ADVERTISEMENT

serious replacement at DC

froropmkr72

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2004
no Balls or Joe's. Name some candidates that would make complete sense. I'll throw in Chris Klieman - current HC at North Dakota State. Making $450 as long as he wins championships. Number one defense in the FCS. Would be considered for serious head coaching jobs in 2019'. He's a defensive coach. Name some others.

no Balls or Joe's. Name some candidates that would make complete sense. I'll throw in Chris Klieman - current HC at North Dakota State. Making $450 as long as he wins championships. Number one defense in the FCS. Would be considered for serious head coaching jobs in 2019'. He's a defensive coach. Name some others.

poo - I was typing my Ken Wilson post and missed this one. Mine is better anyway :p

poo - I was typing my Ken Wilson post and missed this one. Mine is better anyway :p
Wilson would be the likely choice if they wanted to stay in house.
Danny Gonzalez- current DC at San Diego State and brings Tony White along as 10th coach. SDSU had the 11th ranked defense in the nation and they're both making under $200,000. White's an excellent recruiter in addition to being a good db coach and having been a good linebacker coach in the past.

Last edited:
Wilson would be the likely choice if they wanted to stay in house.
Danny Gonsalez- current DC at San Diego State and brings Tony White along as 10th coach. SDSU had the 11th ranked defense in the nation and they're both making under $200,000. White's an excellent recruiter in addition to being a good db coach and having been a good linebacker coach in the past.

Gonzalez to Arizona State DC per San Diego Union Tribune this morning (they say delaying announcement til after their bowl game per Rocky Long acknowledging the offer)

Long says he should take it - quadruple salary and be DC

Gonzalez to Arizona State DC per San Diego Union Tribune this morning (they say delaying announcement til after their bowl game per Rocky Long acknowledging the offer)

Long says he should take it - quadruple salary and be DC
Holy cow. things are moving fast, $800000?

Reactions: washingtonsooner
Rocky long is the defensive coordinator at SDSU.Whoever hired Gonzales is not getting what they think they are getting. He is the DC in name only. Long makes 800 K a year

Gonzales salary about $190K in 2017 so doubt he'll get 4X

Rocky talking off the cuff there I guess but his comments seemed sincere Danny should leap at the opportunity

You want names , how about these ?

Brady Hoke ,Gary Anderson, Kevin Clune, Ruffian McNeil.

Leach also seemed really impressed with what Minnesota did defensively . Would not be surprised to see Jay Sawvel or Tracy Claeys ( long shot) in the mix.

Leach also seemed really impressed with what Minnesota did defensively . Would not be surprised to see Jay Sawvel or Tracy Claeys ( long shot) in the mix.

Is Claeys coaching after what happened?

Reactions: brettcraycraft51

Sorry but a BIG NO on Gary Anderson. He was bad at OS and quit mid season. Plus his texting with Canzano from the Oregonian that was made public was just bizarre. He brings way to much negativity imo.

Where does Leach hang out in Pullman? I might go down after the holidays and hoist a few with him. Maybe it s time, i change careers and look seriously at becoming a DC?

Where does Leach hang out in Pullman? I might go down after the holidays and hoist a few with him. Maybe it s time, i change careers and look seriously at becoming a DC?

NO NO ElC, you will never be the DC for the Cougs. When the tenth assistant job starts on January 9th...we already have you slotted in as the QB coach. You have a keen eye for QB's.

NO NO ElC, you will never be the DC for the Cougs. When the tenth assistant job starts on January 9th...we already have you slotted in as the QB coach. You have a keen eye for QB's.

...Hell, I had him penciled in as our new Athletic Director...

Thanks Alpine i knew i had a place on leach s staff. A few beers, a few laughs,hang outside his office, and praise and i am in!. Hot damn,i can t wait for the coaching conferences to begin!.Hell, i never have coached linemen ,played line or special teams but maybe they will open up? Those guys may move on to head coaching positions. Do you think?

Affordable is not what the cougs need. They actually need a younger,energetic and aggressive coach who will coach the hell out of the defense. Grinch was great for the cougs. and he should think twice about leaving. I believe that the cougs will have a better defense next year. They will have a better D line if Hercules stays. I believe he will stay if he thinks they may win a championship., The offense will finally have a chance to be a true Air Raid offense, Any of the two QB s or the frosh will be a huge improvement over the QB play this year.The cougs are poised to make a big move and if Grinch stays he can embellish his credentials into a head coaching job next year.

Affordable is not what the cougs need. They actually need a younger,energetic and aggressive coach who will coach the hell out of the defense. Grinch was great for the cougs. and he should think twice about leaving. I believe that the cougs will have a better defense next year. They will have a better D line if Hercules stays. I believe he will stay if he thinks they may win a championship., The offense will finally have a chance to be a true Air Raid offense, Any of the two QB s or the frosh will be a huge improvement over the QB play this year.The cougs are poised to make a big move and if Grinch stays he can embellish his credentials into a head coaching job next year.
You're funny.

Consider one thing. Grinch is an excellent football coach, who clearly has done well at DC.

But he is not a recruiter.

I'd prefer a great coach at DC if we have plenty of recruiters. But it would be nice to have a DC who could have been the lead recruiter for at least one kid this year. Pretty much says that either he can't or won't (or both) go through that effort.

And you gotta wonder how OSU is going to utilize him as the added assistant, who can't/won't recruit...with an existing DC that does not appear to be going anywhere.

Consider one thing. Grinch is an excellent football coach, who clearly has done well at DC.

But he is not a recruiter.

I'd prefer a great coach at DC if we have plenty of recruiters. But it would be nice to have a DC who could have been the lead recruiter for at least one kid this year. Pretty much says that either he can't or won't (or both) go through that effort.

And you gotta wonder how OSU is going to utilize him as the added assistant, who can't/won't recruit...with an existing DC that does not appear to be going anywhere.

There are some schools that can get by with coaches that aren't charismatic or have a brand name that precedes them. WSU isn't on that list.

IMO, you need a few tip top guys to run the show and the rest of them are charismatic recruiters that coach a position.

Your head man and coordinators have to be tip top. Your OL, DL, QB and DB coaches have to tip top. The other guys can be JAGs.

Yes! Go hoist a few with Leach!! Wow, brilliant. Just remember to use your insane command of the English language, cuz that'll impress him fo sho.

Will do .it has worked before with Leach. damn fo Perhaps we can use you on the scout team? Cub scouts have a place,down in the end zone.

I don't know if he's a "serious" contender but it's been reported the Akey was at practice today (might have been yesterday). His son, I believe is a volunteer, for WSU...

Gawd as much as I like Akey... all I needed to see was a game vs USC with Steve Smith in the slot and.... DISASTER! Forget it

Bill McGovern- linebacker coach at NY Giants and former DC at Boston College. 13th ranked defense and 19th scoring offense. x and o's guy who maybe not recruit...although he has a very grandfatherly smile.

Bill McGovern- linebacker coach at NY Giants and former DC at Boston College. 13th ranked defense and 19th scoring offense. x and o's guy who maybe not recruit...although he has a very grandfatherly smile.

We need someone who will recruit. All coaches at WSU must be recruiters.

We need someone who will recruit. All coaches at WSU must be recruiters.

With the 10th assistant, I could see the DC's recruiting responsibilities being less than other coaches.

I don't know if he's a "serious" contender but it's been reported the Akey was at practice today (might have been yesterday). His son, I believe is a volunteer, for WSU...

Yes, I have heard this mentioned or listed by several media outlets.

Not sure if Coach Akey is the leading candidate or this is just the result of the internet echo chamber.

What would Akey's price tag be?

Could he be had for 500k or so, which would allow CML to throw some additional $$$ at his new "10th assistant" next month?

I think Claeys is still collecting a large salary, but he would be a really good one in spite of the controversy. Kill defended him after the firing and so did many others. Great list PingDude.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
I respect the fact you brought the name of a candidate rather than simply belaboring shortcomings of others who may also bring value in a specific role.

I like the Minnesota connection. They were known for speed defense. Phelps already familiar. As long as we are getting recruiters. The early signing period seems to be hurting the bigger programs, as they are less able to steal their second tier guys from the WSUs of the world. They will have to go after third tier guys when they missed on their first tiers on Dec. 20th.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
Claeys would be interesting. I do not know if he would be happy about the restaurant spread in pullman although.

I’d rather get a defensive coach from Michigan State. D’Antonio is a good coach. There’s gotta be an up and comer there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT