ADVERTISEMENT

Reports: Jason Gesser has resigned (New thread to discuss)

Speaking of budgets, Prez Shulz made a big deal when he first got here about not building any more edifices unless we had funding in hand. Well gee, what about the new $61 million building below? WSU breaks ground, and will ask the Legislature for the little bit ($36 million!) extra it will take to complete it? What if Olympia says no?

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/sep/16/wsu-breaks-ground-on-619-million-building-addition/

WSU spent about $1.9 million on planning and design work before the Legislature approved $23 million for the project in its 2018 capital budget. She said the university will ask lawmakers for another $36.4 million to complete the project in 2019. WSU officials say the project should be completed by January 2021.
I think Schulz was referring to buildings for Athletics. We never really have "funding in hand" for research and academic buildings, it's all appropriated by the legislature each biennium (and was almost a year late in 17-19). It's given to WSU as a pot of money, and then divided up between projects based on the university's priorities. And, based on the legislative appropriation, there's not necessarily a guarantee that a project that had its design funded will move to construction...at least not immediately.

What always floors me is the money WSU blows on design. Projects get funding, and then spend 2 years in pre-design, usually costing from high 6 to low 7 figures. Then they spend 2 years in design, another 7 figures. Then they go to construction for 8 figures. At that phase, WSU has gone to doing things as design-build projects, so in spite of the 4 years and couple million dollars spent in design, they allow the contractor team to change the design on the fly during construction. Of course, those changes are then accompanied by change orders, which cost extra. You want to know where WSU loses money? Look at construction. And then compare a building built by WSU to one built by Schwietzer...or any other commercial enterprise. Commercial construction will get a better building, with better construction management, and it'll be done sooner and for less money.

I'll make you a bet - Pullman is looking for $36 million for their building. They're going to get about $27 million of it by cancelling construction of a new building in Tri-Cities, and re-appropriating that money.

I think Schulz was referring to buildings for Athletics. We never really have "funding in hand" for research and academic buildings, it's all appropriated by the legislature each biennium (and was almost a year late in 17-19). It's given to WSU as a pot of money, and then divided up between projects based on the university's priorities. And, based on the legislative appropriation, there's not necessarily a guarantee that a project that had its design funded will move to construction...at least not immediately.

What always floors me is the money WSU blows on design. Projects get funding, and then spend 2 years in pre-design, usually costing from high 6 to low 7 figures. Then they spend 2 years in design, another 7 figures. Then they go to construction for 8 figures. At that phase, WSU has gone to doing things as design-build projects, so in spite of the 4 years and couple million dollars spent in design, they allow the contractor team to change the design on the fly during construction. Of course, those changes are then accompanied by change orders, which cost extra. You want to know where WSU loses money? Look at construction. And then compare a building built by WSU to one built by Schwietzer...or any other commercial enterprise. Commercial construction will get a better building, with better construction management, and it'll be done sooner and for less money.

I'll make you a bet - Pullman is looking for $36 million for their building. They're going to get about $27 million of it by cancelling construction of a new building in Tri-Cities, and re-appropriating that money.
My wife is in the middle of pre-pro and just finished first stage design for a 4 story building. It gets complicated but she has to go through the state. What a cluster. Her builder is commercial and he's about to leave because the state is so full of sh!t. It's such a leviathan, a bloated load of crap, I wouldn't do business with them if someone threatened my life.

Reactions: Cougzz
Why thank you. I will, although I can't speak to recent WSU budgeting processes (real or non-existent). I looked through the Athletics staff directory, a lot of names, and a lot of newer names. Wish I had made a copy of this same list before Moos arrived, then again say, right after he left. That would tell us a lot.

One department that doesn't seem very large or experienced is the Business Office. Good people I'm sure, just seemingly not a lot of experience. Sr. Woman's Assoc. AD Anne McCoy (came with Sterk from PSU) was the head finance person, but I don't really see that in her current bio. Someone has to count all those beans.

Another good comparison, which I don't have the desire to do, would be to match up our directory against comparable programs, ex: Oregon State, and see how it lines up. But yes it does appear that the upper layer of administration is a bit larger than what I recall. I find Chun's new Chief of Staff interesting - he brough

Finally, looks like Bo Moos is no longer there.

https://wsucougars.com/staff.aspx?staff=12

Speaking of budgets, Prez Shulz made a big deal when he first got here about not building any more edifices unless we had funding in hand. Well gee, what about the new $61 million building below? WSU breaks ground, and will ask the Legislature for the little bit ($36 million!) extra it will take to complete it? What if Olympia says no?

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/sep/16/wsu-breaks-ground-on-619-million-building-addition/

WSU spent about $1.9 million on planning and design work before the Legislature approved $23 million for the project in its 2018 capital budget. She said the university will ask lawmakers for another $36.4 million to complete the project in 2019. WSU officials say the project should be completed by January 2021.
Why thank you. I will, although I can't speak to recent WSU budgeting processes (real or non-existent). I looked through the Athletics staff directory, a lot of names, and a lot of newer names. Wish I had made a copy of this same list before Moos arrived, then again say, right after he left. That would tell us a lot.

One department that doesn't seem very large or experienced is the Business Office. Good people I'm sure, just seemingly not a lot of experience. Sr. Woman's Assoc. AD Anne McCoy (came with Sterk from PSU) was the head finance person, but I don't really see that in her current bio. Someone has to count all those beans.

Another good comparison, which I don't have the desire to do, would be to match up our directory against comparable programs, ex: Oregon State, and see how it lines up. But yes it does appear that the upper layer of administration is a bit larger than what I recall. I find Chun's new Chief of Staff interesting - he brought her from Florida with her all of 4 years of experience out of college. I think this is a new position (directory link below).

All the titles - yeah I equate that to your local bank. Every other person is a Vice-President. One thing I've found is that rank-and-file Athletics employees in general (at least at WSU historically) didn't make all that much money, so the titles were important vis a vis future opportunities.

I used to know John David Wicker (now mega $ AD at SD State). Good guy. He worked hard, did a lot of things, didn't make squat. It is all about paying your dues and looking for the big break elsewhere.

Finally, looks like Bo Moos is no longer there.

https://wsucougars.com/staff.aspx?staff=12

I read that Bo Moos is now an Assistant Athletic Director/Director of Philanthropy at EWU.

Chip are you serious. The mention of Kavanaughs accuser isn't obnoxious in the manner it was brought up. It was simply to highlight the long term damage these events have on woman, or can have on woman. I make no mention if I think Kavanaugh is guilty or innocent. I am simply saying something of a sexual nature (she claims) happened to her and she is still emotionally dealing (seeing a counselor) with it 30 years later, thus saying events can have a long lasting effect.
Doesn't matter. Just develop some awareness for how obnoxious it is to bring up hot button political issues on a football forum. If that's difficult, just read through and see how many extracurricular posts that created.

Did you reach your hand up her dress and grab her butt.....and then continue to try and kiss her and say it was ok because nobody needed to know? Did you do that again? And again until she finally ran to the door and demand that you leave? Did you do pull your dick out in front of a girl and pull her hand towards it.....knowing that she wasn't there to have sex with you? If you haven't done either of those things.....you can rest assured that you haven't stepped into the world of Jason Gesser that we've been introduced to. Lots of guys have done regrettable things and they should know that they are at risk if they put themselves in a high profile public position. Lots of stories are more innocent like the tale above of putting a hand on a thigh and realizing it was a mistake and not doubling down and seeing what it would take to get a forceful rejection.

Sometimes, "date rape" is an incredibly complex situation where the truth is incredibly difficult to identify. I inadvertently caused a girl to get date raped a little over 20 years ago. My wife and I introduced a friend of hers to one of my co-workers and went on a double date with them. They hit it off and went on another date without us. The girl came to us and told us that she had been raped by my co-worker. I confronted him on it and it was extremely awkward to say the least. After talking to both parties a couple different times, the girl realized that even though the guy had went too far, too fast, he wasn't a terrible guy who made a habit of this type of action and it was more of a terrible misunderstanding than anything else. They've been married for over 20 years now. It doesn't excuse his actions, but the world would not be a better place if he had been prosecuted.

Gesser's situation is obviously more complex because there appears to be a pattern with him and It's undoubtedly a good thing for him if this disappears and no others feel compelled to come forward. Falling on the sword now and trying to move on is his best move by far. He shouldn't get off easy but I hope that he finds another chance in life once he's made some real changes. He can go talk to Leaf about how it goes if he doesn't really do some soul searching and go for real change.
Rather than citing the most extreme possible scenarios of physical, sexual harassment, go ahead and respond to my post. I'll wait...

From the Lewiston newspaper editorial:

“In other words, it took a student newspaper a week to do what an entire university failed to accomplish over a period of months. Makes you wonder what will emerge from the next "thorough" and "comprehensive" investigation.

Did Schulz and WSU willingly close their eyes to allegations involving a popular former football star and fundraiser for athletics?

Or were they just inept?

“In other words, it took a student newspaper a week to do what an entire university failed to accomplish over a period of months. Makes you wonder what will emerge from the next "thorough" and "comprehensive" investigation.

Did Schulz and WSU willingly close their eyes to allegations involving a popular former football star and fundraiser for athletics?

Or were they just inept?
The investigation of the investigation is probably called for.

The investigation of the investigation is probably called for.

It's very possible that WSU did talk to everyone that they specifically knew about and it's possible that everyone said, "Nope....nothing happened" so the investigation itself doesn't have to be a cover-up just because it didn't find anything. That said, I have no doubt that WSU only went as far as the obvious breadcrumbs led them and was happy to not ask the difficult questions or really pursue the issue. I do believe that WSU would be well served to have a third party review done in situations like this just so they have better plausible deniability if things go south and another accuser shows up once the story reaches the general public.

At this point in time, none of the people who previously said that nothing happened have stepped forward and said that the university forced them to falsify statements. I think we have some staff that are possibly guilty of sticking their heads in the sand to protect the university, but I don't believe that this was a concerted attempt by WSU and staff to falsify information to cover it up.

Or were they just inept?
CBS's 60 Minutes is similar.

They expose a weakness, or the truth, and Monday morning the government, or congress reacts. In fact, there is someone, somewhere, specifically a government official who's part of his/her responsiblity is to literraly watch 60 minutes, and report (or wake up) anything the government needs to look at, investigate, or take action on.

Unfortunately, (except for safety initiatives), a lot of companies, businesses, governments, and universities are generally reactive instead of proactive.

From a recent article about the rules of crisis management:
  • Recognize the crisis as a crisis
  • Get out as much information as possible as soon as possible, particularly any negative information
  • Avoid saying anything that has to be withdrawn
  • Avoid doing anything that looks like a cover-up
In general, I think WSU tried to do a good job of crisis management on this. The only major failure that I saw was that Jack Thompson was called out for telling people to "stay in their lanes".......which ends up being a failure on point #4. The quotes related to him give the appearance of a potential cover-up, even if all he was doing was trying to keep people from rumor mongering.

It's very possible that WSU did talk to everyone that they specifically knew about and it's possible that everyone said, "Nope....nothing happened" so the investigation itself doesn't have to be a cover-up just because it didn't find anything. That said, I have no doubt that WSU only went as far as the obvious breadcrumbs led them and was happy to not ask the difficult questions or really pursue the issue. I do believe that WSU would be well served to have a third party review done in situations like this just so they have better plausible deniability if things go south and another accuser shows up once the story reaches the general public.

At this point in time, none of the people who previously said that nothing happened have stepped forward and said that the university forced them to falsify statements. I think we have some staff that are possibly guilty of sticking their heads in the sand to protect the university, but I don't believe that this was a concerted attempt by WSU and staff to falsify information to cover it up.
I’m not assuming a coverup. I tend to agree with you about the effort level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT