ADVERTISEMENT

New CU coach

Dorrell won't help the Pac-12 improve it's reputation. Unless handing opponents an easy win each week helps prevent us from eating our own.

Wow! I don’t know what he’s really been up to since UCLA.
From the Football Scoop article:

"Dorrell has worked almost exclusively in the NFL ranks since, coaching wide receivers and quarterbacks for the Miami Dolphins, Houston Texans, New York Jets and the Dolphins again. He spent 2014 as Vanderbilt’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

He spent 2019 as Brian Flores’s wide receivers coach in Miami and was promoted to assistant head coach on Friday."

Maybe Dorrell has learned something since the days when he failed with a team of very good athletes at UCLA. When Mora took over from Dorrell, he promptly had three straight 9 regular season win seasons. Mora couldn't recruit and dropped after he used up what Dorrell left him. Dorrell could recruit, but could not do much else right from a college HC perspective.

I guess we'll have to see how it goes.

Maybe Dorrell has learned something since the days when he failed with a team of very good athletes at UCLA. When Mora took over from Dorrell, he promptly had three straight 9 regular season win seasons. Mora couldn't recruit and dropped after he used up what Dorrell left him. Dorrell could recruit, but could not do much else right from a college HC perspective.

Dorrell also had the misfortune of coaching in LA while Carroll was at USC.

Dorrell also had the misfortune of coaching in LA while Carroll was at USC.
Yep, couldn't pay the recruits nearly as much as ol Petey could. Best move Carrol made was moving to a league where paying the players is legal...

Yep, couldn't pay the recruits nearly as much as ol Petey could. Best move Carrol made was moving to a league where paying the players is legal...
Pete Carroll never paid recruits while at USC. They had a great staff of recruiting, including himself and perhaps the greatest recruiter of them all, current LSU coach Ed Orgeron. Plus, Carrol is just a great coach who will be in the Hall of Fame.

Pete Carroll never paid recruits while at USC. They had a great staff of recruiting, including himself and perhaps the greatest recruiter of them all, current LSU coach Ed Orgeron. Plus, Carrol is just a great coach who will be in the Hall of Fame.
Reggie Bush? Sanctions on the program? I must be misremembering...

I always kinda chuckle at how many people let what he's done with the Hawks make them forget how dirty his SC program was.

The payments were made by “marketing agents” or Snoop Dogg or whoever.

The payments were made by “marketing agents” or Snoop Dogg or whoever.
Payments were made by a wannabe agent to the parents of Reggie Bush, who thought that this would help him to become Reggie Bush's agent. Pete Carroll was never connected in any report to any payments.

Todd McNair was the one coach tied to the scandal. He has material proof that the wannabe agent lied (phone records) to the NCAA. His legal case against the NCAA is still pending. The only person tying McNair to any payments was the word of the wannabe agent, who as I wrote, lied.

The judge who granted McNair a new trial wrote that the infractions committee's report was false "in several material ways."

Last edited:
1990, I have to point out that when Reggie parked his very expensive vehicle next to the practice field every day, Pete could only be ignorant if he chose to be so.

And yes, I know for an absolute first hand fact that happened for his entire last season. Pete was dirty. He didn't hand out the cash himself, and in fact I personally doubt that any of his assistants did, either. But he knew and encouraged. He was complicit by any definition that would matter. He was one of those "just win, baby!" guys. And his administration & alums loved it.

Reactions: 79COUG
1990, I have to point out that when Reggie parked his very expensive vehicle next to the practice field every day, Pete could only be ignorant if he chose to be so.

And yes, I know for an absolute first hand fact that happened for his entire last season. Pete was dirty. He didn't hand out the cash himself, and in fact I personally doubt that any of his assistants did, either. But he knew and encouraged. He was complicit by any definition that would matter. He was one of those "just win, baby!" guys. And his administration & alums loved it.
Bullshit. Again, the report did not find him guilty of anything. Do you really believe that Bush was the only player with an expensive car? Do you believe only poor African American kids play football? Heck, his roommate, Matt Leinart, came from a family worth north of a hundred million. By the way, Bush's car was not an expensive car. That is also a falsehood. It was an older model car that when it was new was expensive, but it wasn't when he was driving the car.

This story of USC and Pete Carroll being corrupt is as false as the story of Leach locking Adam James in a shed or Leach abusing WSU players including Marquess Wilson.

Bullshit. Again, the report did not find him guilty of anything. Do you really believe that Bush was the only player with an expensive car? Do you believe only poor African American kids play football? Heck, his roommate, Matt Leinart, came from a family worth north of a hundred million. By the way, Bush's car was not an expensive car. That is also a falsehood. It was an older model car that when it was new was expensive, but it wasn't when he was driving the car.

This story of USC and Pete Carroll being corrupt is as false as the story of Leach locking Adam James in a shed or Leach abusing WSU players including Marquess Wilson.

Leach was essentially exonerated. Pete was found not guilty.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnHi7KOxCA

Under the heading “glass houses”... Derek Sparks drove a white BMW with personalized plates (“FIVE”) while he played for the Cougs. And, he’s openly admitted that he was a mercenary in high school. Maybe he drove it up from California, but there’s certainly room for doubt.

Under the heading “glass houses”... Derek Sparks drove a white BMW with personalized plates (“FIVE”) while he played for the Cougs. And, he’s openly admitted that he was a mercenary in high school. Maybe he drove it up from California, but there’s certainly room for doubt.

And he had to park in a different place each day so the repo men couldn’t find it.

95, I don't argue with your point. But Carroll clearly knew about Bush. He could probably claim to not know the details, because he tried very hard NOT to know the details. But he knew, and the alums who spent dirty money to support the program and then enjoyed direct access to Pete as quid pro quo surely expected a pat on the back for their support. It was discussed directly with Pete from that direction, if not others.

I am not Pete Carroll's brother in law, or a big fan. I also don't call "bullshit". In fact, I don't do the things on this board that many do. Let's be clear about a few things.

Pete knew what was going on in his program. He is a very smart, very capable coach. Also an excellent recruiter and motivator. We are not discussing Pete's strengths. We are discussing whether he made an effort to not know what would have been inconvenient to know. Of course he knew; to suggest otherwise is pretty naive. It was recognized here at the time and the narrative has never been disproved. There was not enough evidence to successfully convict Pete of anything. Hence, he was not convicted of anything and no accusations were proved. That is a long way from innocence. I also don't believe OJ was innocent. Sue me.

I didn't mention Leinart; not sure what that has to do with the conversation.

As for the car, for the record, a mint black on black '96 Impala with the race engine and tranny was a hot street car in 2004. Add in the other additions...custom wheels, stereo that would shake the practice field goal posts, alarm system, etc....and it wasn't a cheap car. All in, at least $16K. Was it a Mercedes? No, but nobody was running Mercedes in South LA in 2004. The Impala was a premium American version of a street car for the time. And poor kids were not driving them. Certainly not kids whose parents got booted out of their home and had a suburban tract roof over their head due to the sports connection.

If you believe that Pete deserves sainthood and has been unjustly accused, then God bless you.

Dorrell was replaced by Neuheisel. Then Mora.

Anyone else have any idea what CUBuffs are thinking? I always like to see the guys who are counted out redeeming themselves (Oregon), and wouldn't mind seeing bring the Buffs back to glory, but...geez. Don't understand the preoccupation with the NFL. Sounds like he was a great assistant coach, but from way up here in the cheap seats it seems like getting left at the altar, and then proposing to the ugly rich girl.

Coaches get in that position of a head coach cause they do know everything. The smart ones keep enough space where there is plausible deniability.

Mike Price made it to a frat before his players made it there when I think McEndoo got the crap beat out of his as a freshman . Mike Leach knee about the party 10 minutes after it happened where the fights broke out.

Don James knee Daniake Smith was at risk and later was busted for selling coke.

About 5 years ago I was at an AAU girls tourney for my 12 year old at the time . I was in the lobby of the Hilton Garden talking to some coaches and parents and having a drink . There was a parent of a girl who would be scheduled to go to Issaquah High and another parent of a future Skyline player. I asked them the following question.. since your respective schools are in the same conference as Bellevue , why no one has turned in Bellevue . Everyone knows that some of the players are not really in the Bellevue service area . They looked at each other (you may figure out why they did that ) then proceeded to tell me who was illegal, who was financing the whole thing, who was the landlord . Gave me names of everyone involved . So the common sense question for me is ... if parents of kids of girl basketball players not even in high school yet have all this information , how could any coach not know?

Butch knew. Pete Carroll knew. Very little happens in the program with the head coach knowing .

Reactions: 79COUG
Wow! You remember as well. Wonder what happened to Zupan? My guess is that he joined one of those revolutionary armies.

Haha! I didn't think too many would get that reference. I always liked Zupan.

I did find his fascination with Karl Dorrell and his idea to hand out kazoos at Martin stadium amusing. Hope he's ok.

Last edited:

100%. Practice, film sessions, training room, tutoring...100s of hours. these coaches know everything about these kids, their parents, the cars they drive, their girlfriends. Especially their stars. 19/20 year olds like to show off too. It’s foolish to think Pete wasn’t aware of shenanigans- he looked the other way...at best. At worst he knew a guy who knew a guy.

100%. Practice, film sessions, training room, tutoring...100s of hours. these coaches know everything about these kids, their parents, the cars they drive, their girlfriends. Especially their stars. 19/20 year olds like to show off too. It’s foolish to think Pete wasn’t aware of shenanigans- he looked the other way...at best. At worst he knew a guy who knew a guy.
Coaches do not know as much as you believe. Not even close. They do not micro manage players lives. Heck, they don't have much contact with them as mandated by the NCAA during many off periods. They care about players making grades, practices and games. I'm not foolish either. You guys are way overselling coaches involvement. They are coaches, not private investigators.

Coaches do not know as much as you believe. Not even close. They do not micro manage players lives. Heck, they don't have much contact with them as mandated by the NCAA during many off periods. They care about players making grades, practices and games. I'm not foolish either. You guys are way overselling coaches involvement. They are coaches, not private investigators.

Based on the HBO show that covered the Cougs last fall.....I think it depends on the coach. Mazza acted like he wasn't sure if Leach knew his name and would recognize him without a uniform on. A lot of it has to do with the coaches choosing to be ignorant because they want plausible deniability. The problem with that is that the NCAA has made it clear to universities and coaches for 20 years that excuse isn't supposed to work.

As someone above said, players are young and dumb and are going to show off, so to some degree, the coaches have to know when something is a little suspect, but I'd bet that most of them are pretty quick to say, "I don't want to hear about it" in the hopes it won't burn them down the road.

Based on the HBO show that covered the Cougs last fall.....I think it depends on the coach. Mazza acted like he wasn't sure if Leach knew his name and would recognize him without a uniform on. A lot of it has to do with the coaches choosing to be ignorant because they want plausible deniability. The problem with that is that the NCAA has made it clear to universities and coaches for 20 years that excuse isn't supposed to work.

As someone above said, players are young and dumb and are going to show off, so to some degree, the coaches have to know when something is a little suspect, but I'd bet that most of them are pretty quick to say, "I don't want to hear about it" in the hopes it won't burn them down the road.

He sure seemed aware when kids tweeted. Very little goes on without the head coach knowing. You don't think John Wooden knew about the booster who helped the program out?

How did James know about the loans Billy Dough Hobert received? How did James know that Daniake Smith as Don James said in an interview with Kevin Wall on KJR "he was hanging around the wrong people so we brought him back in to the Cannabear Shell House to keep an eye on him."

No, you are way underestimating what the coaches know and don't know.

How did James know about the loans Billy Dough Hobert received? How did James know that Daniake Smith as Don James said in an interview with Kevin Wall on KJR "he was hanging around the wrong people so we brought him back in to the Cannabear Shell House to keep an eye on him."

No, you are way underestimating what the coaches know and don't know.

By way of analogy, my father was a high school teacher. He knew EVERYTHING that was going on with his students.

I attended the same school as where he taught. I recall coming home one time and he directly asked me if I was going to the keggar that night out on such and such road....

I was little miffed that he knew about the keggar and I didn't.

Coaches know.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT