ADVERTISEMENT

Next year's DC

GrayOnGray

Team Captain
Jul 8, 2012
Who do you see running the defense? Keep what we have? Clean house? What about Jim Leavitt, former Ducks DC, wanted Cristobal's job and not happy he didn't get it. Followed Taggart to FSU.

Who do you see running the defense? Keep what we have? Clean house? What about Jim Leavitt, former Ducks DC, wanted Cristobal's job and not happy he didn't get it. Followed Taggart to FSU.

I don't see us getting Leavitt unless it was clear he would be heir apparent for the head coach job if Mike Leach were to leave.

I've become more open to the idea of bringing back Ken Wilson as DC. I think the foundation of what Grinch was trying to do at WSU is the way forward for us. Young coach, high energy, attacking style speed defense.

Id be super happy with Leavitt. I would rather get a younger guy like Peter Sirmon who comes from the Wilcox tree and is an ace recruiter. Even Alexander the db coach at Cal would be solid. Coached under Kwitkowski and Alvarez at BSU. Anyone at Utah would be a good selection. Id be in favor of someone from the Pac 12 for west recruiting and league familiarity sake.

Id be super happy with Leavitt. I would rather get a younger guy like Peter Sirmon who comes from the Wilcox tree and is an ace recruiter. Even Alexander the db coach at Cal would be solid. Coached under Kwitkowski and Alvarez at BSU. Anyone at Utah would be a good selection. Id be in favor of someone from the Pac 12 for west recruiting and league familiarity sake.
Anyone who's proven themselves a good DC for some stretch of time and done well in recruiting before they became a coordinator. Some bios show a current DC who has done well and then gotten canned due to the HC being fired...then went to a team with no recruiting or bad players on defense and then got canned...only to do well under the right circumstances for an extended period of time. Or:

During his tenure with the Utes, Hill became acclaimed as a top recruiter. Rivals.com named him to its “Class of 2009 Top 25 Recruiters” and named him one of the Top 10 Recruiters in the Pac-12 in 2012. I doubt he'd go out of comfort zone too much, did win the Big Sky last year as a HC. He's organized, someone players and parents could easily respect and would double his salary. I have no doubt he'd make a good coordinator. Would someone like him get more exposure as a successful Pac12 DC rather than a HC in the Big Sky? Maybe. Let's say Grinch goes from being safety coach at Missouri to being hired as a HC in the Big Sky and brings a formerly losing program to a winning record. I bet he'd be no more popular than Jay Hill right now.

The type of DC we get obviously depends on whether or not Leach returns. Hopefully the coaching carousel quiets down by the middle of December.

For sure we need a real DC, and I’d be thrilled to see a new a DBs coach—I’ve watched our players closely this season and our DBs have no technique whatsoever.

Leavitt would be a good hire, but as others have mentioned, we could have a tough time getting him. He's a Kansas State / Snyder guy at heart, though, and Leach is similar to Snyder (in some ways) and has said he wants to run a program like Snyder did. Leavitt's apparent desire to be a head coach at Kansas State also is out the window for now and he's an analyst on a doomed Florida State staff. Being a DC in the Pac-12, especially with the opp to stick it to Oregon, could be attractive. He's not a recruiter, though.

If you asked me whether I'd want to pay Leavitt $900k a year to be a non-recruiting DC, or instead to hire Wilson as the DC for $600k, I'd go with Wilson, and it wouldn't really be close. Was a DC, understands speed D, has worked under some good DCs recently and both knows how to recruit and has a lot of recruiting connections in places that are useful to WSU.

Reactions: GrayOnGray
I'd tell the current co coordinators, if you shut out UW on Friday, the job is yours next year.

It has to been somebody who can coach the defense like Leach coaches the offense. Need to figure out how to make the most out of the least they have. I'll be looking at DC that are successful at challenging places like WSU. Getting a big name probably won't solve this issue. Needs to be somebody that has a system, can recruit and develop to it. It might not be someone who has no experience calling a defense, it could be someone like Wilson, but doubt Leach will bring him back. I was thinking of Gerald Alexander from Cal, their DB coach or they might have to dip into FCS. I know that scares people because of Breske. Andy Thompson at Sac State just helped them go from 2-8, to 9-3 and a share of the Big Sky Title.

Interesting thing about Sirmon is being from Walla Walla maybe he would want to come home. Don't know what he makes, but I do know $700k in Pullman goes A lot further than $900k in Berkeley. Plus if Wilcox goes 6-6 again next year is seat might be getting warm.

Anyone who's proven themselves a good DC for some stretch of time and done well in recruiting before they became a coordinator. Some bios show a current DC who has done well and then gotten canned due to the HC being fired...then went to a team with no recruiting or bad players on defense and then got canned...only to do well under the right circumstances for an extended period of time. Or:

During his tenure with the Utes, Hill became acclaimed as a top recruiter. Rivals.com named him to its “Class of 2009 Top 25 Recruiters” and named him one of the Top 10 Recruiters in the Pac-12 in 2012. I doubt he'd go out of comfort zone too much, did win the Big Sky last year as a HC. He's organized, someone players and parents could easily respect and would double his salary. I have no doubt he'd make a good coordinator. Would someone like him get more exposure as a successful Pac12 DC rather than a HC in the Big Sky? Maybe. Let's say Grinch goes from being safety coach at Missouri to being hired as a HC in the Big Sky and brings a formerly losing program to a winning record. I bet he'd be no more popular than Jay Hill right now.
I really like Jay Hill but also wonder, aside from the salary increase, if Hill might consider giving up an FCS head coaching job to become a P5 DC as a step backwards. On the other hand, if his goal is to one day become an FBS head coach, it might be better to have a coordinator's job at that level on the resume. He's been very successful at Weber State and certainly knows a thing or two about defensive football after serving on Whittingham's staff as cornerback/special teams coach. Also served as an administrative assistant for Urban Meyer.

The $$$ WSU would have to spend to land Leavitt would be wiser spent on attracting a much better position coach(es) on defense....while still hiring a competent DC.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Jay Hill has done a great job at Weber that is for sure. If I was a MWC school like UNLV or New Mexico Hill would def be on the top of my list.

I don't see us getting Leavitt unless it was clear he would be heir apparent for the head coach job if Mike Leach were to leave.

I've become more open to the idea of bringing back Ken Wilson as DC. I think the foundation of what Grinch was trying to do at WSU is the way forward for us. Young coach, high energy, attacking style speed defense.

I would be shocked if that were to ever happen....I think Chris Ball would be just as likely as Ken Wilson.

Whomever goes into the interview and says, I'm going to force as many turnovers as possible will get the job.

Other than that, I'd love a guy with SoCal recruiting ties. Would love to get a foot back in American Samoa as well.

Every "D" coordinator Leach has hired has been a surprise and an unkown to me. Leach has connections completely outside the Northwest and the Pac-12 and I look for him to pull another rabbit out of his hat, quite likely, as he has been wont, someone with TT connections.

Whomever goes into the interview and says, I'm going to force as many turnovers as possible will get the job.

Other than that, I'd love a guy with SoCal recruiting ties. Would love to get a foot back in American Samoa as well.

Agree on all accounts. Some have said Ken Wilson was Leach's most trusted recruiter.

What I would like to see is someone who can really evaluate that corner position. Saying that Strong has had a respectable season. But I would love to see two freshman corners come in and compete next fall. Not sure they have corners on the roster that are up to the task...

Interesting thing about Sirmon is being from Walla Walla maybe he would want to come home. Don't know what he makes, but I do know $700k in Pullman goes A lot further than $900k in Berkeley. Plus if Wilcox goes 6-6 again next year is seat might be getting warm.
Too many UO and UW ties for Sirmon and his family.

Easy pass.

$800,000 as CB coach?

Not sure where the number is coming from. He currently makes $300 K as a DB coach at Missouri. He probably previously made about $800 K in his previous coordinator positions at Texas Tech and Houston.

Strong background. Improved the Tech defense significantly under Kingsubury . Knows how to be a defense coordinator to compliment an Air Raid offense. Big emphasis on turnovers. Kingsbury in college was harder for a defensive coordinator , because he constantly ran hurry up and his TOP was terrible.

The type of DC we get obviously depends on whether or not Leach returns. Hopefully the coaching carousel quiets down by the middle of December.

You really need to quit worrying about that. Might as well assume that Leach is going to be here until he isn't. Don't forget, he didn't leave Texas Tech despite having opportunities.

I was hoping Kelani Sitake was going to be available at the end of the year.
I was thinking the same thing and thinking Jay Hill might take his place and bring in a coordinator who wants to pass the ball more.
$800,000 as CB coach?
AH...Nailed it. Absolutely the perfect candidate. Nice. Makes $420,000 right now. 11 years as a DC, coached in the pros as well.

Last edited:
What we've done schematically on D isn't bad. Better open field tackling. Better body position and "look back" for CB's. Both of those are coaching. Fewer dumb penalties...the scheme is OK and certainly fits the guys we recruit.

I like the fact he played DB in college for a good program (at the time). I would expect that would help with recruiting the position.
Probably would help coaching the position too. Either these guys aren’t getting coached or they aren’t listening.

What we've done schematically on D isn't bad. Better open field tackling. Better body position and "look back" for CB's. Both of those are coaching. Fewer dumb penalties...the scheme is OK and certainly fits the guys we recruit.
I would disagree to some extent. There were several plays Saturday we showed man to man on Hodgins. No safety help anywhere in sight pre snap. Pretty easy pre snap read for the QB, you just can’t do that. Yeah players aren’t executing but the defensive play calling isn’t helping out. The entire thing is a shit show.

that's really the key in getting a good DC, they are going to have to pay.

Top 10 def coordinator salaries are listed from 2.5 million down to 1.5 million. Jim Leavitt gets 1.7 million. Alex Grinch gets 1.4 million from OU.

I think we have to go to a million to get somebody.

I was thinking the same thing and thinking Jay Hill might take his place and bring in a coordinator who wants to pass the ball more.

AH...Nailed it. Absolutely the perfect candidate. Nice. Makes $420,000 right now. 11 years as a DC, coached in the pros as well.
Guessing $600,000 minimum.
There's $1.851 m for the 5 staff...plus some for Matt Brock. If they go with only 4 coaches like Oregon State...they could go as high as $800,000 for DC and over $350,000 a piece provided they could coach and recruit.

I was watching the Minnesota golden gophers game a couple weeks back and their DB was guarding a WR who had a pass thrown to him on his outside shoulder in the corner of the end zone. The DB watched the WR and waited for the WR to look back for the ball and raise his arms to catch it and then he put his arms up and jumped with the WR and broke up the play. It was beautifully played and he never once looked back for the ball, just played the WRs reaction. Not saying this is the way it’s supposed to be done, but if our DBs aren’t going to play the ball, at least they can play the man.

I was watching the Minnesota golden gophers game a couple weeks back and their DB was guarding a WR who had a pass thrown to him on his outside shoulder in the corner of the end zone. The DB watched the WR and waited for the WR to look back for the ball and raise his arms to catch it and then he put his arms up and jumped with the WR and broke up the play. It was beautifully played and he never once looked back for the ball, just played the WRs reaction. Not saying this is the way it’s supposed to be done, but if our DBs aren’t going to play the ball, at least they can play the man.
If you raise your arms to inhibit the receiver’s play on the ball, without turning to play the ball yourself, it’s pass interference. Besides, if your back is to the ball you have zero chance of intercepting.

I think face guarding is PI, but if you make no physical contact with the receiver and raise your arms as the ball gets there I don't think that gets called

When was Texas Techs defense good under Kingsbury. Gibbs resume looks good, but Kliff didn't get fired because they couldn't score.

You really need to quit worrying about that. Might as well assume that Leach is going to be here until he isn't. Don't forget, he didn't leave Texas Tech despite having opportunities.

I’m really not worried about it. Leach has done a wonderful job of restoring our program, and while I’ll be disappointed if he leaves, I’m curious how we’ll handle the vacancy.

With that said, I do fear this is the year he’ll leave. Time will tell. I hope that’s not the case.

I think face guarding is PI, but if you make no physical contact with the receiver and raise your arms as the ball gets there I don't think that gets called
Exactly (except there isn’t faceguarding isn’t PI in college ball)—He timed it so he was playing the ball, albeit not looking for it. Refs were right on it and wasn’t called PI, just a really heads up play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT