So we will find out what this complaint is and hear what allegedly happened.

I was talking to some internal people in Pullman during the game. They were all pretty skeptical. The 2 people that were laying the groundwork for these allegations had fuzzy pasts. But this is a new game with these allegations.

This isn't politics where one side of the aisle is trying to smear the other side. This is Jason Gesser. There's no "other side" on this. This is concerning.

Reactions: Cougzz
Okay so all of a sudden “new information” has been reported.

Innocent until proven guilty I personally am of the wait and reserve judgement until all facts are in camp. Because that is how it is supposed to be.

So now there is a “different set of events” than what has been reported and a “formal complaint”. So we will find out what this complaint is and hear what allegedly happened.

There was a formal complaint before, it just wasn't from someone "directly involved in an alleged incident of sexual misconduct."

This is presumably from one of the interns mentioned in the Evergreen article.

It's so awesome that you get the opportunity to claim you were right about something on the internet.

I wasn't trying to beat my chest.......I was just saying that's why "WE" as in everybody......needed to chill out and let things play out. That is still important now. This could be a baseless accusation.

I was talking to some internal people in Pullman during the game. They were all pretty skeptical. The 2 people that were laying the groundwork for these allegations had fuzzy pasts. But this is a new game with these allegations.

This isn't politics where one side of the aisle is trying to smear the other side. This is Jason Gesser. There's no "other side" on this. This is concerning.

The interesting part is that the Evergreen allegedly received an anonymous letter that tipped off the reporters. So, it's fair to draw from that someone wants to burn Gesser. But, of course, that could mean Gesser deserves to get burned.

To repeat from deleted threads, if there was misuse of university funds, that would be a problem. A relationship with an intern would be a problem.

Given that plenty of time has passed to review and investigate use of funds, and all that was found was less than $40 that Gesser paid back to the University, that's a dead end.

Really, is there anything to discuss? There really isn't any moral fuzzy area's anymore - either you're a saint or a complete heel. If he did anything remotely unsavory he's going to get hung from a cross.

I hope that this accuser is prepared to live with the consequences of ending a persons career and future livelyhood if its over something minor, like a "flirty text message."

That being said, outside of being generally "flirty" or harmlessly (who defines that now) charming, he's completely screwed. There doesn't have to be a history of actions, warnings, write ups, nothing - he'll be gone and more than likely a pariah on campus. And unfortunately for him, I don't see his skill set getting him another job in what he knows outside of maybe a high school football coach.

This whole situation sucks.

Reactions: Cougzz
The interesting part is that the Evergreen allegedly received an anonymous letter that tipped off the reporters. So, it's fair to draw from that someone wants to burn Gesser. But, of course, that could mean Gesser deserves to get burned.

To repeat from deleted threads, if there was misuse of university funds, that would be a problem. A relationship with an intern would be a problem.

Given that plenty of time has passed to review and investigate use of funds, and all that was found was less than $40 that Gesser paid back to the University, that's a dead end.
And I'll go further and repeat from one of the earlier threads, it goes to what we want from him. Is he someone that is there to get money for us? Period? Or is he an ambassador for WSU.

I've been told that we should look at this situation similarly to President Clinton. He was slimy but it was "internal" between the Mr. and the Mrs. Not our business. I didn't have a favorable look on Clinton, and one of the reasons I don't like Trump is the very same reason. The way they treat women. I find them very equal. I think Gesser is in a similar position, in his job. He's an ambassador to WSU. What he does outside of his home affects his work. As you say, misuse of funds isn't something on the table so it goes to behavior.

I'm still in a holding pattern on judgement but if just a few of these allegations prove to be true, I wish for him to be gone. I wouldn't let my daughter take a picture with him. I wouldn't take a picture with him. He doesn't need to be a saint, we're all human. But "sexual misconduct" is not something I take lightly. And this has all been fairly recent stuff.

And I'll go further and repeat from one of the earlier threads, it goes to what we want from him. Is he someone that is there to get money for us? Period? Or is he an ambassador for WSU.

I've been told that we should look at this situation similarly to President Clinton. He was slimy but it was "internal" between the Mr. and the Mrs. Not our business. I didn't have a favorable look on Clinton, and one of the reasons I don't like Trump is the very same reason. The way they treat women. I find them very equal. I think Gesser is in a similar position, in his job. He's an ambassador to WSU. What he does outside of his home affects his work. As you say, misuse of funds isn't something on the table so it goes to behavior.

I'm still in a holding pattern on judgement but if just a few of these allegations prove to be true, I wish for him to be gone. I wouldn't let my daughter take a picture with him. I wouldn't take a picture with him. He doesn't need to be a saint, we're all human. But "sexual misconduct" is not something I take lightly. And this has all been fairly recent stuff.

Look, title IX and #metoo has taken on a life that has taken it far away from what they were meant to do and stand for.

While it's a "no-no" to have a sexual relationship with an intern, if she is a consenting adult I personally wouldn't call it "sexual misconduct." That was put in there to prevent persons in authority from extorting or otherwise coercing subordinates into unwanted sexual contact.

If he did have consensual sex with an intern, yes he still gets canned but lets not make the guy out to be a rapist or some other type of sexual abuser.

I'm definitely not an apologist for this type of behavior, I just don't think its fair to lump him (or anyone else) in with the Matt Lauer/ Harvey Weinstien/ Louis CKs of the world.

Look, title IX and #metoo has taken on a life that has taken it far away from what they were meant to do and stand for.

While it's a "no-no" to have a sexual relationship with an intern, if she is a consenting adult I personally wouldn't call it "sexual misconduct." That was put in there to prevent persons in authority from extorting or otherwise coercing subordinates into unwanted sexual contact.

If he did have consensual sex with an intern, yes he still gets canned but lets not make the guy out to be a rapist or some other type of sexual abuser.

I'm definitely not an apologist for this type of behavior, I just don't think its fair to lump him (or anyone else) in with the Matt Lauer/ Harvey Weinstien/ Louis CKs of the world.
I was just typing up a response to your other post. You make good points. "Flirty" or "flirty text message" or "overly charismatically" (recently heard that one, oh brother), are not what I'm concerned about. Now if it goes to the extreme, like anything else, then I'm done. We don't need a man whore that just never follows through on staff.

Have 3 prongs of concern:
1. My concerns are more about a "boss" having inappropriate relations with a subordinate. While not nearly in the same strata as rape, it's still not good. It's a power thing. In the old days, that was viewed as a woman sleeping to the top, kind of thing. Now-a-days, the concern is that the woman didn't feel comfortable saying "no" to their boss. And that's a legit concern.
2.Another concern is in regards to a true man whore. I don't want the likes of Clinton or Trump affiliated with WSU.
3.And without knowing what the new allegations are, I'm concerned that there might be bigger stakes in this game.

Really, is there anything to discuss? There really isn't any moral fuzzy area's anymore - either you're a saint or a complete heel. If he did anything remotely unsavory he's going to get hung from a cross.

I hope that this accuser is prepared to live with the consequences of ending a persons career and future livelyhood if its over something minor, like a "flirty text message."

That being said, outside of being generally "flirty" or harmlessly (who defines that now) charming, he's completely screwed. There doesn't have to be a history of actions, warnings, write ups, nothing - he'll be gone and more than likely a pariah on campus. And unfortunately for him, I don't see his skill set getting him another job in what he knows outside of maybe a high school football coach.

This whole situation sucks.

This country s u c k s now.

Everybody is over sensitive everybody throws a fit about the tinyest thing.

Honestly I think that’s why Trump won. People were tired of being told they are sexist if they didn’t vote for Clinton, people are tired of being told they are racist if they vote republican, people are tired of being told what to say what to do how to vote and if they don’t do it _____ way then they “are the worst person ever” blah blah blah. Lot of people who aren’t sexist who aren’t racist who just want somebody to tell everybody else to F off sounded good to them and that’s why Trump won.

Sexual misconduct is serious and it should be investigated but still what exactly did Gesser do. That’s what I want to know.

Having intern flown to place. Who cares interns go places.

Having an affair with intern. Who cares if it was consensual.

Getting a cutie text. Okay reprimand don’t do that again.

Human beings are human beings. They are going to have sex, say stupid stuff, hit on people, blah blah blah. We are animals. We are not perfect emotionless robots.

The real question is. How far are we willing to go to ruin people’s lives? Does the punishment fit the crime?

Also I will say this. I think we are moving to people recording every single conversation ever at all times, and I can guarantee there will be a lot of horrible stuff happening in the future to women who do bad stuff too. The law is equal opportunity. So if some girl tells her friend she was to hook up a coworker she should be fired her career ruined too.

No no blah blah blah men men men. If you do something that may offend “someone” man or woman fire them ruin their lives make it hard for them to work anywhere ever again this is the societ we apparently want so let’s see it work both ways.

Reactions: poose&claws

If they are both consenting adults fire both of them and ruin both their lives if that’s what we are about as a society.

Let’s ruin lives!

I was just typing up a response to your other post. You make good points. "Flirty" or "flirty text message" or "overly charismatically" (recently heard that one, oh brother), are not what I'm concerned about. Now if it goes to the extreme, like anything else, then I'm done. We don't need a man whore that just never follows through on staff.

1. My concerns are more about a "boss" having inappropriate relations with a subordinate. While not nearly in the same strata as rape, it's still not good. It's a power thing. In the old days, that was viewed as a woman sleeping to the top, kind of thing. Now-a-days, the concern is that the woman didn't feel comfortable saying "no" to their boss. And that's a legit concern.
2.Another concern is in regards to a true man whore. I don't want the likes of Clinton or Trump affiliated with WSU.
3.And without knowing what the new allegations are, I'm concerned that there might be bigger stakes in this game.
You're #2 is where we disagree. I don't feel like a person's personal life has any bearing on how they do their job, and IF this didn't happen within the framework of his job it would be a complete non-starter (at least for the WSU admin.) I don't feel like he holds enough of a leadership or ambassador position with the college that having a philanderer on staff makes any type of statement about who or what we are as an institution (see Ernie Kent).

Unfortunately it did happen at work, so it all matters.

The problem with "flirty" text messages is that their impact is so subjective. Jason Gesser sends a text message about hookin up and it's flirty. George Costanza sends the same message and it's sexual harrassment. As a general rule, it's pretty damned stupid to send out "flirty" text messages these days.

Reactions: earldacoug

I talked to some internal people during the game too. Their opinion was that the only surprise is that it took so long for someone to complain. Apparently it wasn't really a secret, but as long as nobody complained it was tolerated.

FYI, in WSU-speak, "placed on home assignment" typically means that someone is done. It typically means they're wrapping things up and handing off to others in preparation for their dismissal.

My read is that Gesser is out, and he'll never work for WSU again.

If they are both consenting adults fire both of them and ruin both their lives if that’s what we are about as a society.

Let’s ruin lives!

As I've said before, we'll see what happens. A relationship with an intern, whether consensual or not, is a violation of university policy. It's not like that policy is some kind of secret that the sex police bust out when they want to crucify someone. The sad truth is that lots of people ruin their own lives, and it's no one's fault but their own.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
I talked to some internal people during the game too. Their opinion was that the only surprise is that it took so long for someone to complain. Apparently it wasn't really a secret, but as long as nobody complained it was tolerated.

FYI, in WSU-speak, "placed on home assignment" typically means that someone is done. It typically means they're wrapping things up and handing off to others in preparation for their dismissal.

My read is that Gesser is out, and he'll never work for WSU again.
And it was Uri Farhkas (sp) that complained. Really makes you wonder what axe he had to grind with WSU/ Moos/ Gesser. I met him twice and will say that he didn't really seem to be a fit for the jocularity of the position - nice guy, just bad fit.

As I've said before, we'll see what happens. A relationship with an intern, whether consensual or not, is a violation of university policy. It's not like that policy is some kind of secret that the sex police bust out when they want to crucify someone. The sad truth is that lots of people ruin their own lives, and it's no one's fault but their own.

We're just extra special at WSU in that its our biggest heroes who ruin their lives. Makes you wonder what skeletons JT has in his closet... I shudder to imagine.

On a happier note, it was again good to hear Leaf in the booth, and if he's given the chance to continue to improve he'll make a great color guy.

And it was Uri Farhkas (sp) that complained. Really makes you wonder what axe he had to grind with WSU/ Moos/ Gesser. I met him twice and will say that he didn't really seem to be a fit for the jocularity of the position - nice guy, just bad fit.

Gesser seemed to have a rather quick ascent up the ladder. People that have to pay their dues sometimes struggle relating to those that have an easier path.

Last edited:
We're just extra special at WSU in that its our biggest heroes who ruin their lives. Makes you wonder what skeletons JT has in his closet... I shudder to imagine.

On a happier note, it was again good to hear Leaf in the booth, and if he's given the chance to continue to improve he'll make a great color guy.

It wasn't that long ago that I thought the next time I see/hear the name Ryan Leaf in a media report it will be because his body was found in a ditch somewhere. I'm glad that's not the case, and wish him success.

Leaf straight up robbed a place looking for pills went to prison and is a Pac-12 personality.

And I am happy he is clean and doing something constructive.

Jason Gesser may have told an intern she has a nice a.ss and banged her.

There’s a big difference between Robbery and drug addiction and being a horn dog.

In fact that’s what I would do to Gesser if this were true. Taking a page out of Leach’s punishment for the crime strategy I would have Jason wear a giant hot dog costume with a sign that says

“i’m a sad stupid horn dog” all around campus and at any time any female student or faculty member can walk up request a hot dog and throw it in his face. As many times as they want.

He’s have to do it for two full days of hot dog to the face wearing the horn dog costume.

On Monday he’s back at work and we can all move on.

That’s how you handle this stuff.

Leaf straight up robbed a place looking for pills went to prison and is a Pac-12 personality.

There’s a big difference between Robbery and drug addiction and being a horn dog.

In fact that’s what I would do to Gesser if this were true. Taking a page out of Leach’s punishment for the crime strategy I would have Jason wear a giant hot dog costume with a sign that says

“i’m a sad stupid horn dog” all around campus and at any time any female student or faculty member can walk up request a hot dog and throw it in his face. As many times as they want.

He’s have to do it for two full days of hot dog to the face wearing the horn dog costume.

We actually agree to some degree.

If this was a consensual superior/subordinate thing, the consequence should be measured with the impact on the participants. Some additional training, maybe a suspension and a statement of contrition. Provided both parties agree to waive future claims.

But if there’s any hint of potential blowback from the subordinate, the university has no option but to mitigate risk and cut ties.

Again.....too early to say what should happen. If it's nothing more than bangin' an intern.....maybe you are right. If it turns out that he had sex with an intern and he told her that having sex with him would get her a better recommendation.......that's an entirely different conversation. WSU needs to get the facts straight and react accordingly. Just because Gesser is an attractive BMOC doesn't give him the right to take advantage of his position at WSU to get laid. I don't want to see the guy punished unfairly, but I don't want to see him get away with things that he shouldn't have been doing just because he played football pretty well 16 years ago.

You're #2 is where we disagree. I don't feel like a person's personal life has any bearing on how they do their job, and IF this didn't happen within the framework of his job it would be a complete non-starter (at least for the WSU admin.) I don't feel like he holds enough of a leadership or ambassador position with the college that having a philanderer on staff makes any type of statement about who or what we are as an institution (see Ernie Kent).

Unfortunately it did happen at work, so it all matters.
See that's the thing. All of these "issues" are potentially "on the job" or were a result of his job. It does reflect on WSU. And that affects things in 4 ways:
1. He's going to turn off potential donors. He isn't going to be able to do his job affectively. My analogy of President Clinton. A good portion of the country thought he was slimy as hell. Others didn't. When you are trying to raise funds, you can't have ANY portion thinking your slimy.
2. The risk of accusations (like now) is huge. It eventually comes out. It just does. And someone will have an axe to grind. And then it becomes a legal thing. So legally.
3. If he was/is a man-whore, I'm sorry, I'm no prude (far from it, actually!) but I don't want that to be our moniker, either. Our image. For donors, he is our Ambassador. And that's a big deal. And a good percentage of our base would look at this in a very negative light. Another portion will say, "No harm, no foul, whatever". I'd like to keep our image in a positive light for everyone. Not just a portion.
4. So many times, this kind of activity snowballs. If true, this kind of stuff becomes more aggressive and many times more "in the open". And that will affect his job in every way. You have to nip this in the bud before it becomes a true liability by yours AND my standard, if you get my drift.

Like I said, I'm truly in a wait and see pattern. I'm not making any true judgements. But I also have my eyes open. This isn't looking good.

If all he did was tell an intern she had a hot a$$, then he'll probably be let go, then be back on the Pac12 Network or on someone's coaching staff in a couple years. Basically what happened to Harold Reynolds, right?

Well crap. $5 says that some lady who otherwise would have said/done nothing realized that maybe she could make some coin off of WSU by coming forward.

This country s u c k s now.

Everybody is over sensitive everybody throws a fit about the tinyest thing.

Honestly I think that’s why Trump won. People were tired of being told they are sexist if they didn’t vote for Clinton, people are tired of being told they are racist if they vote republican, people are tired of being told what to say what to do how to vote and if they don’t do it _____ way then they “are the worst person ever” blah blah blah. Lot of people who aren’t sexist who aren’t racist who just want somebody to tell everybody else to F off sounded good to them and that’s why Trump won.

Sexual misconduct is serious and it should be investigated but still what exactly did Gesser do. That’s what I want to know.

Having intern flown to place. Who cares interns go places.

Having an affair with intern. Who cares if it was consensual.

Getting a cutie text. Okay reprimand don’t do that again.

Human beings are human beings. They are going to have sex, say stupid stuff, hit on people, blah blah blah. We are animals. We are not perfect emotionless robots.

The real question is. How far are we willing to go to ruin people’s lives? Does the punishment fit the crime?

Also I will say this. I think we are moving to people recording every single conversation ever at all times, and I can guarantee there will be a lot of horrible stuff happening in the future to women who do bad stuff too. The law is equal opportunity. So if some girl tells her friend she was to hook up a coworker she should be fired her career ruined too.

No no blah blah blah men men men. If you do something that may offend “someone” man or woman fire them ruin their lives make it hard for them to work anywhere ever again this is the societ we apparently want so let’s see it work both ways.

Sexual misconduct as a political statement? Maybe JG can assert a First Amendment defense!

Well perhaps I was wrong. Former nanny, and she's gone public. My first question is whether this was at his home or at the fundraiser or somewhere in between. 2nd - was she a student-athlete at the time?

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/sep/17/wsu-places-jason-gesser-on-administrative-leave-fo/

Former Nanny who wasn’t a WSU student or Employee at the time of the report.

“She graduated from WSU in 2014. In December of that year, she landed a job as an assistant volleyball coach at St. Martin’s University, a Division II school located in Lacey, Washington.

Then in June, 2015, Bodeau received a text from Jason Gesser inviting her to attend fund raiser in Tumwater.”

Former Nanny who wasn’t a WSU student or Employee at the time of the report.

“She graduated from WSU in 2014. In December of that year, she landed a job as an assistant volleyball coach at St. Martin’s University, a Division II school located in Lacey, Washington.

Then in June, 2015, Bodeau received a text from Jason Gesser inviting her to attend fund raiser in Tumwater.”

Your point?

What I think is maybe she was
Your point?

Not an internal school matter. She’s just a regular citizen. If she wants to file a criminal complaint she can.

She says text messages and what not were exchanged there should be records of those interactions and we’ll see if what she said is true or she is a liar.

What I think is maybe she was

Not an internal school matter. She’s just a regular citizen. If she wants to file a criminal complaint she can.

She says text messages and what not were exchanged there should be records of those interactions and we’ll see if what she said is true or she is a liar.

If her story is true, what do you think WSU should do?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT