ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Coordinator looking like Ben Arbuckle

ShockandAweWSU

Head Coach
Feb 20, 2018
Ben Arbuckle is the OC at Western Kentucky. Runs a modified Air Raid. Western Kentucky led NCAA in passing. Super young guy. Did a great job in bowl game. Roots are from Texas.

So why do I say this??? Quick twitter investigation shows...Arbuckle recently followed WSUfootball. Arbuckles brother has followed WSUfootball and Jake Dickert in last 24 hrs. Arbuckles mother is now following wsufootball. So I'd say it pretty much looks like a done deal. Exciting hire if he can recruit.

That would be a good hire from what I know of WKU. Get some of their o lineman. They have some p5 starters on the o,line

I found out the report was from dec. 5th. Yes, he'll stay at WKU. Gotta respect the fact that he didn't only go for the NIL money.

Reactions: mikalalas
All I know is WKU has been lighting up the scoreboard like a Christmas tree the last few years. Also have a bunch of friends that went there...but that info doesn't help our cause unfortunately

Reactions: froropmkr72
So why do I say this??? Quick twitter investigation shows...Arbuckle recently followed WSUfootball. Arbuckles brother has followed WSUfootball and Jake Dickert in last 24 hrs. Arbuckles mother is now following wsufootball. So I'd say it pretty much looks like a done deal. Exciting hire if he can recruit.
roots in Texas= 100% he'll be gone to a Texas program of equal or bigger size within 3 years. Less if we're even moderately successful.

roots in Texas= 100% he'll be gone to a Texas program of equal or bigger size within 3 years. Less if we're even moderately successful.

Remember he is SUPER YOUNG. Which means he might stay for 4,5,6,7 years because of his EXTREMELY YOUNG AGE.

Usually the bigger, better Texas programs, usually want more EXPERIENCED coaching personell.

Also it depends on if the Texas Programs even have any vacant OC openings in the next 2,3,4 years.

And even if the Kid coach does leave, Dickert can just assume he will leave, and have another OC in his back pocket. And he can keep team player leaders informed, that he has a plan, and who the back pocket OC candidates would be, in case the new OC leaves.

Also I would much rather Dickert hire a AWESOME OC that leaves in 3,4,5 years, then to hire a bad, or below average or average OC that stays at WSU for 5 years, before finally getting fired.

Seems we are starting to add in decent buyout clauses for assistants. If he gives us 2-3 successful years and bolts while we get 500k to put a down payment on the next guy So be it.

Remember he is SUPER YOUNG. Which means he might stay for 4,5,6,7 years because of his EXTREMELY YOUNG AGE.

Usually the bigger, better Texas programs, usually want more EXPERIENCED coaching personell.

Also it depends on if the Texas Programs even have any vacant OC openings in the next 2,3,4 years.

And even if the Kid coach does leave, Dickert can just assume he will leave, and have another OC in his back pocket. And he can keep team player leaders informed, that he has a plan, and who the back pocket OC candidates would be, in case the new OC leaves.

Also I would much rather Dickert hire a AWESOME OC that leaves in 3,4,5 years, then to hire a bad, or below average or average OC that stays at WSU for 5 years, before finally getting fired.

Also if the new OC lights up the scoreboard at WSU, and if WSU goes 11-1, 2,3,4 straight years(not saying that's going to happen), and if OC, gets a 333k either pay raise or bonuses, the new OC might decide that since he is young, and has time to climb the coaching ladder, might decide to stay, ENJOY THE WINNING, NY6'S, CFP'S, ETC.

Also if the new OC lights up the scoreboard at WSU, and if WSU goes 11-1, 2,3,4 straight years(not saying that's going to happen), and if OC, gets a 333k either pay raise or bonuses, the new OC might decide that since he is young, and has time to climb the coaching ladder, might decide to stay, ENJOY THE WINNING, NY6'S, CFP'S, ETC.

Also WSU can give the OC performance pay raises, so that if he LIGHTS IT UP, 1,2,3 STRAIGHT years, then his pay goes from about 500k to about 1.15 MILLION in PERFORMANCE based bonuses, raises, etc.

And WSU can have a 1 million dollar buy out clause.

If he does really well here....2 years and gone. If Dickert takes over as DC...he'd produce for the next two years as well. His other hires had better produce as well.

Fine. Dickerts going to be the HC for a decade I’d bet, anyone he brings in should have aspirations of kicking ass and then moving on to a program like TX. Coordinators should be hired with the idea that they will be here 3 years at most then move on, either to a HC or bigger program.

Reactions: mikalalas
If WSU went 11-1 because we scored 40+ a game he’d be gone after 1 year. Plenty of programs would have no problem with the buyout to secure that kind of success. I’d also have no problem going 11-1.

Reactions: 79COUG
Doesn’t matter where he’s from. Any OC that comes in and makes a successful offense is probably moving on in 2-3 years. Just the way the business works. The only way that doesn’t happen is if we hire a young and less proven coach as OC, then he stays for an extra “prove it” year (maybe)…and is still gone after 3-4.

The offense Morris ran wasn’t even that successful, and he got an HC gig after 1.

Doesn’t matter where he’s from. Any OC that comes in and makes a successful offense is probably moving on in 2-3 years. Just the way the business works. The only way that doesn’t happen is if we hire a young and less proven coach as OC, then he stays for an extra “prove it” year (maybe)…and is still gone after 3-4.

The offense Morris ran wasn’t even that successful, and he got an HC gig after 1.

The OC needs to teach a position coach under him so it can be next coach up.

Morris sucked azz.

Reactions: sellas
Read that a study showed that the average college football offensive coordinator was in that job for 2 years 3 months.

I think Paul Wulff averaged like 9 ppg at USF, so if he happened to get 4.5x better at calling at offense, I’ll take that.

I think Paul Wulff averaged like 9 ppg at USF, so if he happened to get 4.5x better at calling at offense, I’ll take that.

Think Cal Poly-SLO wants CPW to focus on his CEO role and let his coordinators “coordinate”

Well in the first 3 minutes of the highights of their bowl game, they are throwing the ball vertically quite a bit and like to go tempo after a first down. I like what I see so far.

Regardless of whether we sign him or not, WSU has the rep of being a school where you are visible, and if you do a good job, you will get opportunities. That is a good message to sell.

SBNation, and 247, are joining Feldman in saying Arbuckle is going to WSU.

They report that WSU's various leaders are in extremely serious talks, negotiations, etc with Arbuckle, to finalize him being the OC at WSU.

So the deal, hire, is pretty much done, and just working out the final nitty, gritty, details.

The only way this doesn't happen, is if Chun, Dickert, etc, BLOW THIS.

CMON CHUN, DICKERT, SCHULTZ, DO NOT BLOW THIS, FAIL TO GET Arbuckle as OC.

Did some research into Arbuckle.

This is a GRAND SLAM HIRE OUT OF THE UNIVERSE.

2000+ Rushing yards, 5000 passing yards at WKU.

WKU TOP 10 offense in company with #1 TENNESSEE.

#1 G5 Offense, in entire nation.

About 100, 20+ yard EXPLOSIVE plays, LEADS THE WHOLE NATION.

Also was the QB coach, developed Division 2 QB, Austin Reed, into 1 of the best QB's in Nation, at about, around 4000 yards, 40 TD's.

If anybody can turn around Cam Ward, he Arbuckle can.

And if can't turn Cam around, he Arbuckle will bench him, have open QB competition, which he will do regardless, whether Cam, gets turned around or not.

If money is a hang up, give Arbuckle 1 million to start, with performance Bonuses, raises, up to 1.5 million, and set 2,3,4 million buy out clause for 2,3,4 years, and don't care if Arbuckle leaves after 3,4 years.

Arbuckle is THAT GOOD.

DO NOT BLOW THIS, GETTING HIM, ARBUCKLE, WSU, SCHULTZ, CHUN, DICKERT!

Reactions: PeteTheChop
If only we could get man coverage with zero DL pressure on every down...
Part of how you get zero pressure from the DLine is by being good at vertical passing. Forces two safeties to stay deep and pulls defensive players back at every level because you have to defend the entire field well…something defenses didn’t have to do against us this year.

SBNation, and 247, are joining Feldman in saying Arbuckle is going to WSU.

They report that WSU's various leaders are in extremely serious talks, negotiations, etc with Arbuckle, to finalize him being the OC at WSU.

So the deal, hire, is pretty much done, and just working out the final nitty, gritty, details.

The only way this doesn't happen, is if Chun, Dickert, etc, BLOW THIS.

CMON CHUN, DICKERT, SCHULTZ, DO NOT BLOW THIS, FAIL TO GET Arbuckle as OC.

Did some research into Arbuckle.

This is a GRAND SLAM HIRE OUT OF THE UNIVERSE.

2000+ Rushing yards, 5000 passing yards at WKU.

WKU TOP 10 offense in company with #1 TENNESSEE.

#1 G5 Offense, in entire nation.

About 100, 20+ yard EXPLOSIVE plays, LEADS THE WHOLE NATION.

Also was the QB coach, developed Division 2 QB, Austin Reed, into 1 of the best QB's in Nation, at about, around 4000 yards, 40 TD's.

If anybody can turn around Cam Ward, he Arbuckle can.

And if can't turn Cam around, he Arbuckle will bench him, have open QB competition, which he will do regardless, whether Cam, gets turned around or not.

If money is a hang up, give Arbuckle 1 million to start, with performance Bonuses, raises, up to 1.5 million, and set 2,3,4 million buy out clause for 2,3,4 years, and don't care if Arbuckle leaves after 3,4 years.

Arbuckle is THAT GOOD.

DO NOT BLOW THIS, GETTING HIM, ARBUCKLE, WSU, SCHULTZ, CHUN, DICKERT!

Other stats:

41.5% 3rd down conversion.

Gets to RedZone a LOT more often then Morris, and 80% score TD's, whenever in Redzone

Also high tempo

1 TE, 3 WR, 1 RB.

Some RPO

Less screens, less sideline swing passes.

Was a part of Kliff Kingsbury's Coaching Tree.

Goes VERTICAL in passing game.

Uses Mesh, outs, curls, crosses, drags, slants, seams, post, etc.

RUNS THE DAMN BALL. 2000+ YARDS, during season. That's about 180 yards rushing per game, and that's running about, around, 34+% of the time, so EXTREMELY HIGH YARDS PER CARRY.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT