ADVERTISEMENT

NIL …. Not sure why schools are not suing

CougEd

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
other schools. How do determine, appraise what a players NIL worth is ? No one has asked that question. We know how to determine what the players skill set is worth to another team, but that is different than NIL value .

other schools. How do determine, appraise what a players NIL worth is ? No one has asked that question. We know how to determine what the players skill set is worth to another team, but that is different than NIL value .
Because I don't believe the schools are paying the players. They can't sue, because the player has not broken a contract with the school.

NIL appropriate value, by definition is whatever the F you can get.

Why would any school have a say in any players nil?

NIL appropriate value, by definition is whatever the F you can get.

Why would any school have a say in any players nil?

Exactly. NIL allows a player to capitalize on their name, image, and likeness. Schools are banned from having a say in a players NIL.

The NCAA's claim has been that student athletes aren't employees and they don't profit off of them. That shuts down a lot of claims they are being damaged. It's also the best defense they have against the players being deemed employees and being able to unionize. This would be far more expensive to colleges than anything related to NIL.

Title ix claims . Then no appropriate nil measurement of worth. Damages done to Nevada and other schools .
Gawd, What a cluster f. You all know that Title 9 arose because of a WSU lawsuit by women's athletics, right?

Gawd, What a cluster f. You all know that Title 9 arose because of a WSU lawsuit by women's athletics, right?
Marcia Saneholtz was the perp on that. Was never impressed with her abilities from the small amount of exposure to her.

One thing I do recall on her, something my travelling Cougar buddies will mention from time to time. I do not recall the exact year or opponent, but it was one where the Cougs pulled out a last second win and the place was going crazy. So as we were walking up the Section 6/7 aisle we looked up at the seats there under the press box and there she was standing. No smile, no emotion, looking like someone had just forced her to eat a shit sandwich! Really? That's how you celebrate? Ugh!

Marcia Saneholtz was the perp on that. Was never impressed with her abilities from the small amount of exposure to her.

One thing I do recall on her, something my travelling Cougar buddies will mention from time to time. I do not recall the exact year or opponent, but it was one where the Cougs pulled out a last second win and the place was going crazy. So as we were walking up the Section 6/7 aisle we looked up at the seats there under the press box and there she was standing. No smile, no emotion, looking like someone had just forced her to eat a shit sandwich! Really? That's how you celebrate? Ugh!
I can't really remember her, but that was during my time.

But shit, and I know I'm repeating myself, but Gawd during the Raveling years when Beasley was packed to the rafters, when he stood up and raised his hands and the place went nuts, good times.

She was thinking about who she could sue.

Reactions: ATACFD
Exactly. NIL allows a player to capitalize on their name, image, and likeness. Schools are banned from having a say in a players NIL.

The NCAA's claim has been that student athletes aren't employees and they don't profit off of them. That shuts down a lot of claims they are being damaged. It's also the best defense they have against the players being deemed employees and being able to unionize. This would be far more expensive to colleges than anything related to NIL.
This isn’t about selling their name image and likeness. This came about because UCLA used an image of Ed OBannon . Ward doesn’t have an image to sell and market . . He has a skill . He isn’t be paid because of a name image or likeness to market and has value but a physical talent .

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
This isn’t about selling their name image and likeness. This came about because UCLA used an image of Ed OBannon . Ward doesn’t have an image to sell and market . . He has a skill . He isn’t be paid because of a name image or likeness to market and has value but a physical talent .
Of course Ward has a name, image, and likeness to sell. Ed law school is something to behold.

What would the claim be?

O’Bannon’s lawsuit was against the NCAA. Antitrust claim focused on the NCAA rule prohibiting payment for name, image and likeness. The NCAA’s licensing entity got paid by EA or whoever made the video game.

I’m not sure if it changed or not, but part of the scholarship paperwork is (or used to be) a license of the athlete’s name, image and likeness to the school. So, the school can do things like put players on billboards or posters to help sell tickets.

That isn’t for you to decide, Ed.

Reactions: HCoug
The market for his image is based on his skill. He’s a name, and people are willing to pay for it. There no set values, the market establishes its own pricing.

The market for his image is based on his skill. He’s a name, and people are willing to pay for it. There no set values, the market establishes its own pricing.
You mean just like Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods and Tom Brady?

Careful, you might blow Ed’s mind.

One thing I do recall on her, something my travelling Cougar buddies will mention from time to time. I do not recall the exact year or opponent, but it was one where the Cougs pulled out a last second win and the place was going crazy. So as we were walking up the Section 6/7 aisle we looked up at the seats there under the press box and there she was standing. No smile, no emotion, looking like someone had just forced her to eat a shit sandwich! Really? That's how you celebrate? Ugh

In the late 1990s, some of us from the Pierce County Cougar Club started pressing for restoration of the tradition of ringing the victory bell on College Hall after home football game wins.

We were told that Marcia Saneholtz would spearhead the effort to resolve safety concerns and reestablish the tradition. When we checked back after a couple of months, we found that nothing was being done.

We appealed to President Sam Smith, and the bell was relocated to the alumni center in spite of Saneholtz inaction, thanks to the efforts of Bob Smawley and funding by the class of 1947.

I got the impression that she was virtually bulletproof due to the previous Title IX lawsuit, and she could do or not do pretty much whatever she wanted without consequences.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT