ADVERTISEMENT

So you say there’s a chance.....

Here is a good article on, about WSU's recruitment of Smalls.

Article says that Smalls really likes WSU a lot. And that he is going to definitely take 1+ unofficial visits, and maybe even probably take a official visit after the unofficial visits. And that since the unofficial visits dont count against his 5 official visit total, he is planning on, probably going to take a official visit as well.

Small said he has a lot of his friends at WSU.

Also the article said that WSU is the ONLY college that is offering him the chance to play both ways as WR in Air Raid, and DE/Linebacker.

With HBO's doing a reality show featuring WSU, with Smalls really liking WSU, with a lot of Small's friends at WSU, Mike Leach, ,ALL combined together with, if WSU wins 9,10,11,12 games, and if the Defense does good, etc, that there would probably be about a 33% to about 50% to about 69% chance that Smalls would choose WSU.

So not only just a chance, there is a good, great chance that he Smalls, chooses WSU.

WSU probably will be in his top 2,3, with about a good, great 33% to 50% to 69% chance that he would, will choose WSU.

ARTICLE:

https://247sports.com/college/washi...s-Eric-Mele-Mike-Leach-Cougars-134557835/Amp/

Also even if Smalls were to not choose WSU, its RARIFIED AIR that Leach, WSU, is that well in on a 5 star, #9 recruit in the nation.

But if he Small, does choose WSU, with no 2 stars, and only 3,4,5 stars, with 4 star Fitz, and if other 4 stars were to choose WSU because of 5 star Small Choosing WSU, that is probably going to be 1 hell of a recruiting class that might form the foundation of a run at the playoff's, Rosebowl, etc.

But even if it were to not do that, even if he were to not choose WSU, this can only help to get WSU more recruiting EXPOSURE, and help WSU with future IMAGE and recruiting.

RARIFIED AIR INDEED.

But maybe not so rare in future.

Article says that Smalls really likes WSU a lot. And that he is going to definitely take 1+ unofficial visits, and maybe even probably take a official visit after the unofficial visits. And that since the unofficial visits dont count against his 5 official visit total, he is planning on, probably going to take a official visit as well.

Also the article said that WSU is the ONLY college that is offering him the chance to play both ways as WR in Air Raid, and DE/Linebacker.

With HBO's doing a reality show featuring WSU, with Smalls really liking WSU, with a lot of Small's friends at WSU, Mike Leach, ,ALL combined together with, if WSU wins 9,10,11,12 games, and if the Defense does good, etc, that there would probably be about a 33% to about 50% to about 69% chance that Smalls would choose WSU.

So not only just a chance, there is a good, great chance that he Smalls, chooses WSU.

WSU probably will be in his top 2,3, with about a good, great 33% to 50% to 69% chance that he would, will choose WSU.

ARTICLE:

https://247sports.com/college/washi...s-Eric-Mele-Mike-Leach-Cougars-134557835/Amp/

Wow.....somewhere between a 33% and a 69% chance that you think he's going to consider WSU? That's some fine tuning right there.

Wow.....somewhere between a 33% and a 69% chance that you think he's going to consider WSU? That's some fine tuning right there.

Is my ignored friend talking out his a## again?

I'm reminded of our recruitment of Jonathan Stewart. Cougs finished #2 to Oregon despite having his clique (Hall, Gipson, and Danzy aka "The Venoms") commit to WSU. Another Seattle kid, too. 1% seems optimistic to me.

The way Smalls is handling his recruitment doesn't bode well for us. He released a top 8 with UW off the list (and made a big stink about not wanting to go there). Now they are on the top 6. He's playing Hamlett and he's good enough that every team on his list will hold a spot for him. I don't like our chances of beating flashier programs in a full court press situation. The opportunity to play both offense and defense has to be intriguing, but the other schools will let him do it of it becomes a deal breaker for him.

Reactions: SDCoug and Cougzz

ARTICLE:

Interesting, after I read the article I got more of a 23-42% chance. Let me read it again.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
Welcome to big boy football, gang. CML & staff with the full send.

I think it's a Top 5 and UW is just on the list for perception, at least from my understanding from reading prior information about him. A 20% chance to score one of the best players in the country - WSU is going nowhere but up.

Look what happens when you finally invest resources into your athletics.

ARTICLE:

The husky tears would be absolutely delicious...

He plays 3 years and leaves for the NFL best case scenario.

Pick the school with the best scheme for your skills and go do it.

Reactions: mikalalas
Cougs are the one school in his top 6 that doesn't shamelessly pay it's athlete's.

I think it's a Top 5 and UW is just on the list for perception, at least from my understanding from reading prior information about him. A 20% chance to score one of the best players in the country - WSU is going nowhere but up.

It really is restraining order worthy stuff. Sorry but if I’m an 18 year old kid figuring out where I want to play ball, that’s a turn off for me
I feel these kids really enjoy the attention. That’s why the fluff 4 and 5 stars end up at the soft schools. Soft schools have soft fans.

I feel these kids really enjoy the attention. That’s why the fluff 4 and 5 stars end up at the soft schools. Soft schools have soft fans.
Yes. Leach likes humble players that have a chip on their shoulder because the glamour programs don't recruit them. This guy doesn't seem to fit that description.

Reactions: kougkurt
You guys are really playing the WDWHA card early on this one. Nice work.
Awesome talent, but the self-absorbed social media games always makes me wonder.

He could very well choose a different school and shine. Our loss. But his choice could also say more about him than us. If he chooses a team coached by Leach, and I hope he does!, he better be ready to check his ego and prove himself all over again, every single week.

For some reason I'm reminded of Tate Martell. Five star tweeter.

The fact Leach said he could potentially play both ways says a hell of a lot. Leach isn't the type of flatter recruits. They must want him badly.

For me, I’d rather that he take us off his list if he doesn’t have us as his favorite. Hat dancing types annoy me and I don’t have any desire to have some kid sooth his ego by pandering to us and then pick UW or Alabama at the end.

I’ve got all sorts of negative feelings about him adding UW back to his list.

Imagine what Phelps could do for this kid over 3 seasons

The fact Leach said he could potentially play both ways says a hell of a lot. Leach isn't the type of flatter recruits. They must want him badly.
Not a bad strategy. I’d tell the kid he can try punting and kicking too if he wants

Imagine what Phelps could do for this kid over 3 seasons

I havent seen the kid play... but if he is fast and can run by guys WSU’s scheme on the DL is perfect for him. They just dont take on blocks head up. The stemming and slanting is perfect for guys that can run.

Any guy with blazing speed off the ball could wreck Herc’s numbers. TFL’s and sacks would be huge.

Play him both ways. Get as much out of him as possible.

You get 85 scholarships. If youre redshirting 20 of them youve got 65 guys left. Half for offense and half for defense... You have a 3 deep and not every guy is gonna be game ready. Im not saying make guys play every down... But if youve got guys that can give you reps at TE, FB, etc maybe you give them a shot???

Unless your roster is loaded you better find a way to get your best 11 on the field for as many snaps as possible. If that means guys get reps on both sides of the ball for you to be more competitive and win, do it.

Curious... we saw how many kids flock to Oregon for jerseys and shiny stuff.... what would happen if a school created a legit rep for playing guys both ways???? Does that help them land some talent they may not have been in the conversation for otherwise???

You get 85 scholarships. If youre redshirting 20 of them youve got 65 guys left. Half for offense and half for defense... You have a 3 deep and not every guy is gonna be game ready. Im not saying make guys play every down... But if youve got guys that can give you reps at TE, FB, etc maybe you give them a shot???

Unless your roster is loaded you better find a way to get your best 11 on the field for as many snaps as possible. If that means guys get reps on both sides of the ball for you to be more competitive and win, do it.

Curious... we saw how many kids flock to Oregon for jerseys and shiny stuff.... what would happen if a school created a legit rep for playing guys both ways???? Does that help them land some talent they may not have been in the conversation for otherwise???

In general, I don't think that Leach should be expending a whole lot of effort on the "playing both ways" type of thinking. Leach is all about executing at an extremely high level. The offense is predicated on the idea that the QB and Receivers make the same reads when they are at the line of scrimmage and alter their routes if necessary. The last thing we need is a bunch of players splitting time between offense and defense.

If we looking to appeal to a guy that's a rare talent, it might be worth considering, but in general, focus on being excellent at your primary job first.

Goodness. So, just to be clear...

He's a diva because...he's a 5 star and 5 stars don't work hard?

We'd rather have 3 stars because they work harder?

We don't want him because he...tweets?

We don't want "hat dance" guys?

We'd be better off if he just eliminated us now?

Man guys, talk about being afraid of the deep end.

Cougs are the one school in his top 6 that doesn't shamelessly pay it's athlete's.
How dare you!!!

I mean, why shouldn't a school that's had 3 HCs in 3 years and an unproven new HC, mediocre record over the same span, a carousel of coaches, and and and... why shouldn't that school have the #4 recruiting class in the nation?

Reactions: etowncoug

If by "shiny stuff" you mean cold hard cash, then yeah you got that right.

To be clear: I'd love to get him. But we don't offer bags full of cash, zero dollar principle loans, and no show jobs. Hard to land 5 star recruits when you don't do those things.

On the hat dance comment, I'm not afraid of the stresses of chasing elite talent that wants to take their visits and enjoy their lives. I'm not a fan of the guys who want to wait until the All American Bowl so they can make a fake move to one hat before pulling on the other one. If a guy hasn't figured out where he is playing by Thanksgiving and we are on his short list, I'd just as soon be off that list so we can concentrate on guys that want to be at WSU. For all the talk that him keeping us on the list making us relevant or proving that we are nationally relevant.......all I can say is that is a delusional fantasy. We aren't going to land elite talent with any regularity because some dude who likes twitter includes our picture on his list. We need to win Apple Cups, Pac-12 championships and BCS bowl games to really make a difference. Anything else is just noise. It's nice that he's including us on his list, but I won't care much about that until WSU lists him as having received his signed LOI.

Reactions: 79COUG
On the hat dance comment, I'm not afraid of the stresses of chasing elite talent that wants to take their visits and enjoy their lives. I'm not a fan of the guys who want to wait until the All American Bowl so they can make a fake move to one hat before pulling on the other one. If a guy hasn't figured out where he is playing by Thanksgiving and we are on his short list, I'd just as soon be off that list so we can concentrate on guys that want to be at WSU. For all the talk that him keeping us on the list making us relevant or proving that we are nationally relevant.......all I can say is that is a delusional fantasy. We aren't going to land elite talent with any regularity because some dude who likes twitter includes our picture on his list. We need to win Apple Cups, Pac-12 championships and BCS bowl games to really make a difference. Anything else is just noise. It's nice that he's including us on his list, but I won't care much about that until WSU lists him as having received his signed LOI.

Then don't care about it.

And by that, I mean don't post about him, insinuating he's some kind of egomaniac, twitter obsessed, hat dancing prima donna.

Then don't care about it.

And by that, I mean don't post about him, insinuating he's some kind of egomaniac, twitter obsessed, hat dancing prima donna.

Exactly. He says he's "not afraid of the stresses of chasing elite talent" yet he stresses over it and he stresses over what others feel about it. In the process, he does, as you say, make some insinuations about a teenager he's never met.
Of course, this is a guy who has gone from "Leach can't get us to bowl games" to "Leach can't win bowl games" to "Leach can't win a conference title." Then, once WSU earns a Pac-12 title, it'll be, "Leach can't win a Rose Bowl."

Exactly. He says he's "not afraid of the stresses of chasing elite talent" yet he stresses over it and he stresses over what others feel about it. In the process, he does, as you say, make some insinuations about a teenager he's never met.
Of course, this is a guy who has gone from "Leach can't get us to bowl games" to "Leach can't win bowl games" to "Leach can't win a conference title." Then, once WSU earns a Pac-12 title, it'll be, "Leach can't win a Rose Bowl."

"Stress" is an awful strong term for how I feel about it. You are projecting an awful lot. Again, I "stress" so much that I can't remember the last time that I checked who we've offered or not and I never go around twitter trying to see what our recruits are saying. Doesn't happen to fall in my job description. If you want to talk about people who seem to be worried how others feel, you might want to look at the above posts that are "stressing" about how Husky fans are stalking the kid. Again, I'm fine with going after the kid, but I just can't see getting excited about some kid who said that he had no interest in UW but immediately bowed to pressure from somewhere and added them back onto the list. He'll end up wherever he ends up. My biggest issue with kids like this is that people seem to get real wrapped in a kid that we have a pretty damned small chance of landing and I don't get that.

"Stress" is an awful strong term for how I feel about it. You are projecting an awful lot. Again, I "stress" so much that I can't remember the last time that I checked who we've offered or not and I never go around twitter trying to see what our recruits are saying. Doesn't happen to fall in my job description. If you want to talk about people who seem to be worried how others feel, you might want to look at the above posts that are "stressing" about how Husky fans are stalking the kid. Again, I'm fine with going after the kid, but I just can't see getting excited about some kid who said that he had no interest in UW but immediately bowed to pressure from somewhere and added them back onto the list. He'll end up wherever he ends up. My biggest issue with kids like this is that people seem to get real wrapped in a kid that we have a pretty damned small chance of landing and I don't get that.
This is why I only bother to check recruiting on signing day. Until then, it doesn't matter who said what, who got an offer, or who verbaled where.

You sure have a lot to say about a topic you have no interest in.

And who, exactly, is wrapped up in this kid? Other than you, that is?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT