4. Hawk
5. Longrus

By PAC 12 play
1. Callison
2. Ike
3. Que
4. Hawk
5. Clifford

Along with these guys I see Boese and Suggs getting significant minutes, after that who ever steps up plays and there are plenty of minutes to be earned. Based on what I've heard it would not surprise me to see Franks red-shirt.

I see the same with King being a possible starter. If Que and Longrus do not pick it up they may see their minutes significantly decreased. Boese should transfer to a lower classification as he is not a D 1 caliber player. He was totally ineffective against PAC 12 opponents.

Clifford/Izundu
Hawkinson/ Longrus/Franks
Que/ king/Franks
Ike/ Sugg
Callison/ Redding

Kent will no longer have to look down his bench is despair as he now has adequate troops and depth at all positions.

Boese had 16pts and 5 assists in the biggest win of the season, the OT win vs Oregon. Kent has already expressed he believes Boese will have a good SR season a sentiment shared by Devonte on Jim Basnight's radio show the other night. That being said he slumped hard toward the end of the season and if someone steps up he could see his minutes drop. Last year Boese was one deminsional, if his shot wasn't falling he was not nearly as effective. I however believe everything runs smoother with him in the game. I do agree on Que, its time to live up to the hype. I think Suggs could steal some of those minutes. If King can contribute that would be an added bonus but not sure coming off the broken leg and a very average JC year. Your ability to judge talent is clouded by your extreme hatred of a coach that is gone.

I see the same with King being a possible starter. If Que and Longrus do not pick it up they may see their minutes significantly decreased. Boese should transfer to a lower classification as he is not a D 1 caliber player. He was totally ineffective against PAC 12 opponents.

Gee, I remember you saying the same thing a year ago about Hawkinson. I also remember you predicting that Cheatum would be a starter last year. Sorry, but I'll trust Coach Kent to make the proper personnel decisions despite the great advice you offer.

By the way, Cougars don't beat UW or UO last year without the contributions of Boese. Check out the game log if you don't believe me

Ny
Ike
Que
Hawk
Valentine -- Conor will get plenty of minutes as well

Defense will be the key to minutes early. If you don't play it you will be on the bench.

Ny
Ike
Que
Hawk
Valentine -- Conor will get plenty of minutes as well

Defense will be the key to minutes early. If you don't play it you will be on the bench.
I hope defense takes some priority moving forward. We might have the depth to make it more of a priority. That's pretty much how I see the lineup but I haven't seen much of Izundu or Clifford to project. With Clifford I wonder about his defense especially thinking about interior defense paired with Hawkinson. I haven't seen Izundu at all.

Boese is slow,can't jump,rebound and he would have trouble guarding himself. He had a couple of good games. His "slump" was horrendous and he saw less and less time as the season progressed. He cannot create his own shot. When they start practicing ,it will be readily apparent that the other players are better and that they will play. If fans want the cougs to be better than they will have to accept better players getting the minutes.

Boese is slow,can't jump,rebound and he would have trouble guarding himself. He had a couple of good games. His "slump" was horrendous and he saw less and less time as the season progressed. He cannot create his own shot. When they start practicing ,it will be readily apparent that the other players are better and that they will play. If fans want the cougs to be better than they will have to accept better players getting the minutes.
Boese is a 'tweener' but you really don't see any role for him moving forward? I think he will still be in the rotation next season. Obviously he need to shoot better to stay in the rotation.

Report on Valentine from D Lacy was rather glowing to say the least. Major defensive presence according to his interview on "Talking Hoops"

Boese is a nice Senior relief player. He can get hot and torch you. At the 3 spot where he will play he can do just fine. Hard worker and leader.

I was very happy to hear Lacy talk about Valentine as a solid defensive presence, if that holds true I will have to move him up on my depth chart.

I think there are 3 "locks" to start and play major minutes next season--Hawk, Ike and Que. Que should be ready to take over Lacey's scoring output. I also see Longrus getting more minutes. I have always liked his game and view his role as an inside banger, despite his height deficiencies. Valentine and Clifford will have to replace Railey, and early reports suggest they can quite nicely. It will remain for a couple of the newbies to fill a remaining guard spot and provide depth.

Boese is a nice Senior relief player. He can get hot and torch you. At the 3 spot where he will play he can do just fine. Hard worker and leader.

You're right. Boese is a real hard worker and hustles his ass off in games. However, it he can't hit the outside shot he's a liability.

According to Coach Kent the primary reason Boese's minutes went up was his defensive versatility. Thats from a January Q and A with the Spokesman Review. Sorry can't get the link to work.

According to Coach Kent the primary reason Boese's minutes went up was his defensive versatility. Thats from a January Q and A with the Spokesman Review. Sorry can't get the link to work.

Yes I remember that. He was hustling his butt off (both offensively and defensively) had a couple of really good games. After that he still hustled but his game couldn't keep up with his hustle. He's just a tad slow. I think he's a pretty good spot player and has to be an excellent practice player.

Kent is on record as saying that he expects all of the incoming jucos to contribute. All of the players will hustle and give 100 % . the more talented players will play. It is that simple. Que is so inconsistent that he may lose major moments next year. The big people will be Clifford,Izundu and Hawkinson. Longrus will be a 5-10 minute backup at best. He is a battler despite his size and i hope he will play.Izundu was a highly sought after HS product who ended up not getting along with his new coach,so he transferred. I see a two headed monster at center next year. Those two will make the cougs significantly better.I see Callison as the leader as he is solid at PG. i hope that he can beat that "solid" in his matchups with the better PAC 12 PG's.

I agree! I think Callison will be a significant contributor and very possibly start by conference play. I was less impressed with the recruitment of Izundu because he was relatively lightly recruited out of high school (Tulsa and SMU being his best suitors) and didn't do much at Houston.(under the old coach.) Sampson showed no interest in keeping him around. The changes I saw in Railey under coach Kent were very impressive, a red shirt year with Kent and staff, couple that with what Devonte Lacy said about him and I'm excited to see what Lzundu brings to the table.
I also agree our athleticism will be better, which will allow coach to further implement his style.

Agreed. I see Clifford as being the starter. If Izundu can give then 12-15 minutes a game as a shot blocker ,some rebounding then he will really be an asset to the team.He runs the court exceptionally well and has the potential to disrupt a team with his defensive presence.He has always been regarded as an excellent shot blocker. His problem has been weight,strength, and lack of an offensive game.Hopefully the staff has worked on his weaknesses since his arrival in Pullman.

Agreed. I see Clifford as being the starter. If Izundu can give then 12-15 minutes a game as a shot blocker ,some rebounding then he will really be an asset to the team.He runs the court exceptionally well and has the potential to disrupt a team with his defensive presence.He has always been regarded as an excellent shot blocker. His problem has been weight,strength, and lack of an offensive game.Hopefully the staff has worked on his weaknesses since his arrival in Pullman.
All good points. If Izundu can be a defensive presence, he will be worth the scholarship. When either Hawk or Clifford are off the floor, it will be good to still have size on the floor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT