ADVERTISEMENT

No way in hell Mich St is hiring Dickert

ShockandAweWSU

Head Coach
Feb 20, 2018
Their fans would be in such a frenzy if they hired a coach w a record of 4-8 or 5-7. Obviously w the precarious position our athletic department is in we won't fire him, but we better after next season. Boise St, SDSU and Miss St didn't wait very long. The longer we wait the longer it will take the next coach to dig us out.

I agree.

But I don’t know why this needs another thread.

Their fans would be in such a frenzy if they hired a coach w a record of 4-8 or 5-7. Obviously w the precarious position our athletic department is in we won't fire him, but we better after next season. Boise St, SDSU and Miss St didn't wait very long. The longer we wait the longer it will take the next coach to dig us out.
Why must we after next season? Theres probably more uncertainty about this program then their ever has been in our history. It’s unprecedented times. You can’t really compare BSU, SDSU, or any other program to ours right now none of them have gone through or going through this. The 6 game losing streak sucks and at this level accountability always rolls up to the coach, but at this point you are in stand pat territory imo. Good news is Dickert ain’t going to get poached now so you aren’t going to be forced to find a replacement.

We all get the frustration, but there is no way that WSU is firing Dickert until we get our current situation figured out. What coach is going to even talk to WSU without knowing what conference we will be playing in? If half the team leaves because of the Pac-12 debacle, university leadership isn't going to blame Dickert for that.

Y'all just need to relax and let things play out. No point in being pissed off and demanding things unless you've got $10 million to throw at the university.

We all get the frustration, but there is no way that WSU is firing Dickert until we get our current situation figured out. What coach is going to even talk to WSU without knowing what conference we will be playing in? If half the team leaves because of the Pac-12 debacle, university leadership isn't going to blame Dickert for that.

Y'all just need to relax and let things play out. No point in being pissed off and demanding things unless you've got $10 million to throw at the university.
or $77 million like Texas A&M after firing Jimbo Fisher. OMG. 6-4 with a matchup with powerhouse Abilene Christian this weekend. Who? Yeah no kidding.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
or $77 million like Texas A&M after firing Jimbo Fisher. OMG. 6-4 with a matchup with powerhouse Abilene Christian this weekend. Who? Yeah no kidding.

CJD could win 10 next season if Chun goes all in on softening the schedule

As bad as the season has gone, it be a horrible decision to fire Dickert this season. It's not going to happen.

Want something more polarizing? I think bringing Dickert, Arbuckle, AND Cam Ward back next year would be the best move we could make.

Reactions: kougkurt
As bad as the season has gone, it be a horrible decision to fire Dickert this season. It's not going to happen.

Want something more polarizing? I think bringing Dickert, Arbuckle, AND Cam Ward back next year would be the best move we could make.
Given the plausible scenarios, I do too.

I don’t think we’re in any position to move on from anyone who sniffs of P5 worthiness. You have to replace them with someone and presumably at a lower price point until we know otherwise.

Ward has been maddening but yeah if he wanted to come back that’s still good news. Still needs to compete with Mateer though.

You lost me with Ward. He's shown zero improvement in 23 games as our starter. In fact, he might be worse now than he was in game 1. He can go.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
You lost me with Ward. He's shown zero improvement in 23 games as our starter. In fact, he might be worse now than he was in game 1. He can go.
You realize the impact on the depth chart, right? We go from a guy that's started two seasons and a guy that's gotten some spot duty, to a guy that's gotten some spot duty.

If we go with the proposition that the backup QB is always the best one on the roster, who is that next season, since Ward would be gone and Mateer would be the guy that needs to get benched?

Ward can probably street ball his way to 6 wins against the schedule we're going to face next season.

Reactions: Coug90
If we're crossing our fingers for 6 wins from a senior QB against a weak schedule....we should have a different QB.
I'm all for a different QB, but I still won't mind if Ward comes back. At least he's elusive. How many new offensive linemen are we going to have? 5, 8, 10?

I'm all for a different QB, but I still won't mind if Ward comes back. At least he's elusive. How many new offensive linemen are we going to have? 5, 8, 10?
If Ward is better than your 4th string QB you want him coming back. Doesn’t mean Mateer can’t beat him out and start.

Rumor is Arbuckle wants to bring over Austin Reed from WKU for his extra covid season. Reed did really well under Arbuckle at WKU.

Rumor is Arbuckle wants to bring over Austin Reed from WKU for his extra covid season. Reed did really well under Arbuckle at WKU.
Won’t send the best message to Mateer. Coaches need to do what they must, but Mateer deserves a shot to run the O here.

Those who want turnover are going to get there wish in a few weeks. When all is said and done, I'd expect 50-60 new faces next year. Gomness and Fifita are simply hanging up the cleats. I'd imagine we see an exodus of our starters to the portal combined with the usual group of guys the coaches encourage to drop down to the FCS.

It's boggling my mind that we are three weeks away from the portal opening and we still don't have a schedule for 2024. Either we've already agreed to some sort of scheduling alliance with the Mountain West and have been able to keep it quiet, or we are screwed. Other than a continuation of the Apple Cup at the Seahawks stadium with a split gate, we haven't heard even a rumor about our opponents.

Those who want turnover are going to get there wish in a few weeks. When all is said and done, I'd expect 50-60 new faces next year. Gomness and Fifita are simply hanging up the cleats. I'd imagine we see an exodus of our starters to the portal combined with the usual group of guys the coaches encourage to drop down to the FCS.

It's boggling my mind that we are three weeks away from the portal opening and we still don't have a schedule for 2024. Either we've already agreed to some sort of scheduling alliance with the Mountain West and have been able to keep it quiet, or we are screwed. Other than a continuation of the Apple Cup at the Seahawks stadium with a split gate, we haven't heard even a rumor about our opponents.
The preliminary injunction hearing is today. The decision will be quite important in charting the future course.

Oh this will be a blood letting . It will be worse than Deon changing out the Bruggman luggage for Louis Vuitton.

We are just coming off the death penalty .

How long we’ll be in purgatory during the appeals?
They seem kinda backed up right now. I'd say 21-33 months. It will take about 12 months for the Division III of the Court of Appeals to hear the appeal, and another three months for a decision. Then it will be about six additional months for the Supreme Court to consider a petition for review. If that is denied, that's the end. If it's granted another 12 months for a decision.

They seem kinda backed up right now. I'd say 21-33 months. It will take about 12 months for the Division III of the Court of Appeals to hear the appeal, and another three months for a decision. Then it will be about six additional months for the Supreme Court to consider a petition for review. If that is denied, that's the end. If it's granted another 12 months for a decision.
Hell of a “future”.

50 or 60 new faces? Do you think we have 50 or 60 kids good enough to warrant Power conference offers?

REalizing that kids this age have a loose connection with reality, I have a hard time believing that many will leave. We've had kids better than most of those on our roster this year who did not find a home, much less playing time. The majority of our starters - on both sides - would be role players at best on another P5 roster. More likely, they'll be moving to G5 or FCS. If 50-60 go, 30-40 of them won't have a chair when the music stops.

REalizing that kids this age have a loose connection with reality, I have a hard time believing that many will leave. We've had kids better than most of those on our roster this year who did not find a home, much less playing time. The majority of our starters - on both sides - would be role players at best on another P5 roster. More likely, they'll be moving to G5 or FCS. If 50-60 go, 30-40 of them won't have a chair when the music stops.
This is inaccurate. While a number of kids who left didn't find homes last year, those were kids who saw the writing on the wall about their futures here. The contributors who left almost always ended up in a similar position or better. Considering the drop in the college football world our team is facing combined with a lack of NIL dollars, not to mention uncertainty over things like filling a schedule, I'm guessing we see a pretty big wave of departures. Then after spring ball, we we another group depart.

I disagree with ED'S theory about this being akin to the death penalty for the simple reason that our strength of schedule is going to dramatically drop as well. Guys the caliber of Kyle Thornton and Sam Lockett are actually decent pieces at the G5 when teams aren't able to isolate them against 4-5 star athletes. I think a Dickert led WSU at the G5 level will be on par with Bohl's Wyoming. We are going to hit the portal hard for P5 guys who didn't fit at their last stop (Devin Richardson would be a beast in the MWC), and the universe of guys from the G5 and FCS ranks who are looking for a better fit just got a lot larger. Again, someone like Billy Riviere is a pretty valuable piece at the G5.

Even if we retain the 6-6 playoff format, it'll take a while for the rebuilt Pac to get close in talent to the other power conferences.

The sad thing is that good Olinemen don't come through the portal. RB's...WR's..LB's...DB's . But not Olinemen. Do you want to ask Biggs what position takes the longest to develop and materialize? Might as well have 6 if you want to wait a couple of years.

This is inaccurate. While a number of kids who left didn't find homes last year, those were kids who saw the writing on the wall about their futures here. The contributors who left almost always ended up in a similar position or better. Considering the drop in the college football world our team is facing combined with a lack of NIL dollars, not to mention uncertainty over things like filling a schedule, I'm guessing we see a pretty big wave of departures. Then after spring ball, we we another group depart.

I disagree with ED'S theory about this being akin to the death penalty for the simple reason that our strength of schedule is going to dramatically drop as well. Guys the caliber of Kyle Thornton and Sam Lockett are actually decent pieces at the G5 when teams aren't able to isolate them against 4-5 star athletes. I think a Dickert led WSU at the G5 level will be on par with Bohl's Wyoming. We are going to hit the portal hard for P5 guys who didn't fit at their last stop (Devin Richardson would be a beast in the MWC), and the universe of guys from the G5 and FCS ranks who are looking for a better fit just got a lot larger. Again, someone like Billy Riviere is a pretty valuable piece at the G5.

Even if we retain the 6-6 playoff format, it'll take a while for the rebuilt Pac to get close in talent to the other power conferences.
"Better position" nowadays can mean NIL money, in addition to playing for a Power 5 school.

If the MWC does happen, I see us being like Nevada after things normalize.

Won’t send the best message to Mateer. Coaches need to do what they must, but Mateer deserves a shot to run the O here.

Mateer will be a Redshirt sophomore next season. He is already going to be competing against Cam, as Cam is not NFL ready.

Adding Reed, if Reed starts, Cam would leave, so either way Mateer would probably start his Junior year, instead of his Redshirt Sophomore year.

Starting your JR year, instead of Sophomore year is not that big a deal especially if the coach practically guarantees, promises him the starting job his Junior year, and helps arrange for him to get a NIL deal

"Better position" nowadays can mean NIL money, in addition to playing for a Power 5 school.

If the MWC does happen, I see us being like Nevada after things normalize.
I initially thought the same thing, but I've since changed my mind. WSU is still the 2nd best public school in WA State, which is a rapidly emerging market. There's a lot of tech money in Western WA, and more importantly, there are a lot of upper middle class young families. That should provide WSU with a steady stream of affluent students and donors. New England, where my family is from, mirrors a lot of what I expect to see in WA State. An up and coming, multi-cultural, academically focused region.

WSU is gong to be one of the top campuses in the new PacWest. I've been to most of the MWC campuses, and ours is night and day better than all of them outside of SDSU. Now, campus environment isn't everything to prospective recruits, but it carries a lot of weight. They're going to be weighing offers from Oregon State, Boise State, Fresno, and SDSU along with WSU. Our campus, academic offerings, and athletic facilities are on par or better than all of those programs.

It won't be easy, but there's no reason why we can't be an upper crust PacWest program.

I initially thought the same thing, but I've since changed my mind. WSU is still the 2nd best public school in WA State, which is a rapidly emerging market. There's a lot of tech money in Western WA, and more importantly, there are a lot of upper middle class young families. That should provide WSU with a steady stream of affluent students and donors. New England, where my family is from, mirrors a lot of what I expect to see in WA State. An up and coming, multi-cultural, academically focused region.

WSU is gong to be one of the top campuses in the new PacWest. I've been to most of the MWC campuses, and ours is night and day better than all of them outside of SDSU. Now, campus environment isn't everything to prospective recruits, but it carries a lot of weight. They're going to be weighing offers from Oregon State, Boise State, Fresno, and SDSU along with WSU. Our campus, academic offerings, and athletic facilities are on par or better than all of those programs.

It won't be easy, but there's no reason why we can't be an upper crust PacWest program.
Except that it hasn't. And I don't see relegation generating more donations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT