ADVERTISEMENT

Offense better bring it this week

random soul

Hall Of Fame
Dec 23, 2002
Williams at USC, with those receivers to throw to, is a cheat code. I just don't see our defense shutting that down. The pass rush is something, but he excels at breaking contain and making plays, and I just don't see our secondary staying with those receivers. We need to score points and get turnovers to have a shot in this one. On the plus side, their defense doesn't seem overwhelming, so there is something to work with. Watch, now that I've predicted a shoot-out (or at least that we need a shoot-out to win), the score will be 10-3 or something

Reactions: billyjoecamaro
Williams is Bo Nix on steroids. Kind of scary. The good news is that OSU managed to slow them down and we have better talent plus a week to review that film. Our offense will move the ball. USC has created something like a +14 turnover margin. We are -4. That can’t hold forever. If we can win the turnover battle we have a chance, imo.

Don't you really mean the defense really needs to bring it? We have won every game that the defense has play well. And history, i.e. Cal and UCLA, shows that without defense, 60 pts isn't enough?

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
Their last 2 games showed that they’re not invincible. Oregon state threw 4 INTs and only lost by 3. Arizona state was still in the game entering the 4th.

My concern - like others - is our secondary. They’ve given up a lot to teams that aren’t as strong through the air as the Trojans. There are consistently gaping holes in their zone, they struggle in man to man, and there’s no help over the top on the deep sideline routes. When our DL can’t create pressure quickly (3 seconds or less), the secondary pays for it.

Really, I think socal is right….the defense needs to play above themselves this week. We can’t get into a shootout with SC, they’ve got stronger horses and more of them. The offense also needs to step up - we can’t give away boneheaded INTs, we can’t have missed blocking assignments leading to sacks. The coaches also need to step up - we can’t have predictable play calling, and we can’t rely on trick plays.

I’d feel a lot better if this one was in Pullman, but it’s not impossible.

According to the odds makers: USC is favored by 13, over under is 66, Cougs have a 12.6% chance of winning. So a lot of things have to fall into the Cougs favor to win this game.

According to the odds makers: USC is favored by 13, over under is 66, Cougs have a 12.6% chance of winning. So a lot of things have to fall into the Cougs favor to win this game.
Take the Cougs and the points.

Two TDs is obscene, especially for A) a team that only lost by 3 to a ranked team and B) they only beat the Beavs by 3, who at this point is the closest to our equal of the teams they've played.

But hey, they're the odds makers, not me.

Their last 2 games showed that they’re not invincible. Oregon state threw 4 INTs and only lost by 3. Arizona state was still in the game entering the 4th.

My concern - like others - is our secondary. They’ve given up a lot to teams that aren’t as strong through the air as the Trojans. There are consistently gaping holes in their zone, they struggle in man to man, and there’s no help over the top on the deep sideline routes. When our DL can’t create pressure quickly (3 seconds or less), the secondary pays for it.

Really, I think socal is right….the defense needs to play above themselves this week. We can’t get into a shootout with SC, they’ve got stronger horses and more of them. The offense also needs to step up - we can’t give away boneheaded INTs, we can’t have missed blocking assignments leading to sacks. The coaches also need to step up - we can’t have predictable play calling, and we can’t rely on trick plays.

What is the point in running a defense designed to stop the pass when you can’t stop the pass or pressure the QB???

Take the Cougs and the points.

Two TDs is obscene, especially for A) a team that only lost by 3 to a ranked team and B) they only beat the Beavs by 3, who at this point is the closest to our equal of the teams they've played.

But hey, they're the odds makers, not me.
Dickert has lost 5 games as coach at WSU. 4 by 3 points or less and by 14 to Oregon last year. I’m with you, take the Cougs and the points.

Reactions: Coug90
So, about 39-27 sc, that sounds about right to me with this defense against that offense (and a very mobile qb) on the road. We don't produce very many explosive, chunk plays so you need to have precise, error-free, long sustained drives. Probably cannot turn the ball over. Yeah, that score projection wouldn't surprise me one bit if it came true. That's all I have to say about that. Sorry

Everyone better bring it this week we are playing the #6 team in their house. That said I think they will and we will keep it close. Need some big turnovers for the upset +2 at least.

Williams at USC, with those receivers to throw to, is a cheat code. I just don't see our defense shutting that down. The pass rush is something, but he excels at breaking contain and making plays, and I just don't see our secondary staying with those receivers. We need to score points and get turnovers to have a shot in this one. On the plus side, their defense doesn't seem overwhelming, so there is something to work with. Watch, now that I've predicted a shoot-out (or at least that we need a shoot-out to win), the score will be 10-3 or something

Oregon St semi shut down, contained USC. WSU's defense is better then Oregon St's.

Not saying WSU WILL semi shut down, semi contain, semi limit USC QB, offense, scoring, only that they CAN.

DICKERT put it perfectly in his presser. You can't SHUT DOWN USC, but you can LIMIT, CONTAIN USC, by being extremely disciplined vs their multiple options, and by not letting get outside containment, by steering towards HELP, and by using some spies to help contain, limit, semi stop from getting big yardage, and by keeping everything in front.

In other words a bend but don't break, and stiffen up at the 30 yard line, semi red zone, and only give up long FG's defense.

A lot of that Secondary weakness that gave up a lot to other teams is:

1. Jordan Lee injury. And last week even tho he played, he was still banged up. He is back at full strength this week.

2. Christian Mejeia didn't play in the Oregon game, because his wife gave birth, and his playing time was limited in another game.

3. As good a Henly is, he has been weaker vs the pass. He is gradually improving, getting better vs pass.

4. Against Idaho, CSU, WSU defense didn't show up, like they did vs Wiscy, Cal, and PLAYED DOWN to the level of competition. WSU's defense has PLAYED UP to the level of competition(except for the Oregon game).

WSU's defense will probably show up, play up to USC.

Reactions: Coug90
A lot of that Secondary weakness that gave up a lot to other teams is:

1. Jordan Lee injury. And last week even tho he played, he was still banged up. He is back at full strength this week.

2. Christian Mejeia didn't play in the Oregon game, because his wife gave birth, and his playing time was limited in another game.

3. As good a Henly is, he has been weaker vs the pass. He is gradually improving, getting better vs pass.

4. Against Idaho, CSU, WSU defense didn't show up, like they did vs Wiscy, Cal, and PLAYED DOWN to the level of competition. WSU's defense has PLAYED UP to the level of competition(except for the Oregon game).

WSU's defense will probably show up, play up to USC.
As good as Henley is I think he’s exponentially better with Lee working with him. Either of those guys not on the field completely changes our defense. Tough challenge this week but we are going to see the best version of this defense too. We’ll see if the offense is up to the task.

They always seem to think they beat us. I can’t stand cocky U because they seem to think they better than everyone every year. . Cougs will surprise

Also you know the refs will call every possible penalty on us and few on U$C. So we REALLY need to bring it for insurance :).
Although now that it's documented that WSU gets the shaft, it may make a difference.....NAH, who are we kidding. It's the pac12 big boys club!

We will get jobbed by the PAC zebras, it’s part of the admission price for WSU to be in the Conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT