ADVERTISEMENT

New details Thread

I'm a bit surprised that it's taken this long however the university has now allowed the families to retrieve their murdered children's belongings from the house.
I understand that the attorneys and the police needed time to process the crime scene but it just seems like a very long delay.
Their belongings were packed up long ago and returned to their families.

Their belongings were packed up long ago and returned to their families.

Interesting because this came out today....

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
I just read this in today's DNews. Perhaps the authorities had other personal items? Not very clear, is it.

Thanks for the link - it confirms that the house won't be torn down until hazard remediation has been done. Many of us hoped the house would be torn down over spring break.

Last edited:
Reactions: 79COUG
I'm a bit surprised that it's taken this long however the university has now allowed the families to retrieve their murdered children's belongings from the house.
I understand that the attorneys and the police needed time to process the crime scene but it just seems like a very long delay.
What I don't F-ing understand is why the next court date is in June. I mean WTF do they need to do between now and then? Uncover more evidence?

What I don't F-ing understand is why the next court date is in June. I mean WTF do they need to do between now and then? Uncover more evidence?
I agree loyal. I'm sure the defense is asking for as much time as possible. Given the myriad of loopholes in today's judicial system the prosecutor is probably being very mindful of potential reasons for appeals down the road. They can have a rock solid case but one slipup because of a technicality could throw any conviction out the window.

The defense asked for the delay (waived the right for a speedy trial) so they could have more time to review the discovery items.

I'm sure it isn't a coincidence that they have the date set when U of I will be out for the summer.

The defense asked for the delay (waived the right for a speedy trial) so they could have more time to review the discovery items.

I'm sure it isn't a coincidence that they have the date set when U of I will be out for the summer.
There’s also no way they’re getting a jury that close to the event. The defense is probably also studying change of venue, and where they want it to go.

I don’t think the UI summer break is really meaningful at this point, because June is just another hearing. He’s not going to trial then. I doubt the trial starts in 2023. The defense will push it out as far as they can..and I’ll be shocked if there’s not at least one change of defense counsel before it goes to trial, which will cause another delay. My bet is he’s not convicted before the 2 year mark.

Lori Vallow was found guilty today in the murder of her two children.

Pay attention to the penalty phase in this trial. The crime was horrific. It will foretell what fate awaits the accused in the Moscow murders.

Lori Vallow was found guilty today in the murder of her two children.

Pay attention to the penalty phase in this trial. The crime was horrific. It will foretell what fate awaits the accused in the Moscow murders.
I think she deserves the needle even more. Might as well give it to both of them though.

And I hope they both suffer through every day in prison while they wait.

I think she deserves the needle even more. Might as well give it to both of them though.

And I hope they both suffer through every day in prison while they wait.
She's a woman. Much less likely she'll get the death penalty.

Full indictment will be made public today according to the SR. Possible new information?

And to those more versed, why would they go the Grand jury route?

Full indictment will be made public today according to the SR. Possible new information?

Preliminary hearings take more time and also reveal a lot more of the evidence/legal strategy on the front side.

Release of the indictment doesn’t mean any evidence will be revealed. But this further supports that there’s enough there to implicate him.

Still expect it’ll be at least another year before it goes to trial. There will be a change of venue and probably a change of counsel before that happens.

I have no real expectation that this will happen, but if he pleads guilty this whole thing is going to be a bit of an anticlimax.

Edit: My word choice above could be taken as minimizing this somehow, which wasn’t my intent. There’s certainly advantages to a guilty plea - chief among them not dragging the families through what promises to be a public circus of a trial. But, I think information and answers are more likely to come from a trial, where a guilty plea might leave a lot of things unanswered and up for endless speculation.

Last edited:
I have no real expectation that this will happen, but if he pleads guilty this whole thing is going to be a bit of an anticlimax.
His only hope is he’s committed other crimes and he cuts a deal to save himself from death.

And even then, not so sure the State of Idaho is in any mood to do so. This crime tore the heart out of the region. It was worse than when Shasta and Dylan Groene were abducted.

Again, keep an eye on Lori Vallow’s sentencing. If they execute her, this guy doesn’t have a prayer.

His only hope is he’s committed other crimes and he cuts a deal to save himself from death.

And even then, not so sure the State of Idaho is in any mood to do so. This crime tore the heart out of the region. It was worse than when Shasta and Dylan Groene were abducted.

Again, keep an eye on Lori Vallow’s sentencing. If they execute her, this guy doesn’t have a prayer.
Oh yeah, Idaho will fry him.

What really is starting to bum me is how did such a creep make into a PhD program at WSU in the first place? In Crim J no less? I mean just look at him - you can tell he's a creep. This is a big black eye for my beloved Cougs. Which luckily the media has pretty much left us out of it. Everyone who had a hand in his admittance should be fired.

What really is starting to bum me is how did such a creep make into a PhD program at WSU in the first place? In Crim J no less? I mean just look at him - you can tell he's a creep. This is a big black eye for my beloved Cougs. Which luckily the media has pretty much left us out of it. Everyone who had a hand in his admittance should be fired.
$$$$$

And here I thought it was going to be quiet now that the students are gone.

Maybe I'll run into Nancy Grace at Winco.
My daughter has done a couple of visits to the U of I recently. Lots of comments about what a safe campus it was including our tour guide saying she’d never been afraid walking on campus at U of I. Big elephant in the room no one (understandably) wants to acknowledge.

I do think it will be one of the safest campuses in America going forward but it was if it never happened.

probably a change of counsel before that happens.
Yes, a change of counsel has been in the works for quite awhile now. I really can't divulge how I know but it's straight from the horses mouth. A very large retainer was paid by his family and said counsel is working behind the scenes and advising the public defender.

My daughter has done a couple of visits to the U of I recently. Lots of comments about what a safe campus it was including our tour guide saying she’d never been afraid walking on campus at U of I. Big elephant in the room no one (understandably) wants to acknowledge.

I do think it will be one of the safest campuses in America going forward but it was if it never happened.
I think it already was. Sad but true this could have literally happened anywhere. If BK did it, he could have chosen any one of dozens of crim j programs to attend, and it would have happened in another town. I think it’s ok to make this acknowledgment if you are UI. This wasn’t a safety issue it was pure randomness.

Have two daughters graduate U of I.

Never worried a single second about their safety. Great academics too at the undergrad level.

Once they get their basketball program righted, Idaho will be an awesome college experience. They’ve got football pointed in the right direction.

I'm not sure what kind of vetting system goes on for acceptance into a doctoral program, but short of a criminal record or glaring issues already made public, expecting an admission process to catch something like this is overkill. A helluva lot of PhD candidates have personality and social quirks. If there's anyone that's gonna be able to recognize a fatal flaw before it manifests, I think it's gonna be someone around him on a regular basis.

Reactions: Coug90
I'm not sure what kind of vetting system goes on for acceptance into a doctoral program, but short of a criminal record or glaring issues already made public, expecting an admission process to catch something like this is overkill. A helluva lot of PhD candidates have personality and social quirks. If there's anyone that's gonna be able to recognize a fatal flaw before it manifests, I think it's gonna be someone around him on a regular basis.
Yeah, this is a tough one. There’s lots of strange personalities out there who function in society quite well. Might get discharged from the military rather quickly after a mental eval, but they can find a profession and succeed. For every one of them who picks up a knife or a gun and goes bananas there’s a million who wouldn’t harm a fly.

Have two daughters graduate U of I.

Never worried a single second about their safety. Great academics too at the undergrad level.

Once they get their basketball program righted, Idaho will be an awesome college experience. They’ve got football pointed in the right direction.
90%+ my daughter will be a Vandal. She just got an offer from them last night. Damn proud of her.

Yeah, there’s no background check for student admissions. There could have been one for employment as a TA and/or research assistant, but that’s only going to find previous convictions, it’s not going to note if someone is creepy and weird.

Besides…if you’ve ever been around many Ph.Ds and/or doctoral students, you may have noticed that an extremely high percentage of them are just a bit off. I’d bet that most of us can recall at least one graduate TA we didn’t want to be alone in a room with (and maybe a couple we did).

Congrats to your daughter! Great place to go to school. Both Moscow and Pullman offer pretty darn cool college experiences.
She asked the track coach how many of the girls on the team were in the Greek system. Answer - 0.

Maybe not the same college experience a lot of the folks on here had.

"Prosecutors now have 60 days to alert the court if they plan to pursue the death penalty."

Why wait?

Interesting development.... seems like the judge loosed the reins a bit...
Not very much, they’re still not allowed to discuss anything that sheds real light on the case. Realistically, the gag order is a smart move. It’s already going to be tough to seat a jury. Allowing the media to keep blanketing the news with every little detail will make it impossible.

I don’t really understand the defense’s motion. For one thing, it ignores what has already been stated - they starting closing in on Kohberger within a week based on his car, the vague physical description from the roommate, and then his cell phone data. The DNA was just confirmation. The second thing I don’t get is, why would the prosecution not include those DNA steps in discovery? It’s not really that complicated a process. The defense motion makes it sound like genetic genealogy is complex and mysterious…but if you’ve got a match and access to the right records databases, it’s easy. Closer matches are obviously easier, but the process is not complicated.

Just announced they're seeking the death penalty. Per Moscow-Pullman Daily news:

Latah County Prosecutor Bill Thompson filed court documents today saying that his office will seek the death penalty against Bryan Kohberger in the Moscow quadruple murder case.
The documents were filed in 2nd District Court in Moscow this morning.
According to the documents, there are "statutory aggravating circumstances" in the case that led to this decision. Those statutory circumstances in Idaho code include:

• At the time of the murder, the defendant also committed another murder.
  • The murder was "especially heinous, atrocious or cruel, manifesting exceptional depravity."
  • The defendant "exhibited utter disregard for human life."
  • "The murder was committed in the perpetration of, or attempt to perpetrate, arson, rape, robbery, burglary, kidnapping or mayhem and the defendant killed, intended a killing, or acted with reckless indifference to human life."
  • The defendant showed "a propensity to commit murder which will probably constitute a continuing threat to society."
Kohberger faces four counts of first-degree murder and one count of burglary charge in the November stabbing deaths of University of Idaho students Kaylee Goncalves, Madison Mogen, Xana Kernodle and Ethan Chapin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT