ADVERTISEMENT

Noah to the portal

SaveFerris

Hall Of Fame
Dec 21, 2001
I hope it works out for Noah. I think he's a talent but needs to put all the pieces together.

Last edited:
Not surprised. He needs to get his head on straight.
I really don't enjoy this time of year. Rapp and Noah at the moment but to me every year feels like the entire roster is about to unravel in ways "we" won't like right before our eyes. A total unknown at this point.

Well, in the end it's just hoops anyway. Right?

Reactions: Coug4life34
I really don't enjoy this time of year. Rapp and Noah at the moment but to me every year feels like the entire roster is about to unravel in ways "we" won't like right before our eyes. A total unknown at this point.

Yep...just hoops. Glad he is gone....he is AWFUL! Ok his D was average, his O was beyond awful. The bigger question is will Connor Halliday continue to be his body language coach? Kidding..ok sort of kidding.

I agree. Simply by it's nature college sports is in constant flux. Bringing in an equally sized class each year was ideal but difficult to achieve. Now with the portal it's next to impossible. I don't know how it's all going to work out but the complete total freedom of player movement is just one concern I have regarding the direction of college sports.

Hate to see anyone leave, but his body language this year told you where this was headed. Not sure what happened, but it is what it is.

Just burning it to the ground...maybe. Ha!

Tj
@TjBamba_
I love this kid man, ganna miss you dawg 💯
Quote Tweet
Verbal Commits
@VerbalCommits
· 2h
Washington State G Noah Williams has entered the transfer portal. https://verbalcommits.com/players/noah-williams

I wonder if he'll end up at Alabama?
Their current coach, who was coaching Buffalo when he got a commitment from Noah, is at Bama now.

Or how about UW? That would be an interesting development. Wouldn't shock me but I don't know their scholarship situation.

I know that some of you don't think Noah is a good player, and that you say that shouldn't be surprised by this.

BUT Noah, if he didn't transfer, would still be THE STARTER at the 2 spot on a team that would goto the NCAA Tourny.

And if you don't think he would start. Who the heck would start over him? The line up would be 1. Tyrell, 2. Noah 3. Bamba.

Rice is not good enough to start over him, and even if he was, Rice is a PG, not a 2. And a line up of Tyrell, Rice, Bamba, would be too small anyways

If you get a transfer, or grad transfer, while they can certainly replace Noah, they might not be good enough to beat out Noah for starting at the 2. And transfers sometimes don't do as well until their 2nd year at the new school. Tyrell, and Flowers some of the times are exceptions.

And despite what some of you think about Noah, he averaged about 9,10,11 points a game, played pretty good defense, considering he often drew the toughest defensive assignments, before Bamba started to share that role.

Yes he shot TERRIBLY bad from 3, yes he took bad 3 point shots, yes he didn't pass as much, yes he poured, had bad body language, bad attitude at times. So he had a not as good, semi bad year, etc.

Noah scored about 15,16,17,18, etc ppg, and had some to lots of big games of 23, 25, 27, 30, 33, 35, 37, 40 points, against some good competition. He played good defense. He passed well. He was ALL UNIVERSE. I think the Expectations, pressure, better competition, better defenses defending him better, everyone focusing on shutting him down, combined with just slumping, etc, just got to his head, etc, to where it made it extremely hard to make shots, etc. He also had extreme bad luck, and just went on a UNLUCKY, mother of all bad shooting streak.

Eventually he will pull out of that and play better. As good as he was before? Maybe, Maybe not, but semi probably good enough to be a semi productive starter at the 2, and about 11,12,13,14 ppg, 1,2 3's, 37.5% from 3. 3 to 6 rebounds, 1,2,3 steals per game, 1,2,3 assist per game. 1 turnover per game, good defense.

And that would have been good enough to start, or be the #1 back up, with LOTS, 27 to 30 to 33 minutes at worst.

If he transfers, he throws all that away. And he may not goto the NCAA Tourny, NIT, and he may not even start, may not even get a lot of minutes etc, where he goes, depending on where he goes, how talented, deep they are.

And I really thought he would realize that it would probably be better for him to stay, adjust his attitude, try harder, etc

And I thought his dad, would have been successful in convincing him to stay, kinda like Klay's father.

And Noah liked WSU, his teammates, and Smith. In fact he tried to recruit players to WSU.

So far Noah has entered the portal, maybe will back out of the portal, and stay after all like others have done after Smith talks to them, but probably not.

Also if Jackson, Rodman leave, things will be really bad.

I don't think they would leave, but then again, it's not logical for Noah to leave either.

If the others leave, an or if Smith doesn't find a good replacement for Noah, and Maybe others, there goes that likely NCAA Tourny, and maybe even NIT.

Reactions: Coug4life34
Yep...just hoops. Glad he is gone....he is AWFUL! Ok his D was average, his O was beyond awful. The bigger question is will Connor Halliday continue to be his body language coach? Kidding..ok sort of kidding.
Far from awful. His D was way above average, his O was quite nice and that is why he was a Preseason All Pac12 playter. He had like many some trials and tribulations to include sickness and what appeared to be a shoulder injury. Least wise last time I checked you don't put that Black Tape on your shoulder for hiding Tat's.

Noah will always be a Coug and I wish him the best of luck in his journey.

Far from awful. His D was way above average, his O was quite nice and that is why he was a Preseason All Pac12 playter. He had like many some trials and tribulations to include sickness and what appeared to be a shoulder injury. Least wise last time I checked you don't put that Black Tape on your shoulder for hiding Tat's.

Noah will always be a Coug and I wish him the best of luck in his journey.

Unless he goes to the UW. Then he’s dead to me

I’m not going to lose sleep on this one. Would have been more surprised if he came back

I know that some of you don't think Noah is a good player, and that you say that shouldn't be surprised by this.

BUT Noah, if he didn't transfer, would still be THE STARTER at the 2 spot on a team that would goto the NCAA Tourny.

And if you don't think he would start. Who the heck would start over him? The line up would be 1. Tyrell, 2. Noah 3. Bamba.

Rice is not good enough to start over him, and even if he was, Rice is a PG, not a 2. And a line up of Tyrell, Rice, Bamba, would be too small anyways

If you get a transfer, or grad transfer, while they can certainly replace Noah, they might not be good enough to beat out Noah for starting at the 2. And transfers sometimes don't do as well until their 2nd year at the new school. Tyrell, and Flowers some of the times are exceptions.

And despite what some of you think about Noah, he averaged about 9,10,11 points a game, played pretty good defense, considering he often drew the toughest defensive assignments, before Bamba started to share that role.

Yes he shot TERRIBLY bad from 3, yes he took bad 3 point shots, yes he didn't pass as much, yes he poured, had bad body language, bad attitude at times. So he had a not as good, semi bad year, etc.

Noah scored about 15,16,17,18, etc ppg, and had some to lots of big games of 23, 25, 27, 30, 33, 35, 37, 40 points, against some good competition. He played good defense. He passed well. He was ALL UNIVERSE. I think the Expectations, pressure, better competition, better defenses defending him better, everyone focusing on shutting him down, combined with just slumping, etc, just got to his head, etc, to where it made it extremely hard to make shots, etc. He also had extreme bad luck, and just went on a UNLUCKY, mother of all bad shooting streak.

Eventually he will pull out of that and play better. As good as he was before? Maybe, Maybe not, but semi probably good enough to be a semi productive starter at the 2, and about 11,12,13,14 ppg, 1,2 3's, 37.5% from 3. 3 to 6 rebounds, 1,2,3 steals per game, 1,2,3 assist per game. 1 turnover per game, good defense.

And that would have been good enough to start, or be the #1 back up, with LOTS, 27 to 30 to 33 minutes at worst.

If he transfers, he throws all that away. And he may not goto the NCAA Tourny, NIT, and he may not even start, may not even get a lot of minutes etc, where he goes, depending on where he goes, how talented, deep they are.

And I really thought he would realize that it would probably be better for him to stay, adjust his attitude, try harder, etc

And I thought his dad, would have been successful in convincing him to stay, kinda like Klay's father.

And Noah liked WSU, his teammates, and Smith. In fact he tried to recruit players to WSU.

So far Noah has entered the portal, maybe will back out of the portal, and stay after all like others have done after Smith talks to them, but probably not.

Also if Jackson, Rodman leave, things will be really bad.

I don't think they would leave, but then again, it's not logical for Noah to leave either.

If the others leave, an or if Smith doesn't find a good replacement for Noah, and Maybe others, there goes that likely NCAA Tourny, and maybe even NIT.
Mik....first of all, take this jab in the spirit of good humor. I'm not trying to be mean spirited. But in another thread when I said it would not surprise me to see Noah transfer, you wrote: "Sure Noah, Rodman, others not named Rapp, Rosario, could SUDDENLY TRANSFER, etc, and a anvil could fall on my head as I leave my home too."

I would take a glance upward before the next time you walk out the door! Be safe!!

Glad Cougar

Reactions: mikalalas
Sad but not shocking. Noah gave us some great memories and hopefully he leaves with his own good memories! I think he’ll have plenty of high to mid major interest and wish him the best of luck!!

He had a bad year but he has talent. I'll miss him.
He went from being our best player to being number 8. While it was a nice year, that team was a NCAA tournament team. Noah surprised people a year ago. They discovered how to defend him. His shot left Pullman after his soph year. He isn't a great passer. Matter of fact they may be the worst passing team in the conference.

That entire lineup never jelled. Smith should have had this team fast break every time down the court. They ruled the boards. Instead give it to flowers and let him pound the ball for 25 seconds then jack up a three.

I do hope Noah finds happiness and where they can create a spot for his niche talents.

He went from being our best player to being number 8. While it was a nice year, that team was a NCAA tournament team. Noah surprised people a year ago. They discovered how to defend him. His shot left Pullman after his soph year. He isn't a great passer. Matter of fact they may be the worst passing team in the conference.

That entire lineup never jelled. Smith should have had this team fast break every time down the court. They ruled the boards. Instead give it to flowers and let him pound the ball for 25 seconds then jack up a three.

I do hope Noah finds happiness and where they can create a spot for his niche talents.

He did go from number 1 to number 8, but still averaged about 8,9,10,11 ppg, despite that.

Noah WAS a Ok passer his Soph year. Everybody FOCUSED on THROWING EVERYTHING AT NOAH IN ORDER TO SHUT HIM DOWN.

His shot did leave him, and caused him to press to the point where he took bad 3 point shots, instead of good 3 point shots, which hurt his shooting percentage even more.

The team was a NCAA Tourny team, and PART to SOME TO SEMI MOST of the reason why the team didn't was because of injuries to Primarily Jackson, and to Efe.

Jackson proved in the NIT, that he would have caused WSU to win at least 2,3,4 more games, because of his INSIDE POST UP SCORING ABILITY.

Your right that WSU's guards would dribble around and either try to drive, or shoot a midrange, score, until forced to jack up a bad 3, BECAUSE THERE WAS NO INSIDE THREAT, BECAUSE JACKSON WAS INJURED, NOT AS DEVELOPED YET, and because of how the team was semi young, and because the semi new players, pieces hadn't Jelled, developed chemistry yet.

If, when WSU guards hit their 3's, it opened things enough to drive inside, and score.
But defenses had the ability to guard the perimeter more, because of the lack of Jackson, as a inside scoring threat. And if WSU guards didn't hit 3's, they would play pack it in defense vs WSU, which with no Jackson, would force more 3's.

Fast breaking might have won 1,2,3,4 more games, but might also have lost more games if the fast breaking would have caused WSU's players to have more turnovers.

And against good teams like Arizona, UCLA, Oregon, Colorado, Stanford, etc, fast breaking wouldn't have helped.

WSU players Jelled, developed chemistry. Jackson scored inside, etc, which is why WSU was so effective at end of season, and in NIT.

He did go from number 1 to number 8, but still averaged about 8,9,10,11 ppg, despite that.

Noah WAS a Ok passer his Soph year. Everybody FOCUSED on THROWING EVERYTHING AT NOAH IN ORDER TO SHUT HIM DOWN.

His shot did leave him, and caused him to press to the point where he took bad 3 point shots, instead of good 3 point shots, which hurt his shooting percentage even more.

The team was a NCAA Tourny team, and PART to SOME TO SEMI MOST of the reason why the team didn't was because of injuries to Primarily Jackson, and to Efe.

Jackson proved in the NIT, that he would have caused WSU to win at least 2,3,4 more games, because of his INSIDE POST UP SCORING ABILITY.

Your right that WSU's guards would dribble around and either try to drive, or shoot a midrange, score, until forced to jack up a bad 3, BECAUSE THERE WAS NO INSIDE THREAT, BECAUSE JACKSON WAS INJURED, NOT AS DEVELOPED YET, and because of how the team was semi young, and because the semi new players, pieces hadn't Jelled, developed chemistry yet.

If, when WSU guards hit their 3's, it opened things enough to drive inside, and score.
But defenses had the ability to guard the perimeter more, because of the lack of Jackson, as a inside scoring threat. And if WSU guards didn't hit 3's, they would play pack it in defense vs WSU, which with no Jackson, would force more 3's.

Fast breaking might have won 1,2,3,4 more games, but might also have lost more games if the fast breaking would have caused WSU's players to have more turnovers.

And against good teams like Arizona, UCLA, Oregon, Colorado, Stanford, etc, fast breaking wouldn't have helped.

WSU players Jelled, developed chemistry. Jackson scored inside, etc, which is why WSU was so effective at end of season, and in NIT.
Mik...just a personal request...write down what you write then edited to do the opposite. Every time you say someone isn't transferring it is like the next day they transfer. Happens in football, happens in hoops. Do what Patrol would do...tell us WSU is going to lose even if was to Western Washington....Do the opposite of what you think....

I don't know if the guards were adept enough in the passing & ball handling department to effectively fast break every time down the court. But I agree that there was too much standing around on offense a lot of the time which ended with a 3-point shot late in the shot clock.

Glad Cougar

I don't know if the guards were adept enough in the passing & ball handling department to effectively fast break every time down the court. But I agree that there was too much standing around on offense a lot of the time which ended with a 3-point shot late in the shot clock.

Glad Cougar

I agree that they did stand around on offense a lot, which did end up with bad NON open 3 point shots, by bad 3 point shooters late to at the end of the shot clock.

But need to understand what was causing that, some to most of the time.

That happened, not because they weren't good players, couldn't pass, and weren't coached right, etc

And Smith even told them, drilled them, taught them to move around on offense, pass, etc, and they STILL didn't move, and still didn't pass as much.

The reasons why they were not moving, passing, etc:

1. Jackson, was injured, etc, and there was not enough of a inside scoring threat to pass into a inside post scoring threat, when things were shut down on the perimeter, an or were missing 3's, etc.

2. There was a lot of new pieces, player combos, semi young players, etc, that hadn't learned to Jell, play together, pass to each other, get open, chemistry, etc.

3. Because of the first 2 points, the way to stop WSU's offense was semi simple:

A. If WSU was missing 3's, play Bennet Pack it in, clog up the inside, middle, use baseline as another defender, and force WSU to shoot and miss 3's.

B. Or another way was if your perimeter defense was good enough, and had shot blockers, you could still guard the perimeter, even if offense missing 3's, even if get driven on, because the guards would get shots blocked. That would prevent 3's and inside scoring. The ONLY counter to that, is having Jackson, etc, scoring inside on post ups.

C. If WSU guards hitting 3's, then if have shot blockers, guard the perimeter, like with point B.

Again the only counter to this, and any of the options, A,B,C, etc, was to have a Jackson, etc, that could either drive, score inside off of drive, or score inside on the post up.

The reason why WSU, was so effective at end of season, and in NIT, was not just shooting better, etc, but mainly was because:

1. The players had Jelled, developed chemistry, etc.

2. Jackson, Efe, Gueye, could either drive, score inside, get rebound putback points, score inside on post ups inside.

3. That opened up BETTER, OPEN 3 point shots, that were consistently hit, made, which in turn, opened things even more inside, which opened things even more outside.

4. Because of 1,2,3 above, etc, the WSU guards, moved around more and passed more, and also shot better, made more outside shots.

5. And that led to easy drives, lay ups, even drive dunks(like Bamba's drive dunk, after shot faking a 3.), which opened outside more.

So lack of big man inside scoring, and injury to Jackson was a bigger problem then the guards earlier in the season.

If WSU would have had a healthy Jackson, WSU probably would have won at least 2,3,4,5 more games.

Smith even told them, drilled them, taught them to move around on offense, pass, etc, and they STILL didn't move, and still didn't pass as much.
If coach is telling them and drilling them and they are choosing not to listen to him there is a serious problem within the program. Imo that’s not the case as much as our offense sucks. We need to change to a more movement based offense. We don’t have the players to compete head to head with the elite teams especially at crunch time.

Now that we have lost 2 of our future NBA players how are we to compete? Oh I forgot we still have 5 or 6 left, if only we could get them to score in double figures

shame on you Jourdand for having a memory and be semi, to somewhat, maybe just a little funny..
🤣🤣🤣

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT