ADVERTISEMENT

Official game thread. Cougs vs. ducks

Uphill battle. The first drive set the tone. Everything was “unfortunate” for us. And against the “O”-rifice we needed a stiff D and a clicking offense.

other than a couple of drives, JDL was absolute trash

He is average at best. No way should he be on the field. Too many bad decisions. Too many bone head plays. Accuracy is bad. He is nowhere near ready to play but the entire position group is not good. Simply too many bad plays and bad play calling. This was the best team WSU has played, not good.

certainly JDL has room for improvement, but shame on the OC for not putting him in a position to gain confidence and not try to do what he has proven time and time again he is incapable of, which is roll out/scramble and make good, accurate passes.

We have a poor man's Vince Young, except the coaches are too stupid to take advantage of his legs.

Not impressed in any facet. Very sure Smith cannot be a part of the equation no matter Dickerts fate.

certainly JDL has room for improvement, but shame on the OC for not putting him in a position to gain confidence and not try to do what he has proven time and time again he is incapable of, which is roll out/scramble and make good, accurate passes.
from the pocket or on the run he is not accurate at all, hard to get in any rhythm when he is that inaccurate. Run n shoot is not for him. Need a falk/Minshew/jake f'ing Browning. Accurate get the ball out on time guy.

That second half was just a good, ole fashioned ass kicking. Didn’t really expect otherwise though, so 🤷🏻‍♂️

Solid win by Oregon, but really the whole offense was running Brown on draws. Thats fine to win a game, not sure if that is how you win a NT.

from the pocket or on the run he is not accurate at all, hard to get in any rhythm when he is that inaccurate. Run n shoot is not for him. Need a falk/Minshew/jake f'ing Browning. Accurate get the ball out on time guy.

18/34 passing isn’t good enough, freshman or not, doesn’t matter.

Solid win by Oregon, but really the whole offense was running Brown on draws. Thats fine to win a game, not sure if that is how you win a NT.

Pick the scab until it bleeds. I agree they will need to do more. But for this game, why stop? Dickert had no answers for it.

Pick the scab until it bleeds. I agree they will need to do more. But for this game, why stop? Dickert had no answers for it.
Answer is don’t play 4-2-5. You need to pull in the extra linebacker and at least try to shut down the inside run.

That said…we had 3 turnovers that they turned into 14 points, and they won by 14 points. Clean that up and turn one of those possessions into a FG, we win 27-24.

That said…we had 3 turnovers that they turned into 14 points, and they won by 14 points. Clean that up and turn one of those possessions into a FG, we win 27-24.
And don’t give up 60 yard kickoff returns.

Answer is don’t play 4-2-5. You need to pull in the extra linebacker and at least try to shut down the inside run.

And that’s one reason why the 425 is crap. The offense just schemed you into a different defense. Simply walking a hybrid safety down isn’t the same. You need a bigger body that can take on blocks, shed blocks and make tackles in traffic. WSU doesn’t have that guy.

Dickert has taken the 425 as far as it can go without a true NG and hybrid. The kids play hard. They bring it. But they are schemed into positions they can’t handle.

When I write about a NG… 6’3” 280 isn’t it. 6’3” 320 is it. The kind of guy that can’t be moved. Too heavy, too low a center of gravity. Or, a freak show. 6’7” 340 type. That’s what it takes to shut down the inside run in the 425.

One of my favorite videos. Before Gilrod became a sycophant.

His partner in the booth there seems to be trying to sound like Keith Jackson.

At about 8:15, Chad Davis throws a TD that covers about 50 yards in the air. I’m sure I was at that game (in fact, I’m positive) but I don’t recall ever seeing Davis cover that much ground.

Maybe it happened while I was getting a refill.

And that’s one reason why the 425 is crap. The offense just schemed you into a different defense. Simply walking a hybrid safety down isn’t the same. You need a bigger body that can take on blocks, shed blocks and make tackles in traffic. WSU doesn’t have that guy.

Dickert has taken the 425 as far as it can go without a true NG and hybrid. The kids play hard. They bring it. But they are schemed into positions they can’t handle.

When I write about a NG… 6’3” 280 isn’t it. 6’3” 320 is it. The kind of guy that can’t be moved. Too heavy, too low a center of gravity. Or, a freak show. 6’7” 340 type. That’s what it takes to shut down the inside run in the 425.
Maybe if we had the right bodies it would work, but I just don’t like the way it pencils out against the inside run. Even worse against an option or RPO. The inside out support just isn’t there.

His partner in the booth there seems to be trying to sound like Keith Jackson.

At about 8:15, Chad Davis throws a TD that covers about 50 yards in the air. I’m sure I was at that game (in fact, I’m positive) but I don’t recall ever seeing Davis cover that much ground.

Maybe it happened while I was getting a refill.
I was there too. I don’t remember anything about Davis other than “Who was the QB when we had the Posse?”

But, I do remember having killer D with Price and Doba. We didn’t win championships, but we were relevant. Leach made O the emphasis and it made us relevant. We will never be the team that puts both together long enough to pull out a C, but we can scare the he double hockey sticks outta anyone if we quit trying to be amazing on both. IMHO.

That said, the physical skill on D in ’94 was unprecedented. I played HS ball against Mobley. He was a stud even back then. Could you imagine trying to spread that talent out? I heard Price would recruit offensive guys and put them on D. Perhaps. But man, the D’s we had were amazing. The Boz wishes he could have been on that team.

Maybe if we had the right bodies it would work, but I just don’t like the way it pencils out against the inside run. Even worse against an option or RPO. The inside out support just isn’t there.

I’ve been saying it since Dickert arrived. It is a shit defensive scheme for WSU. Prove to me you can get the NG and Hybrid you need, I change my tune. Until then, Oregon ran over the scheme.

I was there too. I don’t remember anything about Davis other than “Who was the QB when we had the Posse?”

But, I do remember having killer D with Price and Doba. We didn’t win championships, but we were relevant. Leach made O the emphasis and it made us relevant. We will never be the team that puts both together long enough to pull out a C, but we can scare the he double hockey sticks outta anyone if we quit trying to be amazing on both. IMHO.

That said, the physical skill on D in ’94 was unprecedented. I played HS ball against Mobley. He was a stud even back then. Could you imagine trying to spread that talent out? I heard Price would recruit offensive guys and put them on D. Perhaps. But man, the D’s we had were amazing. The Boz wishes he could have been on that team.
He did. Ron Childs was a HS running back. I think one of the DBs (Rushing?) was a QB. He used to recruit athletes and give the good ones to Doba.

I’ve been saying it since Dickert arrived. It is a shit defensive scheme for WSU. Prove to me you can get the NG and Hybrid you need, I change my tune. Until then, Oregon ran over the scheme.
Yeah. I always thought the same about Grinch’s 3-4/4-3 hybrid. It needs 2 freaks - a true nose, and an LB with the size/speed/strength to put his hand on the ground. We didn’t have either.

4-3 is pretty vanilla, but it’s the most common scheme and probably the one that’s easiest for us to recruit to.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
Yeah. I always thought the same about Grinch’s 3-4/4-3 hybrid. It needs 2 freaks - a true nose, and an LB with the size/speed/strength to put his hand on the ground. We didn’t have either.

4-3 is pretty vanilla, but it’s the most common scheme and probably the one that’s easiest for us to recruit to.
I think the 4-3 allows you to stock pile a bunch of athletes too and coach them up. Thinking late Price teams.

I liked Grinch’s scheme better. I think you can recruit to it easier and get kids on the field faster on the DL.

The issue is size. 6’3” just isnt big enough. Unless you have great speed or enormous strength or both. Having neither won’t work.

The Doba 43 was simple. Find the 2 largest humans you can to play DT, find the 2 fastest guys you can to play DE and get some LBs that can run sideline to sideline to make tackles.

Also consider this, we are seeing more teams in the league go to running offenses. More tight ends, more carries, more running qbs. What is the point in running a 425 defense to stop a passing attack when OSU, Cal, Utah, Colorado, UCLA, etc are all headed towards running the ball more?

I liked Grinch’s scheme better. I think you can recruit to it easier and get kids on the field faster on the DL.

The issue is size. 6’3” just isnt big enough. Unless you have great speed or enormous strength or both. Having neither won’t work.

The Doba 43 was simple. Find the 2 largest humans you can to play DT, find the 2 fastest guys you can to play DE and get some LBs that can run sideline to sideline to make tackles.

Also consider this, we are seeing more teams in the league go to running offenses. More tight ends, more carries, more running qbs. What is the point in running a 425 defense to stop a passing attack when OSU, Cal, Utah, Colorado, UCLA, etc are all headed towards running the ball more?
Can we mention Brady hopes 3-3. Too soon?

That’s my fav defense. It is what I think WSU should be running.
I think that fits the kids we typically land a little better (fast but smaller)…except the front 3. You need the strong nose, even better if you’ve got 3 solid DTs. We’ve had groups in the past that would have been great for it. Not sure we have in the last couple years.
I do like its flexibility, and if you’ve got the athletes you can bring pressure from everywhere. I remember several years back, we had a series with New Mexico when they were running it. They weren’t very good, but their D gave us fits because our line couldn’t figure out how to block it, or where the blitz was going to come from.

I think that fits the kids we typically land a little better (fast but smaller)…except the front 3. You need the strong nose, even better if you’ve got 3 solid DTs. We’ve had groups in the past that would have been great for it. Not sure we have in the last couple years.
I do like its flexibility, and if you’ve got the athletes you can bring pressure from everywhere. I remember several years back, we had a series with New Mexico when they were running it. They weren’t very good, but their D gave us fits because our line couldn’t figure out how to block it, or where the blitz was going to come from.

You have to run gaps. You can’t line up and go belly to belly with the OL. WSU cannot land the DL consistently to do that. You have to line up head up and sprint gaps. Make the OL guess. Don’t let them muscle you. Make them turn their shoulders and take bad steps. Generally out athlete them. Stack the linebackers and turn them loose. Don’t give the offense any reads.

Running a 425 defense when you can’t get the 2 most important pieces is the equivalent of being an air raid offense and you can’t get a decent QB or wide receivers that catch. It won’t work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT