ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Coordinator looking like Ben Arbuckle

We have reached a point of absurdity in college athletics when a 27 year old is paid $1.65 million to draw X's and O's on a napkin.
I can't find a confirmation online. Is thst what wsu is hiring him for? How much is Dickert making. It can't be too much more than that right?

I agree. A few WR we have offers out to that are considering us but we need to have a vision going forward that includes a coach, not just a philosophy. Would like to have Arbuckle, but more than anything, would like a good staff in place asap to hit the portal over the next three weeks.

If it takes a very very long time to complete the process of hiring Arbuckle, ITS STILL WORTH that to hire Arbuckle.

That said I would much prefer that WSU compromise, give Arbuckle 1 million+ instead of stubbornly sticking to 400k to 700k, so that get Arbuckle hired QUICKLY, for the reasons, you, others have named.

Arbuckle is WORTH the extra 500k 1 million+, and the recruits that can get by paying Arbuckle extra to hire him quickly is worth doing that and is kinda, sorta like, and cheaper then paying NIL to attract players.

Also altho your not worried about losing Arbuckle, you, others, me should be worried, not want to lose Arbuckle, think that losing Arbuckle could create a bad situation at WSU. It is a big deal, not a insignificant deal you, others make it out to be.

There are not a lot of good Arbuckle Air Raid Coaches out there, or if there are, they are being taken by other programs, instead of WSU.

Also if WSU gets a really bad OC, because lost Arbuckle, and then if because of that, WSU has a really bad season, next season, and then in combination with that, if Arbuckle were to have a extremely good year elsewhere after WSU lost Arbuckle, because WSU stuck to their 400k, then if all that happened combined, that could sink WSU to Semi WULF level, and could put Schultz, Chun, Dickert on FLAMING HOT SEATS, and lead to them getting fired and lead to getting worse Pres, AD, HC.

WSU can't afford that, if that were to happen. If that were to happen, it would be more COSTLY then giving Arbuckle 500k to 650k to 850k more then 500k, in giving Arbuckle 1 mil to 1.15 mil to 1.25 mil to 1.35 mil to 1.5 mil to get Arbuckle, and prevent the bad from happening.

WSU can't afford to be a cheapskate to Arbuckle, any other football coaching candidate.

As Biggs has said, COACHING IS EVERYTHING at WSU.

I can't find a confirmation online. Is thst what wsu is hiring him for? How much is Dickert making. It can't be too much more than that right?

No WSU is offering about 400k, 500k, 650k to Arbuckle.

Arbuckle is LEVERAGING the rumors to ask for more then 400k to 675k, etc

The amount that Arbuckle probably wants is probably about, around 1 mil to 1.15 mil to 1.25 mil to 1.35 mil to 1.5 mil to 1.65 mil at the very highest.

About, around 3,4,5,6 years ago, there has been LOTS of colleges that paid about 1.5 mil to 1.65 mil to 1.75 mil to 1.85 mil to 2 mil to 2.25 mil to 2.5 mil to some DC's, OC's.

Coordinators are going for about 1 million a year Minimum in P5 conferences. And HC's are going for about 4 million minimum in P5 conferences.

So the Standard minimum coaching salaries have gone up.

We are not in 600k per year per coach Wulfland any longer.

The amount that Arbuckle probably wants is probably about, around 1 mil to 1.15 mil to 1.25 mil to 1.35 mil to 1.5 mil to 1.65 mil at the very highest.

About, around 3,4,5,6 years ago, there has been LOTS of colleges that paid about 1.5 mil to 1.65 mil to 1.75 mil to 1.85 mil to 2 mil to 2.25 mil to 2.5 mil to some DC's, OC's.

Coordinators are going for about 1 million a year Minimum in P5 conferences. And HC's are going for about 4 million minimum in P5 conferences.

This is total fantasy and made up. The numbers are pure speculation. Not to mention incentives and buyout etc. At this point he is either hired or not hired, given what our coaching staff is doing. Based on what I’ve seen I think he is, but can’t confirm. Wouldn’t be surprised to learn we’ve moved to another candidate. But I believe all negotiations are over and his numbers are on the table. So it’s either him or we are in agreement with whatever candidate 1A was.

If it takes a very very long time to complete the process of hiring Arbuckle, ITS STILL WORTH that to hire Arbuckle.

That said I would much prefer that WSU compromise, give Arbuckle 1 million+ instead of stubbornly sticking to 400k to 700k, so that get Arbuckle hired QUICKLY, for the reasons, you, others have named.

Arbuckle is WORTH the extra 500k 1 million+, and the recruits that can get by paying Arbuckle extra to hire him quickly is worth doing that and is kinda, sorta like, and cheaper then paying NIL to attract players.

Also altho your not worried about losing Arbuckle, you, others, me should be worried, not want to lose Arbuckle, think that losing Arbuckle could create a bad situation at WSU. It is a big deal, not a insignificant deal you, others make it out to be.

There are not a lot of good Arbuckle Air Raid Coaches out there, or if there are, they are being taken by other programs, instead of WSU.

Also if WSU gets a really bad OC, because lost Arbuckle, and then if because of that, WSU has a really bad season, next season, and then in combination with that, if Arbuckle were to have a extremely good year elsewhere after WSU lost Arbuckle, because WSU stuck to their 400k, then if all that happened combined, that could sink WSU to Semi WULF level, and could put Schultz, Chun, Dickert on FLAMING HOT SEATS, and lead to them getting fired and lead to getting worse Pres, AD, HC.

WSU can't afford that, if that were to happen. If that were to happen, it would be more COSTLY then giving Arbuckle 500k to 650k to 850k more then 500k, in giving Arbuckle 1 mil to 1.15 mil to 1.25 mil to 1.35 mil to 1.5 mil to get Arbuckle, and prevent the bad from happening.

WSU can't afford to be a cheapskate to Arbuckle, any other football coaching candidate.

As Biggs has said, COACHING IS EVERYTHING at WSU.
You are correct in that universities can't be cheapskates when it comes to paying football coaches. Football coaches make stupid money but the fundraising personnel will tell you they are the ones responsible for bringing in millions and millions of dollars through corporate sponsorships and individual donor/boosters/alumni contributions. The excitement generated when hiring a new coach is second only to winning consistently when it comes to fundraising. Both of these are things that the "money" people like to be a part of.

Reactions: mikalalas
This is total fantasy and made up. The numbers are pure speculation. Not to mention incentives and buyout etc. At this point he is either hired or not hired, given what our coaching staff is doing. Based on what I’ve seen I think he is, but can’t confirm. Wouldn’t be surprised to learn we’ve moved to another candidate. But I believe all negotiations are over and his numbers are on the table. So it’s either him or we are in agreement with whatever candidate 1A was.
He's a Cougar. Not sure why such a delay in announcing it.

Reactions: mikalalas
He's a Cougar. Not sure why such a delay in announcing it.
I didn’t think so earlier in the day, but new info from around the program makes me think he’s on board, or at the very very least someone is on board.

DICKERT is making about 2.37 to 2.5 to 2.85 Mil to Dickert, but only because Dickert was young, the interim HC, didn't have a lot of HC experience.

Now that Dickert has gotten 7 wins, he probably gets a pay raise to 3 to 3.5 to 4 mil since Rolo got 3.33 mil and Leach was getting about, around 4.7 mil.

The P5 conference minimum pay standard is going to be about, around 1 mil for Coordinators, and 3.93 mil for HC's, unless they like 30 as a HC, don't have a lot of HC experience, and if a new Interim coach become semi permanent HC.

WSU can't really afford to Cheap Skate go below the minimum pay standard in P5 football

I know, it's stupid, absurd, but it is what it is.

I wouldn't put it past WSU to say something like Arbuckle here is our final offer(probably between 500k and 1 mil), take it or leave it(with candidate 1A that is a bad coach on hold on a phone, to where if Arbuckle says no, walks away, WSU hire bad coach 1A that on hold on phone).

That wouldn't surprise me at all, if that happened.

And if that did happen WSU would have acted STUPIDLY in losing Arbuckle.

Hopefully WSU was smart enough to give Arbuckle 1 mil +, an or is still negotiating.

Guess we'll see what happens.

I wouldn't put it past WSU to say something like Arbuckle here is our final offer(probably between 500k and 1 mil), take it or leave it(with candidate 1A that is a bad coach on hold on a phone, to where if Arbuckle says no, walks away, WSU hire bad coach 1A that on hold on phone).

That wouldn't surprise me at all, if that happened.

And if that did happen WSU would have acted STUPIDLY in losing Arbuckle.

Hopefully WSU was smart enough to give Arbuckle 1 mil +, an or is still negotiating.

Guess we'll see what happens.
Three-year deal. Not sure of the exact amount but it is definitely under $1M per year.

We have reached a point of absurdity in college athletics when a 27 year old is paid $1.65 million to draw X's and O's on a napkin.

In that case it needs to become part of the curriculum in school.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if that becomes common place in the next 10 years.

Three-year deal. Not sure of the exact amount but it is definitely under $1M per year.

Did you hear that somewhere? Or is that what you think?

I think that's what WSU would offer try to get Arbuckle to take.

But I also think Arbuckle doesn't take any less then at least 900k + per year BASE for each of 2,3,4 years, + Performance based bonuses, pay raises, incentives.

I think that is about, around the extreme minimum that Arbuckle would accept, take.

I think that if WSU offers a final offer less then that, and tells him to take it or leave it, that he Arbuckle would walk away.

If he Arbuckle is already hired, but not announced, then I think WSU offered something pretty close to the minimum I think Arbuckle would accept, take.

Also if he has been hired, not officially announced yet, maybe they would be doing so to avoid announcing it and a hire figure, say 1 mil, and then have another program sweep in, pay the buy out, and pay him 2 mil, etc

By not announcing, it might prevent a program from finding out what WSU pay, and then paying more.

Might prevent that by keeping programs in dark and thus maybe getting programs to look elsewhere and then officially announcing it.

Mik, I don't mean this in a bad way at all, but it's probably best to chill on this a bit for your sake. Us speculating as to all this stuff you are commenting on won't move the needle. I wish this hadn't been leaked before a deal was done, but that's about it. If someone else swoops in and grabs him, it is what it is and it's Dickert's job to find someone else who is good and can help pull in some talent in the portal.

Whoever it is they hired, the coaches are very happy with the hire. I will say that. And given that his family is getting involved with WSU stuff it overwhelmingly seems like it’s him. But until the report comes through…

Mik, I don't mean this in a bad way at all, but it's probably best to chill on this a bit for your sake. Us speculating as to all this stuff you are commenting on won't move the needle. I wish this hadn't been leaked before a deal was done, but that's about it. If someone else swoops in and grabs him, it is what it is and it's Dickert's job to find someone else who is good and can help pull in some talent in the portal.

Your right that it would be it is what it is.

But IF IF WSU LOSES Arbuckle for stupidly being TOO STINGY, there is not a lot of good viable Air Raid coordinators, because other programs have taken most of them, good or not by now.

Arbuckle was, is one of the extreme few good ones left.

If WSU missed out on Arbuckle, WSU's chances of getting a decent ok Air Raid coordinator would go way down.

If that happens so be it.

It is what it is whatever happens.

And like I said before, I guess we will see what happens.

I just won't believe the rumors, etc, until it's in credible news sources.

So like I said, I guess we will see what happens.

Reactions: 425cougfan
I don't think he was referring to dlineman. dropping back into coverage
Yeah not sure where he pulled that one out from. Pretty simple if you have an effective deep passing game, forces the D to drop multiple guys deep…safeties over the top. You are extremely vulnerable all over the field if you then choose to rush 5+. Pick your poison. When you don’t throw deep effectively as an offense it’s a helluva lot less concerning for the defense to bring 5+…so your QB more likely under duress. There can only be 11 guys on the field it’s a numbers game.

Reactions: spongeandshoot
Your right that it would be it is what it is.

But IF IF WSU LOSES Arbuckle for stupidly being TOO STINGY, there is not a lot of good viable Air Raid coordinators, because other programs have taken most of them, good or not by now.

Arbuckle was, is one of the extreme few good ones left.

If WSU missed out on Arbuckle, WSU's chances of getting a decent ok Air Raid coordinator would go way down.

If that happens so be it.

It is what it is whatever happens.

And like I said before, I guess we will see what happens.

I just won't believe the rumors, etc, until it's in credible news sources.

So like I said, I guess we will see what happens.
Contract terms were agreed to quickly. Never any concern that a deal would not get done.

Hiring Arbuckle is a mistake. He should have hired Criss Angel. They need a magician, not a coach.

Contract terms were agreed to quickly. Never any concern that a deal would not get done.

Where did you hear this? How do you know this?

All I have seen is SBnation, Coug Center, 247, Brand Y, Brand X, ESPN, Feldman, etc, all pretty much saying it's a pretty much done deal, set to hire, etc.

But nothing about contract terms being agreed to or agreed to quickly.

All the sources were saying that WSU was in serious talks, negotiations with Arbuckle, not that they already agreed, and agreed quickly too.

Where are you hearing this?

Is it new info?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT