ADVERTISEMENT

Priester and Dimry

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
Getting Priester and Dimri back is a significant boost to the program. Valencia is regarded to be a beast and ready to compete for immediate time at tackle. The Oline depth in this class is outstanding. Falk coming back was huge, and sets up our QB depth nicely for the future. Some great back 7 prospects. A good kicker. Need DTs, and will have to prioritize that immediately.

If we can flip Calvin tomorrow, this will be one of the best recruiting seasons I can remember. I'm lumping the Dimri and Priester return in with the recruiting class. I really think Priester is going to have a huge year. I'm normally skittish about suspended players, but Priester stuck with the program and stayed in Pullman. That demonstrates commitment. By the time Fall camp is over, he's going to be the most polished athlete on the field. A guy who's big enough to be a #1 outside WR and quick enough to play in the slot.

Granted, it's only on paper at this point, but we look to be strong on the o-line and skill positions for a few years. With Leach, that's usually a winning combo.

WSU offense with Goliath blocking and a receiver that can take the top off the defense averages 42 points per game. Yes or no???

WSU offense with Goliath blocking and a receiver that can take the top off the defense averages 42 points per game. Yes or no???

Don't forget the most productive RB corps we've ever had. 42 ppg is a possibility.

Priester and Dimry will both be back. That is great news. They both have outstanding talent. The WR coaches now have a lot of talent to work with .

Um, wasn't that the talk prior to last season with O'Connell and Marks?

If this team EVER scores 42 a game (not sure if you're using hyperbole) it will be a final four team. Which I'm fine with :)

Reactions: CPtheCoug
Um, wasn't that the talk prior to last season with O'Connell and Marks?

If this team EVER scores 42 a game (not sure if you're using hyperbole) it will be a final four team. Which I'm fine with :)

Do you know why dropping 8 into coverage works so well against WSU? It's because they can't make teams pay running the ball against a 3 man pressure and they can't stretch the 8 bodies in coverage vertically by connecting on deep passes.

Yes, if WSU can do that they'll score 42 per game. The average might be lower against FBS teams, but mix in a few blowouts against non FBS and you'll see the scoring average climb.

Do you know why dropping 8 into coverage works so well against WSU? It's because they can't make teams pay running the ball against a 3 man pressure and they can't stretch the 8 bodies in coverage vertically by connecting on deep passes.

Yes, if WSU can do that they'll score 42 per game. The average might be lower against FBS teams, but mix in a few blowouts against non FBS and you'll see the scoring average climb.

You don't need a burner to stretch the defense - you need a guy who can climb a ladder and high point the ball and win most of those battles, which used to be Marks before his injury in 2015. We DID stretch defenses in 2015, becausee we had too and I think that was Luke's default check was to go deep. He now utilizes the run much more and to much better effect.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that this offense does more with less. Yes, having a speed guy can help, but not if he can't bring the ball down. I'd rather have a Marks who can go up and win a jump ball 30 yards down field than a guy who can get a step or two on the db and alligator arms it, or worse won't go up for a jump ball because he doesn't want to get hurt.

You don't need a burner to stretch the defense - you need a guy who can climb a ladder and high point the ball and win most of those battles, which used to be Marks before his injury in 2015. We DID stretch defenses in 2015, becausee we had too and I think that was Luke's default check was to go deep. He now utilizes the run much more and to much better effect.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that this offense does more with less. Yes, having a speed guy can help, but not if he can't bring the ball down. I'd rather have a Marks who can go up and win a jump ball 30 yards down field than a guy who can get a step or two on the db and alligator arms it, or worse won't go up for a jump ball because he doesn't want to get hurt.

30 yards isn't deep enough. Burner, leaper, whoever.

Actually, it does help if the kid can't bring the ball down. Clearly catching the ball is best case scenario. However, the other team isn't going to just let the kid run free down the field. They will have someone chase him. The defense is subtracting numbers from 20 yards and in and adding numbers down field. That helps short routes, that helps the run game.

And it isn't about just having 1 guy that can get downfield, it's about having multiple guys that can get downfield. Wanna see the run game grow? Run out of 4 verts with kids that can stretch the field.

And with the stroke of a pen.... WSU has a slot that can stretch the field vertically. Great day for WSU!!! Get this kid coached up.

Reactions: froropmkr72
Speed kills baby. Return game, go routes or even slant routes.
Pair him with the best open field runner we have on the outside. Work a couple different tunnel/bubble screen combos using each one. Let the defense worry about which one might get the ball on any given play. Then check out of it and hit them in the mouth with Morrow behind O'Connell or catch them creeping up and go over the top:p

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT