ADVERTISEMENT

Some Good Run and Shoot Vids Featuring Hawaii Film

Just a quick observation......pretty wide splits......just like Leach preferred?

I would say that his splits..at least in this video are fairly similar to his WSU splits...but not his Tech splits.

What I found interesting is one side almost run blocks on pass plays while the other side plays more of a traditional game.

Not sure if you saw the video on one of their Go concept but it is pretty cool how they do their reads pre-snap. I've seen it before on another video.

I think a lot of people are concerned about the receivers having to read and adjust mid route...but it is my understanding that only one receiver does that...and they are pretty simple reads.

They rely heavily on the guy in motion(the adjuster) to help determine coverage whereas the air raid I don't think the offense/routes were quite as predicated on the coverage except for sitting in a spot when zone and continue running when its man.

Right before the snap, the qb already eliminates 2 receivers based on the coverage so he really only has to worry about 2 receivers in route once the ball is snapped.

Just my understanding of it. Pretty cool stuff if you ask me.

The guy doing these videos is really high on Rolovich.

I like the R&S concept. As with any O, it is a function of execution. A team with the right personnel and execution could make any O work today...winged T, triple option, 4 wide, double TE, I formation, you name it. If you have the right bodies and you execute properly then any O will work. It is when you don't have equivalent bodies that the various O schemes start to separate. The Air Raid requires the D back 7 to not make mistakes...because if they do, it will show them up. You could say the same about the I formation and the D front 7 not making mistakes. Or the wishbone and having the edge front guys and back 4 make the right decisions. The R&S puts pressure on a slightly different group than the Air Raid, but either way if the D makes a mistake and the O executes, then the D will pay. The nice thing about the R&S is that it has so much of a vertical element, that if the D messes up it can well be a TD. I like the risk/reward for the O.

Reactions: spongeworthy12
I like the R&S concept. As with any O, it is a function of execution. A team with the right personnel and execution could make any O work today...winged T, triple option, 4 wide, double TE, I formation, you name it. If you have the right bodies and you execute properly then any O will work. It is when you don't have equivalent bodies that the various O schemes start to separate. The Air Raid requires the D back 7 to not make mistakes...because if they do, it will show them up. You could say the same about the I formation and the D front 7 not making mistakes. Or the wishbone and having the edge front guys and back 4 make the right decisions. The R&S puts pressure on a slightly different group than the Air Raid, but either way if the D makes a mistake and the O executes, then the D will pay. The nice thing about the R&S is that it has so much of a vertical element, that if the D messes up it can well be a TD. I like the risk/reward for the O.

Great point about the vertical element. I was thinking the same thing.

Those matchups should be there because teams won't be able to drop 8 in coverage because we will run it until they switch it up.

I know that Yogi Roth is over the moon about the run and shoot(and the hire).

Great point about the vertical element. I was thinking the same thing.

Those matchups should be there because teams won't be able to drop 8 in coverage because we will run it until they switch it up.

I know that Yogi Roth is over the moon about the run and shoot(and the hire).

The offense will look amazing at times. Horrifying at others. I expect it to become quite polarizing.

Reactions: random soul
MB has had 2 seasons pissed away by a coach that refused logic.

If he breaks loose this year, 20 carries per game, he and the WR group could have monster stats.

Reactions: spongeworthy12

If he breaks loose this year, 20 carries per game, he and the WR group could have monster stats.

Even 14 to 16 to 18 carries would be enough, when combined with 3 to 5 to 7 to 9 receptions by MB, and the QB doing either 2,3,4, or 3,4,5 QB runs.

That is enough to keep a defense honest, and create opportunities for big plays for QB, MB, WR's.

And Rolo's Run and Shoot, usually gives about 12 to 14 to 16 carries to the RB, 11 carries at extreme minimum.

Thats a lot better then only 6 to 8 to 10 carries for MB in the Air Raid.

20-25 carries would be awesome but Mcintosh looked good and has a ton of talent. Between those two and Bazil with Borghi getting the bulk would be ideal.

If Travell Harris catches on to this offense and develops a rapport with whoever our new QB ends up being, look out.

I think we may see some situational read option as well. I was watching some of the Arizona game last night and early on I saw it twice but he handed the ball off to the back both times...but I looked at all of the box scores from last year and the qb does run the ball in this offense.

I saw a beautifully designed QB draw that went for something like 12 yards.

It was a Picasso.

I'll take the under on Borghi getting 20 carries a game. All of Hawaii's RBs combined had 256 carries over 15 games, which is about 17 carries per game. Could have been a function of personnel, but in 2018, it was similar (about 18 carries a game from RBs).

Add in McIntosh and others getting some carries and we're probably looking at Borghi getting 12 to 15 a game.

In fact, don't tell Max (or Biggs), but as I said months ago, I wouldn't be surprised to see Max get about the same touches under Rolovich than he got under Leach. Look at the numbers for Rolovich's R&S the past couple years. Virtually no receptions by the RBs. Again, could have been a function of personnel, and we have reason to believe Rolovich will tailor the offense to the personnel he has, but this wouldn't shock me at all.

My base case is Borghi getting about the same number of touches under Rolovich as he did under Leach, with the only difference being a few of them will be handoffs instead of receptions. Perhaps 1 or 2 more a game. Whee.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
I'll take the under on Borghi getting 20 carries a game. All of Hawaii's RBs combined had 256 carries over 15 games, which is about 17 carries per game. Could have been a function of personnel, but in 2018, it was similar (about 18 carries a game from RBs).

Add in McIntosh and others getting some carries and we're probably looking at Borghi getting 12 to 15 a game.

In fact, don't tell Max (or Biggs), but as I said months ago, I wouldn't be surprised to see Max get about the same touches under Rolovich than he got under Leach. Look at the numbers for Rolovich's R&S the past couple years. Virtually no receptions by the RBs. Again, could have been a function of personnel, and we have reason to believe Rolovich will tailor the offense to the personnel he has, but this wouldn't shock me at all.

My base case is Borghi getting about the same number of touches under Rolovich as he did under Leach, with the only difference being a few of them will be handoffs instead of receptions. Perhaps 1 or 2 more a game. Whee.

If the offense is run the same way, Borghi may get less. Very few passes to the RB.

And the you’re the resident expert on ridiculous predictions. You’ll be bitching and moaning about the lack of runs in the Run and Shoot too.

I made 1 prediction that was a 50/50 proposition..and while he had success, he didn't get it done in the Apple Cups...and he didn't win a conference championship.

Price won 2 with a lot less in the resources dept.

You need new material.

Rolo also doesn't rotate many receivers which I found shocking. I suspect we are more likely to have 3 1000 yard receivers than we are getting Borghi 18+ carries a game.

No one wants to make this prediction but most likely the one player who sees the biggest jump in workload is Oscar.

I made 1 prediction that was a 50/50 proposition..and while he had success, he didn't get it done in the Apple Cups...and he didn't win a conference championship.

Price won 2 with a lot less in the resources dept.

You need new material.

I don't know about you, but I'm not going to beat my chest over a 3-11 Apple Cup record.

We'll always be grateful for Price's role in getting us back to the Rose Bowl but, let's be honest, there is a reason he wasn't rumored to be in the running for other jobs every off-season. No way he would survive in today's media climate.

He inherited a team with some talent.
1989: 6-5
1990: 3-8
1991: 4-7 at which point his seat would be getting pretty hot.
1992: 9-3 saved his job
1993: 5-6
1994: 8-4
1995: 3-8
1996: 5-6
1997: 10-2
1998: 3-8
1999: 3-9
2000: 4-7
2001: 10-2
2002: 10-3

I'm starting to think Ernie Kent at Oregon is a good comp for Price's tenure here. In many ways his record wasn't impressive but two Rose Bowls (Elite Eights) at a historically weak program is something you can't take away from the guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT