ADVERTISEMENT

New details Thread

That is one question that all will keep asking, I don't get it, you hear noise, see a stranger in mask, and why no immediate call to the police. I guess at the time it would be hard to even imagine what had actually happened, still the lack of immediate action by the roommates is hard to understand.
Only thing I can think of is underage drinking or illicit drugs, and must have been afraid to call.

It still doesn't make any sense.

I wasn’t 100% sure that was truly the case, especially bc they wouldnt release the 911 call. It now looks like their reasoning for that was they didn’t want to reveal there was a witness but the time was accurate. Especially since they now know he returned to the scene at 9 the next morning.
With the gag order there is probably a lot of things that will remain a mystery for a long time.

Yeah, I just don't understand elements of that part of the story. Only explanation I can come up with for the roommate was that she was in an altered state. But, remembering the voice ("there's someone here"), the crying, and the masked man in black, and being afraid enough to lock herself in her room, I don't know why she didn't call someone.

Also not sure why the killer just walked by her - the way the story was related it seems likely he saw her.

Also not sure why ISP is moving mattresses in pickups. Surely they have access to a box truck.

Reactions: wsudefense
Yeah, I just don't understand elements of that part of the story. Only explanation I can come up with for the roommate was that she was in an altered state. But, remembering the voice ("there's someone here"), the crying, and the masked man in black, and being afraid enough to lock herself in her room, I don't know why she didn't call someone.

Also not sure why the killer just walked by her - the way the story was related it seems likely he saw her.

Also not sure why ISP is moving mattresses in pickups. Surely they have access to a box truck.
I’d also guessing they are looking hard for evidence in the area south of Moscow it appeared he went until he turned his phone back on.

If you think about everything that happened in a matter of what…10 minutes? People were awake a door dash driver came by, dog barking…it was a complete cluster F. I’m not surprised he didn’t see her, he peeled out and was trying to get the F outa dodge. He was probably shocked with everything that went down that he didn’t pass the police on his way out of there. I don’t think for a minute he spared her, I’m guessing Ethan surprised him too. If he’d seen her she’d be dead too.

Also there’s no way she would have “made up” this story as somehow an involved party. If she was somehow in on it she’d have just said she slept through it. You wouldn’t make up something that everyone would say…WTF?! I think there’s some very important pieces missing from this that will come out in time.

If you think about everything that happened in a matter of what…10 minutes? People were awake a door dash driver came by, dog barking…it was a complete cluster F. I’m not surprised he didn’t see her, he peeled out and was trying to get the F outa dodge. He was probably shocked with everything that went down that he didn’t pass the police on his way out of there. I don’t think for a minute he spared her, I’m guessing Ethan surprised him too. If he’d seen her she’d be dead too.

Also there’s no way she would have “made up” this story as somehow an involved party. If she was somehow in on it she’d have just said she slept through it. You wouldn’t make up something that everyone would say…WTF?! I think there’s some very important pieces missing from this that will come out in time.
The only part of that I think I disagree with is that he was shocked. If he was shocked and/or alarmed by anything, I think he'd be running to get out, and it doesn't sound like he was ("the male walked past DM as she stood in a 'frozen shock phase.' The male walked toward the back sliding glass door.").

Maybe she was just peeking through her door and he didn't see her...the language of the affidavit isn't that specific.

I have my own theories, but my chief one is this: this was too well executed to be a first time. Maybe he's never killed 4, but he's killed before. I think a couple of details in this case couldn't be entirely anticipated, but he dealt with them without panicking.

The only part of that I think I disagree with is that he was shocked. If he was shocked and/or alarmed by anything, I think he'd be running to get out, and it doesn't sound like he was ("the male walked past DM as she stood in a 'frozen shock phase.' The male walked toward the back sliding glass door.").

Maybe she was just peeking through her door and he didn't see her...the language of the affidavit isn't that specific.

I have my own theories, but my chief one is this: this was too well executed to be a first time. Maybe he's never killed 4, but he's killed before. I think a couple of details in this case couldn't be entirely anticipated, but he dealt with them without panicking.
Saw a news report that indicated Pennsylvania law enforcement are now running the DNA versus existing cold cases there.

Saw a news report that indicated Pennsylvania law enforcement are now running the DNA versus existing cold cases there.
He drove from Pa to Pullman as well. Lots of miles of interstate to look at as well though that doesn’t appear to be his MO.

Yeah, I think there was another jurisdiction looking too. Not just DNA, but looking for similarities in methods. It’ll be interesting to see what comes up.

Possible there could be more along his driving route, but impulse kills don’t seem to fit. He seems to have scouted this one out for a while.

New thought: maybe the 911 call - apparently originally for an unconscious person - was reporting the surviving roommate, not one of the victims? Was she still locked in her room at that point and wasn’t answering?

New thought: maybe the 911 call - apparently originally for an unconscious person - was reporting the surviving roommate, not one of the victims? Was she still locked in her room at that point and wasn’t answering?
Absolutely could be. People who are ripping her aren’t thinking about the psychology of fight or flight when faced with real danger. You aren’t in control at that point and your lizard brain instincts just take over. Some people will fight to the death, some will curl up in a ball and freeze…potentially for hours, and everything in between. That poor girl is going to have nightmares and need therapy for the rest of her life.

What’s creepy I own one of those knives he used and it’s in my closet and every time I open my closet it stares at me.

What’s creepy I own one of those knives he used and it’s in my closet and every time I open my closet it stares at me.
There are a lot of those knives in circulation. Most of them didn't leave their sheath at a murder scene.

When they were canvassing stores to see if anyone had sold one, it seemed a little like grasping at straws. Didn't seem like it would narrow their suspect pool all that much. It's pretty clear now what they were doing.

What's creepy now are the reports that the suspect may have been posting on social media groups dedicated to the murders, giving oddly specific details. One post mentioned that he believed the PD must have found the sheath, for example. I don't know the details of how the digital footprints work, but it seems likely that he created yet another trail of breadcrumbs leading back to himself that are going to come back to bite him.

Reactions: wsudefense
There are a lot of those knives in circulation. Most of them didn't leave their sheath at a murder scene.

When they were canvassing stores to see if anyone had sold one, it seemed a little like grasping at straws. Didn't seem like it would narrow their suspect pool all that much. It's pretty clear now what they were doing.

What's creepy now are the reports that the suspect may have been posting on social media groups dedicated to the murders, giving oddly specific details. One post mentioned that he believed the PD must have found the sheath, for example. I don't know the details of how the digital footprints work, but it seems likely that he created yet another trail of breadcrumbs leading back to himself that are going to come back to bite him.
Sometimes the smartest guys are the dumbest.

Reactions: 79COUG

Either he wanted to get caught quickly or wanted draw it out for the long time like other serial killers who left clues. He just wasn’t very street smart.

Or he panicked and made a mistake when he realized Z was awake and he had to abort his original plan.

I’ll also be surprised if there’s not more DNA at the scene.

Or he panicked and made a mistake when he realized Z was awake and he had to abort his original plan.

Gotta be. And I imagine his apartment was a treasure trove of evidence. Plus the car, there’s no way there’s not DNA of at least one of the victims found there. Just hope they don’t draw this out..take your medicine and let the families begin to heal.

It wasn't well executed though.

I learned that in my years in the mortgage biz. More often than not, the people(and their professions') that are held in the highest esteem are some of the dumbest people I've come across.

It is a most interesting phenomenon.
'
Well...this is like our political class.

It’s standard operating procedure.

Realizing that we are early in the processes and don't have the complete picture...and as our resident attorney, do you think his lawyers will conclude they need to negotiate for a life sentence for him?

There’s definitely going to be more, they wouldn’t tip everything in the PC affidavit. What’s there is just enough to get approval for the arrest…and it’s pretty convincing all by itself. Wouldn’t be surprised if they have more of his DNA from the scene, and at least one victim’s from his apartment. I’m assuming that he was bright enough to ditch the knife and his clothes, but maybe not. Waiting a month to clean the car wasn’t very smart (I’m assuming that was to destroy evidence, since he dumped it in the neighbors’ trash).

I’ve read he cleaned it thoroughly (“every inch”) but if there was any blood I seriously doubt he’ll get it all. They don’t need much anymore, and they will tear that car apart looking for the slightest spot.

What do you think will eventually happen to the King Rd property?

1. The County somehow buys the property and house from the owner at market value, then bulldozes it to create a memorial park?

2. Let's face it. The owner/landlord will never be able to rent the house again, at least for 30 years.

3. Would the feds, or someone, some organization, kick in some money for the county to buy the property and create a park?

I just cannot see how the present owner will ever be able to reasonably market his rental property again.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

1. The County somehow buys the property and house from the owner at market value, then bulldozes it to create a memorial park?

2. Let's face it. The owner/landlord will never be able to rent the house again, at least for 30 years.

3. Would the feds, or someone, some organization, kick in some money for the county to buy the property and create a park?

I just cannot see how the present owner will ever be able to reasonably market his rental property again.

Any thoughts?
I agree you won’t be able to sell it, I live in Oregon where ashley pond miranda gaddis were killed. The property has been for sale and no takers. The home was bulldozed and it still sits.

There’s definitely going to be more, they wouldn’t tip everything in the PC affidavit. What’s there is just enough to get approval for the arrest…and it’s pretty convincing all by itself. Wouldn’t be surprised if they have more of his DNA from the scene, and at least one victim’s from his apartment. I’m assuming that he was bright enough to ditch the knife and his clothes, but maybe not. Waiting a month to clean the car wasn’t very smart (I’m assuming that was to destroy evidence, since he dumped it in the neighbors’ trash).

I’ve read he cleaned it thoroughly (“every inch”) but if there was any blood I seriously doubt he’ll get it all. They don’t need much anymore, and they will tear that car apart looking for the slightest spot.

It is my understanding that it is impossible(or pretty damn close) to thoroughly clean a car as to get rid of all of the dna evidence if a forensic team is looking for it.

As to your earlier quote about this not being the first, I tend to agree but there seems to be a little disagreement amongst the experts in the field.

Most agree that it isn't his first but Candance Delong, a respected criminal profiler, think it is. And I think I recall another person suspecting it was his first.

I think most agree that he was an incel and had rage against women.

Any thoughts?
Probably end up like the Aryan Nations compound in Hayden. Once that nut job was sued into oblivion his little den of evil was bulldozed and there is a Human Rights museum on the property. I like the idea of a park to commemorate the victims. Perhaps the city of Moscow could buy it or a grassroots group could raise the money to purchase it?

I thought this was a pretty good interview.

As an aside...have you ever heard Megyn Kelly drop an F bomb? Pretty damn funny.

I thought this was a pretty good interview.

As an aside...have you ever heard Megyn Kelly drop an F bomb? Pretty damn funny.

These people are always a little too proud of themselves. Reminds me of Die Hard where they parody this exact thing with the interview with the author of "Hostage terrorist, terrorist hostage: a study in duality".

Reactions: spongeandshoot
I agree you won’t be able to sell it, I live in Oregon where ashley pond miranda gaddis were killed. The property has been for sale and no takers. The home was bulldozed and it still sits.

BTK's house in Park City was put up for auction by his wife after his arrest and conviction. The female owner of a strip club called "Michelle's Beach House" was the high bidder. The City of Park City said, "NOPE!" to the idea of her buying it and they wouldn't allow the sale to go through. The city ended up buying the house and bulldozing it so that it couldn't end up as some kind of circus oddity. I think it's a pocket park now.

All of the houses where BTK murdered people ended up being owned by other people and as far as I know, they are still around today.

Realizing that we are early in the processes and don't have the complete picture...and as our resident attorney, do you think his lawyers will conclude they need to negotiate for a life sentence for him?
Don't really do criminal. I remember reading it's been quite some time since Idaho executed someone. If a plea is reached seems like life without parole would be the only possibility.

Any thoughts?
I may be more cynical than you, but I think it's a college town and there's always a shortage of rentals. If the owner wanted to, he'd get takers. Maybe not next year, and probably not women, and it would require a remodel...but someone would rent it. It's also surrounded by apartments and other rentals, so the memory may be shorter than you'd think. However...and this is more relevant if the owner is a local...public opinion will not favor renting it anytime soon. If he slaps on a coat of paint and puts it on the market, he'll be vilified.

I don't think the feds will be involved. The city/county might do something, but I think it's more likely a community organization would buy it for a memorial and gift it to UI. It'll be the kind of gift UI doesn't want, but will be obligated to take.

Don't really do criminal. I remember reading it's been quite some time since Idaho executed someone. If a plea is reached seems like life without parole would be the only possibility.
Idaho has executed 3 since the court put the death penalty back on the table. Last one was in 2012. They were going to execute one last month, but couldn't get the chemicals for the lethal injection. That's the only approved method in Idaho.

Idaho prisons should do a quick revisit of their rules and put in another option - the state's, not the prisoner's. And they should move to carbon monoxide. Quick, easy, cheap, and not subject to the PC whims of pharmaceutical companies.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT